Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinechowdan
Stranger
 User Gallery

Building a small 1.2sqft cab out of a fishtank stand * 1
    #638790 - 09/29/12 01:29 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

This is a repost from ICMAG that i made. I dont have time to rewrite it. i plan on doing it but just not at the moment.

Hey guys!

Bear with me I have smoked some so it may not make total sense.

Anyways i am in the process of converting my fish tank base into a small 1sft (there a bouts) cab.

The base does not have a top so i took the corner piece off of my ikea L shaped desk (it was unused). It makes this piece of furniture perfect because it makes it appear as a small corner stand. It also is missing a small section in the back. I plan on adding a swinging door so i can lock the unit closed and create an almost complete airtight seal.

For the door I plan on adding a “lip” to the whole door so that when it shuts, and is locked closed it will create a somewhat of a seal. The way I will seal it is just adding the little foam strips you can buy for door jams and placing them where that lip is. I also plan on being able to lock this thing so none of my girlfriends can accidentally open it.

I am unsure on what I will be doing for ventilation still. I have ideas but am always open to suggestions. This is a big concern as I can’t have any smell around the box since I am living in a studio apartment. But my current plans for venting this guy is to build a nice little box hanging off of the left side (looking at the hole) to house my fan and carbon scrubber. This housing will have to have some sort of air muffling to prevent a lot of noise (thinking egg cartons). I have an air pump running 24/7 for my other fish tanks so I can have a low hum and make it not so obvious. I was thinking of building my own scrubber such as this one. I found while on google. I have been looking over blynx design though and was thinking I would pick up a very quiet bathroom fan(the one at HomeDepot was $13-$15 that I saw) and was thinking I could pop the grate that goes inside the bathroom and just cut a hole in the tank wall and mounting it that way. Then on the output side connect a diy scrubber.

I am planning to build a floor on the base to add a surface area the will allow air into the cab (will have 90deg elbows hanging through the floor base into the lower area. The walls of the cab I will add some slices into it to allow outside air in. The elbows will be pointed away from the air inlets so no light will be possible to see. Also the edges of the flooring will meet up flush to the walls of the cab. I am going to be using some fish tank silicone(maybe just a while caulking depending on price) to seal the floor base, the holes for the floor vents, and all other internal joints. This hopefully will take care of any possible light leak and also will create a nice sanitized environment. Also I will be caulking the outside where to “top” meets the fish tank base to help create an even better seal. I will also be getting some L brackets that people use to fasten bookshelf to walls. Hopefully this will create a secure but also removable top if need be.

For lighting I have got some y splitters and some socket to plug adapters. I have a multi tab laying around so I am going to stick 2x23w and 1x42wcfl. I plan on adding another 2x23w cfls to give this total of 134watts of CFLs power. The 23watt cfls are 2700k lights and will be used throughout the first grow. I still need to work on the exact mounting of the lights and such but for my photos I wanted to give an idea of what it will be like. I am still working on lighting and the way it should be mounted.
Open for suggestions on this as well.

So far that is all I can think of. I will be doing 99.9% of all the construction in the next coming weeks. Will take photos throughout the process and be posting on here for the world to seeJ. Since I live in a studio, things like drills, saws, and space is hard to come by.

--------------------
I am a legal patient in Washington. Everything i do and say on here is for personal gain.

- We live in a free country as long as you can follow the governments laws...-

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinechowdan
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Building a small 1.2sqft cab out of a fishtank stand [Re: chowdan] * 1
    #638791 - 09/29/12 01:32 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Hey guys thanks for all the replies. I have been trying to figure out what to do for venting. Ive got a 50cfm(I think, could be a 35cfm) bathroom fan that was $13 or so from HD.

so far my plan is to get off my lazy ass and rent a jigsaw. I plan on ripping this plywood I have to make a door. The door will be nearly at the top of the cab so I plan on mounting the fan to the door. I will then have some ducting wrap around the side the door is hanging on so I can easily open it without many problems. I think when the fan is connected to a scrubber, it wont be nearly as loud. That said if it is still too loud I will build a wooden crate around the fan which will be stuffed with shredded egg cartons. That will help buffer any major sounds and would be about as loud as my other fish tank pumps (3 filter that hob, and one canister with 2 air pumps - all run 24/7).

I am thinking instead of cutting a square out of the door I will cut a fairly large hole for the fan to draw from. This hole will then.be covered with something like a prefilter (possibly the filters used in a chimney).

This plus a scrubber should effectively put enough strain on the fan to slow it down to a nice quiet sound aswell as remove the heat.

I think I will be starting with only 2 x 23watt and 1 x 42. Then as I get further in the grow, if I feel I need more I can add more and do so until heat or space does not allow me.

I will add more phtotos when I can of my door with some drawings to give an idea of what im talkking about

- THOSE PHOTOS NEVER WERE TAKEN:( -

--------------------
I am a legal patient in Washington. Everything i do and say on here is for personal gain.

Offlinechowdan
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Building a small 1.2sqft cab out of a fishtank stand [Re: chowdan]
    #638793 - 09/29/12 01:36 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Hey everyone sorry for this post. Its a little messy...i know, but i have to go and wanted to get this out before i forgot. Will be back to make edits.

I finally have some updates on the build. Sorry its been a longgg time since i've been on.

On unemployment and now have time to build(Not for long though)

So here is what i have done so far. Ran into some issues but hoping the public here on IC can help

I mounted the door and fan. The fan is a bathroom fan mounted onto the door. I cut a hole in the door to allow venting which will go into a carbon scrubber(thinking homemade one unless someone can show a scrubber for 50cfm's).

The lights have yet to be properly mounted. Thinking im gonig to mount them last/ due to the fact that i think i will wire an extension cord onto the fan which will also supply the lighting.

Have some question on the mounting of the fan.

So i only have one side mounted which is holding the fan in place. I need to figure out how to mount the fan on the opposite side(where the exhaust is) so that it will draw from the box and not the exhaust holes.

So my plan was to mount brackets below that will hold it, but since the screws i was using werent holding in, what would you all recommend?

Have a look at the photos and see what you all think:

--------------------

Offlinechowdan
Stranger
 User Gallery

#638795 - 09/29/12 01:37 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

So apparently i can't edit posts. Didn't realize that otherwise i would have not posted.

Sorry for the jumbled posts.

So the issue i am running into is the fan is pulling away from the door on the exhaust side. This is giving me a problem because of the sole fact that the fan will not draw air through the cab, but rather just the outside environment (You can see this issue on the second last photo i posted).

Also when i push the fan flush to the door, the door is unable to open completely. THis is due to the exhaust hole. Not a big deal as the door can open enough that i'd be able to get in and work inside the box.

So what i have tried to do was mount a bracket on the door below the fan. Then i screwd the fan to the mounts(which had supports below them). The screws werent long enough and the wood is particle board so the thing just split in half. This was my original idea but so far it seems to have failed.

I am not sure what i will doo but im thinking if all else fails i might drill some holes into the door and fan frame, run a line through the holes and also through the fan and pull it tight(maybe ziptie it).

Once i figure out the fan issue i will be mounting some L-brackets onto the top to secure the top part to the cab.

I've siliconed the seams on the inside of the cab, but i am waiting to get this fan figured out and the top mounted before i silicone the top seam and the seam around the fan. Probably going to just use white caulking from HD.

I will also be spray painting the whole inside flat white. I started to spray as you can see but something came up right as i started and i had to leave.

Hope people are enjoying this build

--------------------

Offlinechowdan
Stranger
 User Gallery

#638796 - 09/29/12 01:38 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secrecy 
dude you could totally rock a 50w or 70w HPS cooltube vertical grow in there!
I plan on picking both a 70w and a 50w up. I am going to be experimenting with HPS, LED, and Plasma(maybe) after i get a few grows under my belt. For now the CFLs were cheaper investment than HPS. I will be rigging my CFL - 23w on each corner of the box with the 42w sitting inbetween two of the lights, possibly the two closest to the door (design similar to Blynx micro setup).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rouge 
So ya gonna put the fish tank back on top or what?
Fish tank will not be on top. Would love it to but common sense says electricity and water connect to each other very well. For this reason my tank will be sitting on top of the "table top". Also the heat from the cab might fuck with my water temps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisQ 
Try nuts and bolts rather than screws. Also, caulk or use Liquid Nails on the edges of the fan box right before seating it to the door to seal it up.
My main problem is figuring out a way to get the exhaust end mounted. The problem is the holes aren't pointed towards the door. This is the reason i mounted that piece on the opposite side. I wanted to do something similar to that on the exhaust side, but so far i have been unable to properly secure the wood to the door.

Any thoughts on this?

Plasma lighting seems to be very.....new. I found this plasma light that connects to a e27 light socket(the standard kind we use). It cost 130$ for the bulb and is a 50watts.

Heres the link to it: Plasma light

- Nearly done, new photos and new post to come:) -

--------------------

Offlinechowdan
Stranger
 User Gallery

#638809 - 09/29/12 02:42 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Well guys.

I am nearly done with the box. I figured out how to mount the back end of the fan. I noticed the fan had thes flaps that appeared to be made to fold out. So i screwed it down into the door through these flaps.

I still haven't painted the inside, but i mounted the light. I officially am now going to be running 3 x 23w(2700k), 2 x 23w(6500k), and one 42w(2700k), giving a total of 157 watts in the 1.2 sqft. Currently i am seeing temps of 82 degrees, which is about 7 degrees above room temps.

I am thinking since these temps are a bit above what i would consider good(75-80 degrees), i will be doing a DIY CO2 generator. Something simple and i have everything needed.
With all that said, i will continue on the box and what i need to do and what i have done.

I have mounted the fan fully to the door. i mounted a "lock" to keep the door closed which just is a little latch that goes into the underside of the table top sorta thing. I have also mounted the multi power tap to the underside of the table top and have connected the lights.
I still need to figure out where to put my intake vents. I am thinking placing some half inch holes on the back corner that is facing the wall and run some black tubing through the holes to block light leaks.
I also need to get some liquid nails or a dark silicone to seal up the outside of the box. I will be sealing the fans edges and holes in the fan case. I will also need to seal the seam that is between the table top and the cab. There is some light leak from that. I'll be sealing the inside of this seam and the outside of the seam.

I will also be getting some more L-brackets. I need 5 more so i can have two brackets on every side of the box, connected from the box to the table top. Right now i have electrical tape covering most of the seams around the fan to help create a seal. The reason i did this was because i wanted to figure out on average what the temps would be like to make sure the box would be successful.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies