Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinejon5315
Stranger
New, question about small spaces
    #777863 - 05/05/15 12:10 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

So I've been doing some reading and got a few plants going. The strain is shining silver haze, predominately sativa. I need to set up a space for them.

The area is two 4'x3'x3' sections, lxwxh, the plant is supposed to be a short variety. My question is, will pulling an ounce a week out of these spaces be a realistic goal?

I have no prior experience with the plant but do have some gardening experience and have studied quite a bit.

I plan to use either dwc or ebb&flow since I will not make it to watering often. For lights, I have 400w hps and 400w mh. I can ventilate as needed.

I took some clones 5-6 days ago and placed in dwc at very low nute strength. They are still alive and have nice turgor pressure but I don't see any roots yet.

You all are the experts so I want to hear your comments and opinions. I have seen Magash's SOG pics and I would like to do something similar if possible. I'm just worried that with the 3ft height restrictions, I don't have room for ebb and flow. I'm afraid I'll burn my plants.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineKaptKid
Spaced Pirate
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bright Side of the Sun
Re: New, question about small spaces [Re: jon5315]
    #778033 - 05/07/15 05:39 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

You might be able to germinate in that area.

You need to do a lot more studing.

--------------------
Child of the 60's, Tripping ever sence.

Offlinecheezymold
That Guy

Re: New, question about small spaces [Re: KaptKid]
    #778039 - 05/07/15 05:57 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

Here is a pretty good design that might suit you.  That 400w might be a little much for such a small area though.  NGB cab

Offlinejon5315
Stranger
Re: New, question about small spaces [Re: cheezymold]
    #778184 - 05/09/15 07:26 AM (8 years, 11 months ago)

Thanks for the link, there's some good stuff in there. I guess I should've mentioned that I plan on flowering right away once the clones have rooted. Also, I have decided to do dwc for the moms and ebb and flow for flowering, that way I can use a small container to keep the plants small.

Yes I'm worried that the 400w may be overkill. I'm going to try them out with those fancy reflectors in which you can attach the air duct directly to it once I can afford them. However, if it proves to be too much, i may bump down to a 250w.

Also my areas are smaller than I thought: two 3x2x3, lxwxh, areas! So it's going to be a tight fit. I plan on building the dwc bed 24"x24"x5.5", 36"x24"x5.5" for flood table, and 36"x24"x7" for flood and drain res

OfflineShroomingChaos
Connoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Southeast US
Re: New, question about small spaces [Re: jon5315] * 1
    #778185 - 05/09/15 08:02 AM (8 years, 11 months ago)

You will find everything you will need to know if you browse peoples grows and see how they worked through their problems as they were learning also.  I personally learned everything I needed to know by reading grow books and browsing threads on growery.  Best of luck and happy growing!

OfflineMrshroom
Stranger

Re: New, question about small spaces [Re: ShroomingChaos]
    #778198 - 05/09/15 12:00 PM (8 years, 11 months ago)

ill 2nd that you should read a good book or two. because there is alot you need to learn. im not trying to put you down or sound negative by what im saying, its just with what little you do know u will more then likely kill things off.

I was in the same boat you were 2 or so years ago but i took a alot of time reading and talk to people and now its really simple. But if you take the time to do reading and learn what you need to know you will benefit from it soo much. with these plants to more you put into how well you take care of them the better out put you get and better quality. 

and to answer your question you wont be pulling a ounce a week with taking clones and putting them right into flower after there rooted. cause you would need a shit load of clones going at the same time to pull that much every week deffently when it take 8-12 weeks for flowering depending on the strain.

InvisibleKarmikal
The Engineer

Loc: Spaceship Factory
Re: New, question about small spaces [Re: jon5315]
    #778289 - 05/10/15 08:24 AM (8 years, 11 months ago)

Sounds very similar to what a friend of mine is doing right now, only you have more space.  Here is what it looks like:

Every two weeks the oldest tray gets harvested and new clones are made/old clones are planted (middle space is veg for clones/moms).  Each tray in between moves up to the next reservoir.  Each reservoir has a different nutrient ratio suitable for that particular 2 weeks of flowering (ie. the last reservoir is only water for two week flush).  Loose rockwool ebb/flow trays/beds.  Each has about 6 plants and 5-10 grams each plant is the range at the moment.  Still dialing it in though so the number of plants may change - biggest problem atm is with SAS (see bottom right tray) since the plants are so close.  going to try to correct that with some supplemental cob led side lighting at 660nm during the day cycle to increase the ratio of deep red to far red and add some 730nm just after lights out for a few minutes to stop the day stretch (flower trigger).  Anyway, I digress, just want to show you yes it is possible.  This space is much smaller than yours @ 15"x24"x96" total.  You need to be innovative with this type of thing, just jump in and be ready to solve all the problems you didn't plan for as you go.  Hope you like to diy...

this tray is 7 1/2 weeks and only has three plants not 6.  pictured is 2 of 3 colas in that tray (sorry about the light and poor picture)

--------------------
Opinions WILL vary!

This is all just an internet fantasy, ruse, delusion, fabrication etc...

Edited by Karmikal (05/10/15 08:41 AM)

OfflineChalupacabra
Stranger

Re: New, question about small spaces [Re: Karmikal]
    #778842 - 05/14/15 09:31 PM (8 years, 10 months ago)

Wow. That's...totally...awesome.

--------------------
Just trippin' and laughin' at the crap

InvisibleKarmikal
The Engineer

Loc: Spaceship Factory
Re: New, question about small spaces [Re: Chalupacabra]
    #778868 - 05/15/15 03:46 AM (8 years, 10 months ago)

Glad you like it!  I wouldn't want to hijack this thread talking about it though...  To the OP, just wanted to provide some evidence that the yields you are looking for in such a small area are attainable.  Here is just one of the colas from that same tray:

edit: I re read the original post and see you are planning to use a sativa dominant hybrid strain.  Not sure about your success with that type of genetics but its worth a try.  Just don't veg your cuttings and train them early and often during the first 3 of flower.  You might find that you need to use unconventional techniques to control height, and/or use a remote reservoir(s) in a separate ares unlike the setup I have posted here.  Another issue I see with that strain is longer flower time - this will make it more difficult to reach your yield per week goal even with a perpetual setup.

Consider using 2 x 150 HPS + 2 x 175 MH instead of 400/400 unless you are going to use a completely separate ventilation/cooling loop for those lights.  If you decide to use the 400s without a tube or hood you can mount them vertically from the top, vertical grow style - I have used the same sized lights in this fashion and it worked well in a three foot tall by 6 wide closet box 15 years ago in college with a 4" pot sog style in soil (that sorta thing was all the new rage back then).

Edited by Karmikal (05/15/15 05:02 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck