Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Capsules

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinecannabispatient
GOD
Male User Gallery

Glass dab straw question
    #848207 - 06/08/21 02:49 PM (2 years, 9 months ago)

Hi, earlier today I read online, in two different places, that GLASS dab straws should be heated with regular Bic lighters when taking dabs.
I realize that MOST dab straws have either a quartz or titanium tip which could not be sufficiently heated with a regular Bic lighter and it wouldn't work.
But I have an ALL GLASS dab straw.
I have never used it before and really want to use it now.
So should I follow the advice I read elsewhere and only heat the tip with a regular Bic lighter?
They said that a regular Bic lighter would get the glass tip hot enough to take dabs.
I need some clarification on this matter.
Thank you.

--------------------
I am Jah Jesus Christ Snoop Doggy Dogg Burning Marijuana Tree Lord Shiva King Death Row Kambodia Allah Mahavishnu Masta Killa King Wu-Tang Gautauma Buddha Om Krishna.
My name is Nishith Vijay a.k.a. CannabisPatient

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineyoosername
Strange

Loc: Somewhere under the Sun
Re: Glass dab straw question [Re: cannabispatient]
    #848208 - 06/08/21 04:45 PM (2 years, 9 months ago)

Hey man, long time no see!

When I had an all glass straw, I heated the tip with something like this.  It didn't take long for me to break it while cleaning, I hope yours is a little more durable than mine was.

OfflineJenny
Female User Gallery

Re: Glass dab straw question [Re: yoosername]
    #848209 - 06/08/21 05:16 PM (2 years, 9 months ago)

usually u could use any type of glass piece from grasscity

Offlinecannabispatient
GOD
Male User Gallery

#848226 - 06/15/21 12:26 PM (2 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

yoosername said:

When I had an all glass straw, I heated the tip with something like this.  It didn't take long for me to break it while cleaning, I hope yours is a little more durable than mine was.

Hi friend! You're right, long time no see, how 'ya been?
I see that you posted a link of micro-torch lighters.
I have two of those; however:
I read a couple of posts from someone who works for Grav glass company and they sell all-glass dab straws, and he said to ALWAYS, ONLY use regular Bic lighters on glass-tip dab straws and never torch lighters or micro-torches.
He said glass dab straws reach the optimal temperature required for dabbing with a simple Bic lighter, and that torch-style lighters would ruin glass dab straws.
I guess you're only supposed to use torches/micro-torches on quartz or titanium-tip straws.
But how long would you need to heat the glass-tip with a Bic lighter?
I have never done this...
Also wouldn't a Bic create black soot on the tip of the dab straw?
This is no big deal really as that stuff can be wiped away easily (I used to heat oil burners with a Bic...)
Thanks for your input.

--------------------
I am Jah Jesus Christ Snoop Doggy Dogg Burning Marijuana Tree Lord Shiva King Death Row Kambodia Allah Mahavishnu Masta Killa King Wu-Tang Gautauma Buddha Om Krishna.

Offlineyoosername
Strange

#848237 - 06/16/21 02:35 PM (2 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

cannabispatient said:
Quote:

yoosername said:

Hi friend! You're right, long time no see, how 'ya been?
I see that you posted a link of micro-torch lighters.
I have two of those; however:
I read a couple of posts from someone who works for Grav glass company and they sell all-glass dab straws, and he said to ALWAYS, ONLY use regular Bic lighters on glass-tip dab straws and never torch lighters or micro-torches.
He said glass dab straws reach the optimal temperature required for dabbing with a simple Bic lighter, and that torch-style lighters would ruin glass dab straws.
I guess you're only supposed to use torches/micro-torches on quartz or titanium-tip straws.
But how long would you need to heat the glass-tip with a Bic lighter?
I have never done this...
Also wouldn't a Bic create black soot on the tip of the dab straw?
This is no big deal really as that stuff can be wiped away easily (I used to heat oil burners with a Bic...)
Thanks for your input.

I've been pretty good, still got some medical stuff going on but that seems to be a constant in my life.

It is a lot easier to overheat the glass with torch style lighters, which is probably why they recommend regular ones.  I may have weakened mine by using the torch on it too much, idk.  I would think a regular bic would leave black soot as well. 

I'd heat it for maybe 10 seconds or so, depending on how thick the glass is.  You kind of have to go by feel with these things until you gain a little experience.

Offlinecannabispatient
GOD
Male User Gallery

#848254 - 06/17/21 01:31 PM (2 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks Yoosername for your valuable input.
After talking to you and to my sister about this, I have decided to use my micro-torch lighter on my new dab straw, rather than heating it with a Bic.
I think that even if a Bic lighter worked, like some claim it does, it would probably take a very long time for the dab straw to actually get hot enough to take dabs.
Yours reached optimal temperature in just ten seconds with a micro-torch?
That is great!
I read that some dab straws take even less time to heat up to the optimal temperature.
I was wondering if you know which micro-torch(es) is/are the best?
Since I plan on dabbing a lot with my dab straw in the near future I figured it would be good to have a steady source of good torch-lighters (I don't plan to refill them when they are spent...)
Thanks again man!

--------------------

Offlineyoosername
Strange

#848255 - 06/17/21 02:11 PM (2 years, 9 months ago)

I'd start on the colder side if you are still experimenting, you don't want it too hot.  My straw had a very fine tip, so it heated up fast, maybe 5-7 seconds.
Keep in mind I am pulling these estimations out of my ass, as I haven't used a straw since mine broke over 4 years ago.

Why only disposable torches?  The vectors I linked are refillable and come with a pretty solid warranty.

For disposables, I'd probably try something like these.  Clipper is a well known brand, though I've never tried their torch lighters.

Offlinecannabispatient
GOD
Male User Gallery

#848448 - 06/29/21 10:21 AM (2 years, 8 months ago)

Hi again yoosername.
Yes I am still experimenting, actually I haven't even used my brand new dab straw yet.
It is from the brand Pulsar, and is called "melting bubble dab straw."
It looks awesome and was inexpensive.
It really only took just over five seconds for your dab straw to heat to the optimal temperature with a micro-torch?
That is awesome.
I've heard of dab straws with glass tips melting shut, and the glass fusing together because of excessive heat from a torch.
I want to avoid this as much as possible of course.
Was your straw hot when you tried to clean it? Was that why it broke?
And why haven't you used a dab straw since?
Do you like rigs better?
If the whole dab straw thing doesn't work out for me then I have a backup plan: I also purchased an amazing "Black Leaf" glass oil pipe with a large opening on the bulb.
I will simply vape dabs/shatter out of my glass oil burner pipe - they vape hash perfectly, and from what I've read, they work great for vaping dabs too.

--------------------

Offlineyoosername
Strange

#848449 - 06/29/21 12:29 PM (2 years, 8 months ago)

My straw broke because I dropped it in the kitchen sink whilst cleaning it.  It's possible that the heat/cooling cycles from repeated use with a torch lighter might have weakened the crystalline structure of the glass, but I'm still convinced it broke due to the fact that I am just clumsy.

I haven't used one since because the opportunity never arose.  I don't buy concentrates myself, as you get more cannabinoids per dollar with flower where I live, and whenever I go over to a friends house who dabs, they always have a solid rig to use.

I was considering picking up another straw the other day for medicating while I travel over the 4th, but it wouldn't get here in time if I ordered it, and the only one the local dispensary sells is $50.

If I ever get into dabs to the point where I use them daily, I'll probably invest in either an e-nail setup or a puffco peak pro.

I would not worry about melting the glass, just don't torch it until it glows.  As you're learning how hot to heat it, you might want to set up a series of small test dabs, where you won't waste much if you over or under heat it.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Capsules