Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineThe_Greenz
Stranger

Bit of a strange one
    #808607 - 03/23/16 11:34 AM (8 years, 27 days ago)

I promise I'm not SWIMming here.

I have a friend that grows (unfortunately I am unable to right now) and he's very old school in his methods and I would like to bring his grow up to date!
He has a good set up and grows really nice buds but I always feel like they are really needing their nutrition dialed in.

So for his set up, he has two 600w HPS bulbs for flowering and fluoros for veg
he uses 20-20-20 for veg and 15-30-15 for flower
I believe he uses half the recommended dosage
he does 4-6 plants biannually, I've convinced him to try some LST so he's running 4 this time in larger pots.

He usually gets his genetics from Serious seeds and a Kali Mist from one company all the time I can't remember which. He loves that Kali.
I've been doing a lot of reading but it seems like there are as many opinions on nutrients as there are growers.

His buds are always nice and crystally but they never come out very dense, only gets an oz or 2 per plant (says that it's because he doesn't have a greenhouse set up but I know you can get thick, dense nugs in a closet) and they are always really fluffy and light. I know it's not the strains because he always grows 1 different strain and then the kali, and each time while the weed might be different, the bud structure is almost always the same.

The space he's growing in is just a little closet, 6 plants fills it right up, they only have about 6' of headroom which is why I think he should LST

He's installed a bathroom fan in the closet that sucks it straight out the roof. He doesn't test pH or anything, but he's going to start.

He uses soil and 5 gallon pots I believe

The Questions
Man that's a lot of words with no pictures. I won't be offended if you don't read it all. I might have some pictures of some of his buds around but I don't think he'd appreciate it too much if I posted a bunch of his setup and everything. Like I said he's old school.

Are they just not getting enough air/light? Maybe he needs to put more fans in or something? I assumed it had to do with improper nutrient profile

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleChakanooga
Always Lmao
Male

Loc: Wonderland
Re: Bit of a strange one [Re: The_Greenz]
    #808624 - 03/23/16 02:50 PM (8 years, 27 days ago)

Hi, welcome to the growery.

Im not sure, but how is your watering done? And are the lights close or far away from the plants?

Hopefully a trusted cultivator will answer your questions.

Goodluck.

OfflineThe_Greenz
Stranger

Re: Bit of a strange one [Re: Chakanooga] * 1
    #808626 - 03/23/16 03:23 PM (8 years, 27 days ago)

They get water every 2 or 3 days, the lights are on some chains so he raises them as they grow, but they are kept as close as possible.

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #808639 - 03/23/16 06:29 PM (8 years, 27 days ago)

Quote:

The_Greenz said:
I promise I'm not SWIMming here.

I have a friend that grows (unfortunately I am unable to right now) and he's very old school in his methods and I would like to bring his grow up to date!
He has a good set up and grows really nice buds but I always feel like they are really needing their nutrition dialed in.

So for his set up, he has two 600w HPS bulbs for flowering and fluoros for veg
he uses 20-20-20 for veg and 15-30-15 for flower
I believe he uses half the recommended dosage
he does 4-6 plants biannually, I've convinced him to try some LST so he's running 4 this time in larger pots.

He usually gets his genetics from Serious seeds and a Kali Mist from one company all the time I can't remember which. He loves that Kali.
I've been doing a lot of reading but it seems like there are as many opinions on nutrients as there are growers.

His buds are always nice and crystally but they never come out very dense, only gets an oz or 2 per plant (says that it's because he doesn't have a greenhouse set up but I know you can get thick, dense nugs in a closet) and they are always really fluffy and light. I know it's not the strains because he always grows 1 different strain and then the kali, and each time while the weed might be different, the bud structure is almost always the same.

The space he's growing in is just a little closet, 6 plants fills it right up, they only have about 6' of headroom which is why I think he should LST

He's installed a bathroom fan in the closet that sucks it straight out the roof. He doesn't test pH or anything, but he's going to start.

He uses soil and 5 gallon pots I believe

The Questions
Man that's a lot of words with no pictures. I won't be offended if you don't read it all. I might have some pictures of some of his buds around but I don't think he'd appreciate it too much if I posted a bunch of his setup and everything. Like I said he's old school.

Are they just not getting enough air/light? Maybe he needs to put more fans in or something? I assumed it had to do with improper nutrient profile

His problem isn't with the nutrients it sounds like he needs more light.

:happyweed:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

OfflineGrit
    #808663 - 03/24/16 05:54 AM (8 years, 27 days ago)

1200w covering 6 plants seems like it would be plenty of light. Fuck, I squeeze 25 plants under 1000w lol, and average 1 3/4 - 2 1/4 lbs  every time.

I would get on top of that ph, you're basically wasting time and nutrients if that is off balance. Could be the strain too, some plants just have a loose bud structure. Maybe your buddy needs to veg a little longer also

OfflineThe_Greenz
Stranger

Re: Bit of a strange one [Re: Grit]
    #808669 - 03/24/16 09:31 AM (8 years, 26 days ago)

He's tried lots of different strains from lots of different companies. Some are definitely better than others but none come out with that nice bud structure like I definitely see from similar indoor grows.
I agree that without testing the pH it's all pretty pointless, I've convinced him to get a nice tester.
He's been considering updating his lighting system as well, he read that the double ended 1000w HPS bulbs are way more efficient than the 600w single ended bulb, but he's going to replace his two bulbs with just one.
If you think light is his problem, this is definitely not going to help.
His veg is fine, the plants tend to overgrow his space generally, it's not tall enough.
Could it maybe be airflow? They're in a closet that's wrapped in white plastic all around, the doors are always kept closed and the only air is a bathroom fan that vents out, should I tell him to put a little clip on fan inside or something?

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Loc: Earth (mostly) Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #808670 - 03/24/16 10:16 AM (8 years, 26 days ago)

Make sure to have plenty of air circulation on the plants, they will stall and go slow if they don't get enough air.  Also dial in temperature/humidity to help the plant feel like its around the equator.

Plants suck down CO2 out of the air so fast that they can suffocate themselves by creating stale air around the leaf zone (within a minute). Plants are also mostly carbon, they get it from the air, not from the feed.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
Bamboo Bongs I make | Perfect Dry and Cure | Grapegod under LED
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies