Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Gold Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineRev. Bud Green
Experienced Toker
Male User Gallery

brown spots on leaves
    #761342 - 12/11/14 12:35 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Any ideas about what's wrong? Third week. No nutes yet. Water pH always 6.5. Temp about 77-80°

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinebudgrowerwannabe
Bum fighter
Male User Gallery

Re: brown spots on leaves [Re: Rev. Bud Green]
    #761345 - 12/11/14 12:50 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

What kind of soil ? could be alot of things! Fill out that list at the top .It will help us help you bud! Looks like nut
burn/ over watering? But we need more info to help ya!

OfflineRev. Bud Green
Experienced Toker
Male User Gallery

Re: brown spots on leaves [Re: budgrowerwannabe]
    #761350 - 12/11/14 02:24 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Soil Growers:
1. Are you growing from seed or clones? Seed
2. How old are your plants? 2 weeks
3. How tall are your plants? 1 1/2 - 2"
4. What size containers are they planted in?  5 gallon bucket
5. What is your soil mix? Roots organic original
6. How often do you water and what type of water do you use and how much you give per watering? Every 2-3 days. Tap water that has sat out overnight. About 24 ounces
7. What is the pH of your water? 6.5
8. What kind of fertilizer do you use and what is its NPK ratio? None
9. Do you foliar feed or spray your plants with anything? No
10. What kind of lights do you use and how many watts combined? (HPS, MH, fluorescent, halogen, incandescent "plant lights") cfls, totalling 130 watts
11. How close are your lights to the plants? 2"
12. What size is your grow space in square feet? 5 gallon bucket
13. What is the temperature and humidity in your grow space? Temp average is 77°. Low humidity
14. What is the pH of the soil? Getting meter next payday
15. Have you noticed any insect activity in your grow space? No
16. How much experience do you have growing? None.

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #761351 - 12/11/14 02:33 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

The soil is probably a bit too hot for the young plant.  My guess it's it will grow out of it

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

OfflineRev. Bud Green
Experienced Toker
Male User Gallery

Re: brown spots on leaves [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #761352 - 12/11/14 02:42 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

When u say the soil may b too hot u mean the actual temperature? If so, how do I maintain the air temp and bring down the soil temp? The air temp shouldn't drop below 70° right?

Offlinewebster10

#761354 - 12/11/14 02:46 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

He means the soil is too nutrient rich.

Offlinebudgrowerwannabe
Bum fighter
Male User Gallery

Re: brown spots on leaves [Re: webster10]
    #761370 - 12/11/14 05:18 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

dude your in a 5 gallon bucket with that little plant, and your watering 2-3 times a week wow thats way to much.

I grow in buckets too i dont water till there dry. You can tell when it needs water by lifting it! fill a bucket with dry medium and after you water the bucket with the plant pick both up. You will see. Then once in a while come in and pick your bucket up to check. You could even leave the one around just to reference off of. 

Either way you drowning it  bud!

OfflineGanjaganj
Stranger
Re: brown spots on leaves [Re: budgrowerwannabe]
    #761409 - 12/12/14 01:17 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

budgrowerwannabe said:
dude your in a 5 gallon bucket with that little plant, and your watering 2-3 times a week wow thats way to much.

I grow in buckets too i dont water till there dry. You can tell when it needs water by lifting it! fill a bucket with dry medium and after you water the bucket with the plant pick both up. You will see. Then once in a while come in and pick your bucket up to check. You could even leave the one around just to reference off of. 

Either way you drowning it  bud!

:whathesaid:

For watering, if it isnt dry dont apply. The lift test hes mentioning is the way to go. Even if that thing were in a dixie cup it would only need water maybe every four days. Lay off the water a bit and be aware of the soil mix before using next time.

OfflineRev. Bud Green
Experienced Toker
Male User Gallery

Re: brown spots on leaves [Re: Ganjaganj]
    #761418 - 12/12/14 03:21 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

I always stick my finger in soil to make sure its dry before watering, but I'll lay off. What about the soil mix should I be aware of?

Offlinewebster10

#761424 - 12/12/14 04:23 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

How nutrient rich it is. You should read about it online to see if other people have had trouble putting seedlings directly in it before you put seedlings in it.

OfflineGoonerHeClips
Stranger

Re: brown spots on leaves [Re: webster10]
    #761429 - 12/12/14 06:19 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

It's really better to start a seedling in a smaller container such as a tall plastic beer cup with holes in the bottom, and around the bottom sides for lots of drainage.  Then keep it moist, not wet.

OfflineRev. Bud Green
Experienced Toker
Male User Gallery

Re: brown spots on leaves [Re: GoonerHeClips]
    #761438 - 12/12/14 10:26 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

I did start it in a smaller container, but it was in hyponics soil. People were telling me that that was no good, so I moved it to final container, once I got the new soil. The guy at hydro store told me that the roots organic soil was very good. They were out of fox farms, and I was thinking that I needed it in better soil asap, so I opted for the roots. What is the best soil for seedlings?

OfflineGoonerHeClips
Stranger

#761512 - 12/13/14 06:09 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Rev. Bud Green said:
I did start it in a smaller container, but it was in hyponics soil. People were telling me that that was no good, so I moved it to final container, once I got the new soil. The guy at hydro store told me that the roots organic soil was very good. They were out of fox farms, and I was thinking that I needed it in better soil asap, so I opted for the roots. What is the best soil for seedlings?

The best soil for seedlings is no soil.  Coco fiber, but now you are into hydroponics.  Coco is great because it retains water, but also doesn't hold too much water.  In other words, almost impossible to over water, and the recommended watering/feeding is in fact to water until you get 20% or so runoff each time.  Roots organic is known for it's fungal gnat problem so be advised you may see those buggers at some point.  Time for predatory nematodes and Stratio-S mites that will kill those nasty larvae eating your "Roots".

Speaking of water, what kind are you using, what solids, pH, from a well, tap water, city water, and how do you drop your pH?  This is likely to be a bigger issue than the soil.  I suspect your water is hard and alkaline from your pictures.

OfflineRev. Bud Green
Experienced Toker
Male User Gallery

#761533 - 12/13/14 10:48 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

I'm using tap water, after its sat out for a day or two. I always check the pH before watering. It rarely needs adjusting, but when it does I use pH up or pH down.

OfflineRev. Bud Green
Experienced Toker
Male User Gallery

#761534 - 12/13/14 10:50 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

So if I use the coco fiber to germ and throughout seedling stage, can I then place the coco fiber into soil, or a bigger pot of coco fiber?

OfflineRev. Bud Green
Experienced Toker
Male User Gallery

#761566 - 12/13/14 06:21 PM (9 years, 3 months ago)

She's looking fat, but drooping so much, the bottom leaves are touching the soil.

OfflineGoonerHeClips
Stranger

#761618 - 12/14/14 08:08 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Rev. Bud Green said:
So if I use the coco fiber to germ and throughout seedling stage, can I then place the coco fiber into soil, or a bigger pot of coco fiber?

Go with the bigger pot of coco fiber if you go coco from the start.

Another product that has worked for me is Rapid Rooter plugs.  I always poke the hole to the bottom with a bamboo skewer, and tear them open top to bottom before putting in the seed.  That way they don't stop the tap root penetration at the bottom, and also allow the stem to expand without stretching foam.  So their design sucks, but can be modified.  Just soak them in 1/4 strength veg nutes pH to 6.0 and into a tall dome tray, let the seed germinate there and let the seedling grow until the root just barely pokes out the side or bottom.  Then place into coco or soil super carefully with a gap at bottom so as to NOT damage that tap root, and let it have a little more air for a bit.

And moist in the dome for the plugs, with the nute solution just touching the bottom of the plugs like 1/4" up the bottom, tops.

OfflineGoonerHeClips
Stranger

#761620 - 12/14/14 08:10 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Rev. Bud Green said:
I'm using tap water, after its sat out for a day or two. I always check the pH before watering. It rarely needs adjusting, but when it does I use pH up or pH down.

Do you have a TDS meter?  What is your tap water TDS, and starting pH?

OfflineRev. Bud Green
Experienced Toker
Male User Gallery

#761624 - 12/14/14 08:28 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

I do not know what a TDs meter is. If its reasonably priced I could possibly get one in a few days. I'm also purchasing a grow tent and my nutes with this paycheck, so funds will b limited.

4 out of 5 times that I've drawn tap water, the pH was at 6.5. Once it was about 5.5-6.

OfflineGoonerHeClips
Stranger

#761655 - 12/14/14 11:53 AM (9 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Rev. Bud Green said:
I do not know what a TDs meter is. If its reasonably priced I could possibly get one in a few days. I'm also purchasing a grow tent and my nutes with this paycheck, so funds will b limited.

4 out of 5 times that I've drawn tap water, the pH was at 6.5. Once it was about 5.5-6.

TDS = TotalDissolvedSolids or you can measure EC which is electrical conductivity.  Basically it is how many minerals/salts are in your water conducting electricity. 

Your water is acidic but that is good.  It probably is soft? with not a lot of solids in it.

Edited by GoonerHeClips (12/14/14 11:55 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds