Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Buy Kratom Powder & Leaf   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleGBurger717
Let me be me! I luv me some me!
Male

Loc: USA, East of Mississippi Flag
Papaver somniferum seeds direct from afghan. !!!!! Can these be grown indoors? *DELETED*
    #689370 - 10/15/13 02:56 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Post deleted by GBurger717

Reason for deletion: So my brother dont see it

--------------------
"If only one party supports a bill, it's probably not a very good bill. If both parties support it, you can be sure that however good it seems on the surface, under the covers it's worse than you could possibly imagine" - Me myself and I 08-02-12

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty - Jefferson

The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - Jefferson

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleresincoatedlungs
Brickweed Aficionado
 User Gallery

Re: Papaver somniferum seeds direct from afghan. !!!!! Can these be grown indoors? [Re: GBurger717]
    #689434 - 10/16/13 12:37 AM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Most people who try growing them indoors either fail or get piss poor yields of pods.
So far the only decent indoor grow I've seen was at Mycotopia, but the guy was using over 1,800 watts of light for what really wouldn't be all that much opium.

https://mycotopia.net/forums/photo-gallery/99325-four-weeks-poppy-pods.html
Quote:

I was thinking about offering some in the lot for some stamps

Keep me in mind, I'd love some. :wink:

InvisibleP-O

Re: Papaver somniferum seeds direct from afghan. !!!!! Can these be grown indoors? [Re: resincoatedlungs]
    #689501 - 10/16/13 03:12 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

ya they hate to be transplanted.

and do MUCH MUCH MUCH better outdoors

OfflineGaV
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Papaver somniferum seeds direct from afghan. !!!!! Can these be grown indoors? [Re: P-O]
    #689611 - 10/17/13 01:34 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

They are fairly frost tolerant to boot.  Over wintering is an option in a lot of areas.  I am in zone 9b.  I am planting now and again in a couple weeks.

As said before do not plan on transplanting.  Indoors is basically a giant waste of space.

I also like to severely over plant and then thin back only the biggest plants.  The seeds are plentiful and cheap so I hope within a few short generations it would help.

InvisibleCrushNazT
Male

Loc: Colorado Flag
Re: Papaver somniferum seeds direct from afghan. !!!!! Can these be grown indoors? [Re: GaV]
    #689614 - 10/17/13 02:07 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

holy shit a pound and a half of seeds?

so much potential....

InvisibleGBurger717
Let me be me! I luv me some me!
Male

Loc: USA, East of Mississippi Flag
Re: Papaver somniferum seeds direct from afghan. !!!!! Can these be grown indoors? [Re: CrushNazT]
    #689625 - 10/17/13 05:45 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Looks like I will wait until spring to do anything with these. I wonder if its safe to store them in the fridge like other seeds... I might sow some in the ground now and do it again in the spring....

As for these seeds to me they are special. They are from the place that most poppys grow! it was a risk for him to smuggle these out and I dont wanna waste all his rick over a fuck up!!!!!

I am also excited to grow out the other 3 beans I got! a tru afghan landrace... ( I hope it turns out well)

--------------------
"If only one party supports a bill, it's probably not a very good bill. If both parties support it, you can be sure that however good it seems on the surface, under the covers it's worse than you could possibly imagine" - Me myself and I 08-02-12

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty - Jefferson

The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - Jefferson

OfflineGaV
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Papaver somniferum seeds direct from afghan. !!!!! Can these be grown indoors? [Re: GBurger717]
    #689629 - 10/17/13 06:17 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

What is your USDA hardiness zone?

Offlinebudgrowerwannabe
Bum fighter
Male User Gallery

#690116 - 10/21/13 07:46 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Dude Thats bad ass man . I have been wanting to try and grow some kratom(dont know if spelled right)
or some poppy plants.

Send me a  :pm:  If you would like to share the love.:stayfunky:

OfflineIrieNature
Seeker

#716151 - 02/19/14 09:16 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

I remember reading they can be grown indoors under 24 hour lights. Supposedly under these conditions they will flower much faster but also smaller. I think they require near same lumen intensity as cannabis (if you want good yields). If that is true, it may not be that economical (based on cost of power vs. yield.)

There is a book by Robert Neil Bunch called Hydroponic Heroin: How to Grow Opium Poppies Without Soil

It is available on amazon. I cannot attest to the accuracy / validity of the information.

I have always grown them outdoors (simple , cheap hoop style greenhouses work)  The trick to these is the soil, it should be at least 1/3 sandy. They like acidic soils too.

As far as getting the seeds from the Middle East. It is actually quite common with US forces being in that area. I heard that soldiers (who are surrounded by these things in Afghanistan) ship them back to the USA and have people sell them on Ebay / Amazon.

There is a YouTube Channel "MegaThecandyman" that has some pretty good information about growing opium poppies. He is pretty good about answering questions too.

Edited by IrieNature (02/19/14 03:35 PM)

InvisibleP-O

Re: Papaver somniferum seeds direct from afghan. !!!!! Can these be grown indoors? [Re: IrieNature]
    #719046 - 03/03/14 12:01 AM (10 years, 29 days ago)

well i started 12 starting pods (3-5 seeds per pod).  put em on heating mat also in a humidity dome.

3 sprouted.  then 2 died shortly after.  I did have one seedling for about 6 days.  Yesterday realized that my heatin pad had been unplugged (couple days?).  So by this morning the one living seedling was looking rough.  I predict its a goner

For how easy poppy's grow outside its sure hard to keep em alive inside.  I may try one more time for the fun of it. :hi5:

Offlinebrianstequila
Stranger

Re: Papaver somniferum seeds direct from afghan. !!!!! Can these be grown indoors? [Re: P-O]
    #722065 - 03/19/14 01:56 AM (10 years, 13 days ago)

You can grow indoors but they need big ass pots for the tap root. Ive got them to grow under simple fluorescents. If your going hydro you need to keep your ph at around 6.5 and your ppms at 1000

Offlinefingrow
Stranger
Re: Papaver somniferum seeds direct from afghan. !!!!! Can these be grown indoors? [Re: brianstequila]
    #723600 - 03/28/14 06:25 AM (10 years, 4 days ago)

I have many times kept p. somniferum indoors at pots because my northern location.

I need to keep them grow in pot till end of May before I can move them out. Their growing indoors is easy, even I grow them first indoors, then move outdoors for summer, but long time I keep p. somniferum indoors before they go out.

I have sown few days or week ago to relatively big pots. I plant them outdoors to balcony when there is no night frost danger.

My friend, back in the day, grow p. somniferum indoors similar way cannabis are grown, pod's will be good stuff.

IMO yield outdoors without pots harvest is bigger if plants are far away from another plants enough, they grow pretty small there is no room to grow or poppies are sown too much to same place.

I always remove latest sprouts and keep few alive plants per container. I have find out plants are ok size and produce good pods and harvest can be probably done 2 times in summer from same plants, when I harvest main head, plant split and grow few pods more.

March-April is time I sow seeds indoors, May or June I move them outdoors. I live at arctic cirle. Can't grow poppies by sow them outdoors, if bad luck summer is too short to even produce one patch of pods.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Buy Kratom Powder & Leaf   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies