Home | Community | Message Board

Royal Queen Seeds Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleZombi3
Greenhouse Technician
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bat Country Flag
Who has used MH conversion bulbs?
    #752345 - 10/12/14 12:36 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

With my current grow coming to a finish I was out shopping for lights today and was recomended by the guy at the hydro store I go with one of these MH conversion bulbs.

Its basically a MH light that is built to run in an HPS system, ballast and fitting and everything. It means I can continue using my HPS system without needing new parts to run the MH for vegetative.

So we talked for a while and he gave me a deal on a 600w SolarMax MH conversion bulb. The he tried explaning how bigger growers are now switching their light schedules to have more blue throughout the grow.

It would look something like this:
|Vegetative(MH, X number of weeks)|-|Flowering(MH, Weeks 1-2), Flowering(HPS, Weeks 3-6), Flowering(MH, Weeks 7-8)|

He says the nugs will get much much tighter and Ill save money on bulbs... But I have been growing for some years and never heard of using so much blue spectrum... Anyone else run a similar schedule???

--------------------
* Die For Your Government *

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Who has used MH conversion bulbs? [Re: Zombi3]
    #752360 - 10/12/14 01:46 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

I think he's full of crap. Plus when did buying three bulbs become less expensive then two?

:happyweed:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Offlinewebster10

Re: Who has used MH conversion bulbs? [Re: Magash]
    #752397 - 10/12/14 02:30 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

He buys one bulb I'm pretty sure, the MH and HPS conversion bulb...

But that light spectrum suggestion looks like complete bullshit. Why would you switch back to blue at the very end? Isn't that the time where the buds really pack on and signal the end of their life with a color spectrum similar to the autumn sun? Just doesn't make sense.

InvisibleZombi3
Greenhouse Technician
Male User Gallery

Re: Who has used MH conversion bulbs? [Re: webster10]
    #752408 - 10/12/14 02:40 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

I had never heard of switching back to blue spectrum either...
Someone else told me the plants will benefit from having blue spectrum in the first two weeks of flower because the light spectrum change and the photoperiod change both stress the plants to a degree. By switching photoperiod but leaving the blue spectrum MH in for 2 weeks you should get tighter buds and faster growth due to less stress. I havent read into this yet however.

And I have 2 bulbs. I have a 600w MH conversion bulk which is a MH but runs in a HPS ballast/fixture. My second bulb is a 600w HPS.

So I can run the MH conversion in veg, then switch the HPS in for flower without needing 2 fixtures or 2 ballasts.

--------------------

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #752412 - 10/12/14 02:47 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

I know the conversion bulbs. For years they didn't have 600watt mh bulbs so you had to buy the conversion. I currently run a solarmax in veg and am very happy with the results.

I've heard that stress thing before too and think it's a load of crap. Why the hell would the plant go into stress doing a process that is natural to it and that it's been doing for millions of years.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

InvisibleZombi3
Greenhouse Technician
Male User Gallery

#752415 - 10/12/14 02:52 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Magash said:
I've heard that stress thing before too and think it's a load of crap. Why the hell would the plant go into stress doing a process that is natural to it and that it's been doing for millions of years.

Thats true. But just because it wouldnt have blue spectrum naturally, and even though it may not actually go through stress at that time, it may actually help keep plants tight during the first few weeks when plants stretch. It would be interesting to see a few side by side grows.

--------------------

InvisibleStonethM
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Male User Gallery

Loc: No where ville, USA Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #752421 - 10/12/14 02:55 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Running MH at he beginning of flower will reduce stretch in the transition period of the plants.  Basically keeping the plants shorter.

Whiching back at the end will reduce yield, but tends to increase resin production.  I've known growers who grow for themselves that only use MH for the resin production alone.  They aren't worried about over all yield.

--------------------
:getstoned:

InvisibleZombi3
Greenhouse Technician
Male User Gallery

Re: Who has used MH conversion bulbs? [Re: Stoneth]
    #752422 - 10/12/14 02:58 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Stoneth said:
Running MH at he beginning of flower will reduce stretch in the transition period of the plants.  Basically keeping the plants shorter

This is why i may give it a try.:thumbup:

Quote:

Stoneth said:
Whiching back at the end will reduce yield, but tends to increase resin production.

Is this because of the UV the MH emitts?

--------------------

InvisibleStonethM
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Male User Gallery

Loc: No where ville, USA Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #752435 - 10/12/14 03:15 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

I think that's the claim behind it.
Tho imo there are better ways to increase resin without losing the yield.
Like adding uv lights or leds to the HPS thru out the flowering period.

--------------------
:getstoned:

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Who has used MH conversion bulbs? [Re: Stoneth]
    #752440 - 10/12/14 03:25 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Stoneth said:
I think that's the claim behind it.
Tho imo there are better ways to increase resin without losing the yield.
Like adding uv lights or leds to the HPS thru out the flowering period.

I was just gonna say this and fully agree. In fact I have a friend in Vegas that hangs uv cfl lights threw his garden.

--------------------

InvisibleZombi3
Greenhouse Technician
Male User Gallery

#752443 - 10/12/14 03:29 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

I have a 300w LED with UV that I have running with my HPS throughout flowering

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds