Home | Community | Message Board

Royal Queen Seeds Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisibleappleorange
Rainbow Technician
 User Gallery

Loc: Reykjavík
Wanna Build My First Box
    #344117 - 01/09/10 04:01 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Grow Boxes and Cabs range from 1,000-2,000 dollars and I know I can build one myself for a fraction of that cost.

I've never done an indoor grow before, so things like lighting, intake/outtake fans are completely foreign to me. I am thinking of going with plywood for the material of the box, a base of about 2x2 feet and a height of around 4 feet.

I need as much help from you guys about anything concerning lighting, fans, controlling temperature, etc.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleTriptonic
Male

Loc: Flag
Re: Wanna Build My First Box [Re: appleorange]
    #344120 - 01/09/10 04:08 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Wanna Build My First Box [Re: Triptonic]
    #344154 - 01/09/10 05:09 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Grow Boxes and Cabs range from 1,000-2,000 dollars and I know I can build one myself for a fraction of that cost.

What in gods name are you talking about?  You can buy a sun hut for 200 bucks.

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

OfflineTheShroomJew23
The Chemist
Male

Re: Wanna Build My First Box [Re: coda]
    #344195 - 01/09/10 06:19 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Hey coda, I think he was talking about those rip off like plug and grow cabs that they have on the internet.

--------------------

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Wanna Build My First Box [Re: TheShroomJew23]
    #344260 - 01/09/10 07:36 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

oh, yah, they're a rip off.

--------------------

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Star Flag
    #344273 - 01/09/10 07:51 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

DIY

You won't regret it.

Plus you feel worthwhile when you are harvesting out of something that only cost you 30 bucks to build.  Or you could be lazy and buy a grow tent...

You decide, just DO NOT buy one of those pre-built growboxes.  They probably only cost 1 or two hundred to make those plug and grow setups.  :nonono:  1000% profits

--------------------
Don't criticize what you can't understand

OfflineTheShroomJew23
The Chemist
Male

Re: Wanna Build My First Box [Re: Inverted]
    #344297 - 01/09/10 08:12 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

I know this has nothing to do with this thread but

IM SMOKING A 3G BLOCK OF HASH, I HAVE THE OTHER 3G NETWORK

--------------------

OfflineLivinSublime
OG New Jack
Male

#345749 - 01/11/10 02:49 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

coda said:
Quote:

What in gods name are you talking about?  You can buy a sun hut for 200 bucks.

Hey coda wouldnt a sun hut be useless for odor control? I mean I do see the advantages of buying one, especially if your like me and have no DIY instincts.lol. Hoping I can get one built for me and just pay the materials and some labor.lol.

ALso man, what about security with a grow tent? I can imagine you wouldnt want to use a tent in an apartment.lol.

Peace man, plus if you know of anyone that builds these things let me know. Lovin the autoflowers dude.

--------------------
Ahh, Its Bootsy Baby.

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Wanna Build My First Box [Re: LivinSublime]
    #345800 - 01/11/10 05:43 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

If you set up the ventilation properly, have the right size filter, and a strong enough fan, odor would be very minimal if nothing at all.  You need to run the filter 24/7 though (but that holds true for any grow cab).

I don't really know anyone who constructs and sells grow rooms unless you're buying a tent or a grow box setup.  I wouldn't want anyone I didn't know coming into my place either.  Check out inverted's grow box.  It's really well done, looks like it just uses 2x4 (1x2?) for studs and plywood for covering.  A little paint and you could stick something like that in the corner of a room and have it go unnoticed.

As for using a tent in an apt....Yah, it's pretty noticable honestly.  The only thing you could say it was would be an extra wardrobe.  I used a 4x4 in my townhouse and it took up damn near half of my room (well the spot that was open anyways).  But my room was upstairs and I didn't let friends go up there unless they knew what I was doing (which was very few people).  Never had problems with my apt guys because they never did shit in my complex.

Long story short, if it makes you nervous or you think it can get you busted, don't do it!  Growing in rented housing is ALWAYS a risk.  I lived in my townhouse a full year to make sure I wouldn't have any surprise visits before I set up my first grow room.  Even then I was always nervous I would get hit with a surprise inspection or something would break and I'd have to let them in.  The paranoia will be something you have to live with, and like I said it's always risky to grow in an apt, but you can take steps to make it look as inconspicuous as possible.

--------------------

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Star Flag
    #346834 - 01/13/10 09:48 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Great post Coda.  I totally side with everything you said!

I actually just used some 2x4's for the frame, which I ripped down the middle to make them ~1.5"x1.5" Actual size, and 1/4" Sanded pine plywood for the covering.  Literally only cost me $30, but having the tools to cut and drill wood is also kinda imperative.  It can easily be done, you just need to get some motivation (I know I know it's tough).

--------------------
Don't criticize what you can't understand

OfflineLivinSublime
OG New Jack
Male

Re: Wanna Build My First Box [Re: Inverted]
    #346911 - 01/13/10 01:02 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Definately great info coda. You are a true lover of herb man. But definately have common sense. Seriously.
I would love to build my own, but I am definately a hydroponics person. So if anyone wants to make abit of cash let me know.lol.
But for real, I would definately live there awhile before I decided to start up.

You know man thats the problem with growers is that alot of them just throw caution to the wind, and when they get busted they try to hide behind laws that were actually made to incriminate them.

Matter a fact.....Imma start a post.lol.

--------------------
Ahh, Its Bootsy Baby.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck