Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Boomr Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineBlackHaze
Stranger
what is wrong with these seedlings?
    #846659 - 09/10/20 03:47 AM (3 years, 7 months ago)

1. Are you growing from seed or clones?
seed
2. How old are your plants?
13 days since planted (seed straight into soil)
3. How tall are your plants?
~4cm and ~5cm
4. What size containers are they planted in?
1L
5.What is your soil mix?
2 parts store bought compost : 1 part coconut coir
6. How often do you water and what type of water do you use and how much you give per watering?
been trying to keep the soil damp without mudding but having problems
7. What is the pH of your water?
8. What kind of fertilizer do you use and what is its NPK ratio?
none yet
9. Do you foliar feed or spray your plants with anything?
no
10. What kind of lights do you use and how many watts combined? (HPS, MH, fluorescent, halogen, incandescent "plant lights")
150w LED
11. How close are your lights to the plants?
60cm
12. What size is your grow space in square feet?
~5.5
13. What is the temperature and humidity in your grow space?
~25°C (77°F) / ~60
14. What is the pH of the soil?
~7 last checked
15. What is the pH of your run off?
untested
16. Have you noticed any insect activity in your grow space?
no

---------------

hi
i am having problems with a couple of seedlings and was hoping you guys could help me figure it out?

i am a first time grower and my problems seem to be only with 2 out of 5 seedlings, but the other 3 do look like they are 50/50 going to do well or follow the same path as the other two.
they all look a little pale and the two worst are yellowing on the tips and edges.
the worst of all of them is growing slower than the rest and only had one cotyledon as well as particularly slow growth with one of its first true leaves. this one could be a weak seed though.
they are all autos by the way, and the same strain.

when planting the only soil i could get at the time was store bought compost that happened to be very rich. i had some coconut coir lying around so i mixed what i had to a ratio of 2:1 compost to coir to try to help the compost, but it seems the result can still get muddy so i sometimes have to break it up with a stick.

the problems displayed quite early so i dug around the internet and found a few possible problems:

too much nutrients in the soil.
this seemed likely to me from day one because of the soil i had to use. the only hope here was that they would last long enough to grow into the soil. i dont want to repot them his early unless absolutely necessary.

heat.
i had some heat problems with temperatures getting up to 30°C (86°F) but i have managed to get on top of that the last couple of days.

soil pH.
my soil seemed to have a pH of 7+, so this could be part of the problem. i bought a pH meter, calibrated it, then amended my filtered tap water with a small amount of lemon juice to bring the pH down to 6.5, but it will take a while to see if that helps.

over/under-watering.
this is something i have been struggling with. at first i thought i was over-watering them, so i reduced the amount, which seemed to help for a day, then they looked worse again, so i watered them, but it seemed to be too much or something, i just cant seem to feel comfortable about the amount of water they need.
it makes it worse because the soil sometimes does not drain very well.

as you can see i am a little overwhelmed trying to fight this problem so was hoping you guys might be able to have a look and see what you think.

these are the two that i am having problems with.
the first is the worst one, but its a bad picture.
the second is not as bad and is not displaying size problems like the first, but is yellowing around the edges and you can see better in that photo.
sorry about the photos, i can get better ones if needed.

thank you for the help

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineyoosername
Strange

Loc: Somewhere under the Sun
Re: what is wrong with these seedlings? [Re: BlackHaze]
    #846660 - 09/10/20 01:28 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

I would use a more complete soil recipe if you are trying to grow organically.  I would also use peat moss instead of coco coir.  Keep in mind most store bought compost will be inferior to compost straight from the farm.

If you're going to feed bottled nutes, I'd just run straight coco.

OfflineBlackHaze
Stranger
Re: what is wrong with these seedlings? [Re: yoosername]
    #846664 - 09/11/20 01:44 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

thank you for the reply.
unfortunately the store bought stuff was my only option. i had the coir lying around so i just used it to try to make the overall soil not so rich.

as for the nutrients, i had not given them anything at all when the pictures were taken, but i was still worried about excess nutrients because of the soil.
is it common to run germination through to vegetation using compost (better compost than mine) then? i assumed it would be far too rich for the seedlings. if it is okay for seedlings then i am even more confused than before.

----------------

today i raised my lights by about 7cm. after looking through even more pictures my mind is swaying more towards light stress. fingers crossed that will help.

they also had their first feed of nutrients (biobizz root juice), but i stuck with quarter dose for now to see how it goes.

thanks for the help

Offlineyoosername
Strange

#846665 - 09/11/20 02:12 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

Some composts can be planted in directly, but most should be used for, at most, 40% of a soil's total volume.  General rule of thumb is 1/3 compost, 1/3 peat moss, 1/3 aeration component such as perlite.  This is more for organic growing with dry amendments.

OfflineBlackHaze
Stranger
    #846666 - 09/12/20 04:16 AM (3 years, 7 months ago)

thank you.
i was given some biobizz nutrients to use from a friend. if i was to do a 1:1:1 ratio of compost, peat moss and perlite would that remove the need for any of the nutrients?
the nutrients i have are "root juice", "heaven", "top-max", "bloom" and "grow".
my plan at the moment is to feed at quarter dose and see how it goes. is that too much still?

i already have compost and perlite, i should be able to pick up some peat moss locally i think.

thank you so much for the help <3

Offlineyoosername
Strange

#846668 - 09/12/20 11:54 AM (3 years, 7 months ago)

You still need to provide nutrients, but with organics you do this by adding dry amendments to the soil mix.  The soil biology breaks down the dry amendments into available nutrients over time.  There are many different soil recipes out there, and you may need to tweak whichever recipe you're using depending on the ingredients you have, but if you get it right, once you mix it up, the rest of the grow is pretty low maintenance.

I just mixed up a batch of soil about 20 days ago, letting it "cook" for 10 more days before I plant in it.  I can share the recipe if you'd like, but it's an untested recipe so I'm still not sure how well it will work yet.

Since you already have nutrients, I would grow with them for now.  Unfortunately I can't help much with bottled nutes, as I have little experience in that area.

OfflineBlackHaze
Stranger
    #846695 - 09/18/20 01:52 AM (3 years, 6 months ago)

thank you
yea i would love to hear the recipe.
i am stuck with what i have for this grow so hopefully they do okay. i cant even get any peat moss yet so i am going to use compost and perlite and crossed fingers :/

it seems i must have been slightly misguided by my friend as far as nutrients go. i am not surprised though, he is still quite new to it himself.
next time i will take my time getting the soil right and ditch the biobizz schedule. i knew it did not feel right :smile:

thank you very much for the help <3

Offlineyoosername
Strange

#846703 - 09/18/20 12:13 PM (3 years, 6 months ago)

No problem, happy to help!

The recipe is as follows;

7.5 gal Canadian Sphagnum Peat Moss
7.5 gal Compost
8.5 gal Perlite
1.5 gal Biochar

1 cup alfalfa meal
1 cup fish bone flour
2 cups kelp meal
2 cups crab meal
2 cups neem meal
1 cup dolomite lime
1 cup gypsum
2 cups basalt rock dust

I used mostly dairy cow compost with a bit of worm castings.  If you are planning on starting an organic grow, it is highly recommended that you start a worm bin early on.  Homemade castings can be made with the best ingredients, including dynamic accumulators such as comfrey, nettle, and dandelion, as well as dry amendments from the soil mix.  This way you can "pre-cycle" the nutrients ahead of time, and use the castings as a readily available top-dressing.

I didn't realize biobizz was an organic nutrient line.  Probably still good stuff, but when I tried a similar product (nftg) I got sick of all the bottles.

If you have some time and want to learn more about organics, I'd check out the KIS Organics Podcast.

OfflineBlackHaze
Stranger
    #846707 - 09/19/20 05:06 AM (3 years, 6 months ago)

thank you <3
i will spend this grow time getting a good soil mix for next time. sounds like i am going to need a lot of components.

a good, organic soil does seem to be the way to go. i also hate all the bottles! i knew there must be a better way when i started using them. vegetables are not this needy! :grin:
it seems that the biobizz line strongly relies on using their soil too, which i do not have. it is probably great with their soil but i have just been giving quarter to half measures just to be safe.

the plants seem to be improving but theyre still not great (i will try to get some photos up). im not sure which change helped them but they are growing a little better now. it feels like i am always fighting something though and they have never been quite happy :frown:
it will get easier with time once i learn what i am doing :grin:

thanks for the link, that will keep me busy for a while!
and thanks for all the help <3 youve given me a lot of great info to point me in the right direction here. next run will be better!
thanks <3

OfflineBlackHaze
Stranger
    #846709 - 09/19/20 12:26 PM (3 years, 6 months ago)

heres how they are looking now at 3 weeks 1 day since planting. any ideas what they might need?

Offlineyoosername
Strange

#846711 - 09/20/20 09:40 AM (3 years, 6 months ago)

They look overwatered, you can tell they are cannibalizing the lower leaves and are a pale shade of green.  I'd imagine a mix like that would be pretty easy to overwater.  Some people even go up to 50% aeration or more for their mixes, utilizing pine bark as a part of the aeration component.  Much more difficult to overwater that way.

I think keeping them healthy will be an uphill battle, but you can try giving them some N after the soil dries out.

OfflineBlackHaze
Stranger
    #846722 - 09/23/20 04:11 AM (3 years, 6 months ago)

thank you for looking
i am going to pot them up today. i only have the same compost and some perlite so i screened the compost and mixed 2 parts with 1 part perlite. it feels much nicer than the compost alone and it doesnt clump together for more than a couple of seconds before breaking apart.

they are due a feed today, once ive potted them, so i will give them half feed instead of their usual quarter to help get more nitrogen into them.

thank you very much for the help <3 if these girls pull through i feel like i owe you at least my biggest bud :laugh:

OfflineCannabrainz
Grower
Male

#846950 - 11/25/20 11:48 PM (3 years, 4 months ago)

They are getting too much nuits or PH is off. Flush with a ph'ed and ppm'd clonex and water mix. Your growth is being slowed fix asap. Test ph of run off water

OfflineBlackHaze
Stranger
Re: what is wrong with these seedlings? [Re: Cannabrainz]
    #847210 - 01/13/21 04:31 AM (3 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Cannabrainz said:
They are getting too much nuits or PH is off. Flush with a ph'ed and ppm'd clonex and water mix. Your growth is being slowed fix asap. Test ph of run off water

thank you for the reply. this forum seems surprisingly dead compared to the sister forum so i have not logged in for a while.

these plants went very badly and the return was slightly over 21g of some of the worst bud i have smoked in my life :grin:

i am on attempt 2 now and they are going much better so far, but i still have a lot of learning to do.

on another weed forum it was advised to me that it was not necessary and i was wasting my time balancing the pH of my water/feed in soil. do you know of any comparisons done with it? i am not really sure what i should be doing.
i started balancing with white distilled vinegar and evaporating the chlorine (and was doing that when i posted this. i think infested soil was the cause of this) but then stopped, but now i dont know what i should be doing.

the plants are doing okay but they are not amazing, so i wonder what i can be correcting. maybe balancing, or not, is one of them.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Boomr Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale