Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineDimo114
Ranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: White House
Harvest Time: How to get good smelling/tasting buds?
    #598810 - 11/28/11 10:08 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Ok, so my ak48 auto's are about to be ready for harvest! 50% of the trichs are milky/amber. I havr been flushing for 4 days now (cut off most of the fans, flushed w/ 2 gal water each, twice).
On my last grow, I harvested too earlly and dried the buds too quick, so even after a 3 week cure it smelled and tasted like straw. This time I want to make Sure I do it right.
From what I understand I should harvest when all the leafs are starting to yellow, so I know there are no nutrients left in the plants, but how yellow should they get?
I am going to be drying in a 2x2x7 closet, in total darkness, at 40-50% RH. The branches will be hung upside down and a fan (blowing away from the buds) will be running 24/7. If the buds take a full week to dry, should I assume I successfully slow-dried them?
Is there any ways to speed up the curing process? Do you think a week of curing will do justice?

Thanks in advance, and I know there are plenty of posts about this here and around the web, but there are really no specific answers to these questions...not where I looked anyway

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Loc: State of Mind Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Harvest Time: How to get good smelling/tasting buds? [Re: Dimo114]
    #598815 - 11/28/11 10:37 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

You should judge plant maturity on trichome coloration rather than leaf health, so don't just keep flushing until the leaves turn. Complete the flush and then just cut 'em down.
There is no way to speed up the curing process without losing some of the quality of the finished product...but you've waited 3-4 months at this point, what's another 2 weeks (which is the minimum I cure my bud, a week isn't enough IMO).

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

BlueBerry_Swisher said:I want French fries. No, I want a penis French. Thank you. I'm so excited. I can not contain myself. Now I eat chocolate. It is so good. I'm trying to rub it all over myself. And then lick. Now I need a hot shower. The end.

Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Harvest Time: How to get good smelling/tasting buds? [Re: 81renaissance]
    #598816 - 11/28/11 10:38 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Oh, and at 50/50 that shit is gonna be couch lock weed all the way.

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

BlueBerry_Swisher said:I want French fries. No, I want a penis French. Thank you. I'm so excited. I can not contain myself. Now I eat chocolate. It is so good. I'm trying to rub it all over myself. And then lick. Now I need a hot shower. The end.

OfflineDimo114
Ranger
Male User Gallery

#598823 - 11/28/11 10:51 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Umm, thanks.
If you read carefully youll see that I know that maturity isnt judjed by leaf discoloration.
I have somr really good reasons on why I want to speed curing up.
What do you mean by complete the flush?
I didnt wait 3-4 months. These are autos. So if you would be so kind as to tell me about this quick cure method, which hurts potentcy, i'd really appreciate it.

InvisibleStonethM
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Male User Gallery

Loc: No where ville, USA Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #598827 - 11/28/11 11:28 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

To my knowledge there is no such thing as a quick curing method worth doing.

As for your drying question sometimes a week is enough, sometimes it's not.
To check for dryness just bend the stems between your fingers, if it snaps you're good, if it just bends it needs more time.

--------------------
:getstoned:

Offlinewire5
Awesome Possum

Loc: "The sticks"
Re: Harvest Time: How to get good smelling/tasting buds? [Re: Stoneth]
    #598834 - 11/28/11 11:52 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Just from the male plants (and various other things I've tried to dry in the past) I learned that it is very hard to dry things where I live. I live in a very wet part of "the south".... it blows.

The only ways to quick dry would be to put it in the oven at a super low temp, or stick it with some dessicant. I'm not sure you want either of those though:cuteshit:

--------------------
In order to grow good weed you need to be part carpenter, electrician, plumber, biologist, geneticist, chemist, and very willing to get dirty.

I've been working with power tools since I was 8, my dad is an electrical engineer who owned a 280 gal fish tank, and I studied biology with a specialty in genetics. Getting dirty comes naturally. I think my parents inadvertently trained me to be a weed grower.

See what you think on my first try.

OfflineDimo114
Ranger
Male User Gallery

#598837 - 11/28/11 11:57 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Yeah, thats another thing I dont fully understand. I keep reading about how the syem should snap, but should it snap off or just make the snapping sound, but still hang on by little "strings"?

Stoneth, do you think I can conclude that I properly dried my buds just because it takes a week for them to dry?
Also, do you wait untill the leafs start yellowing, after the flush, to chop? Or wait untill they are mostly yellow?
I have seen people flush and wait 2 weeks. Is this nessesery to have good tasting bud, or does it depend on other factors?
Do you think spraying w/ h20 is a good idea? In my head, it would speed up the flush, but slow down the drying - which are both good things from what I understand.

Sorry for all the questions...got all happy that u responded lmao

Wire5:
Yeah quick drying sucks, but putting a taster bud in a paper bag on top of my hps ballast worked better then oven or dessicant for me.
I was actually asking about a quick cure method, as in after drying. But I guess thats like asking for a quick grow method lol <.<  just gotta let nature do it's thing sometimes I guess

Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #598839 - 11/28/11 12:07 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Apologies, I thought you were asking if a one week cure was adequate for good bud, but I see you were asking about the drying stage. Drying is one of those things that varies widely by region and season, so it is feasible that your bud would be dry in a week, but its the curing process that brings out the flavors. That is what the two week timeframe was about.
In terms of what I meant by complete the flush is to complete the 2-3 weeks of regular watering with water only and then give them the chop; depending on strain, phenotype, type of nutrients used, etc, the plant may not begin to yellow out before the flush is complete. You don't need to do big flushes like you would to correct a nute overdose or what have you, just as much water as you gave them through the growing process, minus the nutes.
Hope that clarifies my post a bit.

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #598840 - 11/28/11 12:08 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

P.S. Don't spray them with water, it will encourage moldy buds.

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

InvisibleStonethM
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #598846 - 11/28/11 12:26 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Personally I prefer it to snap clean off, or at least try to.

You can't really set a time for them to dry, it's best to use the above test.  Some plants may dry quicker than others for a number of reasons such as density, humidity, etc.....
I don't judge cropping time on the leaves, trich's are the best way to judge that time.  Some strains hold on to theirs leaves better than others.  For example in my current grow I have one plant that choose to naturally loose 90% of her fan leaves, and two other strains have only lost maybe two or three leaves total.

As for flushing time, I personally see no reason to flush for more than a week, tho there are many whom disagree with this and choose to flush longer, or even not at all.

I have never considered spraying water on my plants, being I have low vision anyways I fear the chance of the light burning the plants.  However I don't see where it'd help with the flushing process either.

Now I know a proper flush, dry, and curing has tons to do with final taste, but there are other factors as well.  I always recommend using a sweetener and some form of guano, budswell comes highly recommended.

--------------------

OfflineDimo114
Ranger
Male User Gallery

#598853 - 11/28/11 01:58 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Thanks a lot guys.
The reason I thought spraying w/ water would help the flush is cause plants absorbe nutes threw the leafs, so I thought it would be like anti-foliar feed or somethin lol. Guess theres reasons why noone does that.
Stoneth you said to add sweetner; do you actually mean something sweet lol? Or nutes w/ sugars?
I decided to harvest all the tops at 7 days after initial flush, and let the rest of the plant go for another 10-14 days. Idk how good of an expiriment that is, since I know different parts of the plant mature differently, but if there is a distinct difference im sure ill be able to tell.

As for my question regarding how yellow leafs should be, you guys didnt understand what I meant because I confused u so my bad. I was just thinking that its possible to tell how much nutes are left in the plant, not how ready it is for harvest, by looking at the leafs.
Btw, im looking for the couch lock high, which is why I started flushing at almost 50%milky trichs. I just want to make sure my buds taste as delicious as they look:)

Btw, I noticed the tops are begginning to turn purple, do you think if I give them an extra week they will turn compleatly? The coldest it ever got in my growspace is 65F

InvisibleStonethM
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #598854 - 11/28/11 02:15 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Stoneth you said to add sweetner; do you actually mean something sweet lol? Or nutes w/ sugars?

Sorry about that.
I was referring to nute additives to use during the flowering phase.

--------------------

OfflineDimo114
Ranger
Male User Gallery

#598856 - 11/28/11 02:30 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Oh gotchu. Would you recomend any in particular? I have some kind of sours (bagseed, but really sour flavor) at 3 weeks flowr right now, and I was thinking of what to add.
Also, from your exp. if a plant smells really strong while growing, does it mean the final product will have a strong smell? I can hardly bare smelling inside my closet for too long, but the taster nug I dried smelled like some freshlly cut grass ); tasted like nothingness :o

InvisibleStonethM
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #598863 - 11/28/11 03:15 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I use AN's Carbo Load, tho Botanicare's Sweet works well too.
Quote:

but the taster nug I dried smelled like some freshlly cut grass );

:lol:
I myself had that problem in my first few grows.
I'm not sure if it was the Budswell, or I final got my drying and curing perfected.  But haven't had a problem since.

--------------------

OfflineRasJeph
Psycho Pete
Male

Loc: Bumfuckt Egypt
    #598942 - 11/29/11 07:15 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I'd finish flushing for at least 7 days...10 is best in my experience.

As for drying, just make sure you dry them slowly. Don't use a fan or anything unless you're worried about mold.

I fucked up and put my last harvest in a paper bag (what I do after hanging for a few days) and set it on top of my veg cabinet so  it would be out of the way...which baked it, and made it crispy as fuck over night :facepalm: I just put it in a jar and did that orange peel trick...I'll be damned, it rehydrated them and they aren't crispy any more.

Then just leave it in the damn jar. If you're really genuinely worried about flavor, you won't mind waiting a bit for the cure. If you don't give a shit what it tastes like, you can smoke it wet if you have strong enough lungs :shrug: So don't complain about a 2 week cure if you want flavor. Beggars can't be choosers mang.

Theres a water cure, but that shit sucks if you ask me.

--------------------
Of course it's happening inside your head.
Why should that mean it isn't real?

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds