Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

MagicBag.co Shop: All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag, Contam-Resistant All-In-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Invisiblenight trainV
Male

Loc: Midwest, US
Congress Votes to De-fund DOJ Enforcement in Medical Marijuana States * 1
    #733649 - 05/30/14 08:33 AM (9 years, 10 months ago)

http://www.thedailychronic.net/2014/32759/congress-votes-to-de-fund-doj-enforcement-in-medical-marijuana-states/

WASHINGTON, DC — In an unprecedented 219-189 floor vote late last night, the House of Representatives approved the end of funding for Department of Justice (DOJ) enforcement in medical marijuana states.

Advocates are hailing the vote as a major victory that signals a shift in the approach Congress is taking on this issue. The vote was on Amendment No. 25 to the Commerce, Justice & Science (CJS) appropriations bill. One hundred seventy Democrats and 49 Republicans voted in favor of the amendment.

“This Congressional vote is a huge victory for patients,” said Steph Sherer, Executive Director of Americans for Safe Access. “No longer will we have to look over our shoulder and worry when the next raid or indictment will prevent us from safely and legally accessing our medicine,” continued Sherer. “This is a game-changer that paves the way for much more policy change to come.”

The Congressional vote last night comes as news has widely circulated about an ongoing federal prosecution, aggressively targeting patients in Washington State who were growing a modest amount of medical marijuana for their own personal use. However, the prosecution of the Kettle Falls 5, as they’ve become known, is now thrown into question. The DOJ has been seeking 10-year mandatory minimum to life sentences for each defendant.

In addition to ending all pending federal medical marijuana-related criminal prosecutions, advocates argue that current DOJ litigation against dispensary operators and their landlords, like that being waged in San Francisco, Oakland, and Berkeley, must end promptly.

Last night’s vote could also have a positive impact on defendants currently serving mandatory minimum sentences of up to 10 years in prison.

The CJS appropriations amendment was co-sponsored by 6 Republicans and 6 Democrats, including Representatives Dana Rohrabacher (R-CA), Sam Farr (D-CA), Don Young (R-AK), Earl Blumenauer (D-OR), Tom McClintock (R-CA), Steve Cohen (D-TN), Paul Broun (R-GA), Jared Polis (D-CO), Steve Stockman (R-TX), Barbara Lee (D-CA), Justin Amash (R-MI), and Dina Titus (D-NV). The Senate is expected to take up a similar measure this summer.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSham87
マリオ
Male

Re: Congress Votes to De-fund DOJ Enforcement in Medical Marijuana States [Re: night train] * 1
    #733651 - 05/30/14 08:42 AM (9 years, 10 months ago)

:highfive::highdog::prettyflyforawhiteguy::raisemyglass::datass::awedance:

--------------------
...once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right...

InvisibleMycophile
 User Gallery

Re: Congress Votes to De-fund DOJ Enforcement in Medical Marijuana States [Re: night train] * 1
    #733652 - 05/30/14 08:42 AM (9 years, 10 months ago)

Wow I didn't hear about the Kettle Falls 5 until now. Since when does anyone "manufacture" marijuana? They must have bought one of those leafly 3d printers that P-O posted :rofl:.

Seriously though, that charge makes no sense and I don't understand how it even exists.

Edited by Mycophile (05/30/14 08:42 AM)

InvisibleGBurger717
Let me be me! I luv me some me!
Male

Loc: USA, East of Mississippi Flag
Re: Congress Votes to De-fund DOJ Enforcement in Medical Marijuana States [Re: Mycophile] * 2
    #734133 - 06/01/14 06:28 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

nothing will change until its rescheduled!

--------------------
"If only one party supports a bill, it's probably not a very good bill. If both parties support it, you can be sure that however good it seems on the surface, under the covers it's worse than you could possibly imagine" - Me myself and I 08-02-12

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty - Jefferson

The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - Jefferson

Jump to top Pages: 1

MagicBag.co Shop: All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag, Contam-Resistant All-In-One Grow Bags