Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlineaspore
Cellular Drone
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Bhut Jolokia (Ghost Pepper) Growlog 2011
    #579330 - 08/19/11 01:02 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

This is an attempt at cultivating Bhut Jolokia Peppers. I will be trying various methods of growth, but focusing on a drip system w/ hydraton as the medium.

I aquired some ghost pepper seeds, fresh, from a local friend who has just harvested some from outdoors. I plan on starting a few in soil, a few in coco, and a few in rockwool to transfer into hydraton.

This is my setup:

Nutrient line is Hydroponix because they gave me free stuff to use.

More info to come, just wanted to get this started.

--------------------
"To live the life you only see, in the stores and on TV,
Is to take away the seed, the roots, and stem of all we need."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineaspore
Cellular Drone
 User Gallery

Re: Bhut Jolokia (Ghost Pepper) Growlog 2011 [Re: aspore]
    #580688 - 08/24/11 03:24 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

8 - 24 - 11

I soaked these seeds in plain water for 24 hours.

I then soaked some rockwool cubes in water adjusted to 5.5 Ph. (I used lemon juice) I squeezed out excess and re-soaked a few times just to completely saturate the cubes and bring down PH. I then squeezed to field capacity, added one seed per cube, and placed in a small plastic 'greenhouse'.

Placing this 'greenhouse' under a standard lighbulb, I temped @ 82 constant. I'll keep them here with some daily watering/air exchange untill I see sprouts.

That's all for now, wish me luck that these ladies sprout!
These 4 cubes were placed

--------------------

Offlineaspore
Cellular Drone
 User Gallery

#582131 - 08/30/11 05:21 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I noticed one of the seedlings in rockwool has a taproot today, hopefully this is a good sign that they are all gettin ready to bust.

So I guess One week from soaking to popping in rockwool with the conditions I've given.

--------------------

Offlineaspore
Cellular Drone
 User Gallery

#582508 - 08/31/11 06:15 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

gotten 3 taproots out of 4, the last one doesn't look like it will germinate. I see some greenish coloring on #1. I'll get pics once they pop out of the rockwool totally.

I do have some pumpkins accomodating my bucket for the moment, they seem to like it bunches, time to add another bucket to the system before the peppers are ready.

I've also changed my setup a bit, i'll explain after I do some mods in a day or so.

--------------------

Offlineaspore
Cellular Drone
 User Gallery

#583321 - 09/03/11 03:54 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Sprouts yo!

I guess 10 days give or take, 3/4 sprouted, so not bad for just 4 seeds.

Each one also has a small root coming out the bottom of the rockwool already, I'll give them a week with some very very light nutrient spray, and if the roots get stronger and come out heavy, I will then transfer into main system.

--------------------

Offlineaspore
Cellular Drone
 User Gallery

#587061 - 09/17/11 09:40 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Well, slow and steady I suppose is the best.

They are getting larger, slowly. I see wonderful root growth on bottoms of rockwool.

I have 2 in rockwool for hydro-transplant, and one in soil just to be sure I have at least one ghost-pepper growin'.

Keeping them in a humidity dome with a standard 60 watt incandescent bulb. I am going to upgrade lighting once I transfer to next medium. Taking up lots of water so far, liking warm, humid climes.

--------------------

Offlineaspore
Cellular Drone
 User Gallery

#592714 - 10/18/11 06:30 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Been about 3 1/2 weeks since I moved them into the hydro system. They are really starting to get full now.

--------------------

Offlineaspore
Cellular Drone
 User Gallery

#592715 - 10/18/11 06:31 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Using Hydroponix nutrients with some compost tea I have made. Compost tea has 19 additional fungi/bacteria to help the myco-structure.

--------------------

OfflineBling442
Stranger

#594595 - 10/29/11 05:08 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

They end up looking like a tree when fully grown!

InvisibleT-Rex
Herbsman
Male User Gallery

Loc: Devils Marbles Flag
Re: Bhut Jolokia (Ghost Pepper) Growlog 2011 [Re: Bling442]
    #594608 - 10/29/11 10:20 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

:popcorn:

--------------------

OfflineRasJeph
Psycho Pete
Male

Loc: Bumfuckt Egypt
    #594779 - 10/30/11 07:49 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

aspore said:
Using Hydroponix nutrients with some compost tea I have made. Compost tea has 19 additional fungi/bacteria to help the myco-structure.

I have some more of those nutes for trade if you like them and are interested. Just sayin'. I noticed you're using them and I don't plan on using mine, so I'd rather someone get some use outta them.

--------------------
Of course it's happening inside your head.
Why should that mean it isn't real?

Offlineaspore
Cellular Drone
 User Gallery

Re: Bhut Jolokia (Ghost Pepper) Growlog 2011 [Re: RasJeph]
    #594791 - 10/30/11 09:14 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Yeah, I like them so far, nothing super special but they are clean nutes and I got the sample pack for free. I really am going to go with GH 'lucas' formula after these are done. I really like the compost tea better than overdosing on nutes.

I 'fim'd' my #1 3 days ago, starting to see some green growth where the new shoots should come up. Lots of activity along the stem at the nodes too, more leaf growth there.

I'll be doing some topping/defoliation/training techniques to my #1 for experimental purposes. I will be letting my soil grow natrually with no alterations to the plant itself.

I have 4 more seeds started and will hopefully be making my first clones in the next 2 weeks.

I have some Trinidad Scorpion Butch T seeds coming, and will be adding those to my grow log once those are here.

My overall goal with this grow is to become familiar with Ghost Peppers and peppers in hydro overall. Once I am comfortable with my growing teks, I will try to implement large scale growing (200+ plants) for year round pepper production.

I also wish to implement some techniques to cross-breed some Ghosts with some T-Scorpions and see if I cannot hybridize a completely new pepper.

I hopefully will be able to sell seeds/peppers/clones of my plants for profit within a year.

/rant

--------------------

OfflineCosmicFool
Psychoholic
 User Gallery

Loc: 203 Flag
    #595854 - 11/05/11 05:54 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

aspore said:
I also wish to implement some techniques to cross-breed some Ghosts with some T-Scorpions and see if I cannot hybridize a completely new pepper.

wikipedia suggest that the ghost pepper is already a hybrid

and I've got a few of these beauties too

--------------------

Offlineaspore
Cellular Drone
 User Gallery

Re: Bhut Jolokia (Ghost Pepper) Growlog 2011 [Re: CosmicFool]
    #595976 - 11/06/11 06:12 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Here's an update. were @ 6 weeks in the system for my #1.

------

Heres my setup from afar. Soil on right.

-----------

I made this hood for my lights from a 5 gallon bucket. cut it in half and scred it together longways. Cut a hole for the lights in the top, and secured them with wire so there is no pressure on the cord.

I have a =150 watt CFL, =200 watt CFL, and a 100 watt incandescent (for heat)

----------

Wikipidia is probably right, but most peppers we have are a combination of other peppers before them, selected for their properties. The trinidad scorpions have been around for probably 20+ years, but the butch-t is just a variant of those. I will see what the future holds for me there. If anything I wish to just do massive production of these peppers. I would take pride knowing we can provide these peppers locally, and not imported from another country.

http://youtu.be/XzdA3B-iobg

Here is a vid on youtube of my pepper @ 6 weeks. Subscribe to my channel to keep video updates. I welcome all critisizm, cause I want to grow the best damned peppers I can for people who will appriciate them.

I only have a 3x3x7 area to grow, but I'll be moving soon and hopefully able to expand my growing to a more professional level. As for now, I'm wanting to keep this one plant to make clones, so when the time comes to grow my operation, I'll be ready.

I believe with some good technology, and ingenuity I can produce pepper year-round at a great price. Possibly even cross-breed my own, like I've mentioned before.

I'm giving them 18 hours of light on, and the rest off. It's not set in stone because I'm doing it manually. I will be building a light-proof 'room' for them so I can better control lighting/temp/humidity and keep it from flowering untill I can make clones. once I induce flowering, I hope to hand-pollinate the flowers with a q-tip just to be sure they get pollen to produce peppers. I will also be saving some pollen and the fallen flowers to maybe extract pollen and cross polinate other species later on.

/drunken postin'

--------------------

OfflineCosmicFool
Psychoholic
 User Gallery

Loc: 203 Flag
    #595979 - 11/06/11 06:53 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

your plants look a lot healthier then mine,
not that mine look unhealthy but they are in pots that are much too small

infact one of them is in a spare canning jar
and all of my fruits are 1/2 the size they should be,
poor planning mostly but I'll keep the largest fruit
and plant them next year if the parent plants don't survive the winter

--------------------

Offlineaspore
Cellular Drone
 User Gallery

Re: Bhut Jolokia (Ghost Pepper) Growlog 2011 [Re: CosmicFool]
    #596551 - 11/11/11 08:18 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Well my #1 is blowing up! I don't think that topping it was a good idea at the moment I did it, I probably should have waited a bit since it's throwing all it's growth along the stalk now. But i'm going to end up cloning the shoots around the stalk, and that might focus the energy into more upwards growth. Either way, this plant is looking very nice. roots are still growing crazy everyday.

That picture really shows the amount of growth that has appeared in just 5 days! I'm stoked to see this, I have no idea what will happen in the next month but I'm exited to get to see the growth patterns and learn so much so that one day I can grow lots of these ladies!

I'm running Hydroponix (Xnutes) still. 15ml of grow/micro per gallon.

Also I'm running a compost tea. I'll probably get some pics or videos of the tea up later. But basically I have a bucket in bucket system. The top bucket contains the plant material/compost (all fruits/veggies) there are small holes that allow the liquid to drain out into the bottom bucket. I then collect all the liquid and allow to set for at least a week. Then i'll add about one quart to my system every week. I've added beneficial fungi/bacteria to the compost, so after 24 hours of setting udisturbed, there is a nice layer of fungi/bacterium on the top. So I know that it's highly active with living cultures to help break down the nutes for my plants! This also will natrually keep my PH balance around 7. Good stuff!!!!

Next purchase will be some organic kelp and such. I'm really focusing on the compost tea, as the nutrients are doing wonderful already, I don't believe i need more chemicals, just nature!

--------------------

Offlineaspore
Cellular Drone
 User Gallery

#597048 - 11/15/11 01:44 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Youtube update video!

Anyways, not much has changed, still growing strong. I took 1 cutting for a clone today, and removed some leaves that were yellowing and not getting much light. The yellowing made me worried, I hope there isn't a virus/fungus that is causing it, so I'm looking into it as we speak. I did a res change today, so fresh nutes/water/tea. Cleaned all buckets well before replacing plants / water.

Hopefully my clone will take root soon, which is my next goal in this project. Cloning lots of baby bhuts!!! I also cannot wait to see what happens when I cut back the light for flowering, but that might be a while.

I'll add more when I have time, got a new job so i'm stoked to have more money to put into my hobby!!

--------------------

Offlineaspore
Cellular Drone
 User Gallery

Re: Bhut Jolokia (Ghost Pepper) Growlog 2011 [Re: aspore] * 1
    #598787 - 11/28/11 02:32 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Here's a quick visual of my plant. I'll do a 'start-to-finish' If I can. But I'm probably not going to update this log as much, since i've found a forum that's more dedicated to peppers, and this forum is pretty dead. too much work for me.

--------------------

InvisibleDrG
Male

#600679 - 12/09/11 05:49 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Damn,that is Beautiful!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order