Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinemagicallyfunky
Seeking Enlightenment

Loc: South Flag
Magicallyfunky's Grow Log. My First Experience with Shrooms!!!!!!!!!!!!
    #782840 - 06/22/15 12:08 PM (8 years, 9 months ago)

June 1, 2015.  First I watched "The Video", the best one for me was [url=
Technique[/url].  I watched it over and over again so that I could be sure I was prepared.  I had an experienced shroomer help me with my first jars.  One cracked and I will tell you later how it fucked up my jars besides stupidity. 

I ordered my first set of spores at the spore depot online, you buy 2 and get one free.  The strain was 2 golden teachers and one surprise me, (ended up getting Orissa India).  I have no idea if these are good ones or not, but the gold teachers were suggested by my mentor. 

I went shopping and got 2 five lb bags of brown rice, 2 clear totes, a coffee grinder, (had a food processor but that did not work), medical tape, 2 bags of periolite and one huge bag of vermiculite (at garden center, it'll take me years to use it all), a spay bottle and a lite, (just in case I decide to keep in office with no windows for light), disposable gloves, alcohol, painters masks with the metal lines to pinch to fit over my nose and foil.

First a drilled a crap ton of holes in one tote, (including the top and the bottom), this is my fruiting chamber that I will use later.  Then I cut out two holes in the other tote, big enough really alot bigger maybe than they should be, but as directed by the video for my arms to fit through, this is my inoculation chamber. 

Washed my jars and lids with soap, hot water and about a fourth of a cup of bleach and rinsed them extremely well and dryed with paper towell, (less lent fibers).

Then I got a nail a piece of wood and a hammer, placed the lids on the wood grabbed a nail and hammered four holes for later inoculation and covered the holes with the medical tape.  I believe that it is called microbial tape. 

I used the coffee grinder and ground up the rice into powdery flour and set aside.  Got out a large glass bowl and a wooden spoon as shown in the video and I doubled the recipe.  4 cups of vermiculite and 2 cups of water, mixed with wood spoon until the water was absorbed into the vermiculite.  Then I added 2 cups of brown rice flour.  Mixed it all together so that it was light and fluffy and not too wet. 

Grabbed my jars and filled them to the lowest line under the lid and wiped off the excess with a paper towel and then filled them to the very top, (level) with dry vermiculite, (I'm told this creates a contamination barrier).  Put the lids on rubber side up and screwed on the ring lids.  Then cut up squares of foil and placed the foil over the top of the jars.  I dont know what this is for, but that is what the video said to do, so I did. 

The thing in my pots came with a set of pots I bought years ago.  The pot I used to sterilize my jars was an antique baby bottle sterilizer, that is what they used back in the 60's to sterilize baby bottles, it actually had a metal device in the bottom that I removed to hold the bottles.  The disk sat about 3 inches from the bottom, pretty snug.  Watch the video it has all kinds of ideas.  If you let the water touch the glass it is going to crack your jars.  All you need is the steam.  I boiled the jars for 90 minutes and set the timer on my over for 30 minutes to make sure there was still water in the pot.  I did not start the timer until the water began to boil and then I put the lid on the pot.  Boiled for 90 minutes total thirty minutes on the timer 3 times. 

I waited for them to cool about 12 hours.

The next day I got out my inoculation chamber and was very nervous.  I poured some alcohol into the chamber and wiped it cleaned it out including the top.  I thought that I put on both gloves and I also put on a long sleeve shirt.  I got another paper towel and doused it with alcohol and left in the chamber.  Placed about 12 jars in the chamber and got out my syringes and shook the first one up very well and placed on the needle.  At this time I had never used a 10 cc syringe or any other kind for that matter, so it really wasnt very clear on how much solution you were supposed to put in each hole on the jar.  (Now I know that you put in about one line on the syringe is efficient enough to colonize the entire jar).  I had a lighter and flamed sterilized the first needle, (use one for all that syringe).  At this point I had inoculated 6 jars.  I looked down first saw that I only had on the left glove, I panicked and began to look at my jars.  The first jar that I inoculated was cracked and I forgot to flame sterilize between each jar, all six jars were contaminated. 

Needless to say, IT IS VERY IMPORTANT TO FLAME STERILIZE BETWEEN EACH JAR, if one is contaminated the rest will be too.

Three syringes made 24 jars and it should have made alot more.  Really all you need is one line per hole in each jar.  Its kinda hard to gauge when they fill the syringe all the way to the top going over the 10 cc's, because you can really tell how much is one line until you get to the 10 cc mark. 

I started making this grow log late because I am new to this forum, but I will start taking pictures each week.  My jars at this point are almost 100% colonized.  Here is one pic that I took 3 days after inoculation. 

Here are some pics of about 95% colonization.

Here are some that I will be putting in the fruiting chamber next week.  Golden Teachers and Orissa India

After I lost the six jar I ordered some 2 Lizard Kings and my free surprise me one is Ratan Honduras.  I used my free one to inoculated so some are a week behind the others and ones not pictured were inoculated on June 21, 2015.

I will keep you posted and take pictures weekly of the ones I inoculated yesterday or daily depending on how fast the mycelium grows.

Will definitely show the process of the dunk and roll and the fruiting chamber and that growth as well. 

It is a great hobby and hopefully the benefit will be worth the trouble.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
June 26, 2015

Signs of Mycelium starting to grow.  Inoculated last Sunday.

Ratan Honduras.  3 jars.  Woo Hoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by magicallyfunky (06/26/15 09:13 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleKarmikal
The Engineer

Loc: Spaceship Factory
Re: Magicallyfunky's Grow Log. My First Experience with Shrooms!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: magicallyfunky]
    #782885 - 06/22/15 04:45 PM (8 years, 9 months ago)

Looks pretty good so far, I'll watch this.  PF tek is pretty forgiving and you seem to be well on your way to success.:thumbup:

Please be careful with alcohol vapors in a still air box when doing flame sterilizing nearby.  You really just need to clean with soap and water and keep the interior surfaces wet when you use it.  If you really feel the need to disinfect it try bleach water. alcohol vapor + air = explosive/flammable. 

You may want to check out shroomery (sister site) though and post a journal there also.  You may get more feedback there.

--------------------
Opinions WILL vary!

This is all just an internet fantasy, ruse, delusion, fabrication etc...

Edited by Karmikal (06/22/15 04:54 PM)

Offlinemagicallyfunky
Seeking Enlightenment

Re: Magicallyfunky's Grow Log. My First Experience with Shrooms!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: Karmikal]
    #783003 - 06/23/15 12:14 PM (8 years, 9 months ago)

--------------------
[gradient:#D4C7D0,#C7D4D3]Women who seek to be equal with men lack ambition.  If you want to change the way people respond to you, change the way you respond to people. - Tim Leary [/gradient]

Offlinemagicallyfunky
Seeking Enlightenment

Re: Magicallyfunky's Grow Log. My First Experience with Shrooms!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: magicallyfunky]
    #783006 - 06/23/15 12:27 PM (8 years, 9 months ago)

June 23, 2015

First, fifth and sixth pictures is Golden Teacher and Orissa India's 100 % colonized and will go into the fruiting chamber next week.  Second and Third pics are the Ratan Honduras were inoculated a week later and are growing very quickly.  One of them is cracked at the bottom but I does not have any contaminated in it.  Maybe I didnt upload it.  Hang on. 

The above is the cracked jar with healthy mycelium in it.  I dont know how it has survived, I never saw it. and it is not the jar that I dropped earlier. 

6 of my jars 3 golden teachers and 3 orissa india are 100% colonized and I am waiting an extra week to dunk and roll and put in the fruiting chamber.

--------------------
[gradient:#D4C7D0,#C7D4D3]Women who seek to be equal with men lack ambition.  If you want to change the way people respond to you, change the way you respond to people. - Tim Leary [/gradient]

InvisibleScribbler
because i scribble

#783008 - 06/23/15 12:30 PM (8 years, 9 months ago)

Dude this is the Growery, you want to be at the Shroomery.

Offlinemagicallyfunky
Seeking Enlightenment

Re: Magicallyfunky's Grow Log. My First Experience with Shrooms!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: Karmikal]
    #783009 - 06/23/15 12:31 PM (8 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Karmikal said:
Looks pretty good so far, I'll watch this.  PF tek is pretty forgiving and you seem to be well on your way to success.:thumbup:

Please be careful with alcohol vapors in a still air box when doing flame sterilizing nearby.  You really just need to clean with soap and water and keep the interior surfaces wet when you use it.  If you really feel the need to disinfect it try bleach water. alcohol vapor + air = explosive/flammable. 

You may want to check out shroomery (sister site) though and post a journal there also.  You may get more feedback there.

Thanks for the advise and the alcohol vapor.  I make sure that it is completely dry and I take the syringe out of the inoculation chamber to flame sterilize as shown in the video.

--------------------

Offlinemagicallyfunky
Seeking Enlightenment

Re: Magicallyfunky's Grow Log. My First Experience with Shrooms!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: Scribbler]
    #783010 - 06/23/15 12:33 PM (8 years, 9 months ago)

I just wanted a grow log.  I couldn't find that in the Shroomery... I'm a chick btw

--------------------

Invisiblehobowizard
growling grower

Loc: Baltic region
    #783095 - 06/24/15 07:51 AM (8 years, 9 months ago)

noooice!

--------------------
Feeling real good

InvisibleP-O

Re: Magicallyfunky's Grow Log. My First Experience with Shrooms!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: magicallyfunky] * 1
    #783384 - 06/25/15 10:54 PM (8 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

magicallyfunky said:
I just wanted a grow log.  I couldn't find that in the Shroomery... I'm a chick btw

nice grow.

welcome to the growery.  forget the shroomery :hi5:

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Free yourself from yourself
Male User Gallery

Loc: Carpal Tunnel
Re: Magicallyfunky's Grow Log. My First Experience with Shrooms!!!!!!!!!!!! (moved) [Re: magicallyfunky]
    #785113 - 07/12/15 01:53 AM (8 years, 8 months ago)

This thread was moved from Grow Journals.

Reason:
Not Cannabis related. 

Invisiblenannybooboo
 User Gallery
    #785339 - 07/14/15 03:09 AM (8 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

P-O said:
Quote:

magicallyfunky said:

nice grow.

welcome to the growery.  forget the shroomery :hi5:

InvisibleGhost0420
Illicit

Re: Magicallyfunky's Grow Log. My First Experience with Shrooms!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: nannybooboo]
    #797799 - 10/31/15 09:13 PM (8 years, 4 months ago)

Do you prefer the regular 1/2 pint jar to the wide mouthed 1/2 pint jars for making PF BRF TEK cakes?

OfflineKrevgin
Farmer
Male
Loc: NorCal
Re: Magicallyfunky's Grow Log. My First Experience with Shrooms!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: Ghost0420]
    #801072 - 12/11/15 03:02 PM (8 years, 3 months ago)

I know I'm not the OP, but if you are using PFT I would really suggest wide mouth. The cakes willbe much easier to remove that way. If you are growing on grain instead of Brown Rice Flour use any jar you like. You can just shake those puppies and get all your substrate free pretty easily.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds