Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinephrostbyte
Hydro Grower

Mites Advice!
    #608596 - 02/06/12 05:14 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

So I got 2 spotted spider mites.  I have had them for awhile I guess. I had 2 plants almost ready to harvest.  One I harvested the other night which was fine.  I have my pineapple express that has 11 days till it's ready to come down according to my calender.  Now i checked the trichs and they are about 80% cloudy 20% clear.  I have been wiping the large fan leaves with dish soap water just to try to kill some of the mites / eggs to keep there numbers down as I can't kill them all yet. Today I checked on it and there were a lot of fan leaves on the back where I can see the mites and small webs near where the stem meets the leaves so I cut a lot of the bad fan leaves off. Now the mites seem to be getting worse.  Should I be ok to finish this plant for another 11 days.  My concern is that I have been cutting off the bad leaves they will start to move to the buds.  I don't want them laying web on the buds.

Also
I had 4 other smaller plants that I have been spraying heavy with dish soap water every few days.  I would alternate dish soap water then reg ph water when the lights go out.  I also wiped as many leaves as I could with a sponge.  These plants seem to Look tons better and healthier.  I know they still mites on them but a TON less.  They are now starting week 3 of flower and just beginning to show hairs on the bud sites.  Is there anything I can still do to keep these mites at bay so these plants can finish.  Cause once them bud poms start showing I don't wanna spray it with anything.

Once these last plants are done I plan on putting 2 hotshot pest strips in there for like 3 weeks.  Then cleaning house big time.  I would set off a bug bomb too but pilot lights freak me out.  I think no plants in the room / house for 3 weeks with the hotshot strips in the room should be good enough.  then Im going to get some organaice and neem oil for future preventative measures.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMiscusi
Grade 10
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Sunnyvale Trailer Park, C... Flag
Re: Mites Advice! [Re: phrostbyte]
    #608616 - 02/06/12 07:18 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

--------------------

"You cant arrest me, im high I cant understand my rights!"

Nanook said:
" People learn differently. Some can observe and gather what they need, others need to do it and experience all the options. One of those options being: burning down a mini fridge. "

Anything posted by me related to cultivation or illegal activities is purely fictional. It is intended for educational or entertainment purposes only.

Please help support the fight for Medical Marijuana in Florida

Edited by Miscusi (02/06/12 07:18 PM)

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Mites Advice! [Re: Miscusi]
    #608639 - 02/06/12 09:34 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Neem oil mixed with saturator.  Can get both with at your grow store, or online.  Then you wash with ph balanced water the next day.  Repeat one week later. 

Keep in mind once you have spider mites they can be a major bitch to get rid of completely, until more drastic measures are taken.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

Offlinephrostbyte
Hydro Grower

Re: Mites Advice! [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #608649 - 02/06/12 11:05 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Miscusi said:
Indoor or outdoor?
Outdoor: I use lady bugs :smile: natural and they dont bother the plant. or organicide.

Indoor I use organicide :smile:

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=202102029&storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=202102029&cm_mmc=shopping-_-googlebase-_-D28X-_-202102029

Quote:

hawksapprentice said:
Neem oil mixed with saturator.  Can get both with at your grow store, or online.  Then you wash with ph balanced water the next day.  Repeat one week later. 

Keep in mind once you have spider mites they can be a major bitch to get rid of completely, until more drastic measures are taken.

The plants are indoor DWC. I know they can be a bitch to get rid of.

Can you put this shit on even when you got big buds?  It doesn't mess with the buds and the crystals?  I would think it would fuck up the buds.  I read never to spray a budding plant 3 or more weeks into flower. This thing is suppose to be done in 11 days.  The others are 3 weeks into flower.

Edited by phrostbyte (02/06/12 11:07 PM)

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #608652 - 02/06/12 11:37 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Neem oil can be sprayed on your plants well into flowering.  Just spray with plain water 1-2 days after.

--------------------

-niteowl

InvisibleStonethM
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Male User Gallery

Loc: No where ville, USA Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #608659 - 02/06/12 11:52 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

When it comes to mites, I always recommend SM-90, Magash has recommended Avid, both hold high reviews for working quickly sometimes in just one treatment.

I also recommend cleaning the room well with bleach water, walls ceiling, and floors.

--------------------
:getstoned:

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Mites Advice! [Re: Stoneth]
    #608660 - 02/06/12 11:55 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Stoneth said:
When it comes to mites, I always recommend SM-90, Magash has recommended Avid, both hold high reviews for working quickly sometimes in just one treatment.

I also recommend cleaning the room well with bleach water, walls ceiling, and floors.

I agree, but I really dislike using those products during flowering.  I like to just keep them under control until i am able to harvest, and then hit my grow space with pyrethrin bombs and all vegetating plants with neem with penetrator and then a week later with Avid.

--------------------

-niteowl

Offlinephrostbyte
Hydro Grower

#608664 - 02/07/12 12:12 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

OK thanks guys!!!  So after my grows are done.  If I remove ALL plant life from the area / house for 3 weeks and throw them no pest strips in my grow room.  Plus clean everything in the grow room like tools supplies / pots/buckets ect you think I should be good after that to start up again? I mean it is winter here so it's not like I could bringem in from the outside.

From what I read these mites have a Very short life cycle and only feed on the plants.  I guess I figure no plats for weeks they have nothing to live off of and should die.  That's IF the NPS don't kill some of them.

Edited by phrostbyte (02/07/12 12:13 AM)

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #608666 - 02/07/12 12:19 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah that should work.  They are resilient little fucks though.  I would use the bombs with the no pest strips.

--------------------

-niteowl

Offlinekyuzo
Stranger Than Fiction

#608667 - 02/07/12 01:13 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Avids a systematic who's byproducts can persist in the plant for months.  Surely nothing I would spray a plant with that was already flowering, let alone likely to smoke in a few months

Offlinekyuzo
Stranger Than Fiction

#608668 - 02/07/12 01:14 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

hawksapprentice said:
Quote:

Stoneth said:

I agree, but I really dislike using those products during flowering.  I like to just keep them under control until i am able to harvest, and then hit my grow space with pyrethrin bombs and all vegetating plants with neem with penetrator and then a week later with Avid.

what brand bombs do you prefer?

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Mites Advice! [Re: kyuzo]
    #608670 - 02/07/12 01:33 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

The one I have is called Pyrethrum TR, by prescription treatment.

Avid is fed systemically, I use it in new clones that I acquire, that's why I let him know I recommend using Neem Oil and Saturator while in flowering to keep them under control until I can harvest and then use it on my existing mothers to get them completely eradicated.

--------------------

-niteowl

OfflineMiscusi
Grade 10
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #608686 - 02/07/12 09:13 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

phrostbyte said:
Quote:

Miscusi said:
Indoor or outdoor?
Outdoor: I use lady bugs :smile: natural and they dont bother the plant. or organicide.

Indoor I use organicide :smile:

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=202102029&storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=202102029&cm_mmc=shopping-_-googlebase-_-D28X-_-202102029

Quote:

hawksapprentice said:

The plants are indoor DWC. I know they can be a bitch to get rid of.

Can you put this shit on even when you got big buds?  It doesn't mess with the buds and the crystals?  I would think it would fuck up the buds.  I read never to spray a budding plant 3 or more weeks into flower. This thing is suppose to be done in 11 days.  The others are 3 weeks into flower.

ORganicide CAN BE SPRAYED UP TO THE DAY OF HARVEST!

It all natural oils, it wont harm your lungs or elts.

--------------------

Nanook said:
" People learn differently. Some can observe and gather what they need, others need to do it and experience all the options. One of those options being: burning down a mini fridge. "

Anything posted by me related to cultivation or illegal activities is purely fictional. It is intended for educational or entertainment purposes only.

InvisibleStonethM
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Male User Gallery

Loc: No where ville, USA Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #608699 - 02/07/12 12:08 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

kyuzo said:
Avids a systematic who's byproducts can persist in the plant for months.  Surely nothing I would spray a plant with that was already flowering, let alone likely to smoke in a few months

Interesting, thanks for sharing the info.
Got any links to back it up?
I've never used Avid myself was just mentioning it because Magash recommends it.
I use SM-90 when needed, and have been lucky enough never to need it after the third week of flowering.

--------------------
:getstoned:

OfflineMiscusi
Grade 10
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #608720 - 02/07/12 05:27 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Stoneth said:
Quote:

kyuzo said:

Interesting, thanks for sharing the info.
I've never used Avid myself was just mentioning it because Magash recommends it.
I use SM-90 when needed, and have been lucky enough never to need it after the third week of flowering.

I have never used anything other than Organicide myself, I love the stuff and it leaves no harsh or harmful residues/ traces in the plant.

I have herd of a lot of Medical growers in Cali using the stuff for outdoor crops.

--------------------

Nanook said:

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Mites Advice! [Re: Miscusi]
    #608721 - 02/07/12 05:31 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Then are your mites completely gone then??  Because unless I bring new strains in then I don't have to use any products at all.

--------------------

-niteowl

Offlinekyuzo
Stranger Than Fiction

#608726 - 02/07/12 06:55 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Stoneth said:Interesting, thanks for sharing the info.

Lots of people still use it, but the fact that it's a systematic, that's not approved for anything beyond ornamental use, is common knowledge

http://hyg.ipm.illinois.edu/pastpest/200417g.html

Edited by kyuzo (02/07/12 07:15 PM)

Offlinekyuzo
Stranger Than Fiction

#608768 - 02/08/12 07:00 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Miscusi, how do you generally go about mixing and treating with it, and do you take any special precautions after spraying?

Offlinephrostbyte
Hydro Grower

#609426 - 02/14/12 10:56 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

So I sprayed my plants twice last week 3 days appart with the neem , dish soap and ph water.  They are Looking MUCH better.  WAY less mites!  I still see some black spot though they don't appear to be moving.  I have a few questions though.

When the mights die do they stay stuck to the leaves?

Before spraying again should I spray with plain water the night before?

Is spraying now a bad idea?  I just started week 4 of flower.

**(I just want to make sure they make it another 5 weeks. The mites were pretty bad when I found them.  I know neem takes time to work well and keep them away.  I read regular spraying is critical to using neem.  I plan to let this flower run later than my norm as I dropped temps to mid 50's to try to kill the mites and slow growth to possibly buy more time to kill them.I know neem is all natural but how badly will it effect my budding?  My plants are just starting to get the little poms look to them.  I don't want to destroy the fragile buds)**

I also just checked over some leaves I cut off the plants that had black spots in the bottom.  I looked at them with my microscope and I couldn't find any live mights.  They were still there but all the ones I found were dead.

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #609429 - 02/15/12 12:09 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Neem is not going to affect your budding.  Yes rinse them off before you apply another coat of neem.

Yes the dead mites will stay on the leaf after they die.  You can give them one more coat with out a problem in week 4.

--------------------

-niteowl

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder