Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineWolfiewolfie
The Alpha

Loc: Australia Flag
HELP!! Emergency question(s) about my Weed plant!!
    #823286 - 01/31/17 03:56 AM (7 years, 1 month ago)

Hey guys and gals!

Not sure if it helps but here is a little info on my plants:

Strain: Unknown, pretty sure a sativa strain by the long thin leaves.
Seed Origin: From local bush bud acquired while I was in Fiji.
Germination: Seeds planted early winter in a pot outside with a glass lid, then moved into greenhouse a few weeks after sprouting.
Nutrients: Only a small amount of seaweed extract when young and home made compost every few months. Always watered with rain tank water.
Age: Plants are currently around 7 months old from sprouting.
Growing Climate: Queensland, Australia.
Other: I have tipped them 3 or 4 times (waiting for them to recover each time) starting from a young age which may have something to do with the current issue.

The Problem
The last time I went down and watered my plants was 2 weeks ago and they were fine:

Then today I went to water them and found some of the branches had split and fallen down!?

Now I'm assuming the branches got too heavy and split under their own weight as the greenhouse eliminates the wind factor and I can rule out foul play or sabotage due to my highly sophisticated security system:

I'm not sure exactly how long ago this happened but the majority of leaves and tips look fairly green. I quickly taped up all of the splits and ran 15lb fishing line from the top of the greenhouse to the branches in order to help hold them up and stop this from happening again:

Will the taping of the splits work?
Will they heal or will they die?
Is there anything else I can do?

Also, for the past month or more I have noticed these black lumps all over my plants:

What are they?
Should I be worried?
If so, what can I do about it?

I'm very paranoid about them as I have never successfully grown a weed plant all the way to the harvest stage (many failed attempts) and these babies, being only a few months away from flowering, are my best attempt yet.

Which brings me to my final question. (Hopefully) being my first harvest, does anyone have any good information in regards to harvesting? I would like to harvest some early and some late to compare the different effects I have heard about but other than that I haven't given it much thought until now.

Thanks for taking the time to read this post and any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Peace.

--------------------

Relax, everything's out of control :smile:

Let us LOVE ourselves unconditionally and so fiercely,
That when others see us they know exactly how it should be done.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineParadigm Shift
Stranger

Re: HELP!! Emergency question(s) about my Weed plant!! [Re: Wolfiewolfie]
    #823289 - 01/31/17 07:12 AM (7 years, 1 month ago)

They look pretty beasty I think you need some netting or bean pole and ties for support.  Just a guess.

OfflineWolfiewolfie
The Alpha

Re: HELP!! Emergency question(s) about my Weed plant!! [Re: Paradigm Shift]
    #823297 - 01/31/17 08:25 AM (7 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Paradigm Shift said:
They look pretty beasty I think you need some netting or bean pole and ties for support.  Just a guess.

I didn't expect them to grow so big, not that i'm complaining or anything haha.

The pole and ties is a great idea. They still have just over 4 months of growing before they start flowering and by then I can only imagine how big / heavy the branches will be. Better safe than sorry.

Thanks!

--------------------

Offlinebudgrowerwannabe
Bum fighter
Male User Gallery

#823299 - 01/31/17 08:34 AM (7 years, 1 month ago)

Plants freaking huge!! Yea just stake and tie it up cause when the plant gets buds then its just going to get bigger and heavier!

Keep us updated I would like to see this monster finish !! Good luck!:jackiechanofapproval:

OfflineWolfiewolfie
The Alpha

Re: HELP!! Emergency question(s) about my Weed plant!! [Re: budgrowerwannabe]
    #823308 - 01/31/17 11:32 AM (7 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

budgrowerwannabe said:
Plants freaking huge!! Yea just stake and tie it up cause when the plant gets buds then its just going to get bigger and heavier!

Keep us updated I would like to see this monster finish !! Good luck!:jackiechanofapproval:

Thanks man :smile:

I just started a grow log if you are interested in following it:
https://www.growery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=823307&page=0&vc=1#823307

--------------------

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #823327 - 01/31/17 02:32 PM (7 years, 1 month ago)

Water more frequently man.  Two weeks is far too long for the size of those plants.  Probably want to get some nutrients for them as well.

Those bumps are worrisome. I'm not coming up with much trying to research them though man.  Seem indicative of  some sort of infestation. Have you seen any insects?

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

OfflineWolfiewolfie
The Alpha

Re: HELP!! Emergency question(s) about my Weed plant!! [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #823332 - 01/31/17 04:58 PM (7 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Hawksresurrection said:
Water more frequently man.  Two weeks is far too long for the size of those plants. 

That is when I have personally watered them and doesn't include rain. This area is susceptible to frequent heavy rainfall during the warmer months and I am always vigilant about mould.

Quote:

Hawksresurrection said:
Probably want to get some nutrients for them as well.

This is an area that I am not well educated in. Are there any nutrients you recommend?

Quote:

Hawksresurrection said:
Those bumps are worrisome. I'm not coming up with much trying to research them though man.  Seem indicative of  some sort of infestation. Have you seen any insects?

Apart from these black bumps I havent noticed any insects other than 6 or 7 spiders chilling in their webs.

I have spent ages googling the bumps and I am also yet to come up with anything. I might try and pry one off after work today, and perhaps take a few pictures under my digital microscope for you.

--------------------

OfflineWolfiewolfie
The Alpha

#823337 - 01/31/17 10:43 PM (7 years, 1 month ago)

So I went down and carefully cut a few of the black lumps off the plants to inspect under my microscope:

Apologies for the image quality, my microscope is overdue for a clean. The top side was rather boring, just like a black shell but here are the images I took of the under sides:

50x magnification:

200x magnification:

THEN I SAW MOVEMENT!!!
I quickly hit the video record button and, well:

What. The. Fuck.

Mystery solved: http://bugs.bio.usyd.edu.au/learning/resources/Entomology/internalAnatomy/imagePages/scale.html

--------------------

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #823338 - 01/31/17 10:50 PM (7 years, 1 month ago)

I knew it was going to be insect related

--------------------

-niteowl

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #823339 - 01/31/17 11:00 PM (7 years, 1 month ago)

I really have no idea what is available commercially where you are at.  I would personally make my own teas with things like earthworm casting and bat guano, add some crushed oyster shells and kelp and fish meal etc.  Do some googling on making nutrient teas.  You'll need a LARGE bucket and an air pump with stone. 

I knew it was going to be insect related somehow.  They look like aphids of some sort maybe, but I'm not real sure.  I would post it in a normal garden forum, just omit the fact that they are on a marijuana plant.

Looks like your plants are going to need some TLC man.  Rain water wont thoroughly saturate the medium that you are growing in.  So I implore that you visit more often than every two weeks, otherwise things are going to go downhill fast.

--------------------

-niteowl

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Loc: Earth (mostly) Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #823340 - 01/31/17 11:35 PM (7 years, 1 month ago)

A guy who sold me a cactus told me if there was any 'scale' on it to spray some neem on it and it should take care if it.

Looks like its a viable solution. They grow it commercially in oz so you should have access to it.
http://www.growweedeasy.com/barnacles-scales-cannabis

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
Bamboo Bongs I make | Perfect Dry and Cure | Grapegod under LED
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

OfflineWolfiewolfie
The Alpha

Re: HELP!! Emergency question(s) about my Weed plant!! [Re: phychotron]
    #823341 - 01/31/17 11:37 PM (7 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Hawksresurrection said:
I really have no idea what is available commercially where you are at.  I would personally make my own teas with things like earthworm casting and bat guano, add some crushed oyster shells and kelp and fish meal etc.  Do some googling on making nutrient teas.  You'll need a LARGE bucket and an air pump with stone. 

I knew it was going to be insect related somehow.  They look like aphids of some sort maybe, but I'm not real sure.  I would post it in a normal garden forum, just omit the fact that they are on a marijuana plant.

Looks like your plants are going to need some TLC man.  Rain water wont thoroughly saturate the medium that you are growing in.  So I implore that you visit more often than every two weeks, otherwise things are going to go downhill fast.

Thanks heaps for all your advice and taking the time to reply to my thread :smile:

Hopefully I can get this train back on track.

Quote:

phychotron said:
A guy who sold me a cactus told me if there was any 'scale' on it to spray some neem on it and it should take care if it.

Looks like its a viable solution. They grow it commercially in oz so you should have access to it.
http://www.growweedeasy.com/barnacles-scales-cannabis

Cheers for that, I will check it out!

--------------------

OfflineWolfiewolfie
The Alpha

#824317 - 03/02/17 05:34 AM (7 years, 27 days ago)

So I finally got the insect problem under control but sadly to one of my plants the damage had been done and it started to die so I had to pull the plug on it early. I ended up getting 224.6 grams of mini buds and tips though.

The smoke is very smooth. The high isn't instantaneous, it creeps up on you over 10-15 minutes and provides a very mellow, dreamy high with a side of energetic euphoria which I havent experienced from weed in a long time. Will be making some edibles for sure!

The big plant I have left is doing alright but as a backup plan I have made 3 clones from it which have rooted successfully.

Only 3 more months until winter!!! :laugh:

--------------------

Offlineice
Stranger
    #824328 - 03/02/17 09:44 AM (7 years, 27 days ago)

as far as the broken branches, if it happens again in the future, tape them, prop up the broken branches with stakes, whatever you have to do, just make sure the the two sides that broke are making good contact with each other, keep an eye on the break, if its getting dry spray with water, keep it moist but not constantly soaked (you want it to heal not rot). after a couple weeks theyll be healed. as long as it wasnt sitting there broken too long before you noticed.
this past summer I had a moose walk through my outdoor plants, two plants got broken stems, the stems that broke were so massively thick, i thought it was gonna be a lost cause, i taped them back together, get the break touching tightly and sprayed water on it 2 times, the day after i taped them the leaves stiffened up already, about 2 weeks later they started growing again.

Offlineice
Stranger
Re: HELP!! Emergency question(s) about my Weed plant!! [Re: ice]
    #824342 - 03/02/17 02:46 PM (7 years, 27 days ago)

i missed your post at the end about harvesting.
as far as harvesting at different times, if you harvest a lil early, I find you get more of a cerebral head buzz, but you will likely lose quite a bit of bud weight. those last two weeks are important to your plants. they put on a good bit of weight at the end, thats also when flavor and aroma come through to be what its supposed to be.
harvesting a lil later than peak, i find u get more of a couch locky kinda buzz. but if you like that kind of buzz, go for it, youll end up with a lil extra weight also, just dont let them go too far past peak, if you do, keep an eye out for male pollen sacks. as far as the plant is concerned, the only reason that plant exist, is to reproduce and continue on its species, it doesnt care what kind of buzz your looking for. when you turn your lights down to 12/12 that signals to the plant that winter is coming and it will die soon, so all your female plant cares about is getting some male pollen so she can make seeds and continue on her species, when her buds reach peak potencey, she knows that winter is right around the corner and she still hasnt been pollinated, so now shes confused, she should of had fully mature seeds by now. she goes into panick mode, and the bitch goes hermafrodite! crazy nature.

I know that was long, but the devils in the details, right.

as far as the harvest itself, everyone has there own process that they prefer, and if you continue to grow long enough, youll end up with a harvest process that you prefer also.
heres mine:

first, if you trimmed your buds by hand using scissors, than you know that to do a proper trim job it takes quite a bit longer than you think it would. after you chop your plants down it doesnt take very long before the leaves start to go limp, so if you have a bunch of plants, dont chop them all down at the same time, if you do, after a couple hours of trimming you WILL regret it, cause all the bud leaves are gonna be stuck to those sticky buds.
so, before you chop them, if there not crazy dense with leaves and branches, trim as many of the fan leaves as you can, its quicker to cut the fans while the plant is still in the pot, or chop it down and hang the whole plant upside down and trim your fan leaves.
either way, if you have a large number of plants, chop down 3 or 4 plants at a time, I go through the whole 3 or 4 plants and remove all the fan leaves right away, they go in the trash and all i got left to deal with is buds and sugary bud leaves. trim all the bud leaf off, right down to the bud, put that aside to dry, a few days later the bud leaves will be dry and ready to store, save it till you have a good bit, then you can use that for making hash, dab, edibles. now your left with nicely trimmed buds on long branches, ( I should of mentioned, after all my fan leaves are cut off, I cut all the branches off the main stalk, its easier to handle that way and much easier to get to all your bud leaves) now hang those branches in a dark, warm room, i run a fan on low UNDER the plants, no breaze from the fan actually hits the buds, it just slowly circulates the air. depending on the room temp and humidity, after around day 3-4 the outside of your buds should be starting to feel kinda crispy dry, just the very outside of the bud. at this point cut the buds off from the branch and bag them in a ziplock bag, after just a couple of hours take the buds out of the bag, theyll be soaked again, theyll feel wetter than they did when you first chopped the plant down, there not, the little stem in the center of all those buds hold alot of moisture in it, by bagging it for a few hours it allows the moisture in the bud and the stem to spread evenly, now take your bud out of the bag and set it on a screen in the same drying room conditions, in another 2-3 days the outside of the bud will feel crispy dry again, again its only the outside thats dry, so bag it up again, this time it may take 10-12 hours for the moisture to spread evenly, after that time dump your buds back on the screen and continue to dry, check every day, even twice a day wont hurt, as soon as the outside of the bud feels crispy dry again, bag it up again, now there wont be much moisture left to get out, so keep it bagged up for 24 hours, after that time it will feal pretty wet again, dump it back on your screen and repeat, continue going from drying screen to bag until you can keep your buds in the bag for 3-4 straight days and when you take them out theyll feel like they did when you bagged them days earlier, if they dont, put them back on the screen to dry a LITTLE BIT more, at this point they should only have to sit out for a few hours, keep an eye on them, dont let them overdry.

I know that was another rant, but i have seen so many people grow some gorgeous plants, put so much time and work into growing the plant, did everything right, then the very last stage, harvest, now they become impatient and rush the drying process, damn near ruins the finished product. be patient and do it the right way, you wont regret it people, you just spent months growing and babying this thing, whats another week.

hope this book helps :eek::grin:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies