Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Gold Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMidgetpawn
 User Gallery

red(not green) light for dark cycle plant viewing?
    #689769 - 10/19/13 03:34 AM (10 years, 5 months ago)

I'd like a light I can use during the dark cycle without disturbing flowering, and I'd always heard you can do this with green spectrum light, but according to this post on 420 magazine you shouldn't use green, but instead use a certain spectrum of red light?

Read #13
http://www.420magazine.com/forums/budding-cycle/114734-green-lights-how-lights-affect-your-plants.html

Does anyone know wtf he's saying? Should people be using red spectrum lights to view grow rooms in a dark cycle? The 420 poster also suggests there's a benefit to some red light in a dark cycle, but he doesn't really expand on what he's saying, which is lame since I've never heard any of what he's saying anywhere else and this information isn't readily available.

Does anyone use red lights to view during dark cycle, know what this guys talking about, or use green light without problem ever?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: red(not green) light for dark cycle plant viewing? [Re: Midgetpawn]
    #689779 - 10/19/13 09:06 AM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Give it a try and see if anything happens. I know plants are green they don't absorb green and I've been using green lights to go in at night for years with no affect at all. I'm not saying they don't work in anyway but I haven't tried it for myself.

:happyweed:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

OfflineMidgetpawn
 User Gallery

Re: red(not green) light for dark cycle plant viewing? [Re: Magash]
    #689882 - 10/19/13 08:01 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

I guess I'll search harder

I'm still wondering what he means by "pleasantly surprised" in the statement...
"I think you will be pleasantly surprised at what red light can do for your girls during you dark time."

I really wish he explained more. I also don't know what he means by the light being faster and slower.

OfflineMidgetpawn
 User Gallery

#690084 - 10/21/13 03:07 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Most if not all of the red lights I can find with above 630nm are grow lights, so using red doesn't totally make sense to me, and 730nm is infrared... Isn't IR invisible to the naked eye?

Does anyone know where to get cheap 630nm or 730nm+ red or even green lights that you can just hook up to a battery or small power source for a night light cycle? I found this on ebaybut I'd hate to find out it's invisible.

LED lights are like 2-20 cents each, so I really don't understand the cost of LED grow light units. You can probably build your own for way cheaper.

InvisiblephychotronM
Medicated

Loc: Earth (mostly) Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #690088 - 10/21/13 04:27 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

IR is invisible, it is emitted from every object with warmth (everything). Temperature determines how much IR is given off.

--------------------
Any help given is for educational purposes only. Its your responsibility not to break any applicable laws
Bamboo Bongs I make | Perfect Dry and Cure | Grapegod under LED
“Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible player.” ~ Albert Einstein

OfflineMidgetpawn
 User Gallery

Re: red(not green) light for dark cycle plant viewing? [Re: phychotron]
    #690281 - 10/23/13 04:20 AM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Do you think or know if 730nm red led light illuminate an area? I have a feeling even though it's in the infrared range it's still visible until higher nm.

I'm not really sure I should even be following this guys advice. He sounds like he knows what he's talking about, but why is he the only person anywhere who say's green light is bad and you should use red light? I should check if it was posted on april 1st.

Offlinehamloaf
Biometric Precursor.

Loc: Back in the USSR. Flag
    #690291 - 10/23/13 06:18 AM (10 years, 5 months ago)

This dude is the only person anywhere who says green light is bad and that you should use red light during the lights-off period because he's an idiot, that's why.  I wouldn't trust this guy either.  Ignore his advice.  Green light has been the industry standard for as long as I can remember for going into the flowering room to examine bud growth during the off-cycle in the photo period of the flowering stage.

OfflineMidgetpawn
 User Gallery

Re: red(not green) light for dark cycle plant viewing? [Re: hamloaf]
    #691065 - 10/29/13 09:22 PM (10 years, 4 months ago)

Well this isn't much detail, but I read this in the newer marijuana growers handbook

"A short burst of far-red light at 730 nm after lights
out or dusk accelerates flowering"

Quote:

hamloaf said:
This dude is the only person anywhere who says green light is bad and that you should use red light during the lights-off period because he's an idiot, that's why.  I wouldn't trust this guy either.  Ignore his advice.  Green light has been the industry standard for as long as I can remember for going into the flowering room to examine bud growth during the off-cycle in the photo period of the flowering stage.

I think you might be right. I was assuming he worked for 420 magazine, but the only thing to suggest that is his avatar. I still think there's something to using far nm red light or UV light at the end of a day light cycle. Also I think green light has been proven potentially harmful to the flowering cycle, and if anything you should just completely avoid light during dark periods if possible.

Edited by Midgetpawn (10/29/13 10:59 PM)

Invisiblesattvabodhi
Stoney Stranger
Male

Loc: Manitou Springs, Colorado Flag
    #691077 - 10/30/13 01:32 AM (10 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Midgetpawn said:
Well this isn't much detail, but I read this in the newer marijuana growers handbook

"A short burst of far-red light at 730 nm after lights
out or dusk accelerates flowering"

:manofapproval:

I was going to quote this earlier, but then I took the time to read through the thread and thought it might be redundant. I guess not though as I heard this from a master gardener about 6000 times. I know his buds were always grade A+ and I mean amazing. Perfectly flowered, crystalline and sparkly, and just a couple blast off a chillum and you were good to go!

--------------------
All who wonder are not lost.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds