Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinesweetleaf7
Stranger

will a grow box similar to this allow enough smell reduction??
    #778283 - 05/10/15 04:51 AM (8 years, 10 months ago)

I'm looking to find out if a box design such as this with those computer fan ventilation with carbon filters on them would b enough to reduce the smell of say two plants enough to not notice it??
I wanna start a small gross before I opt for a nicer one with a large carbon filter ventilation system.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleoeric mckenna
Pure Indica

Loc: Mars
Re: will a grow box similar to this allow enough smell reduction?? [Re: sweetleaf7] * 1
    #778328 - 05/10/15 05:00 PM (8 years, 10 months ago)

It may be. What strain you choose is a scent factor also.
You could opt for a scentless strain like bubblegummer and avoid a stench bomber like trainwreck.

--------------------
***Handing someone your life's work....in a single seed = :laugh: ***

HIGHER THAN A GEORGIA PINE

Oeric's Winter Grow Projects

Offlinesweetleaf7
Stranger

Re: will a grow box similar to this allow enough smell reduction?? [Re: oeric mckenna]
    #778331 - 05/10/15 05:42 PM (8 years, 10 months ago)

So you think a small 4x3 ft grow box with a computer fan ventilation with a carbon filler pad. When combined with a low odor strain would be pretty scent less? I'm only gonna start with two plants.

InvisibleKarmikal
The Engineer

Loc: Spaceship Factory
Re: will a grow box similar to this allow enough smell reduction?? [Re: oeric mckenna]
    #778337 - 05/10/15 08:24 PM (8 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

oeric mckenna said:
It may be. What strain you choose is a scent factor also.
You could opt for a scentless strain like bubblegummer and avoid a stench bomber like trainwreck.

Agree wholeheartedly.  Strain will be the first factor to consider when designing a grow box that is stealth with regard to odor. 

I don't see a design on your post or fan spec OP so its hard to say but generally, IME the key is to make sure you are well sealed up.  If you maintain enough airflow out to keep a slightly negative pressure inside the well sealed box (the better the seal the easier this is, the higher your fan's flow rate the less the seal matters) then the only variable left to adjust is the filter itself.  The higher your fan's static pressure capability is, the better filter you can use and still maintain a negative pressure inside the box.  Reducing the size of your air intake can also help to maintain negative pressure.

Odor will seep through every little crack and cranny and even through a passive intake if negative pressure inside the box is not maintained, filter or not...  especially with a stink bomb strain.

--------------------
Opinions WILL vary!

This is all just an internet fantasy, ruse, delusion, fabrication etc...

OfflineMidgetpawn
 User Gallery

Re: will a grow box similar to this allow enough smell reduction?? [Re: Karmikal]
    #778343 - 05/10/15 10:03 PM (8 years, 10 months ago)

I have no idea if a carbon filter would hide the smell from someone in the room with the plants but if you're worried about the smell leaving the house and possibly the room, you may not even need a carbon filter if you grow something specifically said to be "low odor". In late flowering it might be noticeable when you open the door to the room, but I doubt it'd stink up the house. If you're trying to fool your parents or a roommate by chance... heh good luck.

I don't run very much, but over the last 2 or so years I've run a few strains from seed that had smell warnings or were supposed to be really smelly and I never had any plants that came close to being "smelly" or even carried smell outside of the area they were in. So I'm assuming you'll be fine with something low odor. Drying seems to be the smelliest time for the lower odor plants. I think some strains might seem like they have no odor but explode in late flower.

Invisibleoeric mckenna
Pure Indica

Loc: Mars
Re: will a grow box similar to this allow enough smell reduction?? [Re: Midgetpawn]
    #778361 - 05/11/15 07:47 AM (8 years, 10 months ago)

That "ONA" Gel is highly effective scent neutralizer but only place it in a location after the flow of air  since its bad for the weed... When placed anywhere your negative air isnt drawing from, it keeps the house frech, clean & weedless. I use it downstairs in my pad since thats where I smoke my hash...

--------------------
***Handing someone your life's work....in a single seed = :laugh: ***

HIGHER THAN A GEORGIA PINE

Oeric's Winter Grow Projects

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom