Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
OfflineThebooedocksaint
Dead Dictator
 User Gallery

Loc: Wild & Free
Re: Salaries for college football coaches back on rise [Re: Picklez]
    #597556 - 11/19/11 12:01 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

it's not the fact that i don't think they are not important to the program, it's that i think the fact over 60 of them make over a million a year. I could understand like the top couple coaches making like half a million MAYBE. I just think the job is over paid in general, by just decreasing the salary they make they could make so many improvements to other programs or even the foot ball program that it isn't even funny. The kind of cash were are talking about is serious cash flow, hell alternativly i'd just say football programs should be subject to taxes since they are so profitable. The general reasoning for giving tax cuts to education programs is because they need a little help educating the masses and that it is generally hard to keep running, but with staff getting turned into millionaires that is clearly not the case here. I'd be ok with it if they actually used funds from programs to help the college in practical ways, but that's not the case. There are so many angles you can look at to see why it isn't a good practice it is hard to give them all justice. It isn't like a program would do worse if the coaches were paid less as a whole, the main point to this is they are just plain all making to much in general. Imagine how much money of the economy is actually going to college football coaches collectivly. Well over 60,000,000.

--------------------
"Je pense, donc je suis (I am thinking, therefore I am)." -Rene Descartes

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePicklez
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Salaries for college football coaches back on rise [Re: Thebooedocksaint]
    #597559 - 11/19/11 12:15 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Because they GENERATE 20 million plus in revenue. They EARN that money

OfflineThebooedocksaint
Dead Dictator
 User Gallery

#597564 - 11/19/11 01:18 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I don't exactly call coaching a football team earning all the money the football program makes. Just because their football program has that kind of revenue doesn't mean you pay the coach outlandish sums of money.

--------------------

OfflinePicklez
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #597566 - 11/19/11 01:33 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

If I was doing a job that resulted in 20+ million in profits, I would be wanting my fair cut. I think anyone would

Especially when you consider the spotlight coaches are in every single week and the average shelf-life of their careers

OfflineKing Koopa
Natty
 User Gallery

Re: Salaries for college football coaches back on rise [Re: Thebooedocksaint] * 1
    #597567 - 11/19/11 01:43 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

The coaches dont agree with you. Which is why they occupied the locker rooms when they realized how much money the school makes off of them. College football wasn't always for profit, before it was just a sport; before, college football players were being bribed to pick a certain team, so the athletic program could look more SOLID, look like stars, bring in some wins, all for profits.

--------------------
Alcoholics Anonymous is a fellowship of men and women who share their experience, strength and hope with each other that they may solve their common problem and help others to recover from alcoholism.

The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking. There are no dues or fees for A.A. membership; we are self-supporting through our own contributions. A.A. is not allied with any sect, denomination, politics, organization or institution; does not wish to engage in any controversy; neither endorses nor opposes any causes. Our primary purpose is to stay sober and help other alcoholics to achieve sobriety.

OfflineKing Koopa
Natty
 User Gallery

Re: Salaries for college football coaches back on rise [Re: King Koopa]
    #597568 - 11/19/11 01:44 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

This isn't a new concept. Is it right for a university to manipulate their "students" for revenue?

Ask Ron Paul

--------------------
Alcoholics Anonymous is a fellowship of men and women who share their experience, strength and hope with each other that they may solve their common problem and help others to recover from alcoholism.

The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking. There are no dues or fees for A.A. membership; we are self-supporting through our own contributions. A.A. is not allied with any sect, denomination, politics, organization or institution; does not wish to engage in any controversy; neither endorses nor opposes any causes. Our primary purpose is to stay sober and help other alcoholics to achieve sobriety.

OfflineThebooedocksaint
Dead Dictator
 User Gallery

Re: Salaries for college football coaches back on rise [Re: King Koopa] * 2
    #597577 - 11/19/11 03:43 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

see the thing is, i view them asking money for it as wrong. The point is i think it is wrong for foorball coaches to earn more than proffesors. And i think the amount they earn is outrageous. Their value is very little in the big picture. That's my point and i lol at you all for disagreeing honestly. I really don't care at all how much their program makes, and them being in the spotlight should be a bonus to working. Not a reason to pay them more. If someone is going to act morally corrupt and they are in the spotlight that's what they get for being a scumbag. :lol: the fact you guys disagree is hilarious i think, people shouldn't profit that much from such a pointless job. Oh well, maybe the ncaa will restrict coach salaries some day. I can only dream of such a day.

--------------------

OfflinePicklez
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #597580 - 11/19/11 03:47 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

The fact that you dont think people should be paid based on how much money they make or earn for their business is retarded. plain and simple

"Let's pay this group more because they are teaching our children and maybe one of them will turn out to do something great."

You are thinking with you emotions and not common sense.

Invisiblestill beLIEve
State Property..Again
Male

Loc: a world thats not my own
    #597581 - 11/19/11 04:02 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Thebooedocksaint said:
I'd be ok with it if they actually used funds from programs to help the college in practical ways, but that's not the case.

You dont think the 20 million+ that the football program generates goes toward the college at all besides more football?

I dont know that, but i find it hard to believe.

In which case a good football team would indeed help the college in making money for it in other aspects.

Again, all coming back to the coaches doing a good job..

I agree with what KP said, with you thinking emotionally and not with common sense.

I agree that in the scheme of things education is more important, that being said our country loves entertainment and football generates money that the college needs.

--------------------
niteowl said:
See, that term pedo gets thrown around a lot.
Is a 16 year old guy having sex w/a 16 year old girl a pedophile?
If not, then how is a 30 year old considered a pedophile for doing the same thing?
I think y'all need to look up the definition for pedophile.

InvisibleStonethM
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Male User Gallery

Loc: No where ville, USA Flag
    #597584 - 11/19/11 04:04 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Thebooedocksaint said:
see the thing is, i view them asking money for it as wrong. The point is i think it is wrong for foorball coaches to earn more than proffesors. And i think the amount they earn is outrageous. Their value is very little in the big picture. That's my point and i lol at you all for disagreeing honestly. I really don't care at all how much their program makes, and them being in the spotlight should be a bonus to working. Not a reason to pay them more. If someone is going to act morally corrupt and they are in the spotlight that's what they get for being a scumbag. :lol: the fact you guys disagree is hilarious i think, people shouldn't profit that much from such a pointless job. Oh well, maybe the ncaa will restrict coach salaries some day. I can only dream of such a day.

I fully support what you're saying.
In fact it's these salaries that are raising the price of college educations across the US now.
But I guess KP feels his education should cost more because the football team needs a over payed coach, tho most of his players won't even make the pros.

--------------------
:getstoned:

OfflinePicklez
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Salaries for college football coaches back on rise [Re: still beLIEve]
    #597586 - 11/19/11 04:08 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

still beLIEve said:
Quote:

Thebooedocksaint said:
I'd be ok with it if they actually used funds from programs to help the college in practical ways, but that's not the case.

You dont think the 20 million+ that the football program generates goes toward the college at all besides more football?

I dont know that, but i find it hard to believe.

In which case a good football team would indeed help the college in making money for it in other aspects.

Again, all coming back to the coaches doing a good job..

I agree with what KP said, with you thinking emotionally and not with common sense.

I agree that in the scheme of things education is more important, that being said our country loves entertainment and football generates money that the college needs.

Right, like there is some red line that says no money generated from the football program goes to education. I bet a large portion of it does

And if you eliminate that source of giant revenue then you have to lay off even more teachers and charge students even more money to learn.

OfflinePicklez
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Salaries for college football coaches back on rise [Re: Stoneth]
    #597587 - 11/19/11 04:09 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Stoneth said:
Quote:

Thebooedocksaint said:

I fully support what you're saying.
In fact it's these salaries that are raising the price of college educations across the US now.
But I guess KP feels his education should cost more because the football team needs a over payed coach, tho most of his players won't even make the pros.

No because if it werent for the money the football program brought in for the school in the first place, education would cost much more.

2 million generates 20-50 million

no football generates nothing and therefore leaves a 20 million dollar budget hole.

edit- and it's only the top tier programs that are paying their coaches like that. That's because they are the ones bringing in the 40-55 million range + the 3-4 million from a possible Bowl Game

Just look at it this way. If you were a coach, making a school 50 million a year and they were trying to pay you 100,000 a year.. Wouldnt you be fucking pissed?

OfflineKing Koopa
Natty
 User Gallery

Re: Salaries for college football coaches back on rise [Re: Picklez] * 2
    #597591 - 11/19/11 06:38 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

How much the coaches make shouldn't even be debated. The problem is in the institutions which allows such business practices to happen

--------------------

InvisibleStonethM
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Male User Gallery

Re: Salaries for college football coaches back on rise [Re: Picklez] * 1
    #597592 - 11/19/11 07:04 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Just look at it this way. If you were a coach, making a school 50 million a year and they were trying to pay you 100,000 a year.. Wouldnt you be fucking pissed?

No I wouldn't be pissed at all.
Leaves more money for the school itself, in hopes of lowering cost of admission.
I'm never one for the greed side of anything.
Quote:

no football generates nothing and therefore leaves a 20 million dollar budget hole.

And I guess this is why schools without sports program generally cost less to attend.:lol:

--------------------

OfflinePicklez
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #597593 - 11/19/11 07:18 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Stoneth said:
Quote:

And I guess this is why schools without sports program generally cost less to attend.:lol:

Yeah, I bet a football coaches salary makes a huge difference in the overall cost of attendance :facepalm:

You and OP keep switching between "football coaches" and "sports programs". they are not the same thing, to bunch every sports team together and call it the football program is ridiculous.

InvisibleStonethM
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Male User Gallery

#597595 - 11/19/11 07:39 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

You's a funny man.
Is football not a sport?
Would it have made you feel that much better if I said schools without football programs generally cost less to attend?:lol:

--------------------

OfflinePicklez
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #597596 - 11/19/11 07:59 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Stoneth said:
You's a funny man.
Is football not a sport?
Would it have made you feel that much better if I said schools without football programs generally cost less to attend?:lol:

It is but it is one of the few profitable branches of the athletics department.

schools without football programs generally cost less because they are inferior institutions. if you care to argue to start naming schools without football and compare them to Harvard, Yale, USC, Notre Dame, and the list goes on and on... Better schools have better quality stuff for their students.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom