Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleMr. Wilson
purty-weiner-dog

Fimming, supercropping, and topping.
    #722546 - 03/21/14 08:23 PM (10 years, 10 days ago)

how do yall get down

I personally like the Fim

I get 3-4 main beams on the first cut

me thinks I might do it twice this year

but im interested in hearing more about the supercropping technique

that is bending/breaking branches

I really likes me a big ole round shrub

--------------------
bit of last year's bounty

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Fimming, supercropping, and topping. [Re: Mr. Wilson]
    #722548 - 03/21/14 08:46 PM (10 years, 10 days ago)

I think FIM is a waste of time and effort.  You can get just as good of results from LST and topping.  If not better more consistent results.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

InvisibleMr. Wilson
purty-weiner-dog

Re: Fimming, supercropping, and topping. [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #722552 - 03/21/14 09:12 PM (10 years, 10 days ago)

never done any low stress training

ive topped before though and it takes FOREVER for em to bounce back and only get two beams out of it meaning I have to do it again

ive done it both ways

I like the FIM

I just never done it twice to the same plant before

and supercropping really interests me cause I think a man would get bout the same kind of results as the Fim but with a faster recovery time

I could be wrong though I do have a tendency to think too much:grin:

--------------------

Edited by Mr. Wilson (03/21/14 09:20 PM)

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #722554 - 03/21/14 09:45 PM (10 years, 10 days ago)

Sounds like you need to LST then.  And it really doesn't take any more time for recovery to top than to FIM.

--------------------

-niteowl

InvisibleCrushNazT
Male

Loc: Colorado Flag
Re: Fimming, supercropping, and topping. [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #722611 - 03/22/14 10:21 AM (10 years, 9 days ago)

Quote:

hawksapprentice said:
I think FIM is a waste of time and effort.  You can get just as good of results from LST and topping.  If not better more consistent results.

^^^ yup

what i've done recently is top the plants at the 4th set of branches, node?, whatever you call it, and usually get rid of the very bottom branches. then when those 2 top branches shoot up, i top them after the first set of branches, so they each grow out into another Y. i do it at the first set of branches with the idea that the plant will be stronger that way rather than growing it out more.

i did this with my mk ultra mom, then took clones from the main growing shoots, which made it bush up even more. it's a nice big plant with lots of bud sites. but it starting throwing male flowers recently... so, yea...

Edit: im doin my wake and bake before work, i hope this post made sense...

Edited by CrushNazT (03/22/14 10:25 AM)

InvisibleMr. Wilson
purty-weiner-dog

Re: Fimming, supercropping, and topping. [Re: CrushNazT]
    #722637 - 03/22/14 11:10 AM (10 years, 9 days ago)

aye

top it twice ehh??

that's how the guy that showed me how to do it does it

last year (Fim)I had a nice un but it had about 6 little wispy nothing branches around the bottom with a lot of what I heard called "larf"

little buds that wasn't worth anything

but it had three big sumbitchin trunks coming up out of all that mess

I think that plant woulda done a lot better if I topped it right the first time

she was 8'x6'

--------------------

Edited by Mr. Wilson (03/22/14 11:11 AM)

Offline13buds
Trichome Farmer
 User Gallery

Loc: IN ETHERS TORSION FIELD
    #724466 - 04/03/14 09:42 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

man once I learned how to LST and then topping to branch out into a horizontal bush and tie the branches down during veg then scrog during flower you get a huge plant and tons of tops/buds :yesnod:

combo with dwc hydro and :ganja:

hygrohybrid has vids on youtube that made my year :baaaam:

--------------------
:takingnotes:A M U:helpdesk:
:growingweed::growingweed::growingweed:1:growingweed:3:growingweed:B:farmerdance:U:growingweed:D:growingweed:S:growingweed::growingweed::growingweed:

InvisibleP-O

Re: Fimming, supercropping, and topping. [Re: 13buds]
    #724469 - 04/03/14 10:18 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

I LST my girls over a week ago, and holy shit does it make them bush out.  all the side shoots are growin like mad.  I can see how this is gonna be beneficial in flower :thumbup:

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Fimming, supercropping, and topping. [Re: P-O]
    #724532 - 04/04/14 05:45 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

I'm not convinced that it helps yield at all. The plant can only produce so much biomass in a given time frame, splitting the apical meristem into multiple tops really does nothing to increase the total biomass production, rather it simply redistributes it. If anything it just makes it harder on you because instead of a single donkey dick nug on the top you have to trim 2-4 smaller ones. :shrug:

--------------------

Offline13buds
Trichome Farmer
 User Gallery

Re: Fimming, supercropping, and topping. [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #724536 - 04/04/14 06:56 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Harry_Ba11sach said:
I'm not convinced that it helps yield at all. The plant can only produce so much biomass in a given time frame, splitting the apical meristem into multiple tops really does nothing to increase the total biomass production, rather it simply redistributes it. If anything it just makes it harder on you because instead of a single donkey dick nug on the top you have to trim 2-4 smaller ones. :shrug:

watch hygrohybrids vids on youtube, yield is increased hugely, I have more than tripled my yields by doing so..  and if you do it right your getting 50 top buds not 3 or 4. :smirk:

if you combo supercropping/LST and a big root system you get your max yields due to surface area alone let alone all the horizontal shoots that turn to top buds..  I love my 4'x4' scrog net :evil2:

ive seen it first hand and Im convinced it works..  but Im fairly noobish..  :shrug:

--------------------
:growingweed::growingweed::growingweed:1:growingweed:3:growingweed:B:farmerdance:U:growingweed:D:growingweed:S:growingweed::growingweed::growingweed:

Edited by 13buds (04/04/14 07:16 AM)

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #724557 - 04/04/14 12:44 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

I've also increased yields doing this.  Especially growing indoors.  By LST and topping you can create a nice even canopy, thereby utilizing all available light much more efficiently.  Now I have had strains that have not reacted well to topping.  But not a single one that hasn't benefited from LST.

--------------------

-niteowl

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #724953 - 04/07/14 11:16 AM (9 years, 11 months ago)

I don't doubt yields are increased a BIT, but saying triple or quadruple is hilarious. As you said, Hawk, creating a more even top canopy in order to maximize light density across more foliage is where the increase comes from, but since there are very adamant genetic regulators to the rate of cell division within the plant, you can only create so much biomass in a unit of time. If you have a plant with a genetic potential for a 2oz top bud and you top it, I will absolutely guarantee you won't get two top buds weighing 2oz each. With mulitple fims and tops you'll end up with 10 top buds, but I promise they won't be even 1/2oz each, it's just not in the genetic potential of the plant. This is me speaking from both experience and simple laws of botany.

Quote:

13buds said:

watch hygrohybrids vids on youtube, yield is increased hugely, I have more than tripled my yields by doing so..  and if you do it right your getting 50 top buds not 3 or 4. :smirk:

if you combo supercropping/LST and a big root system you get your max yields due to surface area alone let alone all the horizontal shoots that turn to top buds..  I love my 4'x4' scrog net :evil2:

ive seen it first hand and Im convinced it works..  but Im fairly noobish..  :shrug:

I'm not fairly noobish, so let me assure you that you've simply drank the kool-aid on his cult. Some training and topping is nice to keep your canopy even and your grow room tidy (as Hawk said) and it WILL increase your yields a little. However, saying 50 top buds giving you triple the yield is pretty silly. You'll see some increase sure, but you also have to ask if it's worth it in the long run. You'll spend an extra 2-4 weeks in veg waiting for them to bounce back from the stress of topping, bending branches and training them to fill the screen, trimming the lower leaves and waiting for them to grow sideways. Then once you harvest, instead of 1-2 main colas on your plant you have 50. You know what really triples then? The amount of time it takes to trim your harvest, cut the buds off the stems, and then cure it.

--------------------

Offline13buds
Trichome Farmer
 User Gallery

Re: Fimming, supercropping, and topping. [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #725044 - 04/07/14 09:30 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

whos in a hurry :shrug:

I only grow 1 plant and just having 1 main cola doesnt yield near as mush as supercropping, I didnt just drink the koolaid Im doing it and the diff in yield on 1 plant is huge and I dont care how long it takes to cut/dry/cure cus its just for me and Im not in any hurry nor am I a factory that needs to pump out product :smirk:

Im not trying to make anyone switch methods or anything but simply sharing how much that method has helped me get what I expect from a single plant versus many plants which I have done and I personally didnt like the results. :shrug2:

youre skeptical, thats fine but you dont have to be a buzz kill about it, what works for you works for you. :super:

:ganja:

--------------------

Offlinehamloaf
Biometric Precursor.

Loc: Back in the USSR. Flag
    #725045 - 04/07/14 09:42 PM (9 years, 11 months ago)

I want some kool-aid now.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds