Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Gold Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineTheUnknownPoet
Stranger

GrowCabinet Design Advice (Perpetual Harvest, should I have a mother or not?) [IKEA Cabinet?]
    #741553 - 07/27/14 07:23 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

So I'm looking to build a pretty big grow cabinet.

To maximise yeilds and minimise the amount of time it takes to produce, I've opted to go for a SOG DWC grow.

I want it to be a perpetual grow, and I have a limited amount of seeds, so I was thinking I could do the following:

This contains a few things.

The big Chamber with the MH/HPS light as the flowering chamber. Will flower 8 or so SOG short plants at a time, so they wont take long to grow and also give an even canopy. 5" net pots for this. The light will be air cooled with a 6" duct for up to 600 watts, or an 8 inch duct for a 1000 watter. (I currently have a 400 watter, but I will upgrade this as I get more funds)
Also not pictured due to my lazyness is a activated carbon scrubber, a small fan in each corner to blow around air, and an intake vent for fresh air.

Underneath it, you can see a vegitative chamber. It has ~140 watts in flourescent ligthing, (The cool blue) using 4 35 watt t5's.
they will be 3" net pots, and hold approximately 10-15 plants.

Up in the top lefthand corner you can see my cloning cmaber.
It will (At first) have 50 watts of fluorescent lighting (Although once i have the money I will get an LED for it)
It is an aeropaunics cloner with 30-60 clones at once.

At the top, you can see there is a few inches left for things like holding the ballast, the air pumps for all the hydropaunics, and the ducting for the lights, as well as temperature/humidity sensors. (I might hook up an arduino to a PPM/TDS meter, a temperature probe, and a
RH meter and probably other things once i have the money to make somehting like that, and hook it up to a nework or a logger of sorts so i can fine tune my parameters, as well as a smallish CO2 tank should I choose to use CO2)

Now i'm wondering if this setup is optimal. How much could I yeild, if there's any way to tell, per watt if i use this method? Do i have enough ligthing? Is there anything i'm missing?

AND LASTLY:
The box with the big question mark.
I was thining of using 100 watts CFL to keep a single, large mother in a 5 gallon DWC pot to get clones from.
HOWEVER, I was wondering if it would be possible to pull clones off my small vegitating plants instead, and skip keeping a mother, and just use that chamber to extend the vegitative and flowering chamber.

Let me know what's optimal in ths situation.

This also has to be relatively stealth, as in, lighproof and reasonably quiet (I dont mind fan noise, but if it sounds and looks like a glowing alien spaceship, we have a problem) I need to keep this in a garage like area with other storage cabinets around and not have it attract TOO much attention upon a slight glance.

Let me know if i'm missing anything, or if I should be doing something different with my ligts, etc.

EDIT: Would this be good for a grow cabinet? Surely I could insulate it and such, as I want it to be stealth. But I also want to keep it close, to make sure I have better time to take care of everything.
http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/30236030/

This one looks better, but.... It's not as wide...
http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/60222630/

Edited by TheUnknownPoet (07/29/14 01:29 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineTheUnknownPoet
Stranger

Re: GrowCabinet Design Advice (Perpetual Harvest, should I have a mother or not?) [Re: TheUnknownPoet]
    #741554 - 07/27/14 07:25 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

I read that having many small plants yields more and quicker than a few big plants in the same amount of time. Is this correct information?

Am I missing anything?

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: GrowCabinet Design Advice (Perpetual Harvest, should I have a mother or not?) [Re: TheUnknownPoet]
    #741558 - 07/27/14 08:44 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Yes many plants yields better

Quote:

I was thining of using 100 watts CFL to keep a single, large mother in a 5 gallon DWC pot to get clones from.
HOWEVER, I was wondering if it would be possible to pull clones off my small vegitating plants instead, and skip keeping a mother, and just use that chamber to extend the vegitative and flowering chamber.

You can do either way

The cutting chamber in the ones I came up with is based on this
Cutting chamber for cubes

:happyweed:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

OfflineTheUnknownPoet
Stranger

Re: GrowCabinet Design Advice (Perpetual Harvest, should I have a mother or not?) [Re: Magash]
    #741569 - 07/27/14 09:05 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

THanks, but i'm still looking for info on the mother. Should I keep one, or just take clones from my vegging area or something?

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #741596 - 07/27/14 11:53 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

TheUnknownPoet said:
THanks, but i'm still looking for info on the mother. Should I keep one, or just take clones from my vegging area or something?

I answered you. Either way will work. Keeping mothers will allow you to have back to back crops faster.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

OfflineTribalSeed
SoulJah

Loc: Babylon
Re: GrowCabinet Design Advice (Perpetual Harvest, should I have a mother or not?) [Re: Magash]
    #741719 - 07/27/14 11:29 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Magash said:
Quote:

TheUnknownPoet said:

I answered you. Either way will work. Keeping mothers will allow you to have back to back crops faster.

Would taking clones of the clones show decrease in vigor/etc. from the plants?

I always heard a mother from seeds produces heartier clones than clones from clones.

--------------------

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: GrowCabinet Design Advice (Perpetual Harvest, should I have a mother or not?) [Re: TribalSeed]
    #741723 - 07/28/14 03:08 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

I always heard a mother from seeds produces heartier clones than clones from clones.

Nah that's crap. I have mothers from seeds that were germinated 20 years ago (longer actually).

--------------------

OfflineTribalSeed
SoulJah

Loc: Babylon
    #741735 - 07/28/14 12:15 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Magash said:
Quote:

Nah that's crap. I have mothers from seeds that were germinated 20 years ago (longer actually).

Cool, thanks man.
I bet those moms are huge.

--------------------

OfflineTheUnknownPoet
Stranger

Re: GrowCabinet Design Advice (Perpetual Harvest, should I have a mother or not?) [Re: TribalSeed]
    #741750 - 07/28/14 12:52 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

How much light should I use to keep my mother alive?
Is a 150 watt CFL good?
For example, would this do good?
http://www.buylighting.com/150-Watt-Compact-Fluorescent-5000K-Full-Spectrum-p/fe-iiib-150w-50k.htm

I plan on keeping the mother in veg perpetually, of course.

Edited by TheUnknownPoet (07/28/14 01:04 PM)

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #741814 - 07/28/14 04:33 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

How much light is going to depend on how often and how many clones you need to take.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

OfflineMidgetpawn
 User Gallery

Re: GrowCabinet Design Advice (Perpetual Harvest, should I have a mother or not?) [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #741832 - 07/28/14 05:43 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

It almost seems like a lot of light is wasted with the larger CFL unless you angle them just right and have a reflector hood for the bulb, which you probably would with a 150w since it won't be a normal e26 screw in base. I recently noticed the GE 23 watt 1600 lumen 6500k CFL are much smaller than any other CFL of the same wattage and I personally think a bunch of those can focus more light on your plants per watt than a large cfl or even t5. Also would suck a lot more breaking a 150w compared to a 23w. just throwing that out there. A lot of speculation on my part.

I had also read that clones can lose vigor over time. I remembered it was from dinafem's Dinachem strain description where they talk about a chemdawg 91 clone. "It´s an elite clone isolated in 1991, in the East Coast of the USA. The clone is 21 years old and has lost a lot of vigor, leading to a declining production". I had a freebie dinachem fem and it wasn't viable =(

Goodluck with the cabinet!

OfflineTheUnknownPoet
Stranger

Re: GrowCabinet Design Advice (Perpetual Harvest, should I have a mother or not?) [Re: Midgetpawn]
    #741923 - 07/29/14 09:26 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

I was thinking of making this for the mother:

and having perhaps 250 or 150 for the mother.
If t5's truly are an issue, than i could also build one of these for the veg / cline chamber and use 250 watts for the veg chamber and 75 for the clone chamber. Would 75 watts for the clone chamber be good? They basically ust need to root and stay alive, they will be tiny tiny plants.
I was thinking of making this for the cloner:

Edited by TheUnknownPoet (07/29/14 09:29 AM)

OfflineMidgetpawn
 User Gallery

#741928 - 07/29/14 09:58 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

If you use t5 just make sure they are close enough or even adjustable height.

As a strong advocate of the taut line hitch knot, I suggest using a well knotted rope instead of chains =P

Edit add: For the cloner you could also make a cloner just like that, but instead of the jets use a big air stone that makes a fine mist of bubbles that break at the water surface and spray water around. they have big flexible air stone things that are round with an X in the center and make lots of bubbles. I just assume it's cheaper to do that and uses less power moving air than water.

Edited by Midgetpawn (07/29/14 10:22 AM)

OfflineTheUnknownPoet
Stranger

Re: GrowCabinet Design Advice (Perpetual Harvest, should I have a mother or not?) [Re: Midgetpawn]
    #742271 - 07/31/14 06:27 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Givin' her one more bump for any further input.

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #742320 - 07/31/14 01:52 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Instead of bumping for random input, you will get way more responses if you include specific questions and concerns dude.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom