Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Capsules   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineI Am Dan

when curing
    #58752 - 06/16/08 05:26 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

how often a day do you want to open the jars? The bud still isnt completely dry, should I keep it open overnight?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinedeadguy
Re: when curing [Re: I Am Dan]
    #58756 - 06/16/08 05:31 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

did the stems snap before you put the nug in the jars?  How long have they been in the jars? 

I would say as general guestimate 2 times a day for 15 minutes a day, but it's really a feel thing.

OfflineI Am Dan

Re: when curing [Re: deadguy]
    #58759 - 06/16/08 05:38 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

the stems can snap to the most part,but it is a little stringy. I am assuming it wasnt dried long enough. They were just put in jars today. should I just keep it open overnight?

OfflineI Am Dan

#58891 - 06/16/08 08:45 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

So the plant wasnt completely dry. Can I complete the drying procces in the jars?

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Loc: The Milky Way
Trusted Cultivator
    #59223 - 06/17/08 08:30 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

If you feel questionable about whether or not it is dry enough, it wouldn't hurt to take it out of the jars and work on drying it again for a couple days more. :shrug: :wink:

--------------------

OfflineIamasmoker
imachavel
Male

Loc: Florida
Re: when curing [Re: Sirius]
    #59411 - 06/17/08 01:09 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

a few more days? lol

one day should dry out the moisture

a few days will dry your bud

more than that and your drying more for long term preservation or extraction or something

bud will take awhile to dry out, but not TOO long

just think of weed you've smoked

fresh bud can only be a day or so fresher at the most than some usual fresh shit

just use logic

--------------------
my rating of flavoraid:

b*tch*s shouldn't call me a retard..

and this shit... "I like to drink tea, lift weights, punch shit, have sex with girls"....

is gay as f**k

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: when curing [Re: Iamasmoker]
    #59425 - 06/17/08 01:34 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

a few more days? lol

more than that and your drying more for long term preservation or extraction or something

fresh bud can only be a day or so fresher at the most than some usual fresh shit

just use logic

don't listen to this.  This is piss poor advice.  Drying is directly related to the Rh of your area that you dry in.  Higher Rh means a slower drying time due to the moisture in the air.  The more arid your drying area is the faster your buds will dry.

That being said a slower drying period is much preferred.  This allows any sugars in the buds to be converted into terpenes, allows the chlorophyll to leach out, and allows for a smoother smoke.  Generally you want your drying area to be around 25-35% RH (you can go higher but it requires more attention for bud rot), and you want your drying period to be at least a week.  You want to hear a nice audible *SNAP* when you break the stems.  Personally i try and crack the stems nearest to the buds, thicker stalks will take longer to dry so your bud may be dry before the stem.  A better way to check is to snap the stem within the bud.  If that snaps you know your bud is dry enough for the jars.

If your stems aren't dry enough to snap when bent then your bud isn't dry enough for jars.  The excess moisture within the buds will build up too quickly in your jars and you'll wake up to cobweb covered nuggets.  To fix this i would take a small paper bag and fill it no more then 2/3rds of the way full.  Crimp the top of the bag.  Then let it sit for a few more days making sure to open the bag and move the buds around at least once a day.  Once your stems snap cleanly and the buds are nice and crispy are you able to toss them in a jar.  Once they're in the jar i would open them once when you get up, move the buds around, and let the jar stand open for 10-15 mins.  Then, before you go to bed, repeat the process.

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

OfflineI Am Dan

Re: when curing [Re: coda]
    #59450 - 06/17/08 02:48 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

One day seemed to be fine. So onto curing.... When put into jars, should I open them every once in a while?

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #59476 - 06/17/08 03:32 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Once they're in the jar i would open them once when you get up, move the buds around, and let the jar stand open for 10-15 mins.  Then, before you go to bed, repeat the process.

--------------------

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Loc: The Milky Way
Trusted Cultivator
    #59477 - 06/17/08 03:32 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Snap, beat me to quoting the exact same statement of yours. :razz:

--------------------

Offlineoxalic32
Male
    #59590 - 06/17/08 06:26 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

If they were a little stringy rather than snapping readily i would say you didnt dry them well enough and they arent ready for curing. I would dry them a little more then go about curing. Thats my 2 cents.

OfflineIamasmoker
imachavel
Male

#59769 - 06/18/08 12:55 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

coda said:
Quote:

a few more days? lol

just use logic

don't listen to this.  This is piss poor advice.  Drying is directly related to the Rh of your area that you dry in.  Higher Rh means a slower drying time due to the moisture in the air.  The more arid your drying area is the faster your buds will dry.

That being said a slower drying period is much preferred.  This allows any sugars in the buds to be converted into terpenes, allows the chlorophyll to leach out, and allows for a smoother smoke.  Generally you want your drying area to be around 25-35% RH (you can go higher but it requires more attention for bud rot), and you want your drying period to be at least a week.  You want to hear a nice audible *SNAP* when you break the stems.  Personally i try and crack the stems nearest to the buds, thicker stalks will take longer to dry so your bud may be dry before the stem.  A better way to check is to snap the stem within the bud.  If that snaps you know your bud is dry enough for the jars.

If your stems aren't dry enough to snap when bent then your bud isn't dry enough for jars.  The excess moisture within the buds will build up too quickly in your jars and you'll wake up to cobweb covered nuggets.  To fix this i would take a small paper bag and fill it no more then 2/3rds of the way full.  Crimp the top of the bag.  Then let it sit for a few more days making sure to open the bag and move the buds around at least once a day.  Once your stems snap cleanly and the buds are nice and crispy are you able to toss them in a jar.  Once they're in the jar i would open them once when you get up, move the buds around, and let the jar stand open for 10-15 mins.  Then, before you go to bed, repeat the process.

piss poor advice? fucking a, bro. I'm sorry, I forget that a non extremely scientific procedure for this makes me a fucking moron or something as you and flavorknowsitall have explained.

I was going on the basis that you were drying out your buds in a well lit open spaced dry area. In which case, I'd say

I day or so SHOULD get rid of most moisture that will rot the bud if not dried before contained.

3 or 4 days will dry your bud so you can smoke it(curing-you could say). Although sometimes 4 days can dry the shit out of your if it's not sitting in a very cool dark shaded area.

for longer curing, i'd take the above advice, because it becomes more important. But wtf, how is that PISS POOR advice? You gotta dry it to the condition you want it in.

a freind of mine always gets his bud like week cured to death, it's very dry and smokes easily and is probably just as good as curing it 3 or 4 days, i don't prefer it.

with longer curing and sealing or whatnot, yes, you have to be precise, if not cured enough, the buds will rot, if overcured, they'll be dry even in the most tight containers.

i suppose...... :shrug: experience will tell you what you need to know, and maybe some not so PISS POOR advice :shrug:

--------------------
my rating of flavoraid:

and this shit... "I like to drink tea, lift weights, punch shit, have sex with girls"....

is gay as f**k

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #59979 - 06/18/08 12:09 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

why is it piss poor advice?  Because from your post above you apparently don't know the difference between drying and curing.

Drying is the process of removing moisture from the buds to make them smokable.

Curing is the process that takes place AFTER drying which uses the remaining moisture in the buds to allow the buds to convert whatever sugars they have left into usable aromatics.

Cannabis is like fine wine, the more you let it sit and cure, the better it becomes.  Of course, also like wine, you can cure your buds too long and they lose potency.  Curing too long is a process that takes years though, not days.

Quote:

3 or 4 days will dry your bud so you can smoke it(curing-you could say). Although sometimes 4 days can dry the shit out of your if it's not sitting in a very cool dark shaded area.

maybe if you're drying in the sahara.  4 days on the line for me leaves my buds crispy on the outside but still way too moist in the center to even think about smoking.  Of course, if your buds are fluffy and light there's less material to dry.  This obviously shortens your drying period some.

Quote:

that's what i was saying was piss poor advice.  The whole point of drying is for long term preservation.  There is no state you are trying to achieve other then drying your buds out well enough to prevent mold and make them smokable.  You're just confusing people with statements like this.  While there are variations on how to dry your buds and the lengths of time it takes to be completely dry, the basic process remains the same.  Dry til stems snap, burp in jars for as long as you want, enjoy the smoke.

--------------------

OfflineIamasmoker
imachavel
Male

#60005 - 06/18/08 12:55 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

alright

that's true, i had some real fluffy buds once that i dried, 2 days later they looked like another day they'd dry out completely

more dense bud you can leave drying for days before it starts to change color even

i guess it depends

to me, it always seems the better the bud the fluffier. but that's just my opinion, many times good bud isn't always fluffy, that's just GENERALLY what i noticed. really resinous bud to me seems fluffy i guess:shrug:

--------------------
my rating of flavoraid:

is gay as f**k

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #60030 - 06/18/08 01:39 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

to me, it always seems the better the bud the fluffier.

you know that super mauie strain i posted a while back?  Those buds were so dense it sounded like a rock hitting the table when you dropped it.  Fluffy bud are the result of a few things.  The biggest factor being too little light or too high of a temp.

Density has very little impact on potency.  It just means you have less to smoke.

--------------------

Invisiblestill beLIEve
State Property..Again
Male

Loc: a world thats not my own
    #60070 - 06/18/08 02:00 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

and it means smaller sacks look bigger :borat:

--------------------
niteowl said:
See, that term pedo gets thrown around a lot.
Is a 16 year old guy having sex w/a 16 year old girl a pedophile?
If not, then how is a 30 year old considered a pedophile for doing the same thing?
I think y'all need to look up the definition for pedophile.

OfflineIamasmoker
imachavel
Male

Re: when curing [Re: still beLIEve]
    #60336 - 06/18/08 06:57 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

too high of a temp huh?

oh well..

--------------------
my rating of flavoraid:

is gay as f**k

OfflinePsuper
حشيش حشّاشين
 User Gallery

Loc: Left Coast
    #430422 - 06/09/10 03:12 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Sorry to bump an old thread, but this is on-topic...

Folllowing, let's say, 5-9days of hanging to dry, if you were finishing drying in paper bags, how dry do you want the stems to be before the buds are placed in the paper bag?

Obviously the larger stems will still bend some, but should buds be able to break off the larger stem that they are still attached to or should these smaller stems still have some give as well?  (not the tiny popcorn buds here).

RH is about 50-57 most of the time.
Temperature is fairly steady at 68-73F.

Now, I have done this before with success; I am not worried about mold or messing anythig up too bad, I just respect the point-of-view of the cultivators here. :shineon:

--------------------
Shroomery.org

OfflineTektonic
dont panic, it's organic

Folding@home Statistics
Re: when curing [Re: Psuper]
    #430427 - 06/09/10 03:25 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

here's a link that helped me out with curing

--------------------
Legal & Compliant with local & state regulations.

Daily Tzolkin

:peace: :heart: :earth:

"If triangles' had a God, he would have 3 sides."

OfflinePsuper
حشيش حشّاشين
 User Gallery

Loc: Left Coast
Re: when curing [Re: Psuper]
    #430451 - 06/09/10 05:09 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Tektonic said:
here's a link that helped me out with curing

I appreciate the help, but that link is pretty basic information.  I am just looking to fine-tune my process some.  Just wondering what growers here thought.

Quote:

Psuper said:
Folllowing, let's say, 5-9days of hanging to dry, if you were finishing drying in paper bags, how dry do you want the stems to be before the buds are placed in the paper bag?

~P~

--------------------
Shroomery.org

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Capsules   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds