Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineShortCircuit
Robot

pH and stuffs
    #763831 - 12/30/14 02:28 PM (9 years, 2 months ago)

tap water is 8.5, water was adjusted to 6.5-7 before being added to soil, run off is . . . 4

i use ocean forest and happy frog... i'm guessing the humic acids are in large numbers in the soil, and i should probably only water with unadjusted tap water, what do you guys think?

this is of fresh new soil too

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinewebster10

Re: pH and stuffs [Re: ShortCircuit]
    #763832 - 12/30/14 02:39 PM (9 years, 2 months ago)

flush with tap water until the runoff checks out at 6.3-6.8. Then only feed with 6.3-6.8 fluids. Whether you're watering with no nutes or nutes, always pH correctly.

Invisibleoeric mckenna
Pure Indica

Loc: Mars
Re: pH and stuffs [Re: webster10]
    #763843 - 12/30/14 05:05 PM (9 years, 2 months ago)

I love that ocean forest soil. my plants get all jacked up in that shit

--------------------
***Handing someone your life's work....in a single seed = :laugh: ***

HIGHER THAN A GEORGIA PINE

Oeric's Winter Grow Projects

OfflineShortCircuit
Robot

#763855 - 12/30/14 07:08 PM (9 years, 2 months ago)

thanks man, what do you think caused a pH of four?

and d00d i've grown many tomatoes using mixes of this and they do sooo well. the fruits come out so nice.

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #763857 - 12/30/14 07:58 PM (9 years, 2 months ago)

Were you having issues?  Why were you checking the run off?

It's probably the peat in the soil.  FF is heavy in that, it can become acidic

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

OfflineShortCircuit
Robot

Re: pH and stuffs [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #763874 - 12/31/14 12:07 AM (9 years, 2 months ago)

im sorry if this post comes out as a jumbled pile of jibberish

you oughta see the plants i got.

first overwatered and got claw/minor root rot which stunted the growth

then i gave them too much nutrients and ended up with nute burn.

started taking samples of the water and found out it was pH 4

they still look pretty, one is expressing a different set of phenotypes and handling everything like a real champ

Edited by ShortCircuit (12/31/14 12:18 AM)

OfflineShortCircuit
Robot

#763876 - 12/31/14 12:08 AM (9 years, 2 months ago)

those problems are why i started checking the water. i've also eased back off of feeding as i just repotted. still in vegetative

Offlinewebster10

#763894 - 12/31/14 04:31 AM (9 years, 2 months ago)

So the water you have is 4 pH? Or is that just the pH of the water+nutrient solution you gave them?

OfflineShortCircuit
Robot

#764745 - 01/09/15 12:57 AM (9 years, 2 months ago)

got a minute? i'll tell you everything i've ever done to the plant

the water coming off these plants is still 4. so my tap water is like 8-8.5, so i gave it some ph lower so that the water going in was 6.5-7 and that was a definite no-no didn't seem to like that. then i gave it some ph up so it was above 8.5 in the water going in - and the leaves seemed to respond better to that, the ones i have watched grow and mature over the past nine days, they grew nice good shade of green.

the new growth, however, is lanky and light green, likely from some kind of ph imbalance in the form of a lockout of boron, sulphur, potassium, or maybe even nitrogen, considering she has been overcared for and i've made the common noob mistake of overwatering. am i correct? this diagnosis seems to fit considering the wrinkly state of the newer leaves mixed with minor talon/claw-leaf, no?

i really should have added some dolomite lime or even the pulverized lime i have a huge bag of to my soil before hand :facepalm:

the water that i put through her contains a bit of molasses, 1/2 to 1 tbs, and they seem to like the cal.mag and sugars

OfflineShortCircuit
Robot

Re: pH and stuffs *DELETED* [Re: webster10]
    #764746 - 01/09/15 01:04 AM (9 years, 2 months ago)

Post deleted by StateOfMindGone

Reason for deletion: duplicate

Offlinewebster10

#764783 - 01/09/15 02:54 PM (9 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

the water coming off these plants is still 4. so my tap water is like 8-8.5, so i gave it some ph lower so that the water going in was 6.5-7 and that was a definite no-no didn't seem to like that. then i gave it some ph up so it was above 8.5 in the water going in - and the leaves seemed to respond better to that, the ones i have watched grow and mature over the past nine days, they grew nice good shade of green.

Definitely keep the pH of whatever you're putting in very high like at 8.5 like you have been doing. But what you need to do, even if it will overwater the plant, is flush it out. Flush a lot of water through with a high pH. Keep on doing this until the runoff is measuring at 6.0-6.8 then at this point, pH the water you're putting in at 6.2-6.5 and check the runoff. If it is anywhere from 6.0-6.8 you're fine. It may hurt the plant in the short term but after this happens, you're going to have a good start for efficient nutrient uptake. Your plant might look bad for a few days but after that it will perk back up.

Quote:

the new growth, however, is lanky and light green, likely from some kind of ph imbalance in the form of a lockout of boron, sulphur, potassium, or maybe even nitrogen, considering she has been overcared for and i've made the common noob mistake of overwatering. am i correct? this diagnosis seems to fit considering the wrinkly state of the newer leaves mixed with minor talon/claw-leaf/, no?

This is really an impossible question if you don't take extremely good notes. We'd need a log of when you've watered, including how much water you have them, what the pH and ppm of the water was, and what made up the ppm of the water. It is a lot, I know. Also things like temperature and humidity, what kind of light and distance of light from plants all factor in. The first step would be to fill out this:

1. Are you growing from seed or clones?
2. How old are your plants?
3. How tall are your plants?
4. What size containers are they planted in?
5. What is your soil mix?
6. How often do you water and what type of water do you use and how much you give per watering?
7. What is the pH of your water?
8. What kind of fertilizer do you use and what is its NPK ratio?
9. Do you foliar feed or spray your plants with anything?
10. What kind of lights do you use and how many watts combined? (HPS, MH, fluorescent, halogen, incandescent "plant lights")
11. How close are your lights to the plants?
12. What size is your grow space in square feet?
13. What is the temperature and humidity in your grow space?
14. What is the pH of the soil?
15. Have you noticed any insect activity in your grow space?
16. How much experience do you have growing?

the second step would be to upload very clear pictures.

Quote:

i really should have added some dolomite lime or even the pulverized lime i have a huge bag of to my soil before hand :facepalm:

I think ffof has dolomite lime but I have heard it is a worthwhile amendment to add to a soil mix.

Quote:

the water that i put through her contains a bit of molasses, 1/2 to 1 tbs, and they seem to like the cal.mag and sugars

If they seem to like it, then don't change what's not broken but they don't seem to be doing very well from your description.

OfflineShortCircuit
Robot

#766224 - 01/17/15 09:25 PM (9 years, 2 months ago)

update: ph running less hot, finally was able to water, one plant was drooping from lack of water, the other was ok, but both had bone dry soil

ph came out to be 5.5, so things are raising slowly. can't believe it's been 8 days already, jeez

OfflineShortCircuit
Robot

#766225 - 01/17/15 09:26 PM (9 years, 2 months ago)

thanks again for the help.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds