Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinefirefistace
Stranger
First time grower , dialing in tent before i start my seeds, (Thermal problems & general questions)
    #848461 - 07/03/21 12:07 PM (2 years, 8 months ago)

Hello

Im about to start my first grow in a 4x4 tent with viparspectre 480 watt grow light  , trying to grow some auto flower blueberry seeds

Currently I have been having trouble getting my temperatures below 80 degrees

currently I have two 16 fans blowing in the inside of my tent , a 6 inch booster fan hooked up to an ac vent , and a 6 inch infinity fan for exhaust yet still I cannot lower past 80 degrees even while its like 70 degrees in my own house .

I have my thermometer hanging in the center of my tent about 18-24 inches below the light , I've read you should have your thermometer where your canopy would be so that's what im testing , is this a good or bad place for the thermometer , not sure if it should be on the side not getting hit by the densest light .

Other general questions :

For soilless ratios , is it measured by volume or weight ,  especially for coco i assume its dry not wet weight?

How much wind is too much wind? Ive got these 2 16 inch fans in the canopy set on low , one for top canopy and one for bottom i guess , but just wanna make sure i wont cause wind burn on them with low

since i dont plan to transplant my autos , do i just put some mycorrhizae in the "soil" when i mix it

Edit  long time shroomery member , that community is great so i figured this one would be too

Edited by firefistace (07/03/21 12:08 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRider420
Stranger

Re: First time grower , dialing in tent before i start my seeds, (Thermal problems & general questions) [Re: firefistace]
    #848464 - 07/03/21 04:45 PM (2 years, 8 months ago)

Good news dude you can leave you tent open to let more air flow because you have auto-flowering plants. Use one of those fans to blow air into your tent this should get the temp down to 75 or so. And soilless mixes go by volume. I would not bother with mycorrhizae if your not using soil.

Your lucky here in the Okanagan valley it hit 45C or 110F But i have a dedicated A/C unit to cool my grow. Best of luck. :ganja:

Offlinefirefistace
Stranger
Re: First time grower , dialing in tent before i start my seeds, (Thermal problems & general questions) [Re: Rider420]
    #848465 - 07/03/21 05:46 PM (2 years, 8 months ago)

it also gets that hot here , why are auto flowers ok to have open tents for but photos are not?

I ended up borrow an old portable ac unit from dad , but it takes up like 1/4 of my tent so I dont want to use it if i dont have to

Offlineyoosername
Strange

Loc: Somewhere under the Sun
Re: First time grower , dialing in tent before i start my seeds, (Thermal problems & general questions) [Re: firefistace]
    #848466 - 07/03/21 11:46 PM (2 years, 8 months ago)

To be honest, 80ยบ F isn't all that hot.  It's actually on the low side of the butter zone for LED's without infrared.  Since I assume yours has IR, you'll need to run the tent a bit cooler to compensate for how much the IR heats the leaves. 

I'm really not sure how much IR they put in these lights, but I doubt it's much compared to the output from a HID bulb.  Best way to know for sure would be with a laser thermometer.

Are you experiencing any problems with the grow that you attribute to heat?

Second question; What is your humidity?  When running warmer room temperatures with LED, you have to increase the humidity as well, to maintain the same vapor pressure deficit range. 

You will also need plenty of wind to avoid rot with higher humidities, it sounds like you have this covered.  Just make sure the leaves are dancing and not having a seizure.  Anywhere where there are two overlapping leaves that aren't getting air flow, water droplets will form from the trapped transpiration.  This can lead to PM outbreaks, and even rot in flowering.

Quote:

firefistace said:
it also gets that hot here , why are auto flowers ok to have open tents for but photos are not?

The whole reason for tents is to create a controlled environment.  This includes eliminating things like light pollution during the dark cycle of flowering.  Light pollution can cause plants to hermie, and pollinate your entire crop.  This doesn't happen with autoflowers, because rather than depending on the photoperiod (light cycle) to flower, they are genetically programmed to "auto-flower" at a specified point in their maturity.  You can flower autos under 24/0 light, whereas photoperiods depend on 12 hours of darkness to build up enough of the flowering hormones to initiate the transition.

Edited by yoosername (07/03/21 11:54 PM)

Offlinefirefistace
Stranger
Re: First time grower , dialing in tent before i start my seeds, (Thermal problems & general questions) [Re: yoosername]
    #848467 - 07/04/21 12:02 AM (2 years, 8 months ago)

ive just been seeing online that i shouldnt go above 80-82 ideally so im trying to stay under that , i honestly havent started my grow yet really

I just finally got my seeds yesterday

I wanted to make sure i had everything set for the tent before i started putting plants in and stuff

do you need to change lights at all for auto flowers switching from "veg" to "flower" or can you leave them on 24-0 through the whole grow

Offlineyoosername
Strange

Loc: Somewhere under the Sun
    #848469 - 07/04/21 03:38 PM (2 years, 8 months ago)

You can run autos on any light cycle, 24/0 is common to keep temperatures consistent in cooler climates, or to minimize the effect of light pollution.  If you run them on 12/12 with some photos, you may get a reduced yield if you cannot keep the DLI the same.  Something in the middle like 18/6 or 20/4 would work as well.

Which strains/breeders did you go with?  New beans are always exciting, like you can feel the raw dank potential the seeds contain :vaped:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom