Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleP-O

Meet CUPID: The Drone That Will Shoot You With an 80,000 Volt Taser
    #720760 - 03/11/14 11:06 AM (10 years, 20 days ago)

Quote:

Are drones not scary enough for you yet? How about this? A drone helicopter that spots you and identifies you as an intruder. It tells you to stop and put your hands behind your head. Instead, you keep coming. The drone then shoots you with barbed Taser darts that pump 80,000 volts into you. If you try to get up, it will continue pumping voltage into you until you submit and the authorities arrive.

This isn't some dystopian theory. It's very real already, and I just saw it in action. Yes, it is terrifying.

At Chaotic Moon in Austin, Texas, amazing things are being made. It's a bleeding-edge design and development firm that has created apps, games, systems, and websites for the likes of GM, Chevrolet, Fox, Pixar, Marvel, American Idol, Intel, The Daily, and Whole Foods to name just a few. But when they're not doing that, they're trying crazy stuff.

CUPID, which stands for Chaotic Unmanned Personal Intercept Drone, is meant to be a conversation-starter. As of now, there are no plans to sell it or release it (at least not that they would disclose). It's more to get us talking about what these machines are capable of, and what we want to do about it.

The drone is already capable of being fully autonomous, but due to legal reasons—not technological limitations—it had to be manually piloted for the demo I attended. In real life, it could work like this:

Someone comes onto your property, which trips your home's outdoor motion detectors.
CUPID wakes up on its perch, activates, and flies over to get a visual of the person. At the same time, it alerts you via a smartphone app that something is up.
Once it finds the intruder, it uses an onboard camera (currently a GoPro Hero 3) to transmit the intruder's image to you. If you're like, "Oh, that's just Aunt Helen," or it's a deer or something, you press a button on your phone and it goes back to its perch.
However, if it is an intruder, you press the Intercept button, and it warns them that they need to turn around and walk away. It also has two-way audio communication, so you can tell them yourself if you want. If they start walking away from your property, CUPID will leave them alone.
But if they keep on coming, CUPID will shoot them with barbed Taser darts and zap them with a very incapacitating 80,000 volts of electricity straight to the nipples (or where ever the darts hit you). At the same time, it alerts the authorities. If you try to get away before the cops come, it will keep zapping you. Yes, it really works. They tried it on one of their employees this morning. (He's fine.)

For those interested in the technical nitty-gritty, here are a handful of CUPID's specs:

Hexacopter with folding frame ­
Remote Controlled Taser
Six 17-inch carbon fiber blades
40amp speed controller
GPS flight controller
Two 3 cell 6400mAh batteries ­
GoPro Hero3
RC FPV Vision System goggles ­
Knight Rider Style lights
Two tentacles

According to Chaotic Moon, CUPID is just the beginning of what they're doing with drones. They are currently working on an EMP Drone, which is essentially to stop paparazzi drones from spying on people. The EMP Drone would fly close to the intruding drone (within about six feet) and blast an electromagnetic pulse that flies the offending drone's circuits and knocks it out of the sky. The EMP Drone would have a faraday cage, so it would be impervious to its own blast. It would also have a downward-facing camera, so if it sees a person or a car beneath the drone, it wouldn't release the pulse, so drones aren't falling on people's heads.
They're also working on an Oil & Gas Drone for remotely inspecting gas pipelines for environmental hazards such as leaks. How would it do that? It's outfitted with a FLIR thermal camera. Pretty sweet.
Anyway, it certainly raises a lot of questions, and we hope you'll pose and argue some of them in the discussion below.

Thoughts? Comments?

Edited by P-O (03/11/14 11:12 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleP-O

Re: Meet CUPID: The Drone That Will Shoot You With an 80,000 Volt Taser [Re: P-O]
    #720761 - 03/11/14 11:16 AM (10 years, 20 days ago)

Seems like dangerous technology to me.  this is just a first generation drone.  Wait in 5-10 yrs. 

Im sure it wouldn't be impossible for a hacker to gain control....

could be the start of...

:crazy:

Invisibleniteowl
GrandPaw
Male User Gallery

Re: Meet CUPID: The Drone That Will Shoot You With an 80,000 Volt Taser [Re: P-O]
    #720928 - 03/11/14 10:54 PM (10 years, 19 days ago)

:uhoh:

:runaway:

--------------------
The Ego is a pathological condition
like a calcareous tumor or cyst
that begins growing in the personality
in the absence of hallucinogenic substances
-Terence McKenna-

OfflineShroomism
Male User Gallery

#720940 - 03/12/14 01:13 AM (10 years, 19 days ago)

What in the actual fuck :shocked:

Next they will be putting M4s on it

InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

Loc: Southwestern US Flag
Re: Meet CUPID: The Drone That Will Shoot You With an 80,000 Volt Taser [Re: Shroomism]
    #721297 - 03/13/14 09:14 PM (10 years, 17 days ago)

I'll be honest...this scares the crap out of me.

Its pretty sad that the first place we usually go with new technology is weapons systems. I would much rather use these things for package delivery, or taking cool aerial photos, something that would make things better rather than blow things up...:2cents:

--------------------
“The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you” -NDT

OfflineSham87
マリオ
Male

Re: Meet CUPID: The Drone That Will Shoot You With an 80,000 Volt Taser [Re: Data]
    #721298 - 03/13/14 09:18 PM (10 years, 17 days ago)

How about a drone that drops off food and clothing to homeless people?

Ooo I know! What about a drone that rolls your joints! :lol:

--------------------
...once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right...

InvisibleDeadkndys420
 User Gallery

Loc: █████
    #721299 - 03/13/14 09:24 PM (10 years, 17 days ago)

Rubber suit problem solved.

:likeaboss:

InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

Re: Meet CUPID: The Drone That Will Shoot You With an 80,000 Volt Taser [Re: Sham87] * 1
    #721300 - 03/13/14 09:28 PM (10 years, 17 days ago)

Quote:

Sham87 said:

One of these days...I'm gonna have me one of these...and give it mechanical lungs with THC sensors. It will roll me a joint, light it up, and smoke with me. The THC sensors will signal for it to reduce the refresh rate of its error-checking function, and then it'll just break all of my nice glass pieces... :bored:

Then I'll use my death drone to murder it with an EM pulse...stupid noob smoker drone...

--------------------

InvisibleP-O

Re: Meet CUPID: The Drone That Will Shoot You With an 80,000 Volt Taser [Re: Data]
    #721302 - 03/13/14 09:45 PM (10 years, 17 days ago)

Quote:

How about a drone that drops off food and clothing to homeless people?

:thumbup: :thumbup:

OfflineKing Koopa
Natty
 User Gallery

#721306 - 03/13/14 11:23 PM (10 years, 17 days ago)

Quote:

agmotes165 said:
Quote:

Sham87 said:

One of these days...I'm gonna have me one of these...and give it mechanical lungs with THC sensors. It will roll me a joint, light it up, and smoke with me. The THC sensors will signal for it to reduce the refresh rate of its error-checking function, and then it'll just break all of my nice glass pieces... :bored:

Then I'll use my death drone to murder it with an EM pulse...stupid noob smoker drone...

Dood. Youre a funny muhfugger, you know that?

--------------------
Alcoholics Anonymous is a fellowship of men and women who share their experience, strength and hope with each other that they may solve their common problem and help others to recover from alcoholism.

The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking. There are no dues or fees for A.A. membership; we are self-supporting through our own contributions. A.A. is not allied with any sect, denomination, politics, organization or institution; does not wish to engage in any controversy; neither endorses nor opposes any causes. Our primary purpose is to stay sober and help other alcoholics to achieve sobriety.

InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

Re: Meet CUPID: The Drone That Will Shoot You With an 80,000 Volt Taser [Re: King Koopa]
    #721315 - 03/14/14 06:21 AM (10 years, 17 days ago)

:highfive:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains