Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinebm90191
New To Growery
 User Gallery

Adding more lighting 3 weeks before harvest
    #620162 - 04/25/12 03:52 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I know it wouldn't hurt to add more lights to my flowering room but I was wondering if anyone could explain to me the benefits of doing so.  My current grow can be referenced in my signature below check it out but to give you the quick run down right now I'm only running about 14k lumens worth of CFL's ..it was a project that was supposed to be abandoned but I decided to just let it ride with cheap floros and its coming along very nicely.  Now my question is what are the rewards-costs of adding more light to the flower room?  Obviously the cost would be the money if I want to sink another 50$ or so for more CFLs or even 100$ to get an HPS, but with only 3 weeks or so left of flowering is this going to cause any significant growth in the buds?  Hairs are about 10-15% amber already.  Just wanted to get some opinions if what I put in at this point will significantly affect what I get out.  THanks guys!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Adding more lighting 3 weeks before harvest [Re: bm90191]
    #620179 - 04/25/12 05:22 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

At this point adding more light want make a HUGE difference.  But it would make some.

I say just save your money and upgrade your next grow.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

Offlinebm90191
New To Growery
 User Gallery

Re: Adding more lighting 3 weeks before harvest [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #620187 - 04/25/12 06:08 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Yeah thats what I was thinking maybe just add another cfl or two try to hang them lower in the canopy ...but I also just manicured the bottom 6 inches of my 3 plants I just cut off all the fan leaves and bud sites that were pretty much microscopic I read that by doing that it allows the plant more energy to utilize on the upper bud sites...is this true hawk?

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #620189 - 04/25/12 06:13 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

There's a lot of debate about that.  I always leave it.  More material for hash making later in my experience.  I've never noticed an increase in weight of the top colas when experimenting with trimming the lower stuff off.

--------------------

-niteowl

Offlinebm90191
New To Growery
 User Gallery

#620192 - 04/25/12 07:05 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Hmm really?  Hawk i have a somewhat unrelated question but was debating about this with a friend the other day...does light (type and intensity) actually have an effect on potency?  Will my harvest be less potent with a CFL grow than it would have been using an HPS?  I always thought higher intensity lights just produced a far greater yield but my buddy was trying to tell me the HIDs also increase the potency of the bud too, is this true?  I always figured the primary thing was genes, followed by nutrients...never really thought the intensity of light could be a factor...hmmm :confused:

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #620195 - 04/25/12 07:49 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Genetics, the proper amount of nutrients without burning them, proper air flow, and light all play factor in how potent your buds are going to be, as well as yield.

I would think that more light may help produce slightly more potent buds, but I'm not really sure in all honesty.

--------------------

-niteowl

Offlinebm90191
New To Growery
 User Gallery

#620200 - 04/25/12 08:35 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

yeah i hear ya brotha

InvisibleNanook
I CANT SEE
Male

Loc: The Frozen Tundra Flag
    #620456 - 04/27/12 12:55 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I've gathered that more UVB radiation makes for more potent buds by increasing trich production. It won't make your trichomes any better, just stimulate to growth of them.

HPS bulbs are really well shielded and don't emit much UV radiation. Obviously we can grow awesome, potent bud under HPS alone. MH bulbs, however, emit much more UV and plants flowered under them tend to be a bit moure voluminous on the trichs while having smaller buds with more leaf. You can literally feel the UV from a MH bulb, it will feel warmer than the HPS when you put your hand near it and they tend to hurt my eyes a little (even a 600W MH seems brighter than a 1000W HPS because of the extra UV radiation felt in the eyes).

Ceramic MH or CMH bulbs are supposed to offer the best in terms of potency but still increase leaf production.

UVB reptile lights have been used by many to supplement HPS.

If you're just using CFL's, add some UVB reptile fluorescents and that should make a nice difference.

I, myself, like to use HPS and MH at about 3:1

I think adding more light only hurts when you start to bleach your plants, which takes lots of light. Increasing the overall spectrum and UV content of your lights, in my opinion, is always good as long as you don't bleach/burn your plants.

--------------------

the spirit of Nanook

1400W 1st log

3000W 2nd log (current)

Offlinebm90191
New To Growery
 User Gallery

Re: Adding more lighting 3 weeks before harvest [Re: Nanook]
    #620473 - 04/27/12 02:31 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

what is a ceramic mh ...is that what u mean by cmh?  is there a difference btw those and regular mh

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #620485 - 04/27/12 04:29 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Nanook said:
I've gathered that more UVB radiation makes for more potent buds by increasing trich production. It won't make your trichomes any better, just stimulate to growth of them.

HPS bulbs are really well shielded and don't emit much UV radiation. Obviously we can grow awesome, potent bud under HPS alone. MH bulbs, however, emit much more UV and plants flowered under them tend to be a bit moure voluminous on the trichs while having smaller buds with more leaf. You can literally feel the UV from a MH bulb, it will feel warmer than the HPS when you put your hand near it and they tend to hurt my eyes a little (even a 600W MH seems brighter than a 1000W HPS because of the extra UV radiation felt in the eyes).

Ceramic MH or CMH bulbs are supposed to offer the best in terms of potency but still increase leaf production.

UVB reptile lights have been used by many to supplement HPS.

If you're just using CFL's, add some UVB reptile fluorescents and that should make a nice difference.

I, myself, like to use HPS and MH at about 3:1

I think adding more light only hurts when you start to bleach your plants, which takes lots of light. Increasing the overall spectrum and UV content of your lights, in my opinion, is always good as long as you don't bleach/burn your plants.

While Trichs to contain THC, and more trichs will increase the potency slightly.  The majority of active chemicals that you are smoking are contained withing the bud. 

That being said obviously more light is better.  And I used to run MH with my HPS.  Since then I have switched to straight HPS.  With Black Lights to add more UV

--------------------

-niteowl

Offlinebm90191
New To Growery
 User Gallery

#620492 - 04/27/12 04:55 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

what is a Ceramic Metal Halide though?  is there a difference?

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #620494 - 04/27/12 05:03 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal-halide_lamp

It appears to be a type of metal halide that has a slightly different construction that stabilizes the color spectrum through the life of the bulb.  I would assume most grow quality lights are of this type of construction, but I'm not sure of this.

--------------------

-niteowl

InvisibleNanook
I CANT SEE
Male

#621187 - 05/02/12 10:44 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

WIKI

This liknk is to a nice site with videos I will post below and graphs and shit, as well as pertinent information regarding energy usage and more graphs and shit.

This video mostly explains the physical differences between HPS, MH and CMH:

The left is the Philips Master Color CMH (they call it HPS-Retro White) and the right is HPS:

I have never used one of these CMH bulbs, but they seem freaking awesome :carl:

--------------------

the spirit of Nanook

1400W 1st log

3000W 2nd log (current)

Offlinebm90191
New To Growery
 User Gallery

#621226 - 05/03/12 09:28 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

idk man I just looked up that cmh and the 400 watt is the biggest one they make and that only puts out around 30,000 lumens where a solarmax 400watt hps puts out 55,000 lumens.  I don't think it would be as effective as an HPS.

InvisibleNanook
I CANT SEE
Male

#621351 - 05/04/12 02:10 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

From what I'm reading on other forums, CMH won't yield as much as HPS but will provide more abundant trichome production. They also run relatively cool and so are easier to manage from a ventilation point of view.

I would say they probably are best as supplemental lighting for HPS.

--------------------

the spirit of Nanook

1400W 1st log

3000W 2nd log (current)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies