Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinejimmy_james
Stranger

Experimental outdoor winter soil grow - White Rhino bag seed - Australia
    #731979 - 05/18/14 06:21 AM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Hello hello.

I am based in Melbourne, Australia, and will be undertaking a simple soil grow in pots outdoor over winter of White Rhino bag seed. This will be my second grow after a fairly sub-standard first attempt over summer just gone.

I know most people will say it won't work, but I have a friend (you know who you are) who reckons it is definitely possible, even if it is a much smaller yield, and that he has done it successfully several times.

So, my reasons for this grow are two-fold:

1 - to get in some practise before I attack the next 'real' grow when next summer rolls around

2 - to have a go at a grow journal so I can learn more now and make less mistakes when I take on my summer grow

So, here are my three babies today (unfeminised), germed about two weeks ago and about 10cm/4 inches tall and just starting their third node excluding the cotyledons:

I potted them up today into larger pots (2 x 13 litre and 1 x 9 litre). Once they're well established (if they get that far over winter) I can pot them up from there.

The soil recipe I used is the following (numbers approximate):

- one third potting mix
- one third mushroom compost
- one sixth perlite
- one sixth sheep manure

I'm trying to keep it reasonably cheap. The mix looks pretty good, nice and dark. Have a gander - I'd love to know if the mix sounds ok. I tried plain potting mix in summer and the results were pretty average so I'm trying to step it up a notch.

I potted the boys/girls in the mix, chucked a few bamboo stakes around them and surrounded them with chicken wire to keep any inquisitive possums or whatever out of there while they get a bit stronger. Here's one:

And that's it. They will stay outside over winter now. With the warmer weather of late I'm hoping they can get up and going, building a decent root system before the weather drops into the single digits (celsius that is - I guess 40s in fahrenheit). When things do get very cold I will think about putting them in a greenhouse, or covering them with mulch to retain heat. It's all experimental at the moment so doesn't matter too much. I'm not trying to pull a pound a plant here!

So, any tips or thoughts from you guys would be awesome. I'll keep this updated along the journey. Hope some of you guys follow along and enjoy it.

Cheers :smile:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinejimmy_james
Stranger

Re: Experimental outdoor winter soil grow - White Rhino bag seed - Australia [Re: jimmy_james]
    #732902 - 05/25/14 05:27 AM (9 years, 9 months ago)

OK guys, here is my first update.

We've had a very mild start to winter so far (warmest in a billion years or something), but the last few days have had a little rain so I think my little 'uns have gotten a bit of water. There has also been a bit of a breeze which pushed them down a bit here and there.

I have numbered them for now, and 1 and 2 are looking a little worse for wear. Here are some pics:

Any ideas what might be wrong with them? Is it just maybe a case of being a bit beaten round by the weather?

Here is number 3, who despite a bizarre lean (looks like it's LSTing itself) is looking pretty healthy:

I haven't given them any nutes at this point. Once they hit a few more nodes I will give them a little Seasol and maybe some general fertilizer, and will look at a dose of nitrogen down the track when they are a little bigger and stronger.

Any input or encouragement will be very welcome.

Cheers all, and happy growing.

Offlinescrapske
Stranger

Re: Experimental outdoor winter soil grow - White Rhino bag seed - Australia [Re: jimmy_james]
    #732903 - 05/25/14 06:02 AM (9 years, 9 months ago)

:thumbup: mate

Offlinejimmy_james
Stranger

Re: Experimental outdoor winter soil grow - White Rhino bag seed - Australia [Re: scrapske]
    #733120 - 05/27/14 01:45 AM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Update time.

1 and 2 are looking even worse - more shrivelled - and 3 is a little worse for wear but not too bad. With the rain they have all gotten pretty soaked and the soil is drenched - can't be good for the little tackers.

I have moved the three of them into a greenhouse so they can dry out and avoid the upcoming forecast rain. At this point I would have to say I think 1 and 2 ain't gonna make it. 3 should be ok.

Maybe I will leave them in the greenhouse for a few weeks to recover and put on a little size before returning them to the outdoors. I might even chuck in a few more bagseeds to make up for the poor buggers that are in Struggle Town.

Anyone out there grow outdoors in rainy environments? How do you avoid overwatering for your plants? I've got perlite in the mix already but any other suggestions might be useful.

OfflineDoc
stoner
 User Gallery

Loc: New Caledonia
    #733141 - 05/27/14 10:20 AM (9 years, 9 months ago)

I would say keep them covered like you're already doing, and perhaps go straight into the soil, I have little outdoor experience but have killed plants in pots when they got rained on where as my plants in the ground survived because they didn't get water logged. I'll be following, good luck with the rains.

--------------------
No one is free when others are oppressed

Offlinejimmy_james
Stranger

Re: Experimental outdoor winter soil grow - White Rhino bag seed - Australia [Re: Doc]
    #734080 - 06/01/14 05:16 AM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks Doc, I think keeping them out of the weather is the best bet. I can't put them into the ground unfortunately, so I will keep them in a greenhouse.

At this point, numbers 1 and 2 are still looking pretty bad. Here is 1:

I would be very surprised if these two make it.

On the other hand is 3:

3 has picked up and is chugging along nicely.

They have all been in the greenhouse for the last week, out of the rain and avoiding the colder Melbourne temps. I will leave them here until they reach about a foot tall (or until 1 and 2 die) and then relocate them outside. Then the challenge will be getting them through the worst of a wet winter. But if it works and I get a female, I can reveg that puppy and pull a bundle off her next autumn :smile:

Does anyone have any tips for getting 1 and 2 back on track now they are looking so sick? I can write them off but if anyone has tips for resuscitating the little things I am all ears.

OfflineNorthern Lights
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: █████
    #734423 - 06/03/14 01:14 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Hmm number 3 does look like a nice candidate.

No strain name I take it ? just bag seed?

--------------------

Offlinejimmy_james
Stranger

Re: Experimental outdoor winter soil grow - White Rhino bag seed - Australia [Re: Northern Lights]
    #734584 - 06/04/14 08:00 AM (9 years, 9 months ago)

It's bagseed from some really nice White Rhino I smoked last year. If it packs the same punch as its mum did I will be pretty happy!

Offlinescrapske
Stranger

#734675 - 06/04/14 06:51 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

yeah i noticed bagseed germ rates can be pretty dodgy all dependin on seed quality i suppose

Offlinejimmy_james
Stranger

Re: Experimental outdoor winter soil grow - White Rhino bag seed - Australia [Re: scrapske]
    #735442 - 06/08/14 10:18 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

OK, another update.

1 and 2 are dead as a dog's dinner.

Here is 3:

I have started germing some extras to replace the two that have died. I've noticed germing seems to go a lot slower in winter, even though it's inside, just because the base temperature of the house is a few degrees lower.

3 is looking quite pretty, looking healthy with nice little leaves. I think there a quite a few nutes in the soil mix I put together so I won't be fertilising him/her for a good while yet. Maybe once 3 and my new ones get to about a foot tall I will move them outside and surround them with clear plastic to keep humidity and temps up. If one of these is a girl I will then look to reveg her in summer if everything goes to plan.

Oh yeah, I smoked a little of my grow from these seeds in summer, and two small puffs from the pipe had me nicely buzzed. I'm willing to bet if she's grown well this will produce a very good quality smoke :vaped:

Also, thanks to scrapske, Doc and Northern Lights for dropping in :cheers:

Offlinescrapske
Stranger

#735447 - 06/08/14 11:07 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

yea had a feelin #3 would pull through

goodluck with the short light hours here in oz

hope ya got yaself a female there:cool:

Offlinejimmy_james
Stranger

#737214 - 06/22/14 01:06 AM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Alright, here's the latest on my winter grow attempt.

3 is still going very strong. He/she is getting ok sun in the greenhouse and seems to be thriving, even if growth is a little slower than I might expect in summer.

I have two more to replace 1 and 2 who died a few weeks ago. These were germed indoors from the same batch of seeds and have now been planted in 9 litre (I think) pots with the same soil mix as 3. They are named Waxy and Lean.

At this point I am finding the experiment ok. We have had a mild winter here which has no doubt helped to keep temps up in the greenhouse, and at this stage it looks like at least the veg stage is possible throughout winter. As for flowering I can only guess what will happen from here.

Thanks to the guys who are following, I will keep you posted with my progress. Cheers :peace:

Offlinescrapske
Stranger

#737284 - 06/22/14 09:03 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

yeah id be interested to see how long they vege or if they will try quick flowering all depending on growth and genetics i suppose

goodluck man :thumbup::smile::growingweed:

Offlinejimmy_james
Stranger

#737317 - 06/23/14 01:39 AM (9 years, 9 months ago)

That's what I'm curious about. If they veg all the way through I'm gonna have monsters by April! :trees:

Offlinejimmy_james
Stranger

#738132 - 06/28/14 09:12 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

OK kiddos, something exciting to report at last. First with the boring news - Lean and Waxy are doing fine, growing slowly in the greenhouse.

Here's Lean:

And here's Waxy:

And onto a bit of a development ...

3 is chugging along very well as you can see here:

But if you look very closely I thiiiiink you can see that she's a girl, and that she's started to bud, right where the main top cola should grow from:

Can anyone confirm for me that that's what's happening here? If it is the start of a bud, I guess we start counting the days :tongue2:

The winter solstice was about nine days ago now so daylight hours are slowly increasing - very curious to see if she will flower on through or revert to veg as the light hours crawl up from 9/15 to 11/13.

Offlinescrapske
Stranger

#738134 - 06/28/14 09:21 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

its gotta grow to determine sex first i think

Offlinescrapske
Stranger

#738135 - 06/28/14 09:22 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

look closely and see if theres hairs or balls:thumbup:

Offlinejimmy_james
Stranger

#738137 - 06/28/14 09:24 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

I think there are hairs if you look closely at the bottom pic. They look exactly like the start of bud sites i.e. female. Maybe the image is not clear enough?

Can anyone out there confirm?

Offlinejimmy_james
Stranger

#739085 - 07/06/14 01:31 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

OK, well here's another update.

Lean and Waxy are going along ok - no major growth in the last week, but it's been cold out there and we're at one of the darker points in the year (light hours just starting to increase again). I have a feeling it will be too late for them to start flowering, so my guess is they willl veg into summer at this point.

As for 3, well, here it is:

Still looking quite healthy which is good. I think it's going along better than my plants last year, so that's a good sign as I am using this grow mainly as a prep for the summer season.

Back to my recent question though - does anyone think it is looking like a lady? These are looking like pistils to me:

Maybe I am still jumping the gun, but I don't recall seeing anything like this on my males last year.

Help  :um:

Offlinejimmy_james
Stranger

#739767 - 07/13/14 06:57 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

New update here ... I have had confirmation on no. 3 that she is indeed a lady - WOO HOO!

Here are some pics of the sexy little miss:

Given that I first noticed flowering two weeks ago, if she keeps on flowering all the way through I could be expecting a harvest around the very end of August (they took about 60 days to flower last time). I will keep you posted :smile:

In other news, the other two are going very slow but doing ok, and look what I noticed pop up in a random pot (I must have chucked a seed in there and forgotten about it):

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom