Home | Community | Message Board

Royal Queen Seeds Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineBluntguY 207
That Guy
 User Gallery

Loc: North East Coast Flag
plastic pots or fabric pots???
    #716447 - 02/20/14 04:40 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Looking for some input on what all you guys use for pots indoor,  I have used fabric pots for my outdoor with good results.  Using them currently for my indoor but not sure if I like them.  They say fabric have better heat dissipation but in  my controled indoor setup I dont think it is an issue, possibly causi g harm cause my canopy temp is 77 and my root zone feels cool to the touch(outside of bag? and watering is a pain in the ass in the bags! 

Oh yeah I currently use 20 gallon bags.  Probaly going to switch ro the 15's
Just seeing what all you master growers use and what works for you! Thanks

--------------------
"Self sufficient medical marijuana patient"

"I should be sponsered by Swisher Sweets":gethigh:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: plastic pots or fabric pots??? [Re: BluntguY 207]
    #716455 - 02/20/14 05:20 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

I use big rubbermaid totes.  They work great, are cheap, and easily cleaned and sanitized in between grows.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

InvisibleDrGreenThumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: Phish Tour Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: plastic pots or fabric pots??? [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #716492 - 02/20/14 09:10 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

You can get trees to grow in a 5 gallon bucket. I never really saw the point in bigger pots indoors personally. I've had a plant vegging for 10 months as a mother in a 5 gallon bucket. By the time it was that old it was impractical to flower because of size.

Bigger pots don't always equal bigger plants. I believe that a good start in the early stages of veg. determines final plant size.

From the expense point of things, you can grow a plant bigger in the same amount of time with a 5 gallon bucket than you can with a 15 gallon, while using 1/3 the dirt. I don't know if you keep track of your expenses, but dirt is one of my biggest.

Most people can't get their lights hung above 8ft. and you can grow all of that and then some in a 5 gal.

--------------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” -Dr. Seuss

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: plastic pots or fabric pots??? [Re: DrGreenThumb] * 1
    #716504 - 02/20/14 10:34 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

I use 50 gallon totes, 2 plants per container.  Sure you can get a big ass plant in a 5 gallon container, but it's going to be root bound like a mother fucker. 

I also get 1.5-2 lbs per 1000 watt light with my method of growing.  But strain can effect a lot of that as well.

And I don't really care about the expense part.  Weed makes me a lot of money.

--------------------

-niteowl

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: plastic pots or fabric pots??? [Re: Hawksresurrection] * 3
    #716510 - 02/20/14 10:53 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

DrGreenThumb said:

Bigger pots don't always equal bigger plants. I believe that a good start in the early stages of veg. determines final plant size.

Sorry Doctor, cause I like ya, but that's dumb and wrong. Nutrient uptake and overall plant health is absolutely a direct function of root mass.

Quote:

hawksapprentice said:
I use 50 gallon totes, 2 plants per container.  Sure you can get a big ass plant in a 5 gallon container, but it's going to be root bound like a mother fucker. 

I also get 1.5-2 lbs per 1000 watt light with my method of growing.  But strain can effect a lot of that as well.

And I don't really care about the expense part.  Weed makes me a lot of money.

I'm liking that idea....do you grow coco or soil?  I'm getting super sick of watering each plant individually and that's only 6 of them. I would love to have 4-6 plants in only 2-3 containers.

Also what strain do you get 2lbs/light from?

--------------------

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: plastic pots or fabric pots??? [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #716517 - 02/20/14 11:03 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Jack Herrer is the strain that has been giving me 2 lbs per 1000. 

I just run FFOF in them.  I built a raised platform out of 2x4's and plywood, put a 32 gallon garbage can on it.  Drilled fitting in it, and ran hoses to each container.  Now watering is a breeze.  I just fill it up with nutrients and water, then turn the valve :cookiemonster:

--------------------

-niteowl

OfflineTribalSeed
SoulJah

Loc: Babylon
Re: plastic pots or fabric pots??? [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #716521 - 02/20/14 11:07 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

hawksapprentice said:
Jack Herrer is the strain that has been giving me 2 lbs per 1000. 

I just run FFOF in them.  I built a raised platform out of 2x4's and plywood, put a 32 gallon garbage can on it.  Drilled fitting in it, and ran hoses to each container.  Now watering is a breeze.  I just fill it up with nutrients and water, then turn the valve :cookiemonster:

:baaaam:
Nice hawk! Sounds like a dream. Awesome Idea man, inspiration is a knockin.

--------------------

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: plastic pots or fabric pots??? [Re: Hawksresurrection] * 1
    #716566 - 02/21/14 06:41 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

I was thinking of doing something along those lines as well. I was most likely going to do more of a 6-8 gallon container with a ball valve. Nice work!

--------------------

InvisibleDrGreenThumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: Phish Tour Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: plastic pots or fabric pots??? [Re: Harry_Ba11sach] * 3
    #716626 - 02/21/14 01:24 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Harry_Ba11sach said:
Quote:

DrGreenThumb said:

Sorry Doctor, cause I like ya, but that's dumb and wrong. Nutrient uptake and overall plant health is absolutely a direct function of root mass.

No need for name calling Harry.

From personal experience and real world testing over the course of a year, I am neither dumb or wrong. Nor should I be called such, as I'm not just rebounding info I've read elsewhere, but actually took the time and effort to find out for myself.

I just see things the other way around. The way I see it, "Root Mass directly effects nutrient uptake and overall plant health."

2 years prior I was trying to justify switching to 15 gallon pots to increase yield just like I've read everywhere. So I ran a side-by-side test over 3 different strains. 4 of the most similar looking clones of 3 strains were selected, for a total of 12 plants. 2 of each strain were planted in 5 gallon buckets and 2 in 15 gallon nursery containers. All were vegged for 4 weeks in their respective containers and the lights were flipped. The RESULT: All the 5 gallon buckets produced more bud than their 15 gallon counterpart, with the exception of 1.

So I was puzzled. And the experiment continued. Thinking I may have inadvertently skewed the results, I ran it again. This time with 4 different strains. 4 of the most similar looking clones from each strain were picked by my girlfriend and planted for a total of 16. Vegged 4 weeks and flowered. This time only 2 of 8, 15 gallon pots had a better yield. Only 25% of the time.

On top of that, the 15 gallon containers took up to a week longer to finish, most of the time. Interesting.

Armed with this information in the springtime, I went back to work and asked the boss if we could run a variable size pot side-by-side with the greenhouse tomatoes and green peppers. The clones came in that spring and we selected 40 the most similar looking clones from each shipment. 20 of each were put in 5-gallon buckets and 20 in 15-gallon nursery containers. All have the hand-mixed super special greenhouse soil composition. All fed from the greenhouse water supply from a drip feed system over the course of the year.

This "control batch" was put in a separate section of one of the 7 greenhouses so that when we harvested over the season we could evaluate it independently from the rest of the greenhouses. (This is just a small part of the total grown at this farm so doing the test wasn't much trouble at all)

Over the growing season that year, guess which plants produced more produce? You guessed it the 5-gallon buckets. Weighing wasn't really necessary as the results were clearly visible as soon as you walked into the two test sections. There were a few exceptions as always but the 5-gallon buckets produced more, 80% of the time for the tomatoes and 75% of the time for the green peppers.

We came to the conclusion that, "Root Mass directly effects nutrient uptake and overall plant health." Since the 5 gallon buckets had a larger "root mass" (compared to their container mass) when they started to produce fruit, they were more effective in up-taking the nutrients they were fed in the irrigation water. Given that the nutrient concentration remained constant.

Additionally, less of the irrigation water was evaporating off the surface of the soil or sitting in the soil without being in contact with the roots. Which translates to a more efficient plant overall. When an indoor (or greenhouse) plant fills out it's root zone, less of the energy goes into filling out the container and growth is directed upward where you want it, at the buds.

"Root bound" is way overused in the growing community. It takes a whole hell of a lot for a plant to get "root bound" in a 5 gallon bucket. By the time it was "root bound" it would be a hell of a lot bigger then you'd ever want it for flowering indoors.

While back at the farm, the tomatoes grow taller than any human being on a commercial scale in 3-gallon nursery pots.

Meanwhile back at the homestead, the experiment continued for two more grow cycles and lasted over a year in total. The results were always the same. The 5-gallon buckets produced more bud 75% of the time.

So now I use 1/3 of the dirt of that I would have otherwise used. That's a savings of 66% on dirt costs. Not only that but I get MORE bud in LESS time.

Say you have 20 plants in 5 gal buckets(100 gallons of soil) or 15-gallon buckets(300 gallons of soil). Not only does my back and neck feel the difference after planting them, but now you're talking time spent mixing dirt, cost of dirt, hauling more water AND using more nutrients ($$$) for that water.

These are REAL WORLD results that I witnessed with my own two eyes throughout extensive testing. As opposed to just believing everything I read on the inter-webz. How it translates into "dumb" or "wrong" is beyond me. One things for sure though; you can always come to the Growery's Cultivation forums for some harsh criticism.

--------------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” -Dr. Seuss

OfflineBluntguY 207
That Guy
 User Gallery

Re: plastic pots or fabric pots??? [Re: DrGreenThumb]
    #716737 - 02/21/14 06:17 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Sounds legit dr. Green thumb!  I thank everyone for there input and Im deff going to do some experimenting of my own.  Those 15 gallin pots are a pain in the ass to maneuver and take up a lot of space!

--------------------

Invisibledrawde
    #717130 - 02/23/14 04:47 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Sounds like you really did your homework on this one :thumbup:

--------------------
King Koopa said:
The amount of pot that Gask smokes is equivalent to a guy shooting heroin on weekends

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: plastic pots or fabric pots??? [Re: DrGreenThumb] * 2
    #717133 - 02/23/14 05:23 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

DrGreenThumb said:

No need for name calling Harry.

From personal experience and real world testing over the course of a year, I am neither dumb or wrong. Nor should I be called such, as I'm not just rebounding info I've read elsewhere, but actually took the time and effort to find out for myself.

Now now, there was no name calling (I hope I don't need to review what that is), nor did I call YOU dumb. I'm simply saying your findings (while seemingly valid) fly directly in the face of a hundred years of botany research. Not things random stoners say on the internet (seriously, don't trust anything you read on rollitup), but actual, legitimate peer reviewed botany.  I don't doubt the tests you mention actually occurred, but I doubt that they were perfectly administered and controlled, and there must have been undiagnosed extraneous factors affecting the outcome.  If nothing else, your results are site specific, and not a rule of thumb for all indoor gardeners, but rather unique results tailored to your specific growing environment and unrepeatable under controlled conditions.

--------------------

OfflineBluntguY 207
That Guy
 User Gallery

Re: plastic pots or fabric pots??? [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #717170 - 02/23/14 08:43 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Very true harry. Thats why I was asking and starting to think against EVERYTHING ive ever read.... bigger pot more roots bigger plants.
:shrug:

--------------------

Invisiblefortheloveofnature
noob

#717280 - 02/24/14 01:15 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

DrGreenThumb said:
Quote:

Harry_Ba11sach said:
Quote:

DrGreenThumb said:

Over the growing season that year, guess which plants produced more produce? You guessed it the 5-gallon buckets. Weighing wasn't really necessary as the results were clearly visible as soon as you walked into the two test sections. There were a few exceptions as always but the 5-gallon buckets produced more, 80% of the time for the tomatoes and 75% of the time for the green peppers.

We came to the conclusion that, "Root Mass directly effects nutrient uptake and overall plant health." Since the 5 gallon buckets had a larger "root mass" (compared to their container mass) when they started to produce fruit, they were more effective in up-taking the nutrients they were fed in the irrigation water. Given that the nutrient concentration remained constant.

i have to disagree with that i believe it maybe because bigger size pot(not for all plants but most that have dealt with) = longer time for the root mass to grow and once it does it will outproduce a smaller container.since i don't have a long growing season over here it would be smart and more productive to use a smaller container but if i had a longer growing seasons than i would go for the bigger containers to get more fruit/veggies for sure. just my opinion and my very minimal gardening experience.

--------------------
Gymnopilus Luteofolius                  Gymnopilus Purpuratus                  G.luteofolius&G.luteoviridis

First grow (bagseed)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck