Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, USA West Coast Strains   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineTribalSeed
SoulJah

Loc: Babylon
Is this a fire hazard?
    #768393 - 02/04/15 07:54 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Hey guys, I recently found out about a device called a "flame defender". Im sure most of you have heard of it before but if not, its basically an automatic fire extinguisher. If things in the tent/grow area get above a certain temp, blam, it goes off and puts out any flame, and its got a pretty good blast on it too.

My concern is, most tents are flame retardent, Mine is at least. Most guys sit their ballast on the outside of their tents. The ballast is one of the many things that could catch on fire. So if its on the outside of the tent and the flame defender is on the outside, then how is that really helping?

I usually sit my ballasts on a concrete block and set that on the floor which is carpeted so the concrete can absorb some of the heat. They are apollo ballasts. One 400 and one 600. My lights are air cooled and all that jazz. But I am just wondering if that thing would provide any peace of mind for a grower if the ballasts are outside of the area protected by the flame defender.

I can hook my ballasts up inside the tent, but it seems like more of a fire hazard having a ballast around a 4 bucket DWC than sitting it the way I had it.

I've been off "work" for about 4 months and now im setting back up so I'm nervous about the safety factor since I am not home most of the day now.

Thanks for the advice and guidance guys and if you havent heard of the flame defender check it out, hell, for 50 bucks, it aint a bad deal for a fail safe like that.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinedmtcorey
~The time police~
 User Gallery

Re: Is this a fire hazard? [Re: TribalSeed]
    #768425 - 02/05/15 10:51 AM (9 years, 1 month ago)

you nervous about setting up eh ,I just tore down my grow 3 months ago and set back up because of fire alarm inspections ,now I sit hear with x2 4x8 in full bloom and an 8x8 dwc veg set up downstairs awaiting them to come today to install a carbonminoxide detector up stairs ,basement is sealed and there is no smell but im nervous as fk trying to keep busy ,I think were most fires would start are from bad wiring in old homes

--------------------
:whereismiddleman:

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Is this a fire hazard? [Re: dmtcorey]
    #768434 - 02/05/15 12:43 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

The manufacturer has not included enough product information.
Three additional things that need to be know are
1) Suppression agent (what is in it)
2) A numerical rating along with the NFPA class A,B,C, type fire.
3) Heat activation temperature
One should realize that the model has a fusible link and heat at a given temperature (set by manufacturer) has to reach the unit before the agent will expel.

:happyweed:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Offlinebudgrowerwannabe
Bum fighter
Male User Gallery

Re: Is this a fire hazard? [Re: dmtcorey]
    #768443 - 02/05/15 04:59 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

dmtcorey said:
you nervous about setting up eh ,I just tore down my grow 3 months ago and set back up because of fire alarm inspections ,now I sit hear with x2 4x8 in full bloom and an 8x8 dwc veg set up downstairs awaiting them to come today to install a carbonminoxide detector up stairs ,basement is sealed and there is no smell but im nervous as fk trying to keep busy ,I think were most fires would start are from bad wiring in old homes

You mother hummper!!! My house was built in like 1780 by my great great great grandady! Im never going to sleep again! Thanks.

OfflineTribalSeed
SoulJah

Re: Is this a fire hazard? [Re: Magash]
    #768458 - 02/05/15 07:50 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Magash said:
The manufacturer has not included enough product information.
Three additional things that need to be know are
1) Suppression agent (what is in it)
2) A numerical rating along with the NFPA class A,B,C, type fire.
3) Heat activation temperature
One should realize that the model has a fusible link and heat at a given temperature (set by manufacturer) has to reach the unit before the agent will expel.

:happyweed:

1.monoammonium phosphate
2. Its rated for A,B, and C.
3. 155 F is the activation temp.

I had to look through the question and answers on amazon, but I found most of the info, except for a numberical rating.

Do you think I need to move my ballasts in the tents if I use it? I got a DWC setup in one. Seems like a choice of the lesser of two evils.lol

--------------------

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Loc: Earth (mostly) Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Is this a fire hazard? [Re: TribalSeed] * 1
    #768463 - 02/05/15 08:41 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Just one of the many reason's to buy an LED...

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
Bamboo Bongs I make | Perfect Dry and Cure | Grapegod under LED
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

OfflineMidgetpawn
 User Gallery

Re: Is this a fire hazard? [Re: phychotron]
    #768467 - 02/05/15 10:28 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

could always hand a bunch of water balloons! I wonder how often growers actually burn down their house and or grow area

OfflineTribalSeed
SoulJah

Re: Is this a fire hazard? [Re: phychotron]
    #768525 - 02/06/15 08:38 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

phychotron said:
Just one of the many reason's to buy an LED...

We got a Cali Lightworks Solarflare 220 going in the shop, and honestly for the price, Im not swayed on it. Im sure there are better LEDs, but for the price of a good quality LED, I could have payed three house payments.lol.

I am probably just being extremely cautious. They seem like an awesome safety measure, but I guess it could also be one of those products companies use to get a quick buck of growers who dont know no better. (me.lol)

--------------------

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Loc: Earth (mostly) Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Is this a fire hazard? [Re: TribalSeed]
    #768548 - 02/06/15 10:46 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

CLW seems decent but I'm not really sold on them either.  HPS converts have the hardest time with LED, they usually buy the cheapest light cause of costs differences are different than their current pricing plan and expect it to work, or they buy one large fixture expecting it to replace one bulb, but then they're not getting with the concept of LED and spreading the light out. Then on top of that they usually try to grow in an HPS environment and keep it too cool or continue feeding the way they normally do.

Personally I was swayed by quality of light source, not price. My goal is to grow the highest quality bud possible--that doesn't include an HID light source in that process. The market however really is shit right now, it takes a bit of research before you can find that ideal light.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
Bamboo Bongs I make | Perfect Dry and Cure | Grapegod under LED
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

Offlinedmtcorey
~The time police~
 User Gallery

Re: Is this a fire hazard? [Re: budgrowerwannabe]
    #768652 - 02/07/15 10:35 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

budgrowerwannabe said:
Quote:

dmtcorey said:

You mother hummper!!! My house was built in like 1780 by my great great great grandady! Im never going to sleep again! Thanks.

lol ,just don't max any circuits ,stay below the rated recommendations is what I what do , fire extinguisher. lol sweet dreams

sorry for going off the thread topic

--------------------
:whereismiddleman:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, USA West Coast Strains   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies