Home | Community | Message Board

Royal Queen Seeds Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineGreenHorns
boulevardier
Male

Loc: funkytown Flag
Seedlings growing like shit
    #675839 - 06/23/13 07:45 PM (10 years, 9 months ago)

Soil Growers:
1. Are you growing from seed or clones?
seed

2. How old are your plants?
about 30 days

3. How tall are your plants?
5"

4. What size containers are they planted in?
3X3X3" typical starter size container

5. What is your soil mix?
Humboldt blue bag

6. How often do you water and what type of water do you use and how much you give per watering?
every 4 days or so now and I flush them thoroughly with filtered drinking water

7. What is the pH of your water?

8. What kind of fertilizer do you use and what is its NPK ratio?
plain water

9. Do you foliar feed or spray your plants with anything?
I did spray occasionally but stopped for a bit to see what's what

10. What kind of lights do you use and how many watts combined? (HPS, MH, fluorescent, halogen, incandescent "plant lights")
2' T5 6500k fixture running 4 bulbs 24w each. 96w total light directly over. They are exposed to the 1000w hps from the tent accorss the room for 12 hours a day. They receive 24 themselves though. 

11. How close are your lights to the plants?
6"

12. What size is your grow space in square feet?
total veg area where they are is 20sf

13. What is the temperature and humidity in your grow space?
don't have hydrometer but again sprayed occasionally and now don't anymore. Temp is 72-73 at night and 82 in the day maybe at worse.

14. What is the pH of the soil?
not sure. Plain water flushed out up to 2X a week in mentioned soil I assume it can't be too bad.

15. Have you noticed any insect activity in your grow space?
yes gnats maybe. Little stupid flying insects chilling on top soil in both grow spaces. Recently put up fly ribbons and see zero benefit.

16. How much experience do you have growing?
about a dozen harvests. Only grown 3 groups of seeds including this one though.

my issue is white spots on leafs with paling on lower old leafs. And some of the plants have a bit a dark purple or maybe dark blue color around leaf ends. I would see that as normal if this is a strain known for it but they seem to young to do shit like that right? Can try to upload pic tomorrow.

--------------------
wiggy wham wham wazzle

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineitsaconspiracy
governments worst nightmare
Male

Loc: florida Flag
Re: Seedlings growing like shit [Re: GreenHorns]
    #675845 - 06/23/13 09:10 PM (10 years, 9 months ago)

i think we would need pics to make a definite guess.

--------------------

Edited by itsaconspiracy (06/23/13 09:11 PM)

OfflineGreenHorns
boulevardier
Male

Re: Seedlings growing like shit [Re: itsaconspiracy]
    #675847 - 06/23/13 09:11 PM (10 years, 9 months ago)

Yeah I'll get some up when I'm at a computer

--------------------
wiggy wham wham wazzle

Offlineitsaconspiracy
governments worst nightmare
Male

Loc: florida Flag
    #675848 - 06/23/13 09:12 PM (10 years, 9 months ago)

cool

--------------------

OfflineGreenHorns
boulevardier
Male

Re: Seedlings growing like shit [Re: itsaconspiracy]
    #675849 - 06/23/13 09:15 PM (10 years, 9 months ago)

Wonder if there's a mobile upload plug in that could be added to the site.

--------------------
wiggy wham wham wazzle

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #675850 - 06/23/13 09:30 PM (10 years, 9 months ago)

Ok Greenhorns lets start right here.

Quote:

15. Have you noticed any insect activity in your grow space?
yes gnats maybe. Little stupid flying insects chilling on top soil in both grow spaces. Recently put up fly ribbons and see zero benefit.

Now if your seeing these guys

That means these are in your soil

They eat the roots of new cuttings and seedlings. I'm gonna guess the problem lies in this area if you are seeing a lot of gnats.

Hope this helps
:happyweed:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

OfflineTribalSeed
SoulJah

Loc: Babylon
Re: Seedlings growing like shit [Re: Magash]
    #675862 - 06/23/13 11:30 PM (10 years, 9 months ago)

I was thinking the same Magash, Im not as skilled or as experienced by any means, but I have had the same issue in a couple of past grows. I didn't notice any purplish colors on the leaves but I have had them attack seedlings numerous times and I usually see paler leaves and even some deformed leaves (although the deformed leaves may have just been poor genetics since it was bagseed).
I have read on here I believe that fungus gnats are attracted to yellow so if you can find yellow fly tape that would attract the adults and hang it at plant level. In high times, Danny Danko has said that overwatering causes fungus gnats in conjunction with warmer temps(the 82 degrees you mentioned maybe?). Also in High times, it was stated that to get rid of the young larvae you can drench the soil with a larvaecide like Gnatrol twice weekly for one month in conjunction with a diluted neem-oil spray for the soil surface. He says the life span is less than eight days so it should be fairly quick and easy to get rid of them.

Lastly Danko says they love the surface soil to be moist and warm, so an easy remedy to the situation would be to bottom feed the plants, like a wicking system or something he lists called EarthBoxes and/or botanical Brothers hydro buckets.

Sorry to quote High Times, but I had the issue handy and I remember reading where a reader had the exact same problem. Hope it helps my Type O brother!

EDIT: I also just read a post that's stickied here that if you use nematodes and then cover with a layer of sand over your surface soil in your final growing container (the one you will flower in) you can eliminate the problem fairly easily. The user did not suggest using Neem because of the messiness and the harm it may do to your plants.

--------------------

Edited by TribalSeed (06/23/13 11:46 PM)

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Seedlings growing like shit [Re: TribalSeed]
    #675867 - 06/23/13 11:53 PM (10 years, 9 months ago)

This doesn't matter.
Quote:

Im not as skilled or as experienced by any means

When the rest of what you said is on the mark.

Good post :thumbup:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

OfflineTribalSeed
SoulJah

#675870 - 06/24/13 12:05 AM (10 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Magash said:
This doesn't matter.
Quote:

Im not as skilled or as experienced by any means

When the rest of what you said is on the mark.

Good post :thumbup:

Thank you sir. That means a lot to me. I research as much as possible.

--------------------

OfflineGreenHorns
boulevardier
Male

#675882 - 06/24/13 05:24 AM (10 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks guys I'll snap pics and go from there. I don't think they are that big or structured that lanky. They look like miniature fly's and fly clumsy like fly's. I was leaning more towards pests since I do have them here now. Even had my first real spider mite outbreak in the flower tent. They are eliminated now and never reached the veg area but I for sure have bugs of all kinds out here in the country.

--------------------
wiggy wham wham wazzle

OfflineGreenHorns
boulevardier
Male

#675997 - 06/24/13 06:10 PM (10 years, 9 months ago)

Yeah gnats. Filthy bastards :grrr:
I'll see what Jorge says and look at that gnats post. Anything in particular that attracts them to my plants?

--------------------
wiggy wham wham wazzle

OfflineTribalSeed
SoulJah

#676014 - 06/24/13 08:36 PM (10 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

GreenHorns said:
Yeah gnats. Filthy bastards :grrr:
I'll see what Jorge says and look at that gnats post. Anything in particular that attracts them to my plants?

I would say the moist warm conditions just like the fungus gnats, but I need to research abit to be sure. I seen a Jorge video where he found a solution for PM on mature plants, he just soaked the buds in a peroxcide/H2O solution for a few minutes then hung them up in front of a fan to dry off abit. You could actually see the powdery mildew on the water's surface! Gonna keep checking on the gnat situation for you.

--------------------

OfflineTribalSeed
SoulJah

#676024 - 06/24/13 09:21 PM (10 years, 9 months ago)

Ok man got some more info for you.

I have read that fungus gnats and the gnats we are experiencing all have larvae that live in the soil. Other growers on other boards have said to use potato slices and place them about an inch to two inches in the soil with part of the slice still sticking up. this will attract the larvae and eggs in the soil, but you got to replace them every 2 to three days. The post I found on this was from 09 so it is kind of dated info, but not too old. Everyone keeps suggesting fly strips and lots of them, but I swear these things just laugh at the shit.lol.
Also have read that the stuff called gnat-off and Diptera work wonders and the latter is an organic bacteria which doesn't harm the plants.

Mainly I read that people keep a hold on the infestation by leaving their soil outdoors for a few days and shake it every so often and this is supposed to kill off any larvae living in the soil. Don't know if I would trust this or not though, maybe wrong.

I have read solutions that range from a half empty beer bottle in the room/tent to catch the adults to placing a bug net around the plant itself or the tent. I have seen a common denominator though that it takes up to a week to a week and a half to notice any benefits by any solution. Sand/Vermiculite/Hydroton balls/ Perlite on the top soil about an inch to inch and a half thick will stop the introduction of more larvae and will kill off the little shits that are in the soil and stop the breeding cycle. Foliar sprays seem to be the answer to keeping them away from buds.

Main thing I have read also is to clean the tent/room after each harvest, that way it keeps down on all pest infestations, which is probably common sense to us.lol

Sorry man, I wish I could give you a straight up answer, but I keep finding information on fungus gnats and fruit flies together, or just fungus gnats.

--------------------

OfflineTribalSeed
SoulJah

#676026 - 06/24/13 09:23 PM (10 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

GreenHorns said:
Anything in particular that attracts them to my plants?

I would say the top soil being moist and the warmer temps during the day. Your temps don't get all that high though, so maybe just the moistness of the soil.

--------------------

OfflineGreenHorns
boulevardier
Male

#676262 - 06/26/13 05:05 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

So a local grow shop sells "beneficial nematodes" but they are delivered because they can't stock them and keep them alive. Sounds weird what the hell are these? have you guys used this treatment personally? Shouldn't it be an enzyme in a bottle kind of thing?

--------------------
wiggy wham wham wazzle

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #676264 - 06/26/13 05:13 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

I've used them. There not bad but it's kind of hit and miss with em.
:happyweed:

--------------------

OfflineGreenHorns
boulevardier
Male

#676287 - 06/26/13 07:56 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Shit. $28 sank into this and they come live from Los Angeles in enough multitude to cover 20k SF. The company, Orcon, has little packets for various bugs you can buy at the shop. You mail in the card with your code on it, and they next day you the bugs. I chose to enter the code online. According to the shop owner they got theirs next day. If I didn't just get robbed this would be a cool operation i would recommend.

--------------------
wiggy wham wham wazzle

OfflineTribalSeed
SoulJah

#676348 - 06/27/13 10:26 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

GreenHorns said:
Shit. $28 sank into this and they come live from Los Angeles in enough multitude to cover 20k SF. The company, Orcon, has little packets for various bugs you can buy at the shop. You mail in the card with your code on it, and they next day you the bugs. I chose to enter the code online. According to the shop owner they got theirs next day. If I didn't just get robbed this would be a cool operation i would recommend.

DUDE you got robbed?!?!?
Damn man I am really sorry to hear that shit. Hope they catch the fuckers. And people say WE are the criminals.WTF?
I hope the nematodes work man. Let me know the outcome. I will be following suit if they work out for you. So far the sand/perlite on the top has cut down on them quite a bit. However I did find out what the problem was in the first place introducing them into my home period.....my fucking septic tank backed up and we had to get it pumped, so that's why a lot of them were drawn to my place. Fucked up huh?

I wish you the best man, I hope they didn't take a whole lot from you. Keep your head up!  :sorry:

--------------------

OfflineGreenHorns
boulevardier
Male

#676352 - 06/27/13 10:33 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

I said "if I didn't just get robbed" as in I hope I didn't pay 28$ for a package that will never show up. Seems ligit and I will for sure post up results working with the company.
wonder if vermiculite is good enough or if it needs to be heavy small sand granules on top of the soil.

--------------------
wiggy wham wham wazzle

OfflineGreenHorns
boulevardier
Male

#676388 - 06/27/13 04:15 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Finally got the pictures uploaded. So the spotting im going to blame on the larva. The darkening around leaf edges is what im unsure of. What do you guys think?

--------------------
wiggy wham wham wazzle

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds