Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
OfflineThebooedocksaint
Dead Dictator
 User Gallery

Loc: Wild & Free
Salaries for college football coaches back on rise
    #597281 - 11/17/11 09:47 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Source

Jimbo Fisher got a raise of roughly $950,000 after last season, his first as head football coach at Florida State, boosting his pay to about $2.8 million.

So, at a time of tightening budgets, how does a public employee get a 50% raise of nearly $1 million after one year on the job?

"You're always looking at whether or not you have the potential to lose a good coach and end up having to pay more in order to get the next one," Florida State President Eric Barron says.

That sort of inflationary reasoning is a factor in the rapid rise in salaries of major-college head football coaches. An analysis by USA TODAY found that in 2006 the average pay for major-college coaches was $950,000 — coincidentally, about the amount of Fisher's raise after last season.

The average compensation in 2011 is $1.47 million, a jump of nearly 55% in six seasons.

In the six conferences with automatic Bowl Championship Series bids, the average salary rose from $1.4 million in 2006 to $2.125 million in 2011. That's a jump of about 52% — meaning salaries at schools in the other five major conferences are going up at roughly the same rate as they are at higher-profile schools.

"The hell with gold," higher education lawyer Sheldon Steinbach says. "I want to buy futures in coaches' contracts."

Critics find it troubling that this rapid rise for coaches comes at a time when instructional spending at many schools has slowed or declined amid economic struggles and shrinking state education budgets.

"Athletics has gotten so disproportionate to the rest of the economy, and to the academic community, that it is unbelievable," says Julian Spallholz, a professor in the department of food and nutrition at Texas Tech, where coach Tommy Tuberville got a $550,000 raise. "This kind of disproportion in the country is why people are occupying Wall Street."

This season, at least 64 coaches are making more than $1 million. Of those, 32 are being paid more than $2 million, nine are making more than $3 million, and three are making more than $4 million. Texas' Mack Brown tops the list; he's being paid more than $5 million. The analysis is based on contracts or other documents showing compensation from 110 of the 120 schools in the NCAA's top-tier Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS).

Average pay for major-college head coaches rose 7.3% from 2010. Average pay for those coaches was flat the year before, the only time there was no increase since USA TODAY began these analyses in 2006.

Gene Chizik's $1.4 million raise was this season's biggest, but he led Auburn to the national championship last season. Fisher's Seminoles didn't achieve as much, winning an Atlantic Coast Conference division championship before losing to Virginia Tech in the ACC title game and beating South Carolina in the Chick-fil-A Bowl.

Mississippi State coach Dan Mullen got this season's second-biggest raise — $1 million. Mullen earned $1.2 million in his first season at the school in 2009, got a $300,000 raise for his second year, and the latest raise jumps his pay to $2.5 million. Last season, he led the Bulldogs to a 9-4 record, their best since 1999, and a victory against Michigan in the Gator Bowl. He also was mentioned as a candidate for head-coaching vacancies at Miami (Fla.) and Florida.

"It's all market-driven," Mississippi State athletics director Scott Stricklin says. "When we hired Dan, we paid him $600,000 less than our previous coach … with the understanding that you know when you do that, you're saving money today but if he's successful you're going to catch him up to where the market is."

Mullen moves up from last in compensation among the 11 public schools in the Southeastern Conference to ninth. The high-price contracts of the SEC, where Chizik's $3.5 million salary ranks fourth, also influenced Fisher's raise.

Barron says Florida State conducted a market analysis and found Fisher's 2010 pay "was in the middle of the ACC pack and low for the SEC" and that he deserved a raise for coaching the Seminoles to a 10-4 finish in his first season after they went 7-6 the year before.

"That is very much the traditionalist argument for raising salaries of coaches," Steinbach says. "And the argument has some merit. That's the way the market functions."

Fisher's raise, this season's third highest, boosts him past the icon he succeeded, Bobby Bowden, who made $2.3 million in 2009, his last season.

Fisher declined to comment on his contract through a spokesman. Athletics director Randy Spetman also declined to comment other than a two-sentence e-mail statement that said Fisher's package is competitive and no state money is used to pay coaches.

It is common for schools to say that coach pay is pooled largely from TV, media and marketing contracts. But in 2010, only about 20% of FBS athletics departments were able to pay all their bills without help from university or state funds or student fees, according to a USA TODAY analysis of universities' financial records.

Chizik, Mullen and Fisher weren't the only coaches to receive big raises. About one-quarter of the 82 public schools that retained their coaches after last season gave raises of $200,000 or more; some of those raises were built into contracts that remained unchanged. However, nine schools provided boosts of $500,000 or more to incumbent coaches via new, or amended, contracts.

The 7.3% increase in the average pay for this season would have been more than 10% if such highly paid, high-profile coaches as Jim Tressel at Ohio State, Butch Davis at North Carolina and Urban Meyer at Florida had stayed in their former jobs and retained their former salaries, rather than leaving unexpectedly. (Tressel and Davis exited amid NCAA investigations; Meyer left on his own.)

Tressel made $3.9 million last season; his successor, Luke Fickell, is making $775,000 on an eight-month contract. That works out to $1.162 million on an annualized rate, the smallest number for an Ohio State football coach since Tressel earned $1,095,750 in guaranteed compensation in the 2003-04 contract year, according to Tom McGinnis, OSU's assistant athletics director of administration and human resources.

Fickell's annualized rate is slightly less than what Indiana is paying first-year coach Kevin Wilson and it's more than what Purdue guarantees third-year coach Danny Hope.

Ohio State athletics director Gene Smith declined to comment. "Considering my coach situation, I am not interviewing on these topics," he said by e-mail.

Reaction from faculty

Richard Lapchick is a social critic and coach's son who is director of the DeVos Sport Business Management program at the University of Central Florida.

"When you see the continuing escalation of coaches' salaries, I think the typical person has resentment about that," Lapchick says. "Misery is not the right word, but the lack of economic progress for most people, or the regression from where they were, makes it doubly frustrating when they see these kinds of salaries.

"I'm teaching in the Florida system. So, while I feel fairly compensated, I know there are a lot of faculty members who haven't really seen raises, or had tiny ones the last couple of years, who like everybody else are frustrated by what's going on."

Even so, there hasn't been much faculty criticism of Fisher's raise on the Florida State campus.

"I have not heard any talk about the football coach's contract," says Sandra Lewis, president of FSU's faculty senate.

Spallholz was among some members of the faculty senate at Texas Tech who questioned Tuberville's $550,000 raise to $2.059 million last winter after going 8-5 in his first season, including 3-5 in the Big 12.

"When this came out I stood up and said if I were Tommy Tuberville, I would be very embarrassed to accept such an increase, given the fact the faculty and staff had received nothing," says Spallholz, a former member at large of the faculty senate.

Florida State pays football coaches' salaries out of funds raised by its booster club. Even so, taxpayer money is affected at least indirectly. Federal tax subsidies are involved, as are state corporate tax subsidies since the university, athletics department and booster club are exempt from the state's corporate tax structure. (State subsidies for individual returns are not involved as there is no state income tax in Florida.)

"That's not any different than any other philanthropic contribution, as far as I can tell," FSU's Barron says.

For all of the TV money that flows to athletics departments in the best-known conferences, only 22 athletics departments are self-supporting, according to the USA TODAY analysis. The majority get subsidies from the university, often through student fees.

"The students pay more tuition, the faculty pay by not having a pay increase, and the football coach gets a half-million-dollar raise," Spallholz says. "And this goes on in a lot of other places, not just here.

"I think it speaks for itself, doesn't it? It says football is much more important on a lot of campuses than academics."

'It's a highly valued position'

The $525,000 pay raise for Utah coach Kyle Whittingham was as simple as Utah's move from the Mountain West Conference to the Pacific-12.

"We felt that as we made that move, we had to take people who do a good job and get them at least somewhat in the middle of the league," athletics director Chris Hill says.

Whittingham's compensation of $1.7 million is now fourth highest of the 10 public universities in the Pac-12, and Lane Kiffin at Southern California, a private school, almost certainly makes more.

Hill says Whittingham's raise is not really as large as it appears, because he says about $200,000 comes from an existing apparel deal that was outside his contract and now is included.

Hill makes $400,000, meaning Whittingham makes more than four times as much as the man he works for. Hill says that's fine by him.

"It happens in a lot of professions," Hill says. "The person who runs the hospital doesn't make as much as a top surgeon. And a top salesman often makes more than somebody else. I accept that as it's just the way it is."

As does Stricklin, the Mississippi State athletics director.

"All of us are paid based on what our value is within the context of the job we do," he says. "You can make a lot of comments about society and what football coaches get paid, but the fact of the matter is it's a highly valued position. … College football coaches, especially in the South, are some of the most high-profile citizens in each of our states."

Until recent days, Joe Paterno was among the most revered citizens in Pennsylvania. Critics suggest his larger-than-life legend contributed to an atmosphere in which his program could seem to function above the law. One consequence of football coaches who make more money than the athletics directors and presidents they nominally answer to is that the coaches can come to seem more important than their bosses.

"In the case of Joe Paterno, I don't think money was as much of a factor" in the mythology that grew around him "as his longevity and the reputation he built, partly as a philanthropist," Lapchick says. "But I do think coaches' salaries can play a role in distancing them from those they report to."

Barron, the Florida State president, says he makes $400,000 and got a bonus last year that raised his pay to $500,000. Fisher, of course, made almost two times that much in his raise alone.

What's it like to be the boss of a football coach who makes more than five times what the president does?

"I suppose it would be easy to sit there and think about that on a personal level, which is kind of the way that you've asked the question," Barron says. "I'm frequently amazed at what coaches get. … And then I Google the number of news stories about any university in the country and I realize that the top 20 stories for any university will all be about athletics. And that one mention of conference realignment will put 3,000 news stories out there.

"You can get a Nobel Prize at your university and you won't get anywhere near that attention. And so I think between the public and the media, they are telling us what they value."

I'm just reading a bunch of bullshit it seems. :lol:

Like coaching a team of retards to play a game is worth that much money.

--------------------
"Je pense, donc je suis (I am thinking, therefore I am)." -Rene Descartes

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleAlounacara
Born to be banned....
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Spicemaster, Texas
Re: Salaries for college football coaches back on rise [Re: Thebooedocksaint] * 1
    #597289 - 11/17/11 11:49 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

wrong forum dude

--------------------
You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrist office
Texas is humongus compared to France
Our Gair, who art in Texas,
Paw Paw be thy Name..

OfflinePicklez
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Salaries for college football coaches back on rise [Re: Alounacara]
    #597292 - 11/17/11 12:10 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

wrong forum and that was ridiculously long

On the subject, I will say this. They deserve every penny they get. They bring in more revenue for the universities than any other program or anything else. Top tier college programs generate 50 million+ in revenue each season, not including Bowl games.

So if you dont think a guy who earns your school roughly 50-55 million in 1 year, deserves to make 2-3 million of it then just look at how Joe Paterno is being treated. The guy who has the most wins EVER in college football is being crucified because he didnt do enough to stop sex abuse. His job is to coach football, he has tons of people he is responsible for. He reported what he was told to his supervisors and went back to his job.

That is just the most recent instance of where we idolize a football coach and ask him to do something that is outside of his pay grade and outside of his responsibilities

OfflinePicklez
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Salaries for college football coaches back on rise [Re: Thebooedocksaint]
    #597294 - 11/17/11 12:21 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Also you have to understand that you are talking about Florida State as well

A team that won 2 national championships from 90-2000. They are a program that is used to being on the big stage and playing for titles, something they failed to do in the last years of Bowden's reign.

OfflineKing Koopa
Natty
 User Gallery

#597334 - 11/17/11 04:46 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

The only juatifiable reason to call the players retards is because they aren't forming a NCAA lockout and occupying football stadiums while everyone else eats larger than acceptable portions from their hard work.

--------------------
Alcoholics Anonymous is a fellowship of men and women who share their experience, strength and hope with each other that they may solve their common problem and help others to recover from alcoholism.

The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking. There are no dues or fees for A.A. membership; we are self-supporting through our own contributions. A.A. is not allied with any sect, denomination, politics, organization or institution; does not wish to engage in any controversy; neither endorses nor opposes any causes. Our primary purpose is to stay sober and help other alcoholics to achieve sobriety.

OfflinePicklez
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Salaries for college football coaches back on rise [Re: King Koopa]
    #597338 - 11/17/11 05:08 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Ive always been in favor of a player stipend.

OfflineThebooedocksaint
Dead Dictator
 User Gallery

Re: Salaries for college football coaches back on rise [Re: Picklez] * 1
    #597383 - 11/17/11 09:42 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

and i've always been in favor about universities being about academics. On the note of wrong forum, i have started to only post marijuana related stories in the news forum because the rules say news stories there should be related to such things. If you read the article you would see that little side note that mentions athletics/football programs are not self sufficient and a lot of the reasons they even make so much is because they are tax exmempt. I personally don't think 'earning' that much for the school means they should make more, especially when only 22 schools in the ncaa are self sufficient with their programs (meaning technically their football program runs at a net loss for the university). I feel if anything extra proceeds from football should go back into the university considering many schools can't give their actual proffesors raises and have to make budget cuts. And i kind of think anyone that thinks differently is kind of insane. Aka all yalls.

--------------------

OfflinePicklez
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #597437 - 11/18/11 12:57 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Thebooedocksaint said:
and i've always been in favor about universities being about academics. On the note of wrong forum, i have started to only post marijuana related stories in the news forum because the rules say news stories there should be related to such things. If you read the article you would see that little side note that mentions athletics/football programs are not self sufficient and a lot of the reasons they even make so much is because they are tax exmempt. I personally don't think 'earning' that much for the school means they should make more, especially when only 22 schools in the ncaa are self sufficient with their programs (meaning technically their football program runs at a net loss for the university). I feel if anything extra proceeds from football should go back into the university considering many schools can't give their actual proffesors raises and have to make budget cuts. And i kind of think anyone that thinks differently is kind of insane. Aka all yalls.

1st off, I call bullshit on the 22 schools having profitable football programs. I would like to see where you came up with that number. I would bet almost every program has a profitable football program unless they count in a current stadium renovation or something like that.

And to talk about professors and education on the subject of college football coaches raises is kind of insane to me. So you are saying, a guy who earns your school millions and millions doesnt deserve a raise because there are teachers at the school who are not getting the same raises? Show me the college professor who brings in 25-50 million a year in revenue and then I will have his back.

I do agree teachers deserve raises, but it's just the economic time we are in. Football programs can continue to shell out that money because they bring in the revenue to support it

Anything else is comparing apples and oranges

InvisibleAlounacara
Born to be banned....

Re: Salaries for college football coaches back on rise [Re: Picklez]
    #597449 - 11/18/11 04:04 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I dont recall any professors packing in 80,000 people in a stadium recently:smilingpuppy:

--------------------
Paw Paw be thy Name..

OfflineThebooedocksaint
Dead Dictator
 User Gallery

#597453 - 11/18/11 04:35 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

and then two people ignore my point that most football programs don't even make a profit for the college, most actually cost he college money. So what about that? I mean this point is literally in the article above so you're just ignore that it really costs them money and saying 'they make the college money' when the money the program earns goes straight back into the program mostly to pay the coaches ridiculous saleries.

--------------------

Invisibleniteowl
GrandPaw
Male User Gallery

#597458 - 11/18/11 05:10 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

This proves why American society is so fucked up.

...because our priorities are fucked up

Since when is it more important to know how to throw a fucking football than it is to read, or do math.

Coaches should be on the bottom rung of the pay scale, not on the top fucking tier :facepalm:

--------------------
The Ego is a pathological condition
like a calcareous tumor or cyst
that begins growing in the personality
in the absence of hallucinogenic substances
-Terence McKenna-

OfflinePicklez
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #597461 - 11/18/11 05:20 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Thebooedocksaint said:
and then two people ignore my point that most football programs don't even make a profit for the college, most actually cost he college money. So what about that? I mean this point is literally in the article above so you're just ignore that it really costs them money and saying 'they make the college money' when the money the program earns goes straight back into the program mostly to pay the coaches ridiculous saleries.

proof?

because you are wrong.

InvisibleAlounacara
Born to be banned....

#597463 - 11/18/11 05:49 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Dead ass wrong:crankey:

--------------------
Paw Paw be thy Name..

OfflineThebooedocksaint
Dead Dictator
 User Gallery

#597480 - 11/18/11 08:53 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

The article would be my proof. If you think the article is wrong i suggest you take the time to go try to prove otherwise, because as it stands the article i posted mentions that only 22 programs are self supporting, out of the over 60 that pay coaches for 1 million. You're asking for proof after the article i posted says it plainly. You guys are hopeless :lol:

--------------------

OfflinePicklez
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #597485 - 11/18/11 09:05 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I suggest you learn how to read

Only 20% of ATHLETIC PROGRAMS.

It is a well known fact that many other athletic programs at universities lose money; gymnastics, swimming, track, wrestling,  some of the smaller sports

FOOTBALL is a profitable part of probably every single major university. That's why they are in place.

InvisibleAlounacara
Born to be banned....

#597495 - 11/18/11 11:02 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

wrong dead ass wrong:oldman:

--------------------
Paw Paw be thy Name..

OfflineThebooedocksaint
Dead Dictator
 User Gallery

Re: Salaries for college football coaches back on rise [Re: Alounacara] * 1
    #597535 - 11/19/11 09:36 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

well, i wish you would of mentioned that when i was already saying that and it obviously came from the article instead of leting me post the same thing like you guys were a brick wall. Regardless i still think that the profits from footbal should be spread out across the university, even to the non profiting programs. Letting a COACH make 1 million to 5 million dollars is ridiculous. All he does is coach, not a big deal at all it the greater scheme of things. Sure maybe he should make like 100-200 grand, but that's still a riduculous amount of money imo that's so much money most people wouldn't know what to do with it. And considering the tax payers are getting screwed from all these funds being non-taxable either it should help universities get better equipment for classes or help increase proffesor sallery since many of them can't get a raise with how much education programs have been getting cut. I'm just realizing that training future scientists, teachers, engineers,etc... Are all more important than being in charge of a team tha plays a game a lot of people want to watch. I mean football is fine and all to watch, but it's not the lease bit important in the grand scheme of things.

--------------------

InvisibleAlounacara
Born to be banned....

#597542 - 11/19/11 10:24 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

We dont need no stinking articles:crankey:

--------------------
Paw Paw be thy Name..

Invisiblestill beLIEve
State Property..Again
Male

Loc: a world thats not my own
    #597545 - 11/19/11 11:08 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Thebooedocksaint said:
well, i wish you would of mentioned that when i was already saying that and it obviously came from the article instead of leting me post the same thing like you guys were a brick wall. Regardless i still think that the profits from footbal should be spread out across the university, even to the non profiting programs. Letting a COACH make 1 million to 5 million dollars is ridiculous. All he does is coach, not a big deal at all it the greater scheme of things. Sure maybe he should make like 100-200 grand, but that's still a riduculous amount of money imo that's so much money most people wouldn't know what to do with it. And considering the tax payers are getting screwed from all these funds being non-taxable either it should help universities get better equipment for classes or help increase proffesor sallery since many of them can't get a raise with how much education programs have been getting cut. I'm just realizing that training future scientists, teachers, engineers,etc... Are all more important than being in charge of a team tha plays a game a lot of people want to watch. I mean football is fine and all to watch, but it's not the lease bit important in the grand scheme of things.

i totally feel where your coming from

but do you not get that without a coach the team would not be as good?

that a good coach directly correlates with a winning and profitable football program?

seems like its a small price to pay for what he actually brings in. and the notoriety he brings the school.

--------------------
niteowl said:
See, that term pedo gets thrown around a lot.
Is a 16 year old guy having sex w/a 16 year old girl a pedophile?
If not, then how is a 30 year old considered a pedophile for doing the same thing?
I think y'all need to look up the definition for pedophile.

OfflinePicklez
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Salaries for college football coaches back on rise [Re: still beLIEve]
    #597547 - 11/19/11 11:22 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

still beLIEve said:
Quote:

Thebooedocksaint said:

i totally feel where your coming from

but do you not get that without a coach the team would not be as good?

that a good coach directly correlates with a winning and profitable football program?

seems like its a small price to pay for what he actually brings in. and the notoriety he brings the school.

exactly

TONS of students go to schools based on their athletic programs, and the most popular being football and basketball

OfflineThebooedocksaint
Dead Dictator
 User Gallery

#597556 - 11/19/11 12:01 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

it's not the fact that i don't think they are not important to the program, it's that i think the fact over 60 of them make over a million a year. I could understand like the top couple coaches making like half a million MAYBE. I just think the job is over paid in general, by just decreasing the salary they make they could make so many improvements to other programs or even the foot ball program that it isn't even funny. The kind of cash were are talking about is serious cash flow, hell alternativly i'd just say football programs should be subject to taxes since they are so profitable. The general reasoning for giving tax cuts to education programs is because they need a little help educating the masses and that it is generally hard to keep running, but with staff getting turned into millionaires that is clearly not the case here. I'd be ok with it if they actually used funds from programs to help the college in practical ways, but that's not the case. There are so many angles you can look at to see why it isn't a good practice it is hard to give them all justice. It isn't like a program would do worse if the coaches were paid less as a whole, the main point to this is they are just plain all making to much in general. Imagine how much money of the economy is actually going to college football coaches collectivly. Well over 60,000,000.

--------------------

OfflinePicklez
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #597559 - 11/19/11 12:15 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Because they GENERATE 20 million plus in revenue. They EARN that money

OfflineThebooedocksaint
Dead Dictator
 User Gallery

#597564 - 11/19/11 01:18 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I don't exactly call coaching a football team earning all the money the football program makes. Just because their football program has that kind of revenue doesn't mean you pay the coach outlandish sums of money.

--------------------

OfflinePicklez
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #597566 - 11/19/11 01:33 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

If I was doing a job that resulted in 20+ million in profits, I would be wanting my fair cut. I think anyone would

Especially when you consider the spotlight coaches are in every single week and the average shelf-life of their careers

OfflineKing Koopa
Natty
 User Gallery

Re: Salaries for college football coaches back on rise [Re: Thebooedocksaint] * 1
    #597567 - 11/19/11 01:43 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

The coaches dont agree with you. Which is why they occupied the locker rooms when they realized how much money the school makes off of them. College football wasn't always for profit, before it was just a sport; before, college football players were being bribed to pick a certain team, so the athletic program could look more SOLID, look like stars, bring in some wins, all for profits.

--------------------
Alcoholics Anonymous is a fellowship of men and women who share their experience, strength and hope with each other that they may solve their common problem and help others to recover from alcoholism.

The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking. There are no dues or fees for A.A. membership; we are self-supporting through our own contributions. A.A. is not allied with any sect, denomination, politics, organization or institution; does not wish to engage in any controversy; neither endorses nor opposes any causes. Our primary purpose is to stay sober and help other alcoholics to achieve sobriety.

OfflineKing Koopa
Natty
 User Gallery

Re: Salaries for college football coaches back on rise [Re: King Koopa]
    #597568 - 11/19/11 01:44 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

This isn't a new concept. Is it right for a university to manipulate their "students" for revenue?

Ask Ron Paul

--------------------

OfflineThebooedocksaint
Dead Dictator
 User Gallery

Re: Salaries for college football coaches back on rise [Re: King Koopa] * 2
    #597577 - 11/19/11 03:43 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

see the thing is, i view them asking money for it as wrong. The point is i think it is wrong for foorball coaches to earn more than proffesors. And i think the amount they earn is outrageous. Their value is very little in the big picture. That's my point and i lol at you all for disagreeing honestly. I really don't care at all how much their program makes, and them being in the spotlight should be a bonus to working. Not a reason to pay them more. If someone is going to act morally corrupt and they are in the spotlight that's what they get for being a scumbag. :lol: the fact you guys disagree is hilarious i think, people shouldn't profit that much from such a pointless job. Oh well, maybe the ncaa will restrict coach salaries some day. I can only dream of such a day.

--------------------

OfflinePicklez
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #597580 - 11/19/11 03:47 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

The fact that you dont think people should be paid based on how much money they make or earn for their business is retarded. plain and simple

"Let's pay this group more because they are teaching our children and maybe one of them will turn out to do something great."

You are thinking with you emotions and not common sense.

Invisiblestill beLIEve
State Property..Again
Male

Loc: a world thats not my own
    #597581 - 11/19/11 04:02 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Thebooedocksaint said:
I'd be ok with it if they actually used funds from programs to help the college in practical ways, but that's not the case.

You dont think the 20 million+ that the football program generates goes toward the college at all besides more football?

I dont know that, but i find it hard to believe.

In which case a good football team would indeed help the college in making money for it in other aspects.

Again, all coming back to the coaches doing a good job..

I agree with what KP said, with you thinking emotionally and not with common sense.

I agree that in the scheme of things education is more important, that being said our country loves entertainment and football generates money that the college needs.

--------------------
niteowl said:
See, that term pedo gets thrown around a lot.
Is a 16 year old guy having sex w/a 16 year old girl a pedophile?
If not, then how is a 30 year old considered a pedophile for doing the same thing?
I think y'all need to look up the definition for pedophile.

InvisibleStonethM
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Male User Gallery

Loc: No where ville, USA Flag
    #597584 - 11/19/11 04:04 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Thebooedocksaint said:
see the thing is, i view them asking money for it as wrong. The point is i think it is wrong for foorball coaches to earn more than proffesors. And i think the amount they earn is outrageous. Their value is very little in the big picture. That's my point and i lol at you all for disagreeing honestly. I really don't care at all how much their program makes, and them being in the spotlight should be a bonus to working. Not a reason to pay them more. If someone is going to act morally corrupt and they are in the spotlight that's what they get for being a scumbag. :lol: the fact you guys disagree is hilarious i think, people shouldn't profit that much from such a pointless job. Oh well, maybe the ncaa will restrict coach salaries some day. I can only dream of such a day.

I fully support what you're saying.
In fact it's these salaries that are raising the price of college educations across the US now.
But I guess KP feels his education should cost more because the football team needs a over payed coach, tho most of his players won't even make the pros.

--------------------
:getstoned:

OfflinePicklez
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Salaries for college football coaches back on rise [Re: still beLIEve]
    #597586 - 11/19/11 04:08 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

still beLIEve said:
Quote:

Thebooedocksaint said:
I'd be ok with it if they actually used funds from programs to help the college in practical ways, but that's not the case.

You dont think the 20 million+ that the football program generates goes toward the college at all besides more football?

I dont know that, but i find it hard to believe.

In which case a good football team would indeed help the college in making money for it in other aspects.

Again, all coming back to the coaches doing a good job..

I agree with what KP said, with you thinking emotionally and not with common sense.

I agree that in the scheme of things education is more important, that being said our country loves entertainment and football generates money that the college needs.

Right, like there is some red line that says no money generated from the football program goes to education. I bet a large portion of it does

And if you eliminate that source of giant revenue then you have to lay off even more teachers and charge students even more money to learn.

OfflinePicklez
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Salaries for college football coaches back on rise [Re: Stoneth]
    #597587 - 11/19/11 04:09 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Stoneth said:
Quote:

Thebooedocksaint said:

I fully support what you're saying.
In fact it's these salaries that are raising the price of college educations across the US now.
But I guess KP feels his education should cost more because the football team needs a over payed coach, tho most of his players won't even make the pros.

No because if it werent for the money the football program brought in for the school in the first place, education would cost much more.

2 million generates 20-50 million

no football generates nothing and therefore leaves a 20 million dollar budget hole.

edit- and it's only the top tier programs that are paying their coaches like that. That's because they are the ones bringing in the 40-55 million range + the 3-4 million from a possible Bowl Game

Just look at it this way. If you were a coach, making a school 50 million a year and they were trying to pay you 100,000 a year.. Wouldnt you be fucking pissed?

OfflineKing Koopa
Natty
 User Gallery

Re: Salaries for college football coaches back on rise [Re: Picklez] * 2
    #597591 - 11/19/11 06:38 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

How much the coaches make shouldn't even be debated. The problem is in the institutions which allows such business practices to happen

--------------------

InvisibleStonethM
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Male User Gallery

Re: Salaries for college football coaches back on rise [Re: Picklez] * 1
    #597592 - 11/19/11 07:04 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Just look at it this way. If you were a coach, making a school 50 million a year and they were trying to pay you 100,000 a year.. Wouldnt you be fucking pissed?

No I wouldn't be pissed at all.
Leaves more money for the school itself, in hopes of lowering cost of admission.
I'm never one for the greed side of anything.
Quote:

no football generates nothing and therefore leaves a 20 million dollar budget hole.

And I guess this is why schools without sports program generally cost less to attend.:lol:

--------------------

OfflinePicklez
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #597593 - 11/19/11 07:18 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Stoneth said:
Quote:

And I guess this is why schools without sports program generally cost less to attend.:lol:

Yeah, I bet a football coaches salary makes a huge difference in the overall cost of attendance :facepalm:

You and OP keep switching between "football coaches" and "sports programs". they are not the same thing, to bunch every sports team together and call it the football program is ridiculous.

InvisibleStonethM
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Male User Gallery

#597595 - 11/19/11 07:39 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

You's a funny man.
Is football not a sport?
Would it have made you feel that much better if I said schools without football programs generally cost less to attend?:lol:

--------------------

OfflinePicklez
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #597596 - 11/19/11 07:59 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Stoneth said:
You's a funny man.
Is football not a sport?
Would it have made you feel that much better if I said schools without football programs generally cost less to attend?:lol:

It is but it is one of the few profitable branches of the athletics department.

schools without football programs generally cost less because they are inferior institutions. if you care to argue to start naming schools without football and compare them to Harvard, Yale, USC, Notre Dame, and the list goes on and on... Better schools have better quality stuff for their students.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale