Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Gold Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineJML
Stranger
Hi, New member and grower.
    #782144 - 06/16/15 10:17 AM (8 years, 9 months ago)

Greetings guys,

I am a long time member on the Shroomery, but I am getting ready to broaden my horizons, so to speak.. I thought this might be a good place to start.

Going to be starting my first grow in a 4x8 Apollo tent with 2 1000 Watt Yield Lab lights and ballasts. I also have a 440 cfm duct fan with a carbon filter. I am ordering inline fans as well as oscillating clip fans.

I have not set everything up yet and was hoping to get some feed back/ advice on my set-up. Also, what are some decent oscillating fans/ clip fans to use with a thermostat?

Thanks in advance for the replies,
JML

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Loc: Earth (mostly) Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Hi, New member and grower. [Re: JML]
    #782152 - 06/16/15 11:19 AM (8 years, 9 months ago)

Don't get the typical fans, get what is called a "tower" fan to not have to use so much space.  No thermostat required, just leave them on inside the garden, top and bottom of the plants for good circulation.

For your exhaust you should get a temp/humidity control, otherwise at night the humidity skyrockets and you risk mold. My non-humidity temperature only fan controls are all useless.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
Bamboo Bongs I make | Perfect Dry and Cure | Grapegod under LED
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

OfflineJML
Stranger
Re: Hi, New member and grower. [Re: phychotron]
    #782154 - 06/16/15 12:00 PM (8 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks phychotron. Do you know of a good hygrometer/ humidistat to use for the humidity?

I was honestly worried about keeping the tent cool with the 2 1000W lights in there. Should that be a huge concern? I am venting the exhaust(after carbon filter) into a wall that goes into my super hot sun room.

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #782157 - 06/16/15 12:49 PM (8 years, 9 months ago)

http://growershouse.com/sentinel-evc-2-environmental-controller is what I use.

You'll have to deal with a lot of heat, not sure how much you'll need to combat it. I use LED to avoid that hassle. My lights don't project heat like HID does.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #782158 - 06/16/15 12:57 PM (8 years, 9 months ago)

--------------------

OfflineJML
Stranger
    #782162 - 06/16/15 01:20 PM (8 years, 9 months ago)

That looks awesome, I may go ahead and get the newer one. Looks like I could program it for temp in the day and humidity at night. Do you use just one exhaust fan with this type of system or can you also hook up the tower fan?

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #782165 - 06/16/15 02:43 PM (8 years, 9 months ago)

dude your tower fans never turn off, make sure to get the one's with a mechanical switch (not electronic/digital control) so when the power goes out it will turn back on.

Not sure about the newer model, I have one fan and an ozone generator that kick on at the same time when the temperature or humidity are too high. My controller has the option to link the two functions or use separate devices... mine also only does heating or cooling, whereas the new one looks like it will do both. It also offers basic CO2 control which I don't use.

Basically you just set the maximum temperature and humidity for day and night and it will turn the fan on when either is too high. Right now I'm running the fan and ozone without the controller on full blast for summer. In the Daytime last week in a heat wave my bedroom got up to 100 (plant night time) but down to 84 at night when the lights are on. Basically its so hot in the summer that the controller would turn the fan on/off too frequently, as its annoying hearing the fan winding up at start, and also rattles the walls when its at medium speed. Not so much that I mind but my neighbors below me might have their walls rattling too.

--------------------

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #782167 - 06/16/15 02:51 PM (8 years, 9 months ago)

BTW, don't plug your A/C into the controller, it has its own control panel and is usually digital and needs to maintain its own power cycle to operate fully. They tell you that you can connect your A/C but that's just not practical and usually bad for the A/C.

Before you get the new one make sure you can link your temperature and humidity devices like on my controller. Otherwise you'll need two exhaust fans. It should but you better double check.

--------------------

InvisibleScribbler
because i scribble

#782178 - 06/16/15 05:55 PM (8 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

phychotron said:
Don't get the typical fans, get what is called a "tower" fan to not have to use so much space.  No thermostat required, just leave them on inside the garden, top and bottom of the plants for good circulation.

For your exhaust you should get a temp/humidity control, otherwise at night the humidity skyrockets and you risk mold. My non-humidity temperature only fan controls are all useless.

Would you have 1 or 2 tower fans for a 4x4 space? And is it worth it getting a slightly taller tower fan (48" vs 42" vs 36")?

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Hi, New member and grower. [Re: Scribbler]
    #782185 - 06/16/15 07:38 PM (8 years, 9 months ago)

I have two in my 4x8 on both ends, an input on one end blowing straight down and exhaust on the other end. You could go either 1 or two in a 4x4, depending on how dense you want to get it. I'd prefer two but mostly just use the one for my 4x4 veg tent.  The taller will move more air but probably take more electricity.

--------------------

OfflineJML
Stranger
    #782190 - 06/16/15 09:23 PM (8 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

phychotron said:
BTW, don't plug your A/C into the controller, it has its own control panel and is usually digital and needs to maintain its own power cycle to operate fully. They tell you that you can connect your A/C but that's just not practical and usually bad for the A/C.

Before you get the new one make sure you can link your temperature and humidity devices like on my controller. Otherwise you'll need two exhausted fans. It should but you better double check.

Dude, you are of much help. Thank you! I ordered the controller today. Looks like I have a few more things on my check list, but it seems like I am at least headed in the right direction.

InvisibleScribbler
because i scribble

#782199 - 06/17/15 12:51 AM (8 years, 9 months ago)

Yeah thanks for the reply  :hatsoff:

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Hi, New member and grower. [Re: Scribbler]
    #782200 - 06/17/15 03:29 AM (8 years, 9 months ago)

No problem. Since were on the subject, the reason you want oscillating fans in your garden is that the plants will use all the CO2 around the leaf zone in a short period of time and become somewhat choked, unable to breath. The fan keeps the leaves supplied with fresh air. Wind also keeps the bugs down, creating a no-fly zone. It helps keep the powder mildew to a minimum. It also strengthens the branches as they sway in the wind. Never underestimate the importance of fresh air.

I have my 4x4 veg blowing into my 4x8 flower tent with a booster fan for constant airflow into both tents. They say you don't need added CO2 if you have a good supply of fresh air, but I've never tried supplementing CO2 it so its hard to say for sure.

--------------------

OfflineBig Bear
Earf Child

Loc: In Love, On Time Flag
    #782384 - 06/18/15 03:24 PM (8 years, 9 months ago)

I personally subscribe to the notion that more air exchange is always better unless you have severe wind blowing directly on the plant(s)

--------------------
:gd_icon:Still Alive:gd_icon:

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Hi, New member and grower. [Re: Big Bear]
    #782386 - 06/18/15 03:58 PM (8 years, 9 months ago)

I've had my tower fans that were broken and not oscillating and blowing directly on flowers(sometimes even touching the fan) with little or no noticeable effect. I think the tower fans are too weak to do any real damage.

--------------------

OfflineBig Bear
Earf Child

Loc: In Love, On Time Flag
    #782397 - 06/18/15 07:10 PM (8 years, 9 months ago)

Nice.  I don't have any experience with them but they obviouslt seem to work great for Ya :thumbup:

--------------------
:gd_icon:Still Alive:gd_icon:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds