Home | Community | Message Board


World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Cannabis, Marijuana, Ganja & Greens >> Cannabis Cultivation

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop for:   Amazon HPS, Hydroponics Supplies, Mylar Film, pH Test Strips   Original Seeds Store Feminized Seeds

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineFramedLink
Stranger
Registered: 11/24/14
Posts: 8
Last seen: 2 years, 7 days
beginner questions.
    #758953 - 11/25/14 04:24 PM (2 years, 9 days ago)

Hey guys. I'm new here, come from the shroomery. I knew about this site for a while but never registered because growing weed, I thought, takes allot of space and it smells beautiful but very dangerous, but then I stumbled upon a thing called a space bucket and I'm very curious, and think that I might have a chance.

But before I commit to build this thing I would like to know a couple of things.
1. Will the smell be a problem?
2. How much wattage dose the thing needs(I know that that depends on the parts but maybe you guys know the average or how much your space bucket needs), and dose it have to run 24/7?
3. How much and how often do I need to add stuff to the soil, and take care of it in general?
4. How big is a Space Bucket and can I keep it in the closet or a small enclosed space for long periods of time?(It's not a requirement but a good thing to know)


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineshr00000oooooms
Stranger
 User Gallery
Registered: 09/26/14
Posts: 29
Last seen: 1 year, 11 months
Re: beginner questions. [Re: FramedLink]
    #758954 - 11/25/14 04:45 PM (2 years, 9 days ago)

You should wait for an expierenced grower rather than rely on my reply (I haven't grown before)

But based off what I've read here and online.

1. Yes. If you're growing in your parents house and they're not cool with it, I'd recommend you dont try and you can get a filter or exhaust? Something along those lines  if you have a grow tent fto help the smell.
2.wattage is different for different lights and certain preferences.  What lights will you be using? (Cfl, hps, led or natural) I'm not sure of the wattage per square foot, so I suggest you look it up.
2a. No. You're lights dont need to run 24/7, although they can in the vegetative stage(I don't think its preferred, but keep your lights running for 18-24 hours during that stage,source my jnformstikn
and then during the flowering stage most people do 12 hours on, 12 hours off.
3. I Dont believe very often, you definitely don't want to feed your plants too many nutrients as its a common beginner mistake. I would esit for someone else to answer that.
4. On the website it says 5 gallons and seems a little tall? I'd guess it's 1-3 feet maybe? Idk. Hard to tell from picture. And, it seems like it'd fit in a ccloset and I'm not sure if you could keep it in there for long period of times, but most likely.

I tried not giving you wrong advice or anything, but I'd definitely wait for someone else, and if I'm wrong, I'd love if someone who's a grower before or knows about this topic much more than I would correct it!


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineshr00000oooooms
Stranger
 User Gallery
Registered: 09/26/14
Posts: 29
Last seen: 1 year, 11 months
Re: beginner questions. [Re: shr00000oooooms]
    #758955 - 11/25/14 04:52 PM (2 years, 9 days ago)

Here's it a little more simple.

For vegetative state, I'd start out for 18 hours of light a day with around 50 wattage per sq foot (definitely look this one up more. Its hard to find a set in stone answer from everyone's preferences.) And then when you get to the flowering stage I'd do a 12(hours on)/12(hours off) light cycle. I honestly wouldn't even fuck much with nutrients if I were you, unless your plant happens to have a problem.

It will smell. If you're growing in a closet and trying to hide it from other people who live in the house, it'll be difficult to hide the smell, I wouldn't even try. And then imagine drying it.
If you decide to do it and start enjoying it, I'd ditch the space bucket and get a grow tent.


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineFramedLink
Stranger
Registered: 11/24/14
Posts: 8
Last seen: 2 years, 7 days
Re: beginner questions. [Re: shr00000oooooms]
    #758959 - 11/25/14 05:15 PM (2 years, 9 days ago)

What about if it's something like Blue Mystic weed, people suggest that it doesn't have that strong weed smell?


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleskippy
Stoner

Registered: 09/22/14
Posts: 81
Loc: Oz
Re: beginner questions. [Re: shr00000oooooms]
    #758996 - 11/25/14 08:31 PM (2 years, 9 days ago)

Quote:

shr00000oooooms said:
It will smell. If you're growing in a closet and trying to hide it from other people who live in the house, it'll be difficult to hide the smell




Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleZombi3
Greenhouse Technician
Male User Gallery


Registered: 01/15/13
Posts: 1,222
Loc: Bat Country Flag
Re: beginner questions. [Re: FramedLink]
    #759041 - 11/25/14 10:12 PM (2 years, 9 days ago)

Hey there! Glad to help if I can.


1. Will the smell be a problem?
Absolutely not if you get yourself a carbon filter. Activated carbon filters will remove %99.99 of smell from the air, if not %100. The only requirement to use one is an airtight grow location, otherwise smell will leak and render the filter useless. It doesnt need to be "airtight" as long as you have a "vacuum" sort of pressure, tents are very easy to dial in to get zero air leaks.

2. How much wattage dose the thing needs(I know that that depends on the parts but maybe you guys know the average or how much your space bucket needs), and dose it have to run 24/7?
A good rule of thumb to go with is; 100watts per plant, or, 50watts per square foot. Whichever is easier for you to achieve.
You will never need to run your lights more than 18 hours in one day. Cannabis is a short day/long night photoperiodic plant which means it initiates flower production when the days when become shortened.
In your vegetative stage of growth you will be running your lights on an 18/6 schedule, this stage usually lasts 2-4 weeks.
In your flowering stage of growth you will be running your lights on a 12/12 schedule, this stage usually lasts 8 weeks.
So lets say 2 weeks with your lights on for 18 hours a day and then 8 weeks having your lights on for only 12 hours a day.


3. How much and how often do I need to add stuff to the soil, and take care of it in general?
Every grower will tell you something different for nutrients. There is a general guide on EC and pH requirements but as for what you literally put in the soil. Thats entirely up to you. I recomend going to a local hydroponic store and asking for a simple A/B (Vegetative/Flowering) nutrient formula that is straight forward for noobs, you just mix around 5ml fertilizer per 1L of water.
Feeding schedules also vary, you can feed daily, weekly, its all up to you and your nutrients as well as how your plants are growing and feeding.
As for general plant care, expect about 30-60 minutes per day to inspect plants and grow area for problems/damage/bugs/disease/defficiency/etc etc.


4. How big is a Space Bucket and can I keep it in the closet or a small enclosed space for long periods of time?(It's not a requirement but a good thing to know)
Ive never heard of a space bucket and Im not going to google that shit. By the name of it though I can guess it overpriced and underbuilt. If youre serious about growing get a proper setup.

- 3x3 mylar tent        = $120
- 600w HPS+Ballast      = $200
- Carbon Filter/Fan    = $100
- Interior Fan          = $20
- Miscalaneous          = $50



Grow your own danketry? = Priceless. But actually it costs $500.


--------------------
* Die For Your Government *


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineFramedLink
Stranger
Registered: 11/24/14
Posts: 8
Last seen: 2 years, 7 days
Re: beginner questions. [Re: Zombi3]
    #759096 - 11/26/14 05:24 AM (2 years, 9 days ago)

Quote:

Zombi3 said:
Hey there! Glad to help if I can.


1. Will the smell be a problem?
Absolutely not if you get yourself a carbon filter. Activated carbon filters will remove %99.99 of smell from the air, if not %100. The only requirement to use one is an airtight grow location, otherwise smell will leak and render the filter useless. It doesnt need to be "airtight" as long as you have a "vacuum" sort of pressure, tents are very easy to dial in to get zero air leaks.

2. How much wattage dose the thing needs(I know that that depends on the parts but maybe you guys know the average or how much your space bucket needs), and dose it have to run 24/7?
A good rule of thumb to go with is; 100watts per plant, or, 50watts per square foot. Whichever is easier for you to achieve.
You will never need to run your lights more than 18 hours in one day. Cannabis is a short day/long night photoperiodic plant which means it initiates flower production when the days when become shortened.
In your vegetative stage of growth you will be running your lights on an 18/6 schedule, this stage usually lasts 2-4 weeks.
In your flowering stage of growth you will be running your lights on a 12/12 schedule, this stage usually lasts 8 weeks.
So lets say 2 weeks with your lights on for 18 hours a day and then 8 weeks having your lights on for only 12 hours a day.


3. How much and how often do I need to add stuff to the soil, and take care of it in general?
Every grower will tell you something different for nutrients. There is a general guide on EC and pH requirements but as for what you literally put in the soil. Thats entirely up to you. I recomend going to a local hydroponic store and asking for a simple A/B (Vegetative/Flowering) nutrient formula that is straight forward for noobs, you just mix around 5ml fertilizer per 1L of water.
Feeding schedules also vary, you can feed daily, weekly, its all up to you and your nutrients as well as how your plants are growing and feeding.
As for general plant care, expect about 30-60 minutes per day to inspect plants and grow area for problems/damage/bugs/disease/defficiency/etc etc.


4. How big is a Space Bucket and can I keep it in the closet or a small enclosed space for long periods of time?(It's not a requirement but a good thing to know)
Ive never heard of a space bucket and Im not going to google that shit. By the name of it though I can guess it overpriced and underbuilt. If youre serious about growing get a proper setup.

- 3x3 mylar tent        = $120
- 600w HPS+Ballast      = $200
- Carbon Filter/Fan    = $100
- Interior Fan          = $20
- Miscalaneous          = $50



Grow your own danketry? = Priceless. But actually it costs $500.




I doubt I'll have that kind of space or the money.
http://www.growweedeasy.com/marijuana-space-buckets#materials-needed-for-space-buckets
A Space Bucket or a Grow Bucket, as I understand, is not that expensive(probably like 150-180$ with the carbon filter). You could probably purchase it but it doesn't look difficult to build one. It also look's like a really stealthy setup, it's small, easy to control the smell(On on side a fan that blows inword, another with a carbon filter blows outward).
It looks like a perfect system for a guy who doesn't have a lot's of money, space and doesn't need a mountain of weed.


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineFramedLink
Stranger
Registered: 11/24/14
Posts: 8
Last seen: 2 years, 7 days
Re: beginner questions. [Re: FramedLink]
    #759100 - 11/26/14 07:22 AM (2 years, 9 days ago)

So I've done some digging, but I don't quite understand how this works.
I'm a shroom grower and I like to be self sufficient as possible so I don't buy spores or syringes every 2 months.
Now as I understand, if I plant a feminized seed, I'll get 100% weed but the plant wont produce seeds at the end of it's life cycle but if I plant a regular seed it will produce male and female buds, smoke the females and use the males just for seeds?


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleskippy
Stoner

Registered: 09/22/14
Posts: 81
Loc: Oz
Re: beginner questions. [Re: FramedLink]
    #759103 - 11/26/14 08:32 AM (2 years, 9 days ago)

You need a male and female plant for seeds or search the forum for sts spray which will turn the female plant male.


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleZombi3
Greenhouse Technician
Male User Gallery


Registered: 01/15/13
Posts: 1,222
Loc: Bat Country Flag
Re: beginner questions. [Re: FramedLink]
    #759129 - 11/26/14 10:03 AM (2 years, 9 days ago)

Quote:

FramedLink said:
http://www.growweedeasy.com/marijuana-space-buckets#materials-needed-for-space-buckets



That looks like a fire hazard and I doubt it performs well.
You could get a 1x1 proper tent and 100w cfl for under $200. If youre already planning on spending at least $100 I would wait another 2 pay checks and get a proper growing tent. Dont grow in plastic buckets lol


--------------------
* Die For Your Government *


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineFramedLink
Stranger
Registered: 11/24/14
Posts: 8
Last seen: 2 years, 7 days
Re: beginner questions. [Re: skippy]
    #759158 - 11/26/14 11:46 AM (2 years, 9 days ago)

Quote:

Zombi3 said:
Quote:

FramedLink said:
http://www.growweedeasy.com/marijuana-space-buckets#materials-needed-for-space-buckets



That looks like a fire hazard and I doubt it performs well.
You could get a 1x1 proper tent and 100w cfl for under $200. If youre already planning on spending at least $100 I would wait another 2 pay checks and get a proper growing tent. Dont grow in plastic buckets lol



Oh ok. Something like this:
http://www.greners.com/i/grow-tents/size/1-x-1.html
This is actually looks even better.

Quote:

skippy said:
You need a male and female plant for seeds or search the forum for sts spray which will turn the female plant male.



So what's the best way to approach this, the 1x1 tent look's like it can only handle 1 plant. Should I grow feminized seeds for smoking but then occasionally waist 2 months just to grow seeds that I can feminize and then wait another two monts to have a smoke?


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinebudgrowerwannabe
Bum fighter
Male User Gallery


Registered: 01/28/12
Posts: 3,174
Last seen: 16 days, 1 hour
Re: beginner questions. [Re: FramedLink]
    #759166 - 11/26/14 12:26 PM (2 years, 9 days ago)

Dont worry about makin seeds yet! Just buy some good gen. fem seeds and grow them/clone them. You will be able to harvest more often with phones and clones.



My two cents



oooo Yea dont burn down yo crib with that bucket shit.That could be good for moms but for a good grow and yield you need more lights hps/mh/led .

Cfls are great for veg. but to really pack it in you need power lol

I veg all mine under t8 and t5s

Here are some babies under the t8s see how close you get them so they bush out!!



Here is when I was setting the t8s up .


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleZombi3
Greenhouse Technician
Male User Gallery


Registered: 01/15/13
Posts: 1,222
Loc: Bat Country Flag
Re: beginner questions. [Re: FramedLink]
    #759187 - 11/26/14 02:52 PM (2 years, 8 days ago)

Dont worry about making seeds, just buy feminized seeds. It is not going to be easy at all in any way for you to produce feminized seeds, actually its probably impossible for you, sorry lol.

Yes something exactly like that 1x1 tent is perfect! You should be able to pick up a 100-200 watt CFL somewhere for under 120$ that will come with a socket and everything, plug and play. It would be nice to get a fan and a carbon filter on there too, but if you smoke in your residence and dont worry about smell then one plant growing on top of that wontmake a huge difference, 3+ plants is when you really start to notice the smell. Ive done single plant closet grows with no carbon filter that barely stunk at all.

Definitely look into a simple 1x1 tent setup, dont use that trashy space bucket lol


--------------------
* Die For Your Government *


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineFramedLink
Stranger
Registered: 11/24/14
Posts: 8
Last seen: 2 years, 7 days
Re: beginner questions. [Re: Zombi3]
    #759282 - 11/26/14 04:08 PM (2 years, 8 days ago)

Ok so 1x1 grow tent, a 1 powerful light bulb(something like this maybe:http://www.amazon.com/Full-Spectrum-Light-Bulb-Fluorescent/dp/B0019HZQPM/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1417035557&sr=1-1&pebp=1417035564709), a 1 fan that blows inward and a second that blow out with an optional carbon filter. Dose that about sums it up?
Also, why dose this: http://www.amazon.com/VenTech-IF4CF412-Inline-Virgin-Charcoal/dp/B004Q2ER5C/ref=sr_1_2?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1417035833&sr=1-2&keywords=carbon+filter take 65w?It's just a fan...
I know I'm getting annoying but I need to clear this up. And thank you guys for the help!


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleZombi3
Greenhouse Technician
Male User Gallery


Registered: 01/15/13
Posts: 1,222
Loc: Bat Country Flag
Re: beginner questions. [Re: FramedLink]
    #759295 - 11/26/14 04:23 PM (2 years, 8 days ago)

Yes that carbon filter +fan and that light is perfect for a 1x1 tent!! Though I would do minimum 2-3 of those lights myself.

The reason that fan takes 65w is because it takes a lot of power to be able to pull air through that filter and still provide adequate airflow through the tent.
You will set your tent up so that fan is blowing air out of the tent through the filter. This creates negative pressure on the tent so no smell escapes anywhere except through the filter. A lot of people supply intake of fresh air passively, so just leave a bottom vent open.
That fan is rated at 190 CFM so it can remove 190 cubic feet of air per minute, a 1x1x6 tent has 6 cubic feet of air inside LOL, so that fan will exchange the air in the tent completely quite fucking often which is a good thing :thumbup:
But I would recomend getting a speed controller for the fan because you really dont need to run it at full speed in a 1x1.


--------------------
* Die For Your Government *


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineFramedLink
Stranger
Registered: 11/24/14
Posts: 8
Last seen: 2 years, 7 days
Re: beginner questions. [Re: Zombi3]
    #759323 - 11/26/14 05:34 PM (2 years, 8 days ago)

Ok thanks man, this is good starting info, now I have an idea of what I need and why I need it.
I'll probably make a new post when I'll get the tek. and the seeds. And hopefully I could become as self sufficient here as I am with shrooms...
And also thank you for discouraging me from burning my apartment...


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleZombi3
Greenhouse Technician
Male User Gallery


Registered: 01/15/13
Posts: 1,222
Loc: Bat Country Flag
Re: beginner questions. [Re: FramedLink]
    #759329 - 11/26/14 06:19 PM (2 years, 8 days ago)

Quote:

FramedLink said:
Ok thanks man, this is good starting info, now I have an idea of what I need and why I need it.
I'll probably make a new post when I'll get the tek. and the seeds. And hopefully I could become as self sufficient here as I am with shrooms...




Hey man im here to help! Same with others. Let us know when you get things rolling and we can provide you with more info!

Happy growing !


Quote:

FramedLink said:
And also thank you for discouraging me from burning my apartment...



Youre welcome! Growers burning down buildings gives the rest of a bad name. Plus, you could die.
Glad you took the advice :thumbup:


--------------------
* Die For Your Government *


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop for:   Amazon HPS, Hydroponics Supplies, Mylar Film, pH Test Strips   Original Seeds Store Feminized Seeds

Cannabis, Marijuana, Ganja & Greens >> Cannabis Cultivation

Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Some beginner questions!! mushrooms_elf 762 6 07/26/09 05:18 PM
by Dr. Penguin
* A couple of beginner questions God 1,669 12 09/29/08 03:07 PM
by God
* Beginner Questions Here Stoner 1,314 10 11/02/08 01:55 AM
by Dr. Penguin
* Some beginner questions? Lighter Of Doobies 358 0 07/26/11 11:14 PM
by Lighter Of Doobies
* The typical beginner seeks advice
( 1 2 all )
skullhuman 3,281 38 02/17/10 03:13 PM
by Stoneth
* Some questions from a newbie (medium to grow, lights, filtration etc) agoutihead 1,379 5 05/06/10 06:50 PM
by coda
* Some pre-beginner's questions (light, stressed hermies, EC, pruning, molasses, a.o.) sidetwist 1,022 5 04/17/12 03:10 AM
by Hawksresurrection
* beginner seeking advice AskWhy 973 14 05/19/13 10:28 AM
by AskWhy

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: FurrowedBrow, Magash, Dr. Siekadellyk, phychotron
1,897 topic views. 1 members, 160 guests and 31 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Toggle Favorite | Print Topic | Stats ]
Search this thread:
Vaposhop
Please support our sponsors.

Copyright 1997-2016 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.083 seconds spending 0.003 seconds on 14 queries.