Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale, Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineThebooedocksaint
Dead Dictator
 User Gallery

Loc: Wild & Free
Opinions II: Constitutionally required Early Education?
    #661611 - 03/09/13 03:36 AM (11 years, 22 days ago)

Link

I do value the use of early education, but I figure some of you may be opposed to state/federal based education?

I have personally thought that the public standardized school system isn't that effective, but private schools aren't always much better. Do you guys have any opinions on how school systems should be run, how they should be regulated/if at all? Graduation requirements standardized as well, or some accreditation program?

I'm kind of a fan of letting students pick what classes they want to take from a fairly early age, and let them advance as quickly as they are able to if they excel at some subject. I'd also like the idea of having one large campus containing primary, secondary, and some vocational education.

Just trying to get some good discussion. :lolcat:

--------------------
"Je pense, donc je suis (I am thinking, therefore I am)." -Rene Descartes

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDungenessDank
Lord of the Flies

Loc: PNW
Re: Opinions II: Constitutionally required Early Education? [Re: Thebooedocksaint]
    #661621 - 03/09/13 08:45 AM (11 years, 21 days ago)

I'll never send my children to public schools, if I can't afford to raise them how I want, I won't have any.

OfflineMaestro
Strange
Loc: Kiev, Ukraine
Re: Opinions II: Constitutionally required Early Education? [Re: DungenessDank]
    #661640 - 03/09/13 02:17 PM (11 years, 21 days ago)

Quote:

DungenessDank said:
I'll never send my children to public schools, if I can't afford to raise them how I want, I won't have any.

I don't think anyone (purposely) has a kid, knowing they won't have enough money to raise him/her the way they want. Shit happens. Addiction, illness, recession, ho's, etc. this is when the government should come in..

Plenty of middle And upper class families send their kids to public school for the "experience", while they could pay for it and not even feel the difference. Also, since students are "zoned", all the non-needy kids go to the same schools, which of course makes the school the best around, providing the most government funding.
On the flip side, the "bad" schools are in low income areas, so they get the least funding.

I think money and effort should be put where it's needed, not where the grades are highest.

As to the overall standards of education - making them higher makes for less janitors and more competition for the people who run this joint. Makes no sense for a rich to support education reforms. HIS kid isn't limited by public education as is...but he has to pay more taxes.

--------------------
I am Thread Killer.

OfflineManitou
Indépendantiste
Male User Gallery

Loc: Québecédelic
    #661654 - 03/09/13 04:14 PM (11 years, 21 days ago)

Quote:

DungenessDank said:

I went to private highschool, it was a well reknown place of the area, and tbh it was pure waste of money, theres no fuckin differences between private schools and public schools, except private makes you wear mother fuckin uniforms, there were way more drugs at my school than at public school (I had lots of friends who would go to public) because the kids all have more money (rich kids), there were even more sketchier drugs like cocaine, speed and PCP, for real I  would have prefered to go to public school, cost less money, same quality of teachers, also, my private school was the #1 basket ball school in the area, if you didn't play basket ball or if you weren't sportive at all, teachers wouldn't give a flying fuck about you.

--------------------
Pour un instant, j'ai respiré très fort
Ça m'a permis de visiter mon corps
Des inconnus vivent en roi chez moi
Moi qui avait accepté leurs lois
J'ai perdu mon temps à gagner du temps
J'ai besoin de me trouver une histoire à me conter
Pour instant j'ai oublié mon nom
Harmonium - Pour un instant
--------------------------------------------

Edited by Manitou (03/09/13 04:18 PM)

OfflineDungenessDank
Lord of the Flies

Re: Opinions II: Constitutionally required Early Education? [Re: Manitou]
    #661659 - 03/09/13 05:50 PM (11 years, 21 days ago)

lol you guys miss the point completely.

Maestro you don't win points for being a bleeding heart

Gaskelort I'd home school or unschool, I find most women would rather raise and teach their children than work anyway.

OfflineManitou
Indépendantiste
Male User Gallery

#661660 - 03/09/13 05:59 PM (11 years, 21 days ago)

kk I didn't think you meant that, but one of the possible problem with homeschool is that the kids might not be prepared to social contacts with other people, like making friends, or doing team works n thang. I'm not saying it would absolutely happen, but in my opinion it would certainly change the ways they wouldn't consider social contacts.

The problem with unschool is that our society doesn't reckonize any other type of education but the one it created. For exemple, some native can be able to track down animals quite efficiently, but where will it lead him in the society, except for hunting. He couldn't attend college or thangs. I think it would be a huge step back for your kids, because it could block them paths they could desire for their future. I am not saying that unschooling would make people dumb, but it could certainly slow them down, if, at the age of going to college, they desire to do so, well they will need to learn thangs they would have already learned in highschool or elementary school.

The school system certainly ain't perfect, nor adapted to everyone, but there are several things a kid can learn in there that will benefit him for the rest of his life. The unschooling would certainly teach great thangs, but would they be considered?

--------------------

OfflineManitou
Indépendantiste
Male User Gallery

#661661 - 03/09/13 06:01 PM (11 years, 21 days ago)

I also think the way schools are run today is completely dumb, they are run as business, they try to make as much money as possible instead of trying to help and teach kids the best way possible.

--------------------

InvisibleP-O

#661662 - 03/09/13 06:03 PM (11 years, 21 days ago)

I agree what ever the best reply is

OfflineMaestro
Strange
Re: Opinions II: Constitutionally required Early Education? [Re: P-O]
    #661663 - 03/09/13 06:48 PM (11 years, 21 days ago)

Bleeding heart. Noun
A person considered to be dangerously softhearted, typically someone considered too liberal in political beliefs.

I still don't get it.

What does this have to do with having kids? I'm just saying no one PLANS to not be able to support their kids.

--------------------
I am Thread Killer.

OfflineDungenessDank
Lord of the Flies

Re: Opinions II: Constitutionally required Early Education? [Re: Maestro]
    #661664 - 03/09/13 07:23 PM (11 years, 21 days ago)

Yeah because people are retarded. You either are a success as a parent or a failure, no reason to tip-toe around the issue.

OfflineThebooedocksaint
Dead Dictator
 User Gallery

#661675 - 03/10/13 04:01 AM (11 years, 21 days ago)

Quote:

DungenessDank said:
lol you guys miss the point completely.

Maestro you don't win points for being a bleeding heart

Gaskelort I'd home school or unschool, I find most women would rather raise and teach their children than work anyway.

That's the thing though, I don't think it's up to parents to educate their children. So the question reamains: what kind of education should children be guaranteed regardless of how well off their parents are?

If it wasn't for public education I wouldn't have had an education, so much reform is needed. It almost needs to be less structured.

OR maybe for public education allow children whose parents are disadvantaged get subsidized education/grants/scholarships for the private schools. Even with that model though I can see children being left behind and never given a chance to know what they may be interested in.

I'd like Algebra taught at an earlier age, possible along with arithmetic. I mean they already are learning algebra when they learn the whole "you have 3 apples and I take one, how many do you still have" type question. Why not make the children aware of that, shit isn't really hard. It's just about pacing and how much time is available.

Kids could learn quite a bit about astronomy early on if it was offered too, and probably more subjects than we seem to think are primary school friendly.

I suppose I want primary education to be more like secondary. Education is about empowerment and self discovery really.

I guess it may just be I have to give a fuck because I want to teach though.

--------------------

OfflineMaestro
Strange
Re: Opinions II: Constitutionally required Early Education? [Re: Thebooedocksaint]
    #661692 - 03/10/13 11:03 AM (11 years, 20 days ago)

Early education has Everything to do with parenting. It's what effects kids most no matter what.

And education IS empowerment, but the US became prosperous thanks to a mostly uneducated population.

http://www.deliberatedumbingdown.com/

--------------------
I am Thread Killer.

OfflineThebooedocksaint
Dead Dictator
 User Gallery

Re: Opinions II: Constitutionally required Early Education? [Re: Maestro]
    #661717 - 03/10/13 03:24 PM (11 years, 20 days ago)

Oh I know. I mean had we not indoctrinated Educated the natives they might not have become capitalists civilized individuals. Had we taught the Blacks they might have understood and thought about how to rise up. Had we not taught the white working class that they were below other classes, but still white and better they might have rose up as well.

I just think that there are some subjects that could be included at the primary level, to make them more prepared for advancing through secondary level courses. We need more STEM graduates, we need more US citizens that want to be STEM graduates too; not just people from overseas who just want to go home after graduation and take their skills elsewhere.

We really don't market how important science is to children, we just tell them it is. We don't let them know what they can do.

--------------------

OfflineDungenessDank
Lord of the Flies

#661725 - 03/10/13 05:28 PM (11 years, 20 days ago)

Don't force your shitty culture on my unborn children.

OfflineThebooedocksaint
Dead Dictator
 User Gallery

#661743 - 03/10/13 11:59 PM (11 years, 20 days ago)

Quote:

DungenessDank said:
Don't force your shitty culture on my unborn children.

Then let's talk serious; aside for wanting to teach them privately. What would you genuinely do different? Would you try to fast track them? College prep? Would you pick the lessons, or them pick what interested them?

Also I don't think saying we NEED more STEM majors says anything about our culture. The shit we have to do in the next 30-50 years is going to have a huge impact in how the world will be at the end of this century. Chemical Engineers, Theoretical physic, Aerospace Engineeers, and Engineers in general are going to be the brains that think to solve a lot of our problems. In just a few decades we will have to find a whole new fuel source for transportation, and in reality unless we find a way to implement LENR in the real world almost all of our fuel sources are the ones we will probably ever have. So we know what the problems/advantages of each are now; refining those fuel sources to be used another way/captured another way is going to be the only way we can maintain ourselves. Honestly once the world becomes more dependent on having an energy grid nonrenewable resources, even nuclear fission, will run out in time.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale, Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order