Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinePlague_Wraith
Horseman

[Help] Hydroponic Questions - Probably Simple
    #819655 - 09/27/16 08:15 PM (7 years, 5 months ago)

Hello,  :hi:

Recently I've been studying hydroponics. I am preparing for my first project and have some questions that are probably very simple for you more experienced folks.  :rockon:

1. Here is the scenario: I took a cutting and rooted it in a glass of water or I have a young plant that I'd like to transfer from soil to my system. It has a healthy root system. How do I add it to my system? Do I just plop it down into the net pot and add hydroton or do I have to use something like a rockwool cube or a rapidrooter plug in addition to the hydroton? It's unclear if one would always use something like a rockwool cube or rapidrooter plug when using a hydroponic system.

2. After I get the rooted cutting/young plant into the system, how high should the water level be? How much of the roots should be covered?

3. Are there any guidelines as to how high the water level should be as the roots become longer/more established?

4. I know how to clean the reservoir and tubing for my system, however, it's unclear whether or not I have to clean the net pot and hydroton while they are actually being used to grow plants. Do I just set the net pot aside while cleaning the reservoir and tubing or do I actually clean the net pot and hydroton weekly/biweekly as well? If I do have to clean the net pot and hydroton, what is the method?

5. Is a walk-in closet with good airflow an appropriate location for a very small hydroponic setup (6 plants)? Is mildew ever a concern? I have no idea about the evaporation that occurs in a simple bucket system.

Thanks in advance for any helpful responses,  :cookiemonster:
PW

--------------------
Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured. - Mark Twain

Edited by Plague_Wraith (09/27/16 08:25 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineBaron_Samedi
Urban Naturalist Industries
Male

Loc: HI Flag
Re: [Help] Hydroponic Questions - Probably Simple [Re: Plague_Wraith]
    #819657 - 09/27/16 08:35 PM (7 years, 5 months ago)

Sounds like your doing DWC there are a few other grow methods under the title hydroponic so just to be clear your talking about air stone and bucket right?
if so then yes you just place the plant in net pots and fill with pellets I usually like to keep the water all the way to the brim until the plants roots hang a few inches off the net pot then I keep the water about an inch or so under the lid

as for the closet and mildew it really depends on your climate you gonna want to cover the ground with waterproof materials and seal off everything for no light leaks so it won't be very breezy anymore and your gonna need to cycle air through it some how so without knowing details of heat management and airflow or lights for that matter I suggest a tent and exhaust system that may mostly fit in the space they come in all kinds of sizes in my climate mildew root rot and other bacteria are always issues so I err on the side of caution but it may be better where your at
hope that helps good luck

--------------------
WARNING: I am a compulsive LIAR dont believe a word I post!!! None of these ideas and photos are original I just post to try and validate myself and appear to be good at something other than being a waste of space...

On Deck for Trade...
Growery Trade List

:aliendance::monkeydance::dancer::dancingbacon::hamsterdance::oogieboogie::mallow::death::zombie2::zombie3:

OfflinePlague_Wraith
Horseman

Re: [Help] Hydroponic Questions - Probably Simple [Re: Baron_Samedi]
    #819658 - 09/27/16 08:43 PM (7 years, 5 months ago)

Yep, a DWC is exactly right. I should have clarified.

Quote:

Baron_Samedi said:
I usually like to keep the water all the way to the brim until the plants roots hang a few inches off the net pot then I keep the water about an inch or so under the lid

So to clarify, by the brim you mean the top of the bucket? Like the root system is fully submerged to start?

--------------------
Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured. - Mark Twain

InvisibleStonethM
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Male User Gallery

Loc: No where ville, USA Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: [Help] Hydroponic Questions - Probably Simple [Re: Plague_Wraith] * 1
    #819659 - 09/27/16 08:53 PM (7 years, 5 months ago)

I'm guessing you're planning a dwc of some sort.
Quote:

1. Here is the scenario: I took a cutting and rooted it in a glass of water or I have a young plant that I'd like to transfer from soil to my system. It has a healthy root system. How do I add it to my system? Do I just plop it down into the net pot and add hydroton or do I have to use something like a rockwool cube or a rapidrooter plug in addition to the hydroton? It's unclear if one would always use something like a rockwool cube or rapidrooter plug when using a hydroponic system.

If you want to take a plant from soil to hydro, you'll want to remove as much soil as possible, with as little damage to the root as possible.  Slow running water is helpful when doing this.  As far as rapidrooter's and rockwool go, great to start rooting in but I'd never transplant into them.  After removing as much soil as possible, gently place into net pot with hydroton.  It's important to avoid damaging the roots.

Quote:

2. After I get the rooted cutting/young plant into the system, how high should the water level be? How much of the roots should be covered?

About 1 inch up onto the net pot until roots are visible outside of the net pot, then about 2 inches below the net pot will do fine.

Quote:

3. Are there any guidelines as to how high the water level should be as the roots become longer/more established?

The answer above pretty much covers this one as well.  As long as there's enough air in the water and temps stay below 78f in the res the roots can hang in it with no issues.

Quote:

4. I know how to clean the reservoir and tubing for my system, however, it's unclear whether or not I have to clean the net pot and hydroton while they are actually being used to grow plants. Do I just set the net pot aside while cleaning the reservoir and tubing or do I actually clean the net pot and hydroton weekly/biweekly as well? If I do have to clean the net pot and hydroton, what is the method?

Rinsing the roots net pot an dhydroton isn't a bad idea, but usually isn't truly necessary.  And as mentioned above try to avoid damaging the roots at all cost.

Quote:

5. Is a walk-in closet with good airflow an appropriate location for a very small hydroponic setup? Is mildew ever a concern? I have no idea about the evaporation that occurs in a simple bucket system.

As long as you can keep temps and humidity under control, and have enough lighting for the area.  You should be fine.

--------------------
:getstoned:

OfflinePlague_Wraith
Horseman

Re: [Help] Hydroponic Questions - Probably Simple [Re: Stoneth]
    #819661 - 09/27/16 09:27 PM (7 years, 5 months ago)

Here are a few more questions:

6. Is chlorinated city water okay to use? I've seen conflicting suggestions.

7. Regarding how high/low I should seat rooted cuttings in the pots... If I'm using 10" bucket top net pots, is it correct that I would fill most of the net pot with hydroton so the cutting sits toward the top? With a net pot that large I would probably have to have the water level a lot higher than an inch, right? I ask just because I'm not sure if the hydroton would wick water way up to the roots or if the water should actually be touching the bottoms of the roots.

8. How much do check valves actually limit airflow? I bought an air pump that's rated for a 150 gallon tank and I have six 5 gallon buckets. I'm figuring I have way more than enough air, right?

--------------------

Edited by Plague_Wraith (09/27/16 09:27 PM)

OfflineBaron_Samedi
Urban Naturalist Industries
Male

Loc: HI Flag
    #819662 - 09/27/16 09:36 PM (7 years, 5 months ago)

That is how I do it though I pump alot of air into my buckets So it looks like a hot tub in there but yea up to the brim just until the roots are about an inch off the net pot then I drop the level I use my 1.5" net pot as a guide an I keep the water level about .5 inch of the net in the water so roughly an inch from the top of the bucket when thever roots get big and ropey I like to let the level drop to half a bucket before I refill but by that time my plants are drinking .5 gal a day so it just works out like that for me

--------------------
WARNING: I am a compulsive LIAR dont believe a word I post!!! None of these ideas and photos are original I just post to try and validate myself and appear to be good at something other than being a waste of space...

On Deck for Trade...
Growery Trade List

:aliendance::monkeydance::dancer::dancingbacon::hamsterdance::oogieboogie::mallow::death::zombie2::zombie3:

OfflinePlague_Wraith
Horseman

#819663 - 09/27/16 10:19 PM (7 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Stoneth said:
1.  Water levels for a DWC are about 1 inch up onto the net pot until roots are visible outside the net pot then you want to be about 2 inches below the net pot.  As long as the water as enough air and temps stay below 78f the roots can lay in the water with no issues.

3.  The roots will move what needs to be moved themselves.  Flushing rinsing the roots is wise when cleaning your res.  Be sure to avoid damaging the roots at all cost.

4.  Just pour water over the medium rinsing/flushing said area.

5.  As long as temps, humidity, and lighting is in check a closet is fine. 

6.  I have many friends in cities using tap water with no issues.  However some in other cities seems to have a non stop ph issues.  My recommendation is to mix and test run your system monitoring ph and ec/ppm for staility to answer this question in your area.

Lol! Stoneth, you don't have to respond to the same post on the other forum too. That's hilarious!  :androidlol:

I'm just going to focus my attention on this site from now on. The Ethnobotanical Garden is NOT hydro friendly.

By the way, thank you guys for responding to my post. I've been trying to find answers for the better part of a week and after posting here you guys have been straight to the point. I feel a lot more confident with the info you've given me. :thumbup:

--------------------

Edited by Plague_Wraith (09/27/16 10:25 PM)

InvisibleStonethM
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #819664 - 09/27/16 10:43 PM (7 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

6. Is chlorinated city water okay to use? I've seen conflicting suggestions.

I recommend setting up your system and running a mixture and monitor your ph and ec/ppm levels for stability.

Quote:

7. Regarding how high/low I should seat rooted cuttings in the pots... If I'm using 10" bucket top net pots, is it correct that I would fill most of the net pot with hydroton so the cutting sits toward the top? With a net pot that large I would probably have to have the water level a lot higher than an inch, right? I ask just because I'm not sure if the hydroton would wick water way up to the roots or if the water should actually be touching the bottoms of the roots.

You want the roots just below the surface on the hydroton roots don't like the light.  As far as the water leel just an inch up is good enough with that much air flowing thru the stones.  The air bubbles will carry the water up thru the hydroton.

Quote:

8. How much do check valves actually limit airflow? I bought an air pump that's rated for a 150 gallon tank and I have six 5 gallon buckets. I'm figuring I have way more than enough air, right?

You should be fine on air in the water no doubt.  But you should most likely monitor your ec/ppm and ph daily until you gain experience.

--------------------

InvisibleStonethM
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #819665 - 09/27/16 10:50 PM (7 years, 5 months ago)

:smile:
I was feeling extra helpful today.
And yea non hydro friendly indeed over there these days.

--------------------

OfflinePlague_Wraith
Horseman

#819666 - 09/27/16 11:05 PM (7 years, 5 months ago)

Man, you deserve a gold star. :sun: Very helpful. :smile: :thumbup:

Here is another couple questions:

9. So you know people that use chlorinated city water for their setups, but do you know if they let their water sit for 24 hours to let the chlorine dissipate or do they just use it straight up? I did see a video where a guy said he ran his airstones in his fresh buckets of city water and he claimed it took the time from 24 hours down to about 1 hour but I have no idea if there is any truth to that or if there is any reason to be concerned at all.

10. Is actually monitoring ec/ppm important and necessary or is just keeping track of pH enough? If it is necessary can you suggest a brand/model of meter? I read somewhere that BlueLabs was a recommended brand but they are really expensive.

--------------------

InvisibleStonethM
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #819676 - 09/28/16 10:55 AM (7 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

9. So you know people that use chlorinated city water for their setups, but do you know if they let their water sit for 24 hours to let the chlorine dissipate or do they just use it straight up? I did see a video where a guy said he ran his airstones in his fresh buckets of city water and he claimed it took the time from 24 hours down to about 1 hour but I have no idea if there is any truth to that or if there is any reason to be concerned at all.

Both, I've also known some that had no choice but to buy water.  In their cases the ph would change regularly in some cases hourly.  This is why I recommend a test run, so there is no surprises once you get started.

[quote10. Is actually monitoring ec/ppm important and necessary or is just keeping track of pH enough? If it is necessary can you suggest a brand/model of meter? I read somewhere that BlueLabs was a recommended brand but they are really expensive.]

Not truly necessary.  But will be extremely helpful in avoiding stressing the plants.  BlueLab Truncheon is my ec/ppm meter of choice for monitoring ec/ppm costs around 100 bucks.  And I usee the cheap ole ph drops by general hydroponics for monitoring ph cost about 8 bucks.

--------------------

OfflinePlague_Wraith
Horseman

#819679 - 09/28/16 11:45 AM (7 years, 5 months ago)

For nutrients are you also using the General Hydroponics brand? I ordered their Floragrow/Florabloom/Floramicro Quart pack for $30 from Amazon. I also got the pH Control Kit in 8 oz size for $17 from Amazon. Hopefully I got a decent price for the sizes I picked. Most people say that the GH pH kit is an industry standard, but I wasn't sure about the nutes. I saw that the Fox Farms and Advanced Nutrients brands are pretty highly rated on there as well.

--------------------

InvisibleStonethM
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #819681 - 09/28/16 12:09 PM (7 years, 5 months ago)

Yeah I run the flora serie right now.  Have been using them for a few years now with great results. 

Slowing switching over to NPK industries raw solubles.  Only reason I'm switching is for a bit more control of the plants' diet, and shelf life of the products.

--------------------

OfflinePlague_Wraith
Horseman

#819684 - 09/28/16 12:23 PM (7 years, 5 months ago)

Have you ever tried GH's Maxi series? It looks like it's just two products, Maxigro and Maxibloom. From the descriptions they sound very similar to the Flora series but they're in powder form, pH buffered, and it's two products vs three. It seems like 2.2 lbs of nute concentrate would last damn near forever vs the prepared liquid and would be a much better value. I might try it after I use up the Flora pack that's coming.

Man, I had a realization this morning about my net pot size. All I have is the 10" bucket tops and it occurred to me that I'm probably only going to be able to fit in around 2 gallons of water per bucket lol. I'm going to be doing a lot of maintenance at that rate.

--------------------

Edited by Plague_Wraith (09/28/16 01:03 PM)

InvisibleStonethM
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #819686 - 09/28/16 01:16 PM (7 years, 5 months ago)

Yes sir I've used the maxi line as well.  It's good stuff.

When I was playing with dwc in five gallon buckets with the large net pots.  I usually ran three gallons of water nutes mixture.

You may want to research on rdwc systems.  Same principles as dwc with a large res.  There are a few members here that use this kind of system.  A few grow logs in the grow journal forum you could read over to get a understanding of what may be down the road for ya in the future..

--------------------

OfflinePlague_Wraith
Horseman

#819722 - 09/29/16 11:25 PM (7 years, 5 months ago)

:takingnotes:

Thanks for guiding me. :thumbup: The RDWC systems look like they'd be pretty easy to transition to. I'll probably try running a couple plants through the basic DWC and then I'll make the upgrade.

Right now I'm waiting on my last couple supply shipments so I have all the stuff I need to get my DWC up and running. Hopefully everything will be here by Monday.  :dancer:

I've got some light questions yet and I still need to get some seeds but otherwise I'm feeling like this is going to be a successful project. :smile: I should try uploading a picture of my grow space and take some measurements before I ask anything else. I'll try and get everything around tomorrow (later today - it's 1 AM).

--------------------

OfflinePlague_Wraith
Horseman

#819807 - 10/01/16 06:17 PM (7 years, 5 months ago)

Sorry for the wait. I took some measurements and reflected on my options. I've been moving stuff around as I look at things and have made a mess so I'll wait on the pictures until I get things back into shape.

Option 1: This was initially the space I had set aside for growing my plants. The space is approximately 3' by 6.5' and has wire shelving that could be used to lash plants or lights to.

Option 2: It occurred to me that I have an unused bathroom right outside the Option 1 closet. The benefit to this space is that it has tile flooring and slightly easier access to water (like 5' difference between the water source). The space is approximately 3' by 5'.

I can make either space work but I'm leaning toward Option 2 now. Honestly, if I had the money I would just invest in a grow tent setup for around $300. I think the biggest benefit to a grow tent is that you can hide the smell, which I didn't realize was going to be a factor (I have no cannabis experience at all).

--------------------

OfflinePlague_Wraith
Horseman

#819810 - 10/01/16 06:42 PM (7 years, 5 months ago)

After using the search function I found a good thread regarding lighting but it's over 6 years old and I'm not sure if the figures are still accurate with technological advances. I should say before I go any farther that I intend to use CFLs simply due to cost. I'm trying to figure out how much light I'll need for two plants in my space (taking into account the circumference of the buckets).

Magash (who has helped me greatly before) weighed in with this:
Quote:

Magash said:
Keep the light at 50watts per sq foot simple as that. :wexican:

From the same thread:
Quote:

Stoneth said:
OK, my room is 3 foot wide, 2 foot deep, which is 6 square feet and I'm running a 400 watt light.  So that's like 66.66 watts per square foot.

What I can't tell with most of the lighting threads is if people are talking about actual consumed watts or equivalent watts?

On the Ethnobotanical Garden people were telling me not to go by watts at all because it's a hugely inaccurate way to measure how much light you're actually getting. I'm not sure if that's because LEDs have become more mainstream or if it's an all-encompassing statement with modern lights?

How tall/wide do cannabis plants usually get under artificial lighting? I read that proper artificial lighting keeps them short and manageable.

Is the 50 watt per square foot suggestion still accurate? If not, what is the new standard?

--------------------

InvisibleStonethM
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #819815 - 10/01/16 09:04 PM (7 years, 5 months ago)

Yea 50 watts, 10,000 lums per square foot is a standard, imo related to HID lighting.  I'd double that when it comes to cfl or floro's personally.

I'd go with option 2, simply because it's nice having the water close by.

--------------------

OfflinePlague_Wraith
Horseman

#819844 - 10/02/16 01:26 PM (7 years, 5 months ago)

I spent a good portion of the night looking at lights and had a really hard time finding anything that met the 50 watts + 10,000 lums guidelines. You guys must be spending like $400 to light a relatively small area. Some of these light systems have crazy fan attachments and all sorts of heat-sinks as well. I was hoping to do this relatively cheaply with a couple CFLs but it looks like I was out of touch.  :facepalm:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom