Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinebudnectar
Planetary Citizen
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Mars
World's oldest marijuana stash
    #610349 - 02/23/12 03:28 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Nearly two pounds of still-green plant material found in a 2,700-year-old grave in the Gobi Desert has just been identified as the world's oldest marijuana stash, according to a paper in the latest issue of the Journal of Experimental Botany.
A barrage of tests proves the marijuana possessed potent psychoactive properties and casts doubt on the theory that the ancients only grew the plant for hemp in order to make clothing, rope and other objects.
They apparently were getting high too.
Lead author Ethan Russo told Discovery News that the marijuana "is quite similar" to what's grown today.
"We know from both the chemical analysis and genetics that it could produce THC (tetrahydrocannabinolic acid synthase, the main psychoactive chemical in the plant)," he explained, adding that no one could feel its effects today, due to decomposition over the millennia.
Russo served as a visiting professor at the Chinese Academy of Sciences Institute of Botany while conducting the study. He and his international team analyzed the cannabis, which was excavated at the Yanghai Tombs near Turpan, China. It was found lightly pounded in a wooden bowl in a leather basket near the head of a blue-eyed Caucasian man who died when he was about 45.
"This individual was buried with an unusual number of high value, rare items," Russo said, mentioning that the objects included a make-up bag, bridles, pots, archery equipment and a kongou harp. The researchers believe the individual was a shaman from the Gushi people, who spoke a now-extinct language called Tocharian that was similar to Celtic.

Scientists originally thought the plant material in the grave was coriander, but microscopic botanical analysis of the bowl contents, along with genetic testing, revealed that it was cannabis.
Weird science award winnersThe size of seeds mixed in with the leaves, along with their color and other characteristics, indicate the marijuana came from a cultivated strain. Before the burial, someone had carefully picked out all of the male plant parts, which are less psychoactive, so Russo and his team believe there is little doubt as to why the cannabis was grown.
What is in question, however, is how the marijuana was administered, since no pipes or other objects associated with smoking were found in the grave.
"Perhaps it was ingested orally," Russo said. "It might also have been fumigated, as the Scythian tribes to the north did subsequently."
Although other cultures in the area used hemp to make various goods as early as 7,000 years ago, additional tomb finds indicate the Gushi fabricated their clothing from wool and made their rope out of reed fibers. The scientists are unsure if the marijuana was grown for more spiritual or medical purposes, but it's evident that the blue-eyed man was buried with a lot of it.
"As with other grave goods, it was traditional to place items needed for the afterlife in the tomb with the departed," Russo said.
The ancient marijuana stash is now housed at Turpan Museum in China. In the future, Russo hopes to conduct further research at the Yanghai site, which has 2,000 other tombs.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28034925/ns/technology_and_science-science/t/worlds-oldest-marijuana-stash-totally-busted/?fb_ref=.T0VmXxsdLUO.like&fb_source=home_oneline#.T0a8IvGPUrX

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMiscusi
Grade 10
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Sunnyvale Trailer Park, C... Flag
Re: World's oldest marijuana stash [Re: budnectar]
    #610350 - 02/23/12 03:29 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

2700 years?  Ahahaha.. thats some moldy pot..

--------------------

"You cant arrest me, im high I cant understand my rights!"

Nanook said:
" People learn differently. Some can observe and gather what they need, others need to do it and experience all the options. One of those options being: burning down a mini fridge. "

Anything posted by me related to cultivation or illegal activities is purely fictional. It is intended for educational or entertainment purposes only.

Please help support the fight for Medical Marijuana in Florida

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Re: World's oldest marijuana stash [Re: Miscusi]
    #610382 - 02/23/12 07:01 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

That'd be awesome if the seeds were still viable.  Get some REAL old school genetics.

Gobi desert, doubt there was mold.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

OfflineMiscusi
Grade 10
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: World's oldest marijuana stash [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #610391 - 02/23/12 07:15 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

hawksapprentice said:
That'd be awesome if the seeds were still viable.  Get some REAL old school genetics.

Gobi desert, doubt there was mold.

In the gorund in a damp dark casket?  eve in the desert its damp under the ground, but maybe not, you may be right.

--------------------

Nanook said:
" People learn differently. Some can observe and gather what they need, others need to do it and experience all the options. One of those options being: burning down a mini fridge. "

Anything posted by me related to cultivation or illegal activities is purely fictional. It is intended for educational or entertainment purposes only.

User Gallery

#610393 - 02/23/12 07:57 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Those seeds man, those seeds......

--------------------

-niteowl

OfflineMiscusi
Grade 10
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #610400 - 02/23/12 08:29 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

hawksapprentice said:
Those seeds man, those seeds......

I know, I want some...

If only we could get out hands on them.

--------------------

Nanook said:

InvisibleP-O

#610615 - 02/25/12 07:16 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

it would be neat to work with that strain...

and to smoke that smoke!

OfflineFRACTALife
Rust Fuckin' Cohle
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Carcosa Flag
    #610745 - 02/27/12 01:00 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

That shaman's spirit lives in that strain. If anyone were to grow those seeds and smoke it they will be visited by his ghost like in How High.

--------------------

User Gallery

Re: World's oldest marijuana stash [Re: FRACTALife]
    #610775 - 02/27/12 06:54 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Too bad I wouldn't be able to speak his language.

--------------------

-niteowl

OfflineFRACTALife
Rust Fuckin' Cohle
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Carcosa Flag
    #610879 - 02/28/12 01:56 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

That'd make a hilarious movie. :lol:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals