Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
InvisibleDeadkndys420
 User Gallery

Loc: █████
Re: mushroom farmers ,dealing with summertime contamination ? [Re: dmtcorey]
    #772553 - 03/17/15 02:21 PM (9 years, 14 days ago)

You are not really "pulling" anythig out unless you use a hepa filter. Imo your problem is your temps. Ideally you want it around 73-76. Contams like trich thrive when temps are.in the 80s. How many flushes do you get before you see green?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleCrushNazT
Male

Loc: Colorado Flag
Re: mushroom farmers ,dealing with summertime contamination ? [Re: Deadkndys420]
    #772561 - 03/17/15 02:52 PM (9 years, 14 days ago)

make sure you PC your rye long enough. if you get any contamination from rye/coco/ver, it definitely came from the rye. i tossed out 2 bags recently that were almost fully colonized but had just started growing green/black shit after i had mixed the bags up, it was hiding inside! i knew it was cause i slacked off and didnt PC long enough, so i did it again and PCd for 2 full hours and had zero problem with contam.

i think you're too worried about "outside" contamination. the coir is pretty resistant to contamination and so is any completely healthy fully colonized grain. so if you get contamination, i'd say that its 99% likely the grain wasnt sterilized long enough, and thats where it came from.

can you post a pic of your grow? im curious to see how this thing is set up.

Offlinecheezymold
That Guy

Re: mushroom farmers ,dealing with summertime contamination ? [Re: CrushNazT]
    #772575 - 03/17/15 03:10 PM (9 years, 14 days ago)

At the very least, use a lighter and torch your needle until it gets cherry red.  do not wipe the needle after.  Remember, alcohol sanatizes, not sterilizes.  I really don't think the problem is coming from your fruiting environment.  It never gets below 85f in my apartment,and usually stays around 95f during the day.

Seriously, you should start working with agar.  I got everything I need to make it for less than $10, and I won't be running out anytime soon.  Not only can you isolate a genome, you can also clean up your culture.  Your jars will colonize much faster and your crop will be more uniform so the space you are using will be more efficient.  After I started using agar, I could never go back to crapshoot multipurpose again.

InvisibleCrushNazT
Male

Loc: Colorado Flag
Re: mushroom farmers ,dealing with summertime contamination ? [Re: cheezymold]
    #772592 - 03/17/15 04:55 PM (9 years, 14 days ago)

jesus thats hot as balls in your apartment. where do you live?

Invisibledrawde
Re: mushroom farmers ,dealing with summertime contamination ? [Re: CrushNazT] * 3
    #772593 - 03/17/15 05:06 PM (9 years, 14 days ago)

I think our OP just need to get a better grasp on sterile technique in general, then he can start to zero in on his specific issues.

Offlinecheezymold
That Guy

Re: mushroom farmers ,dealing with summertime contamination ? [Re: drawde]
    #772608 - 03/17/15 05:50 PM (9 years, 14 days ago)

Hawaii.  I live in a concrete building, so it never cools off in this place.  Just started growing buds and I have to run an a/c 24 hours in the tent. 

Drawde is right though.  It seems like you are getting lucky during the winter due to environmental changes.  You are indeed getting the contaminants to stick to the steam, but the steam stays in the air while it is still hot, so that means contaminants still in the air. 

Since I haven't seen how you do your work, I cannot say for sure what is going wrong, but I can list a few things that should help.

-Always flame your needle every single time it touches anything.  This includes after the alcohol and the jar itself.  I almost guarantee this is where your problem is coming from. 

-The still air box is designed as it sounds.  You want to make sure that your movements are slow and steady to disrupt the still air environment as little as possible. 

-In my opinion, If you are going strait from PC to SAB, you shouldn't need to wipe the jar down. It just seems like you are adding more contaminants to it.  Just use 70% iso on your gloves. 

-Too much moisture in your grain is a huge issue too.  I wouldn't inoculate unless you can slowly turned upside down without the grain sticking together.  Putting too much water in the PC usually causes this.

Since you are using needles still, you might invest in some self healing injection ports for your jar lids.

Offlinedmtcorey
~The time police~
 User Gallery

Re: mushroom farmers ,dealing with summertime contamination ? [Re: drawde]
    #772712 - 03/18/15 09:10 AM (9 years, 13 days ago)

Quote:

Deadkndys420 said:
You are not really "pulling" anythig out unless you use a hepa filter. Imo your problem is your temps. Ideally you want it around 73-76. Contams like trich thrive when temps are.in the 80s. How many flushes do you get before you see green?

hey,using a hepa filter is part of the plan to capture air borne particals ,I ussaly pull 2 flushes.
Quote:

CrushNazT said:
make sure you PC your rye long enough. if you get any contamination from rye/coco/ver, it definitely came from the rye. i tossed out 2 bags recently that were almost fully colonized but had just started growing green/black shit after i had mixed the bags up, it was hiding inside! i knew it was cause i slacked off and didnt PC long enough, so i did it again and PCd for 2 full hours and had zero problem with contam.

i think you're too worried about "outside" contamination. the coir is pretty resistant to contamination and so is any completely healthy fully colonized grain. so if you get contamination, i'd say that its 99% likely the grain wasnt sterilized long enough, and thats where it came from.

can you post a pic of your grow? im curious to see how this thing is set up.

gonna so 2 hours in the pc to try and get cleaner grain jars ,and I took my set up down due to im gonna be moving to a new location shortly or I would post a pic for you .
Quote:

cheezymold said:
At the very least, use a lighter and torch your needle until it gets cherry red.  do not wipe the needle after.  Remember, alcohol sanatizes, not sterilizes.  I really don't think the problem is coming from your fruiting environment.  It never gets below 85f in my apartment,and usually stays around 95f during the day.

Seriously, you should start working with agar.  I got everything I need to make it for less than $10, and I won't be running out anytime soon.  Not only can you isolate a genome, you can also clean up your culture.  Your jars will colonize much faster and your crop will be more uniform so the space you are using will be more efficient.  After I started using agar, I could never go back to crapshoot multipurpose again.

hey cheezy ,gonna ad the burner to the arsenal as well plus a flow hood to so I have a space to work with agar and take my tech to the next phase.i just wiped down the jar of spawn that comes from the room I store my spawn I don't wipe the jars that come from the pc and thos lids are a good call to .
Quote:

drawde said:
I think our OP just need to get a better grasp on sterile technique in general, then he can start to zero in on his specific issues.

thanks drawde you hit that shit from the start ,gave me a push in the right direction ,thank you

--------------------
:whereismiddleman:

InvisibleDeadkndys420
 User Gallery

Loc: █████
Re: mushroom farmers ,dealing with summertime contamination ? [Re: dmtcorey]
    #772730 - 03/18/15 12:34 PM (9 years, 13 days ago)

Hm. Well it's not like you are getting it on your first flush so I'm thinking  your jars are not the problem. As the mycelium produces "flushes" it will get weaker and weaker. And eventually starts succumbing to the contams that are present. It makes sense to me that it is colder in that room in the winter. So the contams take longer to germinate and eventually sporulate, so you get more flushes (trich is white before it releases its spores fyi). Hence why in the summer you only get two flushes. So I am sticking with my orginal idea that temperature is the reason why you see green before flush #3.

Offlinedmtcorey
~The time police~
 User Gallery

Re: mushroom farmers ,dealing with summertime contamination ? [Re: Deadkndys420]
    #772819 - 03/19/15 10:01 AM (9 years, 12 days ago)

in the summer I sometimes do get hit on the first flush,im lucky to pull 2 flushed per tray ! but like you say about the heat ,winter I keep the room 70 ,summer time its at least 80 so the 10 degrees difference is a huge difference ,but like these other guys say to I could do more to better my sterile tech as well .

--------------------
:whereismiddleman:

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom