Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineAudio Phoenix
Higher Primate

Help a brother out?
    #596472 - 11/10/11 03:54 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

The following is a message from AFOAF

I don't really know how kosher it is to ask someone to help me with a grow room setup, but I could sure use it.

I have two closets I am working with.

The first is a 4.5' x 3' x 7' which I intend on using as a vegetative room.

The other is 7' x 3' x 7' which I intend on using as my budding room.

I should mention I am a complete beginner and that I only plan on growing about 4 plants at a time for personal use.

My first question is, will this be enough space for my plan? I do have another room I could use but it is rather large and not as stealth.

These rooms are in the upstairs of my house and I plan to poke a hole through the ceiling to and vent out to the open attic with a carbon can  filter so that the heat will get dispersed in the open space before leaving the attic, but I don't know if that is a bad idea or not.

I plan on growing in soil for now because it just seems quite a bit easier and less expensive. Any recommendations you all could make on lighting and ventilation would be sweet.

I am considering selecting Kali Mist for my first grow because I have read up that it is very easy to work with and will work with just about any technique, and also I like the description of the effects. However, please inform me if this is not an ideal strain for a beginner.

Any help would be appreciated and I welcome anyone willing to mentor me  :jah:  but I am sure that is wishful thinking.

:lahey:

--------------------

:smoking:My Setup:smoking:              :mushroom2:My First experience with psychedelics:mushroom2:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRasJeph
Psycho Pete
Male

Loc: Bumfuckt Egypt
Re: Help a brother out? [Re: Audio Phoenix]
    #596494 - 11/10/11 07:39 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Well, you only really need 2 separate rooms if you plan on having plants in both flower and veg. If you're only looking to work 4 plants at once, maybe it'd be easier to just use one closet at first, and once you're ready to dive fully in after you get a grow under your belt make 2?

Just a small suggestion...that way its not overwhelming - and you save on lighting by only needing it for one room :cool:

Just a thought.

I'd use the bigger room and get a 600w switchable MH/HPS for that size room. :shrug: Ventilation is something I still struggle with myself, I'm sure someone else can help with that.

--------------------
Of course it's happening inside your head.
Why should that mean it isn't real?

Offlinealjeezzy
killa
 User Gallery

Loc: east 10
Re: Help a brother out? [Re: RasJeph]
    #596550 - 11/11/11 08:14 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

i use a panasonicwhisperline fan. $180 and a phat filter $100. you can't hear it through 2 doors, so your closet door and the bedroom door. cuz u want to be stealthy. some attics have vents but if you don't have a vent and wanna cut an exhaust hole make sure to install some mesh grill over it or bats and birds will nest and die and stink.

OfflineDr.Trich
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #596609 - 11/11/11 03:14 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Plenty of room. Particularly if you are starting with that strain. thats a sativa dominant, they grow bigger and stretchyer than say indica doms. Fine genetics, just might be a little hard for you to handle indoors, but can be done. IMO, if you could start with an indica dom, they are the best for beginners in my opinion. they yeild nice and dense, grow tight and compact, easy to train, etc etc.

just my two cents, you can still go with the mist, just keep in mind spacial requirements, and the fact they take a lot longer most of the time.

OfflineAudio Phoenix
Higher Primate

Re: Help a brother out? [Re: Dr.Trich]
    #596614 - 11/11/11 03:22 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

I hear ya about that, but I really don't like the high from indica, from what I read it's a short cycle for a sativa. I guess I figure that if I will eventually want to end up growing sativa, I may as well start that way :shrug:

My main thing is just finding how to set everything up and all that to control temp, humidity and ventilation. It's difficult to find a single source of information.

--------------------

:smoking:My Setup:smoking:              :mushroom2:My First experience with psychedelics:mushroom2:

OfflineDr.Trich
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #596629 - 11/11/11 03:59 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I can respect that bro. I dig the sativa's too, but personally just feel like i cant provide a good home indoors for my landraces.

There are sativa's out there bred to be quicker, and kali mist may very well be one of them, i dont know all that much, just a few tidbits from a few write ups. I have read that they have improved her since even only a few generations ago, as far as times at least.

What kind of lighting are you looking into? Idk what you are working with and have access to (well, everything since you have the interwebs lol), preferences etc etc..

OfflineAudio Phoenix
Higher Primate

#596631 - 11/11/11 04:07 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I have not quite decided yet on lighting. I will probably end up getting HPS for budding, I am guessing 400w is not quite enough for 4 plants? And then probably some florescent lights for veg room.

Any ideas on what would be the best way to control humidity in that 7x3 closet? Is it usually just a matter of struggling to keep the humidity down or do you have to work to raise it?

--------------------

Edited by Audio Phoenix (11/11/11 05:05 PM)

OfflineDr.Trich
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #596678 - 11/12/11 06:52 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Generally humidity isn't a big deal. A signifigant humidity drop in flower can increase resin production. other than this, its usually not worried about, especially first grow. Humidity is mostly a problem where it is really moist all the time, inviting mildew and mold.

HPS is great for flowering! floros good for veg. I have a 600w hooded hps, and its plenty of light in my 4x4.  I wouldn't know how to control temps if it wasn't hooded, be advised.

Offlinealjeezzy
killa
 User Gallery

Loc: east 10
    #596703 - 11/12/11 12:33 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

the bigger the space the easyer it is to control temp

OfflineDudeTron
 User Gallery

Re: Help a brother out? [Re: aljeezzy]
    #596753 - 11/12/11 09:29 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

My opinions:

Do like RasJeph suggested and consider just using one room for your first grow... Whatever plants/seeds to get are going to have to veg first, and then flower.  So for at least the first month or so you're only going to use one room. If you take clones, or happen upon some more plants as soon as you start flowering, then you can worry about a veg space.

I would always focus on your flowering space first, as it can be used as a veg space in a pinch anyway... Whereas if you have a veg space which isn't lightproof, not enough exhaust etc, it's only a veg space.
For a first grow, I would suggest just doing a straightforward veg-bloom run.  You'll probably feel like your hands are full enough just worrying about 1 set of girls to water/feed/monitor at a time

I would go with the 600w HPS if you can swing it because they are the best lumen output/cost value.  Though a 400w would be fine for 4 plants.  If you really want to nail it, try to figure 50w/sq.ft.

If you stick with 1 room, maybe even get a switchable ballast with both a halide and a sodium.

But again, focus on bloom, get a sodium one way or another for sure.

For veg, CFL or HO fluorescent light would be the cheap/easy way to go and works great.

One last note considering your ventilation: If you live in a climate that snows alot and you're very worried about stealth, it CAN look weird to be the only house on the block without snow on your roof!  Usually not a big deal, and venting to the crawl space is usually the way to go, but this is something you may think about.

~DT  :bongload:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom