Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Offlinej0nnyb0y05
Sex, Nugs, And Rock N' Roll
Male

Re: help me figure out [Re: mentalIMAGE]
    #65215 - 06/24/08 01:14 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

im going just finished my AA in 2 1/2 years. I still didnt know what i wanted to do, but i decided to go with business ebcause the job outlook its good, money outlook isdecent, and there are a wide variety of jobs you can do, whether it be a ceo or helping the supply chain management of a medical marijuana clinic.

so if you like business ends of things, like possibly your a good salesman teehee, i just liked being that midding man. Finding products, and finding buyers, and uping the price a lil bit making my profit. So business sounded like the way to go for me.

just do some research on job outlooks for a couple career paths and decide from there. besides that, you will always have time in your life to go back to school to change somthing if you dont like it.

--------------------
"One Day, One World, One Love." 4/20   

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDoitagain
Smoothie therapist
Male User Gallery

Loc: i am everywhere and nowhe...
Re: help me figure out [Re: yellownotepad]
    #65219 - 06/24/08 01:38 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

yellownotepad said:
yeah general studies.  last semester i was enrolled in philosophy, macroeconomics, writing, and psychology.  i was thinking of pursuing a bachelor's in chemistry because i like the subject but i realized there was no money in the field and i dont like the jobs i would be doing with that degree.

is there really no money in chem?

--------------------
ltd said:
fgts just don't understand

keep the shit

Offlineyellownotepad
Pharmaceutical Agriculturalist
 User Gallery

Re: help me figure out [Re: Doitagain]
    #65250 - 06/24/08 03:44 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

i stopped going to school even though i liked all my classes because i just didnt see what the point was.  i wasnt really working towards anything i felt would be fun AND make me enough money to live..

my understanding with chemistry is chemistry there are not any decent paying jobs unless you have a masters or doctorate.  and even then....

as far as the GABA to GHB, its a multistep synth that involves going from GABA to GBL and then GBL to GHB.  or you can just use the GBL, some people prefer it.  the rxn is 100% otc surprisingly.

OfflineezKiel
All About the Haze
Male User Gallery

Re: help me figure out [Re: Toiletduk]
    #65271 - 06/24/08 05:58 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Toiletduk said:
Quote:

yellownotepad said:
i was doing the research on how to make GHB from GABA (nutritional supplement you can get anywhere).

Did you ever find out? If so, post it here.

Sandmeyer Reaction of GABA to GBL/GHB
by Chromic

Quick introduction:
As other writeups that I have published, this method is 100% OTC. It is awesome for a chemist who wishes to prepare GHB in small quantities and high yields and to do so without directly obtaining any regulated chemicals such as gamma-butyrolactone (GBL) or 1,4-butanediol (BDO). It also avoids the typically low yields seen from the oxidation of tetrahydrofuran (THF). It uses an easy to obtain amino acid, gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA), and sodium nitrite (NaNO2). It scales very nicely and runs without too much hassle. Not one suspect chemical is used.

The Sandmeyer reaction uses nitrous acid to turn amines into diazonium salts. This reaction, as it applies to turning GABA into GHB, is shown in the first reaction below. Aliphatic diazonium salts rapidly undergo hydrolysis in the presence of water giving off nitrogen gas and leaving a hydroxyl group behind. This is shown in the second step. As a result of these reactions, GABA can be turned into GHB in an easy to perform one-pot reaction.

Running the reaction:
Set up a 2L flask, sitting in ice-water on top of a magnetic stirrer. Now:

Add 3mol GABA (309.4g)
Add 3mol NaNO2 (207.0g)
Add 700ml water (total volume becomes about 1100ml)
Drop in a 1" stir bar and start stirring
Charge a 500ml pressure equalized addition funnel with 3.3mol HCl(aq) (385.0g 31.25%, 334.8ml 31.25%)
Fit the addition funnel with a gas outlet adapter and vent to theoutside
Begin slowly dripping the hydrochloric acid into the mixture. Drip it in at a constant rate of about 1 drop every 2-5 seconds. Speed it up as time progresses and replace the ice as necessary, but do not allow the evolution of the brown poisonous gas to become vigorous. After about one hour after the last drop of acid has been added, there is no need to replace the ice. Once the reaction is done, proceed to extract. (usually 24-36 hours later)

Extracting the goods:
There are many options for this. This is still a work in progress, but after about 20 runs, I came to use this work up. You can use ethyl acetate (EtOAc), chloroform or methylene chloride (dichloromethane aka DCM) to perform the solvent extractions. I have normally used DCM as it's nice since the organic layer drops to the bottom of the separatory funnel.

Setup for a simple distillation.
Distill, throwing out the first 5-10mls, or so, of distillate as it will contain a fair amount of nitric oxides. Distill off as much water as possible, basically until the sodium chloride starts to saturate the aqueous layer and precipitate out.
The remainder of the distillate (approximately 700ml) will contain approximately 1g GBL/10ml.
Treat the remainder of the distillate with NaHCO3 at reflux for 30 mins
Boil with about a 5% volume of activated charcoal (ie 35ml activated charcoal) (compared to the volume of the solution) for 5-10mins.
Allow it to cool and filter, wash the charcoal with distilled water. Save the NaGHB.
With the remainder of the aqueous, extract 5 times with 625ml portions of DCM.
Distill off the DCM (reuse that DCM!).
Distill the GBL (under vacuum if available).
React with NaHCO3 and distilled water and treat with activated charcoal as before.
Typically 375g of NaGHB is made from the solvent extracted GBL and 100g NaGHB from the aqueous distillate. Although conversion is nearly quantitative (as measured by GC/MS), the overall recovered yield is usually about 70%.

For those who don't know how to make NaGHB from GBL using NaHCO3 please read the section on preparation of Sodium GHB using Sodium Bicarbonate (Baking Soda, NaHCO3) found in the GHB faq. Never use unknown grades of NaOH--they may contain toxic heavy metal contaminants.

Notes on procedure:
1M NaNO2/GABA, as the French ref states is far, far too much water. You don't need it. I don't use that much.

It's possible to reduce the water further, down to the minimum necessary to dissolve the NaCl formed, thus avoiding the distillation of the aqueous layer. The trouble with this is that it's not fully practical. All of the GABA/NaNO2 will not dissolve, and you'll see more of an evolution of nitric oxides. The amount of water used is just barely enough to dissolve all of the NaNO2 and GABA to begin with.

If you want to skip the simple distillation (steps 1a-e) and go straight to step 2 (the extraction with the organic solvent) make sure to increase your organic solvent amounts by about 20%. Your yields will go down slightly.

It's possible to used sulfuric acid, however Na2SO4 is not as soluble as NaCl is, mole for mole. You'll need to use more water.

It's possible to use just a little bit less HCl, but hey, a slight excess is always a good idea.

It's possible to dump in a fair amount more HCl to try and push the GBL into the organic layer. It doesn't really work that well though. Yields don't go up.

It's possible to use chloroform or ethyl acetate instead of dcm. Diethyl ether will work as well. Do not try to use anything more nonpolar such as toluene, hexanes or the like. They won't extract much GBL.

Figuring out where the other 30%+ of the yield is going has been frustrating. Perhaps it is staying in the aqueous as free GHB. But do not consume the post-reaction aqueous layer!

The GBL produced from distillation has an putrid sour smell. This is likely trace quantities of butyric acid (the molecule responsible for the smell of rancid butter). It is not toxic in trace quantities and the off-smell and off-taste is cleared by treatment with activated charcoal.

The dose/response curve for NaGHB is exponential. 2g may be a nice buzz, 2.5g an amazing high, and at 3g a novice user could be violently ill, passed out and completely unresponsive. These doses are guidelines. Every person's response will vary. Chronic use of GHB will result in tolerance and physical addiction. Never mix with any other CNS depressants (especially alcohol).

References
Bull. Soc. Chim. Fr.; 1; 88-94 (1989)
GHB Letter to the Alabama Senate Committee on the Judiciary
Acknowledgements
Last, but surely not least, come the thank yous!

First, thank you to the girl who will always have a special place in my heart (and your determination in helping me with my struggles, especially my addiction to GHB and alcohol).

Thank you Rhodium for your hard-work and dedication to your site and the Hive in general. Thank you for pushing me to publish this document. A big round of applause for Steven Fowkes (even though you got your info wrong on MSG -> GBL in one step rxn), Fierceness, Moo, StraightEdge, hCiLdOdUeDn, Roundbottom, Osmium, Bright Star, Methyl Man, Dr_Sister, AB2, Aztec, Hypo, Ueruma, Ezekill, Terbium, Antoncho, Eleusis and Sasha Shulgin for raising my knowledge, awareness and inspiration.

Invisiblemaggotz

Re: help me figure out [Re: ezKiel]
    #65287 - 06/24/08 06:42 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

thanks.

OfflineBrugman
))<>((
Male

#65297 - 06/24/08 07:43 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

yellownotepad said:
i dont do any drugs/drink (not even weed)

I'm just curious, why would one register here if they don't smoke weed?

--------------------

Invisiblemel_lonta_tauda
Male User Gallery
Loc: the sun
Re: help me figure out [Re: Brugman]
    #65301 - 06/24/08 07:49 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

i was thinking the same thing  :sherlock:

Offlineyellownotepad
 User Gallery

Re: help me figure out [Re: mel_lonta_tauda]
    #65380 - 06/24/08 09:58 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

because i like making stuff! you dont have to smoke weed to grow weed :-)  i'm a shroomery member, so since i'm growing weed now i figured i should start hanging out on growery.  i dont smoke weed because i dont really enjoy being high except like once or twice a year.

Offlineyellownotepad
 User Gallery

#65381 - 06/24/08 09:59 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

and to add to that, if you go over to grow logs you can check out my grow

OfflineShpongle420
Re: help me figure out [Re: mentalIMAGE]
    #65401 - 06/24/08 10:24 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

legendary street pharmacist

Invisiblemel_lonta_tauda
Male User Gallery
Re: help me figure out [Re: Shpongle420]
    #65412 - 06/24/08 10:33 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

that's understandable.  when i started growing, i probably liked doing that more than smokin it.  haha.  props dude

Offlineyellownotepad
 User Gallery

#65505 - 06/24/08 11:57 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

i'll probably just give the stuff to my roommates or girlfriend or something to be honest.  if only growing weed was a viable profession...

Invisiblemel_lonta_tauda
Male User Gallery
    #65506 - 06/24/08 11:58 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

there's a school in san diego that teaches you to grow weed.  and of course there's a huuuge waiting list to attend  :lol:

OfflineMFDoom666
trash hoarder
Male User Gallery

Loc: emerica
    #65519 - 06/25/08 12:02 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

--------------------

FurrowedBrow said:

They should teach african engineering at the college level.  mcgyver 101

Harry_Ba11sach said:

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Edited by MFDoom666 (06/25/08 12:02 AM)

Offlineyellownotepad
 User Gallery

#65521 - 06/25/08 12:03 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

hmm well i think with some work experience and the internet you could accomplish a decent crop?  whats something that would be legal and along the lines of growing illicit drugs? lol

OfflineDoitagain
Smoothie therapist
Male User Gallery

Loc: i am everywhere and nowhe...
    #65532 - 06/25/08 12:06 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

yellownotepad said:
i'll probably just give the stuff to my roommates or girlfriend or something to be honest.  if only growing weed was a viable profession...

people love free nugs

--------------------
ltd said:
fgts just don't understand

keep the shit

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom