Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleDeadkndys420
 User Gallery

Loc: █████
Panama Red gone forever?
    #684266 - 09/04/13 09:40 PM (10 years, 6 months ago)

So I did some reading and some people claim that since the rise of cocaine in the 80s that Panama Red had gone "extinct".  I also read on High Times that  Delta-9  entered "Panama Red" in the Seattle Cannabis cup claiming it to be the real deal.  My question is  do you guys think it would be possible for say a patch of Panama Red to be growing in a remote part of Panama for 40 years uncrossed with any other strains?

:stoned:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleStonethM
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Male User Gallery

Loc: No where ville, USA Flag
Re: Panama Red gone forever? [Re: Deadkndys420]
    #684267 - 09/04/13 09:48 PM (10 years, 6 months ago)

Doubtful a pure strain has made it in the wild for so long.

However I hear tales of a few breeders still holding on to a cut from long ago, for breeding reasons.

--------------------
:getstoned:

InvisibleDeadkndys420
 User Gallery

Re: Panama Red gone forever? [Re: Stoneth]
    #684268 - 09/04/13 09:57 PM (10 years, 6 months ago)

I would love the chance to come across a few seeds or even a cutting.

:awehigh:

I hear some people in northern Cali have cuttings but that is all here say.

InvisibleStonethM
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Male User Gallery

Loc: No where ville, USA Flag
    #684295 - 09/05/13 07:46 AM (10 years, 6 months ago)

Yea there are a couple fellas over on seedhaven that claim to have some of Wally Ducks old genetics.
He had a handful of P red crossed strains.

--------------------
:getstoned:

OfflineRasJeph
Psycho Pete
Male

Loc: Bumfuckt Egypt
Re: Panama Red gone forever? [Re: Stoneth] * 3
    #684301 - 09/05/13 08:24 AM (10 years, 6 months ago)

This is new to me. All I know from Panama Red is this song

Which I don't know how the fuck I know because I don't like this style of music usually...but always catch myself singing it.

BUT HOLY FUCKING LOL I think its about this weed now!

The judge don't know when Red's in town
He keeps well hidden underground
But everybody's acting lazy
Falling out and hangin' 'round

My woman said, "Hey Pedro
you're actin' crazy like a clown"
Nobody feels like working
Panama Red is back in town

--------------------
Of course it's happening inside your head.
Why should that mean it isn't real?

OfflineRasJeph
Psycho Pete
Male

Loc: Bumfuckt Egypt
Re: Panama Red gone forever? [Re: RasJeph]
    #684302 - 09/05/13 08:27 AM (10 years, 6 months ago)

Hahahahah I'm so glad you posted this, because now that song is even more rad. It used to be one of the only country songs I said I liked (besides commander kody if you count them as country) and now I know its about weed. can't be a coincidence hahaha.

--------------------
Of course it's happening inside your head.
Why should that mean it isn't real?

OfflinePoloDown
Stranger Danger

Re: Panama Red gone forever? [Re: RasJeph]
    #684313 - 09/05/13 10:13 AM (10 years, 6 months ago)

Strain hunters might have some documentation about it.

They are finishing a trip in Colombia right now after finding some pure land race strains

OfflineTomCollins

Re: Panama Red gone forever? [Re: PoloDown]
    #684316 - 09/05/13 11:04 AM (10 years, 6 months ago)

oh panama red... :crying:

--------------------
andyistic said:
Ok so let me bring you idiots up to speed.
The admins are tired of this shitfest being made the joke of the weed community on the Internet.

InvisibleDeadkndys420
 User Gallery

Re: Panama Red gone forever? [Re: TomCollins]
    #684322 - 09/05/13 11:56 AM (10 years, 6 months ago)

Found an interesting article on PR.
Quote:

Until the 1970s Panama produced large quantities of high-grade cannabis, mostly to be exported to the United States and Europe. The Panama Red was grown mostly along the pacific coast, slightly less rainy and more fertile. Then the cocaine trade changed the balances of money and power, and the locals dedicated themselves to the more lucrative business option. Cannabis cultivation continued on small scale, for local consumption, but basically most of the forest areas that were previously used to grow fields were converted in landing strips or jungle labs.

The only area where the cannabis production continued basically unchanged was on a group of islands off the south coast, the Pearl islands (Islas de las Perlas). These islands have the perfect climate to grow sativas: mild temperatures, constant breeze, acceptable humidity, fertile soil, thick forest to hide and protect on the ground as well as from the air. Since a long, long time ago people grow on these islands, and seeds have been passed on from generation to generation, since hundreds of years ago. and they are still busy. This is the place where it is still possible, even if not easy, to find the true landrace.

Source

So I guess it is more possible then I thought that PR could still be around.

OfflinePoloDown
Stranger Danger

#684327 - 09/05/13 12:18 PM (10 years, 6 months ago)

I knew they would have something :thumbup:

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

#684328 - 09/05/13 12:30 PM (10 years, 6 months ago)

Sounds like I need to book a trip.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

InvisibleDeadkndys420
 User Gallery

Re: Panama Red gone forever? [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #684337 - 09/05/13 01:53 PM (10 years, 6 months ago)

:highfive:

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Re: Panama Red gone forever? [Re: Deadkndys420] * 2
    #684342 - 09/05/13 03:21 PM (10 years, 6 months ago)

By far one of the most overrated strains in history. If you have smoked Mexican you have smoked Panama Red.

What's funny is I have grown strains that were hard to get strains from the 70s many times and what happens every time is that they suck. They were popular when strains were 3 to 9% thc. Now strains are up in the high 20s as far as thc percent ranges.

Have to remember that back then any weed that didn't have seeds was some special killer weed.

Put Panama Red next to any of the top Medical strains of today and you would have to be crazy to choose the Panama Red.

Even the so called "killer strains" from the 60s, 70s and so on just can't compete with the strains of today. Even the hash from then can't keep up with the hash from today. They didn't have bubble bags or use butane and so on they just pressed kif.

:happyweed:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

OfflineFRACTALife
Rust Fuckin' Cohle
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Carcosa Flag
Re: Panama Red gone forever? [Re: Magash]
    #684557 - 09/08/13 02:30 PM (10 years, 6 months ago)

Good point, Magash.:thumbup:

Are Thai Sticks from the 80's the same deal? That they are pretty much as good or even lower quality than today's top shelf strains?

--------------------

InvisibleDeadkndys420
 User Gallery

Re: Panama Red gone forever? [Re: FRACTALife]
    #684558 - 09/08/13 02:36 PM (10 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

FRACTALife said:
Are Thai Sticks from the 80's the same deal?

Traditionally thai stick were seedless buds with a stem skewered  in the middle then dipped in hash oil.

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Re: Panama Red gone forever? [Re: FRACTALife]
    #684560 - 09/08/13 03:11 PM (10 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

FRACTALife said:
Good point, Magash.:thumbup:

Are Thai Sticks from the 80's the same deal? That they are pretty much as good or even lower quality than today's top shelf strains?

You know I've had some of the killer Thai weed and it's potent but not when compared to a say a real Diesel or a Haze. Breeders do work for a reason if they are truly into what they do. Nowadays it seems like people just cross two big name strains and release the seeds right away without trying to do any work to stabilize their strains. (Since they used two killer strains all the phenos are killer then they take credit for doing work they didn't actually do) Which is the big thing to do in Amsterdam these days. That or outright lying about having seeds of Cali strains.

Example: Cross a AK-47 with a GDP. Some of the seeds will put out plants like the AK that grow tall and are more of a sativa high. Some will be like the GDP and be short with a indica high. Then there is the shitload that have a mix of both. Now whether they are like the AK or the GDP there gonna be killer smoke. Everybody hoots and hollers about it and he looks like a killer breeder. Never mind that some are tall plants some short. Some smell like the AK some berry smelling like the GDP.

Now if the breeder did his job dude in NY grows the seeds and dude in TX grows the seeds they both have plants that grow alike. Both have plants with the same smell or at least very similar as well as the high and so on. This shows that the breeder did his job. He can say this seed is short and good for small spaces. This is tall and killer for outdoors. Most can't do that cause they did no work to stabilize the strains.

I'm buzzed so I'm rambling again sorry. :facepalm:

:happyweed:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

OfflineFRACTALife
Rust Fuckin' Cohle
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Carcosa Flag
Re: Panama Red gone forever? [Re: Magash]
    #684561 - 09/08/13 03:30 PM (10 years, 6 months ago)

No you're good Magash :rofl2:
I am buzzed too but you are very informative :bongload:

I was just asking because my dad talks about the Thai sticks from college in the 80's. :lol:
But he doesn't like to smoke because he gets too confused and paranoids and he just trips out.
Like he couldn't even get up to pee at his friends party because he was nervous about what everyone would think- that's his Thai stick story

I was thinking the same thing as you though, with how much better weed has gotten the past 20 years I would bet the strains I have would blow him away

He has eaten one of my oil brownies before, which barely got me feeling a body buzz when I eat 2 or 3, and he felt like he was tripping for the whole night. He had to drink a glass of wine to calm down, then tried to drive to the gas station literally a minute away and he said it was SOOO hard and scary :awehigh:

He is very cool, and helps me out with money for medicine sometimes :spinleaf::hug:

--------------------

Edited by FRACTALife (09/08/13 03:31 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies