Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Invisibleresincoatedlungs
Brickweed Aficionado
 User Gallery

One can only dream...
    #657844 - 02/06/13 05:54 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Found this while browsing around HT, figured I'd share. :shrug:

Quote:

HEART OF DANKNESS
A Pot Crop Lives Now
by Dr. Dalat

Thu, Jun 16, 2005 12:23 pm

The story of a war-veteran helicopter pilot who never got higher than when he smoked the fabled Vietnamese strains while “in country.” Decades later, he seeks out these same plants to grow for himself at home and to smoke through his retirement.

Story & photos by Dr. Dalat

Thirty-two years ago, I was a 20-year-old fresh-faced and very naive young man sent to Southeast Asia by the US government—caught up, like so many of my generation, in the wide, sweeping net of the final military draft of the last century and sent to fight the war in Vietnam. As a helicopter pilot, I flew all over the central highlands of that country, circa 1969-71, and experienced much of the worst that man has to offer his fellow man, but also plenty of the best. One of my most remarkable memories was discovering a plantation of 30-foot-tall cannabis sativa trees in a very isolated province called Dalat.

Dalat at that time was way off the beaten path. Nestled between two mountain ranges at an altitude of around 4,500 feet and really only accessible from the air (I had a distinct advantage because of my air mobility), the region was rumored amongst the grunts to be the birthplace of Ho Chi Minh, North Vietnam’s spiritual and political leader, and therefore off limits to the enemy Viet Cong. The truth of the matter was, of course, quite different. In reality, the VC used Dalat for R&R (rest and relaxation) for their troops and therefore, quite wisely, refrained from initiating any action in and around the province. In effect, both sides considered it an unofficial “no-fire zone.”

While on one of my many fly-ins to Dalat City, I met the owner of the cannabis plantation—a wonderful older French gentleman who was always more than kind when it came to sharing his bounty. For our part, those of us in the helicopter crews kept him well stocked with much-needed and hard-to-get staples and supplies that we would scavenge from the various US base mess halls and supply depots that we visited regularly.

The best of the sativas came from the highland areas of Vietnam, places like Ban Me Thuot and Pleiku, and were similar to the highland Thai sativas in almost all respects. The very best of all were grown in the province of Dalat—cultivated for centuries by the indigenous tribes of mountain people known as Montagnards (although in their language, they refer to themselves as “Human Beings”), these crops produced without a doubt the most remarkable and mind-expanding herb I’ve ever experienced.

Keep in mind that the Montagnard people are an ancient culture, with no real written record—only stories passed down from generation to generation. I recall most vividly sitting amongst the tribal chieftains and listening to them chant stories about “the beginnings of time” and how cannabis had been with them forever to guide them on their spiritual journey of pantheism. They have two words in their language for cannabis. The first translates loosely as “Path to the Gods.” The second is used only if you smoke too much of this fine herb, and it describes the state of mind of someone who has done just that. It translates simply as “The Mind of God.”

For many of us who served the “Masters of War” in those days, Vietnamese pot became our path to sanity, our lifeline. It was a simple yet very effective way of maintaining peace of mind amidst the chaos of the conflict—an escape from the horrendous reality of our daily lives. From 1964 to 1974, thousands of US soldiers came home from the war carrying as much of this “boo” with them as possible—introducing the exotic smokes of Southeast Asia to the world at large, the seeds of which would provide the main genetic building blocks for many modern strains of cannabis. Ask anyone who came of age during that time, and you’ll notice a quick flash of the eyes as their mind recalls the experience of smoking “the jungle kind.” Though often ridiculed by younger generations as the quaint musings of aging hippies, the sad fact remains that most folks younger than 45 simply have never experienced the mind-bending high of the pure land-race sativa strains of Southeast Asia.

http://hightimes.com/grow/ddalat/1748

Anyone else here have/had parents/grandparents that used to LOVE to talk about the weed they had in Vietnam? Or maybe you were there? Makes me wanna buy a ticket now!

:fasted:

--------------------
Man Eater

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineFRACTALife
Rust Fuckin' Cohle
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Carcosa Flag
Re: One can only dream... [Re: resincoatedlungs]
    #657873 - 02/07/13 11:15 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

My dad doesn't smoke much, he'll eat one of my brownies or have a joint with a lady friend on a blue moon though, but pot makes his trip out too hard and he gets anxiety from it. In college he talked about the Thai stick he smoked and how it made him soooooop paranoid he just sat worried that people would think something bad if he went to go use the bathroom. :lol:

--------------------

InvisiblePhoenix420
4 the <3 of Dr00Gz
Female

Re: One can only dream... [Re: FRACTALife]
    #657915 - 02/07/13 02:52 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

My mom and a lot of her friends also talk about the thai stick, but she's never been to Vietnam.

OfflineGreenHorns
boulevardier
Male

Loc: funkytown Flag
Re: One can only dream... [Re: Phoenix420]
    #657934 - 02/07/13 03:41 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

iv only read stories. iv been looking though.

--------------------
wiggy wham wham wazzle

Invisibleresincoatedlungs
Brickweed Aficionado
 User Gallery

Re: One can only dream... [Re: GreenHorns]
    #657939 - 02/07/13 04:03 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

I've never heard of Thai stick. :shrug:

My grandpa used to tell me about the Vietnamese smoke, said that when you came across a plant, you'd look up and see about 100 more. He made it sound almost psychedelic. (Sativa :crazy2:)

He said in some places, once you could sneak off of the base, there were whorehouses/opium dens that you could go in and buy a 5 or 10 pack of pre-rolled joints, and an older woman there would charge either $5 or a pack of cigarettes to dip her finger in liquid opium and run it down your joint.

Then you grab your opijoints, women, and hit the private balconies!

--------------------
Man Eater

OfflineEyeSawJah
Rastafarian
Male User Gallery

Re: One can only dream... [Re: resincoatedlungs]
    #658010 - 02/08/13 11:06 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

My dad used to get Thai sticks in the mail, my current plants actually resemble Thai sticks, but idk wut they'll look like in a few weeks, could be different. And to resin lungs, everyone always thinks that the generation that is our grandparents and great grandparents was so "pure" and clean cut but then we get older and find out grandpa has done some crazy shit. Those days were all whore houses and morphine lol i didn't know wut to think when I found out my grandmother used to smoke, turns out grandpa did some time for being the radio guy in an operation between south Florida and Jamaica. I have quite the family line of stoners haha

InvisiblePhoenix420
4 the <3 of Dr00Gz
Female

Re: One can only dream... [Re: EyeSawJah]
    #658018 - 02/08/13 12:02 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Me 2, I only wish I lived in a state where it was even semi legal.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds