Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemystkspiral

White Powdery Substance
    #702116 - 12/25/13 10:08 AM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Some type of random white powdery dust is appearing on a few of my leaves in blotches. Thinking it could be dust? Can wipe it off with my fingers which just leaves a white smudge after. But will appear again on leaves the next day on more areas of the plants. Any ideas?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: White Powdery Substance [Re: mystkspiral] * 1
    #702119 - 12/25/13 10:19 AM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Powdery Mildew

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

Offlinemystkspiral

Re: White Powdery Substance [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #702122 - 12/25/13 10:23 AM (10 years, 3 months ago)

what type of threat and dangers would this cause?
best way to treat?

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: White Powdery Substance [Re: mystkspiral]
    #702123 - 12/25/13 10:28 AM (10 years, 3 months ago)

The best treatment is preventing it.  It's usually caused by high humidity and lack of air exchange.

A sulfur burner is the standard treatment.  They're may be some sprays out there, not real sure.

--------------------

-niteowl

Offlinehamloaf
Biometric Precursor.

Loc: Back in the USSR. Flag
    #702131 - 12/25/13 01:41 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Yea man, you're pretty much fucked.  The poster above me is correct.  You got you some powdery mildew.  He's also correct about the cause of said powdery mildew, and how to prevent it.

I hate to be the barer of bad news, but once powdery mildew infection is visible on the plant the plant is already infected all thought the plant.  I'd give the infected plants a week at the most before the plants drops over and die.  Once powdery mildew sets in and has sporulated it spreads all over the growing area creating a vector for future grows to become infected.

Keep a close eye on the uninfected plants to be sure whether or not they have become infected. Don't put any new plants in the growing area until you remove everything and deep clean all surfaces and equipment in the growing area with a powerful disinfectant.

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: White Powdery Substance [Re: hamloaf] * 1
    #702133 - 12/25/13 01:54 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

hamloaf said:
Yea man, you're pretty much fucked.  The poster above me is correct.  You got you some powdery mildew.  He's also correct about the cause of said powdery mildew, and how to prevent it.

I hate to be the barer of bad news, but once powdery mildew infection is visible on the plant the plant is already infected all thought the plant.  I'd give the infected plants a week at the most before the plants drops over and die.  Once powdery mildew sets in and has sporulated it spreads all over the growing area creating a vector for future grows to become infected.

Keep a close eye on the uninfected plants to be sure whether or not they have become infected. Don't put any new plants in the growing area until you remove everything and deep clean all surfaces and equipment in the growing area with a powerful disinfectant.

I have to disagree.  I have NEVER seen this happen.  Even without treatment. 

Go get a sulfur burner and start suppressing the infection.  Remember to only run it during the dark period

--------------------

-niteowl

Offlinemystkspiral

Re: White Powdery Substance [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #702254 - 12/26/13 09:40 AM (10 years, 3 months ago)

I don't think I'm "fucked" at all. Not even close. Did some research on this fungus and have seen references of worse positions and still being able to treat.
Fungus thrives in dark, cool, humid areas. So it's pretty obvious on how to kill mildew, do not give it those optimal conditions. I went ahead and added an extra fan on opposite side of grow for extra ventilation. Will be getting an organic fungicide to kill the mildew.

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Loc: Earth (mostly) Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #702255 - 12/26/13 10:16 AM (10 years, 3 months ago)

powder mildew is only a minor problem. Just got to keep an eye on it and make sure its not spreading to all the plants. Stale-moist air is the worst. Many sprays (like Neem Oil) can take care of it, but watch out too far into flower, I usually just left it alone if it was only one or two spots (usually toward the bottom) but if it starts getting bad you can start wiping it off with a moist sponge, or dipped into very diluted spray (buy a concentrate, not a pre mixed spray.)

Basically powder mildew is the first sign that your garden still needs good ventilation. I keep my exhaust fan on at night to keep the humidity from skyrocketing. A day/night temp controller didn't work as humidity kept going up. temp/humidity controller didn't work since the carbon filter didn't run all the time and the entire complex smelled like bud. So now I just keep it on manual control and the fan on low and it keeps the humidity down in the night time. I also added a few fans in the bottom to keep the air in the bottom mixed up, as that was usually the problem areas when there as any PM.

Some of the denser plants like say a pure indica can be more prone to it because of how tight together the leaves are, layering one on top of another to where air becomes stagnant. Its one of the other reasons I chose to go with a plant with a little more stretch so that the leaf mass would not be as dense.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
Bamboo Bongs I make | Perfect Dry and Cure | Grapegod under LED
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

Offlinemystkspiral

Re: White Powdery Substance [Re: phychotron]
    #702276 - 12/26/13 02:18 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Pyschotron:
Thank you very much for the input. With my current set up, I run my fan on medium  24/7 whether the lights are on or off. With an attached carbon filter. Prior to the PM, I only had 1 fan blowing across 1 plant, since ocillation was impossible. This helped contribute to pm in my opinion.

Last night I chnaged the positioning of my fan where it blows in the tops of all plants. I also spread the plants a bit further from eachother and also added an adjacent fan blowing across the bottoms of the plants. I believe ventilation has been increased. The PM had already spread to all plants by this time so am hoping to see some improvements from my additions.

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #702284 - 12/26/13 03:18 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Look into a 'tower' fan. They stand straight up and you don't need a big space for the fan to oscillate in. Once you get the air flowing in the plant zone you don't just get rid of the PM but also get it how the plants like it. The reason you need a fan on your plants is that the CO2 immediately around the leaf gets used up and the air is stagnant within a few seconds. It stops these micro zones around the leaf from accumulating.

Carbon is the main building block in organic life, plants grab CO2 from the air and release O2. Its why CO2 enrichment works so well, carbon is 45-50% of the plants biomass. For the most part though CO2 levels are fine for normal growers and benefits are only noticeable once you have everything dialed in. Just keep the air moving and you'll be fine.

Humidity should be around 40-60% but you can drop down to 20% to battle PM. Humidity is relative to temperature. The air can hold more water at a higher temperature, so the amount of water in the air at 70º 50% and 80º 50% are much different. So if you cant drop the humidity, drop the temperature by cranking up the fan.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

Offlinemystkspiral

#703297 - 12/30/13 12:03 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Psychotron:
Your inputs are simply invaluable. thank you again for a thorough, well in-depth lesson on the biology of the cannabis plant. I love everything about this plant and learning new things everyday remind me of how amazing this hobby can be.

I never thought of a tower fan, makes perfect sense and seems it would be MUCH for convenient. Thanks for the suggestion. Will pick one up soon.

Update, PM seemed to stop spreading or get worse once I added the extra fan few days ago. Then I sprayed them with a diluted mix of green cure 2 days ago. Yesterday the plants looked great with only 1 - 3 sites of PM. Will check today once the girls wake up at 7pm when I get back from work.

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Trusted Cultivator
    #703569 - 12/31/13 05:25 AM (10 years, 2 months ago)

No problem. I forgot you can also use Hydrogen Peroxide on PM. I've never seen that video, thats just nuts, I usually just foliar sprayed it on the infected leaves or wiped it off with a sponge soaked in it. Or maybe spray then wipe with sponge sounds more practical. It's hard to remember exactly, its been awhile. I want to say I even went straight 3% from the bottle too, just used it sparingly.

Those tower fans are a growers best friend. They move a wide strip of air making them perfect for the garden. But the best is not having to make extra room for a fan to oscillate. Space is more valuable the less you have. Head fans take up 3 times more space than they need to. The wind from a tower fan is not as dense/hard so they can be put close to the plants with negligible wind damage if any. I have two on the ground facing each other on opposite ends of the tent to cover the lower zone, and another box fan up top blowing one direction but I'd like to get two more oscillating fans to replace it, stacked on top of the other somehow. I'm thinking frame out of PVC or something like that.

--------------------

InvisibleGBurger717
Let me be me! I luv me some me!
Male

Loc: USA, East of Mississippi Flag
    #703797 - 12/31/13 05:27 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

I lost a plant over the summer due to mildew and it looked the same as this. I was gonna harvest since it was about that time well I left it for another few days. Well we had nothing but rain the next 5 days and when I went back to harvest this was all over the buds! I cried and then burned the plant.....

--------------------
"If only one party supports a bill, it's probably not a very good bill. If both parties support it, you can be sure that however good it seems on the surface, under the covers it's worse than you could possibly imagine" - Me myself and I 08-02-12

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty - Jefferson

The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - Jefferson

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom