Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinerobiolic
Stranger
Do I really have to use HPS? * 1
    #828510 - 09/13/17 04:17 AM (6 years, 6 months ago)

Do I really beed to buy hps to flower my plant?
I know they are recommended but they are pretty expensive and consume alot.
Is it possible to flower with low Lumen CFLS? yellow color?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRider420
Stranger

Re: Do I really have to use HPS? [Re: robiolic] * 1
    #828521 - 09/13/17 11:44 AM (6 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

robiolic said:
Do I really beed to buy hps to flower my plant?
I know they are recommended but they are pretty expensive and consume alot.
Is it possible to flower with low Lumen CFLS? yellow color?

It depends do you want 2 grams or 200 grams of bud?
Even a 70 watt HPS will produce way more bud then 140 watts of CFLSs.

Offlineyoosername
Strange

Loc: Somewhere under the Sun
Re: Do I really have to use HPS? [Re: Rider420]
    #828524 - 09/13/17 12:30 PM (6 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah HPS has been the industry standard for years, though there are other options.  LED's would be the way to go if you had the money and could build your own, CMH is another solid light for terp production.  The best choice would be sunlight.

You could get some light, fluffy buds from the right set of fluoros, but they're really best used as a veg light.

I recommend you try growing one plant under that light just for shits and giggles.  Do a side by side with a real light source.  You will be amazed by the difference in growth rate.

Offlinecdmc1984
Stranger

Re: Do I really have to use HPS? [Re: robiolic]
    #828525 - 09/13/17 02:01 PM (6 years, 6 months ago)

They are right cfl bulbs just don't do the job. every one who knows will say the same thing. Now what I have been known to do is run a MH bulb up until I want to change over to bud and switch on the cfl's for the shorter time. well they're more like T5's but crappy T5's until I start to see hairs but by then I got my bulbs changed over and fyi yes they are a little pricy but there is no substitute for a good MH / HPS Magnetic Ballast that takes both MH/HPS bulbs my opinion top notch. and alway try not to make skin contact with the bulbs the oil from your skin burns bulbs out faster. and the magnetic ballast last for ever they pay for themselves in time.

Invisiblecaptain.koons
Failed Botanist
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Do I really have to use HPS? [Re: cdmc1984]
    #828618 - 09/17/17 05:23 PM (6 years, 6 months ago)

HPS or similarly powered light source such as leds(I recommend CoB for flowering), metal halide, cool metal halide are going to be essential for quality flower production.

If you haven't already purchased a HID light I highly recommend starting with that before experimenting with other light sources.

--------------------

TROLLS NEED LOVE TOO!

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Do I really have to use HPS? [Re: captain.koons]
    #828862 - 10/05/17 08:06 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

cool metal halide?  you mean ceramic metal halide?

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

OfflineChwyn
Lurker

Re: Do I really have to use HPS? [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #828899 - 10/08/17 05:21 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

I have seen a few nice grows using CFL but by time you pack enough fixtures in your tent you couldve just bought a HPS

OfflineBig Bear
Earf Child

Loc: In Love, On Time Flag
Re: Do I really have to use HPS? [Re: Chwyn]
    #828901 - 10/08/17 06:46 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

you do not want to flower with a normal metal halide.  a ceramic metal halide is fine.  You can veg with an hps, but its better to veg with flourescent or metal halide to better mimic the spectrum they want. 

but yeah, just get an HID light (meaning a ballast, and HPS/MH bulbs) and switch the bulbs when flowering. 

High pressure sodium lights still remain the industry standard, because they work.  in a 4x4 space you can do 2 pounds every 60 days no fuckin problem with an HPS light.  Good luck doing anything anywhere near that for a reasonable price with other methods. 

LEDs are cool I guess...but you won't save much money on wattage, only on cooling costs.  so for a small grow since you don't need an AC you literally are paying the same price for half the yield.  My friend has this 600 watt LED he raves about, but he harvests like 12 ounces every two months...for the same 600 watts and an HPS light he should be doing 24 ounces every two months.

--------------------
:gd_icon:Still Alive:gd_icon:

Offlinefunky
Smoker
 User Gallery

Re: Do I really have to use HPS? [Re: Big Bear]
    #828918 - 10/09/17 02:32 AM (6 years, 5 months ago)

Hps/mh are definitely the way to go if money is tight. Led technology has come a long way since the blurple days. I'm running cob leds 300 watts in a 2x4 tent and I yield 13-16 zips in 9 weeks. There not cheap but for the saving in electricity, with very little heat to deal with make it well worth it for me.

24 zips from a 600 watt hps is reaching a bit far. Most people are getting around .75 gram a watt from hps lighting there are those few that I've seen 1+ gram a watt but from 1000 watt gavitas that are more efficient than  the normal hps bulbs.

Edited by funky (10/09/17 02:37 AM)

OfflineBig Bear
Earf Child

Re: Do I really have to use HPS? [Re: funky]
    #829028 - 10/16/17 10:26 AM (6 years, 5 months ago)

We often hit 24 zips with 600 watters at my job :shrug:

--------------------

Offlinefunky
Smoker
 User Gallery

Re: Do I really have to use HPS? [Re: Big Bear]
    #829029 - 10/16/17 10:38 AM (6 years, 5 months ago)

Most of use don't have grows pushing 10,000+ watts lol. Awesome garden tho.  Did they use 600's to get better coverage? Either way it's a shit ton of light.

OfflineBig Bear
Earf Child

Re: Do I really have to use HPS? [Re: funky]
    #829030 - 10/16/17 01:55 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

for sure, i I'm just saying its TOTALLY doable to do 1.25 to 1.5 per 600 watt light if you train properly, have healthy plants, and prune the larf. 

We actually have 600 bc the warehouse I manage is the smallest of my company's three warehouses.  We are the red headed step child they don't like spending money on us.  Plus we've been having AC problems and stuff that always get bandaids put on them and are recurring.  But our warehouse is the least profitable so we get the least swanky shit, plus I work on the medical side and the prices and demand have plummeted here in CO for medical.  Reason being bc Rec weed is getting so cheap people don't feel the need to buy cards and see doctors and all that stuff.

We got 3 warehouses, mine has about 44k watts (600s and a few 1000s) of flower power, but the big ones have 90,000 watts and the 140,000 watts. 

I guess my point to OP is that HID (meaning HPS/MH lights) are still the industry standard for a reason.  A single light can get you over an LB no problem.  Thing is for small grows often you have to have similar wattage LED to get comparable yields.  The real savings are in HVAC which you shouldn't really need much of in a small home grow anyway if you move air right. 

LEDs seem like a  nice option but my buddy has one of those supposedly really nice 600 watt leds in a 4x4 tent and gets short of an lb every harvest.  ID rather throw a thousand in the same space and get 2 lbs every harvest.  Literally double the return in the same space for an extra 20 bucks a month electrical or so.  But what you lose in electric you more than make up for in yield. 

That's just my personal opinion and mean no offense to those who do great work with LED.  I just say throw up some HIDs and crank the shit out tho personally.  Definitely not a CFL

--------------------

Offlinefunky
Smoker
 User Gallery

Re: Do I really have to use HPS? [Re: Big Bear] * 1
    #829043 - 10/17/17 04:41 AM (6 years, 5 months ago)

No offense taken everyone has there own way of skinning a cat. Blurple leds do suck I will agree with that, but there are leds worth looking at. Cree, citizen, luminous cob leds can all put out 2+umoles/j driven at the rite current, I think chilledled has boards putting out about 2.6 umoles/j growmau5 has a bunch of videos on YouTube about them. Which none of the above would be cost effective for a commercial grow, I think cobs will be cheap enough one day but the prices need to come down on the quality chips.

An experienced grower can do a lot with 600 watts of hps and at the price per watt they won't be replaced anytime soon.  I do like what I've been seeing folks do with the cmh/lec lights tho very nice quality looking buds. I almost went that route when I started back in the hobby but the bulb replacement costs over a couple years was just way to high.

I can see the rec side killing off the medical side of cannabis soon or atleast narrow it down to a few specialty growers that just do medical.  I think the new reason for most states to legalize it is tax revenue now, not medical like it was years ago.

OfflineRadagastthebrown
Stranger

Re: Do I really have to use HPS? [Re: robiolic]
    #829967 - 11/27/17 06:05 AM (6 years, 3 months ago)

No, I have used l.e.d pur change ased f4om Wal-Mart with the covers taken off had pushed the envelope on yield with them. I had a 2 shop light white l.e.d. then 4 l.e.d blue/red bars that I secured with Velcro to the underside of the shop lights. Then got two 100 watt l.e.d bulbs with reflectors to add to my sides for flower or some extra uhmmph for veg. If you want high yields then yes byt they give off tons of heat for h.i.d lighting. But I can get the same if not better with l.e.d. my best yields have been from l.e.d.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals