Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Capsules   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleP-O

16 Cases of Kidney Damage in 6 States From Synthetic Pot: CDC
    #664721 - 04/03/13 06:28 AM (10 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Five people needed their blood filtered after using designer drugs such as 'Spice,' researchers report.

THURSDAY, Feb. 14 (HealthDay News) -- Sixteen cases of serious kidney damage caused by synthetic marijuana products were reported in six states last year, according to a new U.S. government study released Thursday.

Although no one died, all 16 people had to be admitted to hospitals and five required hemodialysis, the report from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said. In hemodialysis -- a treatment commonly used to treat advanced kidney failure -- a person's blood is filtered to remove waste and extra fluids, and then the clean blood is returned to the body.

The patients described in the CDC report ranged in age from 15 to 33, all but one were male, and none of them had a history of kidney disease.

"Synthetic cannabinoids, which are sold in smoke shops and convenience stores under names like 'synthetic marijuana,' 'Spice,' 'K2,' or 'herbal incense,' are designer drugs dissolved in solvent, applied to plant material, and smoked," the researchers explained. The report is published in the Feb. 15 issue of the CDC's Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report.

The government report followed on the heels on new research released last week that found that synthetic marijuana has been directly linked to serious kidney damage.

Those researchers, from the University of Alabama at Birmingham, pointed out that synthetic marijuana has become increasingly popular over the past few years because such man-made drugs are relatively cheap and difficult to detect with drug screening tests.

They also suggested that doctors should suspect the use of synthetic marijuana when patients, particularly young adults, have unexplained acute kidney damage.

"Cases of acute coronary syndrome associated with synthetic marijuana use have been reported, but our publication is the first to associate use with acute kidney injury," study co-author Dr. Gaurav Jain, an assistant professor in the nephrology division, said in a university news release. Abnormally rapid heart rate and seizures have also been reported with synthetic marijuana use, he noted.

Jain's team examined four cases of acute kidney damage that were linked to the use of synthetic marijuana. In each case, an otherwise healthy young man went to the emergency room with nausea, vomiting and abdominal pain after using the drug. All of the men, the researchers noted, lived in the same town in northeastern Alabama, and all of the cases occurred within a nine-week period.

Three of the men had an acute kidney injury that caused their volume of urine to be abnormally low. The fourth man had a drop in effective blood flow to the kidney. Three of the men had a kidney biopsy that showed the death of cells in the kidney that secrete, reabsorb, collect and transport urine. Although this condition can lead to kidney failure, in these cases the men regained their kidney function and did not need dialysis, the study authors noted in the news release.

Because all of the men had used synthetic marijuana, the doctors suggested that how the drug is manufactured may have played a role in its dangerous effects to the kidneys. They pointed out that synthetic marijuana is made with certain additives, which may be toxic to the kidneys.

However, the investigators could not confirm that the drug's preparation causes kidney damage because they couldn't analyze samples of the synthetic marijuana the men took or the men's blood and urine samples, which were no longer available.

"There is very little information regarding the ingredients in synthetic cannabinoids that are sold on the streets, although it is known that additional compounds are added to the preparations," said Jain. He suggested that it is "very likely" that a substance that is toxic to the kidney was added to the drug used by the patients.

The doctors concluded that patients with acute kidney injury should be asked about use of designer drugs, such as synthetic marijuana. "If they don't get to a physician in time, the damage to their kidneys could be permanent, and they could end up on dialysis," cautioned Jain.

The research was released online in advance of publication in the March print issue of the Clinical Journal of the American Society of Nephrology.

More information

The U.S. National Institute on Drug Abuse has more about synthetic marijuana.

http://www.healthfinder.gov/News/Article.aspx?id=673476&source=govdelivery

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleGBurger717
Let me be me! I luv me some me!
Male

Loc: USA, East of Mississippi Flag
Re: 16 Cases of Kidney Damage in 6 States From Synthetic Pot: CDC [Re: P-O]
    #664729 - 04/03/13 09:07 AM (10 years, 11 months ago)

Why anyone would use this garbage is beyond me! Even if I was on probation I would not touch this shit. This will continue until the real deal is legalized. MJ is much safer and never caused the problems that reefer madness told us they did. MJ was made illegal due to the fact people where raceist! Our times are changing and so are our laws. We need to put up a fight.

Bottom line is whoever is stupid enough to use this should know all the risk and compare it to the reward.

--------------------
"If only one party supports a bill, it's probably not a very good bill. If both parties support it, you can be sure that however good it seems on the surface, under the covers it's worse than you could possibly imagine" - Me myself and I 08-02-12

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty - Jefferson

The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - Jefferson

InvisibleP-O

Re: 16 Cases of Kidney Damage in 6 States From Synthetic Pot: CDC [Re: GBurger717]
    #664737 - 04/03/13 11:10 AM (10 years, 11 months ago)

i found it crazy that it was sold at gas stations for so long.    So many kids smoked this shit cuz they couldn't find bud...

(ive never smoked a Synthetic cannabinoid )

LEGALIZE

OfflineMaestro
Strange
Loc: Kiev, Ukraine
Re: 16 Cases of Kidney Damage in 6 States From Synthetic Pot: CDC [Re: P-O]
    #664744 - 04/03/13 11:41 AM (10 years, 11 months ago)

What ever happened to trying everything once?

No homo bro

I have seen a bunch of people pass out and/or have a panic attack on synthetics but none of them ever did it again... You gotta understand, the strong stuff only takes a .1 to be gone, and it doesn't smell like pot. So its cheap and you can just take it anywhere.

It's the cool kids that smoke big blunts that end up in the hospital cause it takes a while to kick in and they underestimate

I'm not saying its not bad for you, it deff is. But so is alcohol, meth, opium, etc.

--------------------
I am Thread Killer.

OfflineFlyingSwordzman
Stranger

Re: 16 Cases of Kidney Damage in 6 States From Synthetic Pot: CDC [Re: Maestro]
    #666047 - 04/14/13 04:17 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

I personaly wouldnt take anything I didn't make myself.

OfflineMaestro
Strange
Loc: Kiev, Ukraine
Re: 16 Cases of Kidney Damage in 6 States From Synthetic Pot: CDC [Re: FlyingSwordzman]
    #666132 - 04/15/13 07:32 AM (10 years, 11 months ago)

Lol?

You telling me you grew your first smoke?

--------------------
I am Thread Killer.

InvisibleP-O

Re: 16 Cases of Kidney Damage in 6 States From Synthetic Pot: CDC [Re: Maestro]
    #667305 - 04/23/13 07:03 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

think he means makes his own smoke mix (chemicals + herbs) ...

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Capsules   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale