Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMidgetpawn
 User Gallery

Best time to use STS?
    #739690 - 07/12/14 04:22 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Just wondering the best week after switching to 12/12 to use STS(silver thiosulfate solution) to reverse sex to male? preferably based on experience.

BTW I tried to use it on a 9 week strain at about 6 1/2 weeks into flowering and it didn't really work. I could see it was starting to reverse, but I think it was too far into flowering. Strangely the branch I sprayed it on ended up having the largest bud on the plant, and it was a lower smaller branch.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Best time to use STS? [Re: Midgetpawn]
    #739747 - 07/12/14 11:12 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Midgetpawn said:
Just wondering the best week after switching to 12/12 to use STS(silver thiosulfate solution) to reverse sex to male? preferably based on experience.

BTW I tried to use it on a 9 week strain at about 6 1/2 weeks into flowering and it didn't really work. I could see it was starting to reverse, but I think it was too far into flowering. Strangely the branch I sprayed it on ended up having the largest bud on the plant, and it was a lower smaller branch.

Try starting a week before you cut back your lights. I personally do two.

:happyweed:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

OfflineMidgetpawn
 User Gallery

Re: Best time to use STS? [Re: Magash]
    #739759 - 07/13/14 01:02 AM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Oh I didn't even think you could do it before switching to 12/12 for some reason. Good to know. TY

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #739760 - 07/13/14 01:09 AM (9 years, 9 months ago)

If you wait til flowering starts you are waiting till the female hormone is flowing threw the plant and that is what you are trying to prevent. :wink:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

OfflineMidgetpawn
 User Gallery

#739765 - 07/13/14 02:51 AM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Man I'm so far from grasping how STS or any sex reversing formula works. Does it still work when there are signs of female flowering? like only a few pistils? I'd read something about how it can help to do a 2nd STS application 2 weeks after the 1st.

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #739775 - 07/13/14 09:35 AM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Once I start using it I apply it every few days. I personaly think it's better to use it before the plant starts to have flowers. Yeah it will work but I don't think you can get to this doing it that way

This is a GDP that was turned

Here is one that was done just as the lights were turned back

Now you can do it when the plants start to flower and get female seeds but the chance of getting hermie seeds is higher. When I make my seeds I stress test my females with light, water, nutrients and try and make them turn hermie. The ones that don't turn hermie are used to make the female seeds.

I'll break it down for ya and make it easy to see how it works.

There is a hormone in the plants that tells them it's time to flower and this hormone is the same in males and females. Now what makes a female plant a female is that it has a additional hormone that tells the flower to form in the female form. Sometimes the plant can't make enough of this hormone and wa-la you have a hermie.

Now what STS and CS have in them is the silver and when applied the silver attaches itself to the hormone that tells the plant to form a female flower making it unusable by the plant. Since the plant is a female it hasn't got the male gene or chromosome so it can't form male pollen.  STS can be used on part of the plant and not the whole thing if you wish. That way the seeds can be completely done on one plant.

So why aren't these plants considered hermies? Cause they didn't form the male flower on their own or naturally they formed them cause of you adding chemicals. Hermie plants should never be used for making female plants. That is the reason I tell people not to get female seeds from Soma Seeds but their normal seeds are some of the best genetics out.

OfflineMidgetpawn
 User Gallery

#739842 - 07/13/14 02:40 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Nice. Thanks a lot man. Good info/pics

I'm personally trying to get pollen from females of strains that I don't have any more seeds of, didn't clone, and still want to smoke.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder