Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinegumba391
Stranger

Root problems (Pictures & Questions!) HELP!
    #610250 - 02/22/12 10:18 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Hopefully someone out there can help me with identifying an odd growth on the roots of a flowering lady I'm trying to save from an untimely Death! The sponge like object,is blocking her roots right in the net cup (hydro-drip system) The " Thing" is packed tightly in it's net cup, keeping her roots only 1/2" long (looks like a porcupine), really they should be hanging in the nutrient tub by now.She is 4 weeks into flower 12/12, with maturing buds and yellowing leaves ANY HELP would be greatly appreciated .I'm a first time poster! (working on pics).

PICS BELOW.

EDIT: The plant with the shortest roots is yellowing on the leaves and it is obviously suffering from some type of issue. Lack of nutrients? Whats up?!

Edited by gumba391 (02/23/12 08:54 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMiscusi
Grade 10
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Sunnyvale Trailer Park, C... Flag
Re: Root problems [Re: gumba391]
    #610251 - 02/22/12 10:45 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Ima soil grower, So I am unsure, I know there are a few experience hydro growers around tho, Be patient you will get your answer.  try and get a picture of the "thing" in question.  It will help us help you.

--------------------

"You cant arrest me, im high I cant understand my rights!"

Nanook said:
" People learn differently. Some can observe and gather what they need, others need to do it and experience all the options. One of those options being: burning down a mini fridge. "

Anything posted by me related to cultivation or illegal activities is purely fictional. It is intended for educational or entertainment purposes only.

Please help support the fight for Medical Marijuana in Florida

Offlines0ndmond
Action Bastard'd

Re: Root problems [Re: Miscusi]
    #610252 - 02/22/12 10:54 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

get some hydrogen peroxide and pour it all over the roots where the thing is... post results

:popcorn:

Offlinephrostbyte
Hydro Grower

Re: Root problems [Re: s0ndmond]
    #610284 - 02/23/12 01:10 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Pics would help a bunch!

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Root problems [Re: phrostbyte]
    #610301 - 02/23/12 09:32 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah, I grew with DWC for quite awhile.  But I need to see a pic of what's going on.  Is this happening with any of the other plants?  Are you using any type of fungi product like sub-culture?

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

Offlinegumba391
Stranger

Re: Root problems [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #610408 - 02/23/12 08:51 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Alright, here are some pictures of how the plants are looking so far and my root problems.. 1-5 are bud shots, 6&7 show the deficiency in the leaves?, the rest are of the roots, as you can see one of the plants successfully dropped and the rest look very short and almost sponge like.. WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON?

Thanks for any information guys...

gumba391

EDIT: could hydrogen peroxide ruin anything? i feel very, very nervous to do something drastic like that.

Edited by gumba391 (02/23/12 08:56 PM)

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #610409 - 02/23/12 08:57 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Man You might have to abort those guys.  It looks like you either have some sort of bad bacterial infection or virus or something.  I'm not sure exactly what's going on there man.

--------------------

-niteowl

OfflineMiscusi
Grade 10
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #610411 - 02/23/12 08:59 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

WHAT

THE

FUCK

IS

THAT!? 

Wow dude I have NEVER seen anything like that,  good luck :shock:

--------------------

Nanook said:
" People learn differently. Some can observe and gather what they need, others need to do it and experience all the options. One of those options being: burning down a mini fridge. "

Anything posted by me related to cultivation or illegal activities is purely fictional. It is intended for educational or entertainment purposes only.

InvisibleStonethM
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Male User Gallery

Loc: No where ville, USA Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #610413 - 02/23/12 09:11 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

gumba391 said:
Alright, here are some pictures of how the plants are looking so far and my root problems.. 1-5 are bud shots, 6&7 show the deficiency in the leaves?, the rest are of the roots, as you can see one of the plants successfully dropped and the rest look very short and almost sponge like.. WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON?

gumba391

EDIT: could hydrogen peroxide ruin anything? i feel very, very nervous to do something drastic like that.

Have you tried flushing the shit out of them?
Could be some weird stain from nutes.
Could be some kind of root rot.  Is there a noticible smell coming from the root?
Some people swear by hydrogen Peroxide, I myself have never used it.

--------------------
:getstoned:

Offlinegumba391
Stranger

Re: Root problems [Re: Stoneth]
    #610415 - 02/23/12 09:19 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

No smell but I just saw like two fruit flies. Please fucking help lol.

WHATDOIDO.  Flies are only in the hydro chamber.

Peroxide maybe? I don't know about flushing either. Wtf is going on! I've never seen it before either

Offlinegumba391
Stranger

#610417 - 02/23/12 09:26 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Fuck it. Peroxide it is. Will let you know what happens....

OfflineMiscusi
Grade 10
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #610419 - 02/23/12 09:32 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Try the pero
Quote:

gumba391 said:
Fuck it. Peroxide it is. Will let you know what happens....

at this point bro peroxide cant hurt..

--------------------

Nanook said:

Offlinephrostbyte
Hydro Grower

#610423 - 02/23/12 10:05 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

gumba391 said:

gumba391

This is very strange.  The sponge like substance to me look like they are the roots but they have brown slime algae.  This is a bubbleponics dwc system correct?  Were these plants originally planted in Rockwool cubes?  It also looks like you packed the hydroton in very tight in the net pots. 

There are a few things I see here that are not good at all. 

#1 the leaf in your res should not be in your res.

#2 the green slime on the side of your res in the picture should not be there.  You need to clean your res badly it is gross!  There is slime all over your tubes and the wall sides. 

#3 your water level should be much higher.  I would say 3 - 4 inches from the net pots.  I feel like the roots aren't dropping cause the bubbles popping aren't reaching the roots themselves.  I realize you have the drip system but the popping bubbles should still be able to hit the roots until the plants roots drop into the water.  Then you can lower the water lvl if you want.

#4 once the roots hit the water and as long as you have bubbles in your water constant there is no longer a need for the drip system.

They are on week 4 of flower ans still flowering so I feel that it can probably be saved.

What I would do:

1st.  Clean the SHIT out of the rez!!  literally take it out use lysol scrub it down make it squeeky clean.  Also clean your hoses and your pump!  Slime and green in the res is ALWAYS a bad thing in dwc.

2nd.  I would fill the res with Ph 5.7-5.8 water until its about 3 inches from the roots.  I would let them flush for at least 2 days.  I would also spray down the roots with ph water.  And also try to get any gunk off the bottom of the net pots.

3rd  After the 2 days I would empty and re fill the res with cold clean ph 5.8 water and add food.

4th I would not use H202 at this point in the grow. Though it seems you might have already.

Edited by phrostbyte (02/23/12 10:05 PM)

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Root problems [Re: Miscusi]
    #610424 - 02/23/12 10:06 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

http://www.physan.com/

This takes care of almost all hydro problems that are bacteria or virus or fungi related

--------------------

-niteowl

InvisibleStonethM
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Male User Gallery

Loc: No where ville, USA Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #610425 - 02/23/12 10:06 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

gumba391 said:
No smell but I just saw like two fruit flies. Please fucking help lol.

WHATDOIDO.  Flies are only in the hydro chamber.

Peroxide maybe? I don't know about flushing either. Wtf is going on! I've never seen it before either

What nutrents are you using?
What is the temp of the water in your res?
As for flushing poor straight plain water through the root zone, a few gallons per plant.
It's not to unusual for leaves to start to yellow in the fourth week of flowering btw.

--------------------
:getstoned:

Offlinekyuzo
Stranger Than Fiction

Re: Root problems [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #610436 - 02/24/12 12:24 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I actually think bleach (good'ol clorox) works better than physan

Offlinekyuzo
Stranger Than Fiction

#610437 - 02/24/12 12:27 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

phrostbyte said:4th I would not use H202 at this point in the grow. Though it seems you might have already.

what is the particular reason behind this?

OfflineMiscusi
Grade 10
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Root problems [Re: kyuzo]
    #610439 - 02/24/12 12:45 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

kyuzo said:
Quote:

phrostbyte said:4th I would not use H202 at this point in the grow. Though it seems you might have already.

--------------------

Nanook said:

Offlinephrostbyte
Hydro Grower

Re: Root problems [Re: kyuzo]
    #610441 - 02/24/12 01:15 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

kyuzo said:
Quote:

I personally try to avoid putting h2o2 on the roots of my plants.  I would try what I had stated above first.  Then if it was still a problem try it.

Edited by phrostbyte (02/24/12 01:20 AM)

OfflineMiscusi
Grade 10
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #610455 - 02/24/12 09:46 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

phrostbyte said:
I personally try to avoid putting h2o2 on the roots of my plants.  I would try what I had stated above first.  Then if it was still a problem try it.

Yea, you may prefer not to, but honestly there is no harm in it. It is used in horticulture everyday..  To each there own tho! :smile:

http://www.quickgrow.com/gardening_articles/hydrogen_peroxide_horticulture.html

Quote:

Hydrogen Peroxide and Horticulture
By Bryce Fredrickson

Hydrogen Peroxide (H2O2) is a clear sharp smelling substance very similar in appearance to water (H2O). Like water it is made up of Hydrogen and Oxygen, however H2O2 has an extra Oxygen atom in an unstable arrangement. It is this extra atom that gives H2O2 its useful properties. H2O2 has been used for many purposes including cleaning, bleaching, sterilizing, rocket fuel, animal feed treatment and in addition many miraculous claims about its health benefits have been made. This article isn't about any of these; instead it will concentrate on horticultural applications. H2O2 is of great use for both hydroponics and dirt/soilless gardening.

1. What Does Hydrogen Peroxide do?
H2O2 is an unstable molecule, when it breaks down a single oxygen atom and a molecule of water is released. This oxygen atom is extremely reactive and will attach itself to either another O- atom forming a stable Oxygen molecule or attack a nearby organic molecule. Both the stable and O- forms will increase the level of dissolved oxygen. This is the method by which H2O2 is beneficial. Pretreating the water supply with H2O2 will drive out the Chlorine many cities use to sterilize it. This will also degrade any pesticides or herbicides that might be present as well as any other organic matter. Well water can be high in methane and organic sulfates, both of which H2O2 will remove. Many disease causing organisms and spores are killed by Oxygen, the free Oxygen H2O2 releases is extremely effective at this. H2O2 will help eliminate existing infections and will help prevent future ones. It is also useful for suppressing algae growth. The free Oxygen atom will destroy dead organic material (i.e, leaves roots) in the system preventing them from rotting and spreading diseases.

2.Over Watering
Roots require Oxygen to breathe and low levels are the main cause of almost all root diseases. Both soil and hydroponic plants often fall prey to the same syndrome although it is rarely recognized as what it really is. Hydroponic crops often fail due to "root rot" and soil crops succumb to "over watering." The real cause of both these problems is a shortage of Oxygen at the root zone. In a soil system the soil consists of particles, a film of water on the particles and air spaces between the particles. When too much water is put into the soil the air spaces fill with liquid. The roots will quickly use up what Oxygen is dissolved in the water, if they haven't drunk enough of the liquid to allow air back in to the soil spaces they will stop working. In this situation roots will start dying within twenty-four hours. As the roots die the plants ability to drink water and nutrients will decrease, this will cause symptoms of nutrient deficiencies (mostly pale, slow, weak growth), and strangely they will start to wilt like they don't have enough water. It is easy to make a fatal mistake at this point and add more water.

In a Hydroponic system the cause is a more direct simple lack of oxygen in the solution, this may be from inadequate circulation and/or aeration. High reservoir temperatures also interfere with Oxygen's ability to dissolve in the water. Temperatures above 70F (20C) will eventually cause problems, 62F-65F (16C-18C) is recommended. The same symptoms will appear as with soil plants but you can also check the roots. Healthy roots should be mostly white with maybe a slight yellowish tan tinge. If they are a brownish colour with dead tips or they easily pull away there is at least the beginnings of a serious problem. An organic dirtlike rotting smell means there is already a very good chance it is too late. As roots die and rot they eat Oxygen out of the water, as Oxygen levels are even further depleted more roots die, a viscius circle may be well under way. Reduced Oxygen levels and high temperatures both encourage anaerobic bacteria and fungi. The plants may still be saved but you will have to work fast.

3. How Hydrogen Peroxide prevents root rot/overwatering.
When plants are watered with H2O2 it will break down and release Oxygen into the area around the roots. This helps stop the Oxygen from being depleted in the water filled air spaces until air can get back into them. High Oxygen levels at the roots will encourage rapid healthy root growth. In a Hydroponic system H2O2 will disperse through out the system and raise Oxygen levels as it breaks down. Strong white healthy roots with lots of fuzzy new growth will be visible. This fuzzy growth has massive surface area allowing for rapid absorption of the huge amounts of water and nutrients needed for rapid top growth. A healthy plant starts with a healthy root system.

4. How to use it.
H2O2 comes in several different strengths 3%, 5%, 8% and 35%, also sold as food grade Hydrogen Peroxide. The most economical is 35% which we recommend be diluted to three percent before using, as at this high concentration it can cause damage to skin and clothing. When working with food grade H2O2 it is very important that you clean up any spills or splashes immediately, it will damage almost anything very quickly. This is extra important with skin and clothing. Skin will be temporarily bleached pure white if not washed cleaned. Gloves are strongly recommended when working with any strong chemical.

Food grade H2O2 can be diluted to three percent by mixing it one part to eleven parts water (preferably distilled). The storage container should be opaque to prevent light from getting in and it must be able to hold some pressure. If three-liter pop bottles are available in your area they are ideal for mixing and storing H2O2. There are twelve quarter liters (250ml) in three liters, if you put in one quarter liter H2O2 and eleven quarter liters (250ml) water in the bottle it will full of three percent H2O2 and the bottle can hold the pressure that the H2O2 will generate. Three percent Hydrogen Peroxide may be added at up to three ml's per liter (2 1\2 tsp. Per gallon), but it is recommended that you start at a lower concentration and increase to full strength over a few weeks. Use every watering even on fresh cuttings. For hydroponics use every reservoir change and replace twenty-five percent (one quarter) every day. Example: In a 100L reservoir you would add three hundred ml's (3%) H2O2 when changing the nutrient. You would then add seventy-five ml's more every day.

5. Where to get it.
35% food grade: called food grade because it has no toxic impurities
Of course your local hydroponics retailer, whom you can locate over the web at www.hydromall.com. Direct order off the web (there may be shipping restrictions on high strength peroxides). H2O2 is used to bleach hair so the local hairdresser may have a source. The local feed supplier may have it in small towns. Prices range from fifteen dollars per quarter liter to eighty dollars a gallon. One gallon will treat up to fifty thousand liters of water.

3%5%, 8%
Can be found at most drugstores or pharmacies, prices start at a less than a dollar for a one hundred-ml bottle that will treat one hundred liters.

6. What to do if you already have root rot.

In Dirt:
Use peroxided water with anti-fungicide (benomyl) and a high Phosphate fertilizer (9-45-15, 10-52-10, 0-60-0) for root growth. Root booster (5-15-5) or any other product with rooting hormone dissolved in it is helpful in regrowing roots and is strongly recommended. If a plant is wilty adding Nutri-Boost may save it. Water heavily until liquid pours out the bottom of the pot. This sound like bad idea, but it flushes out stagnant dead water and replaces it with fresh highly oxygenated water. Don't let plants sit in trays full of water, the soil will absorb this water and stay too wet. Don't water again until the pot feels light and the top inch or two of the soil are dry.

In Hydro:
Change your nutrients. Add H2O2 to the system. This will add oxygen and chemically eat dead roots. If roots are badly rotted and can be pulled away by hand you should pull them off. They are already dead and will only rot, causing further problems. Add a fungicide to kill any fungus that is probably present in the rotted tissue to prevent it from spreading. Root booster will speed recovery. If plants are wilty Nutri-Boost may help save them. Increase aeration of the water, get an airpump and air stones, or more of them, for the reservoir. An air stone under every plant is usually very effective, but will require a larger air pump. Models that will do from forty to four hundred stones are available. Decrease the reservoir temperature, oxygen dissolves better in cold water and disease causing organisms reproduce slower as well. A good temperate range is 62F to 65F; anything above 70F will eventually cause a problem. It is also a good idea to remove any wilty plants from the system and put them on a separate reservoir so they don't infect plants that are still healthy.

Summary
The key to big productive plants is a big healthy root system and Hydrogen Peroxide is a great way to keep your roots healthy. It is a must to ensure the biggest best crops possible and to increase the chances of your plants thriving to harvest. Peroxide users will rarely lose plants or crops to root disease and will harvest larger and more consistent crops.

--------------------

Nanook said:

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds