Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Invisibleopenmind
cannaisseur

Loc: Cannafornia
Transformational Festivals
    #588735 - 09/25/11 07:30 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

An interesting TED talk I thought I would share with you all, perhaps some of you have seen it. Now I already know some of you are instantly going to pass off what this guy is saying as some new age hippy shit (and he is a total goober :smirk:), but if any of you have attended some of the festivals and gatherings in western North America I'm sure you have felt and noticed that there is indeed something special happening. If you have been attending these gatherings and lived in the west for a while you have been able to observe them evolve into what they are today. There also seems to be more and more of these annual festivals and gatherings popping up over the years, most of them are a bit more under the radar or so to speak. Damn near every weekend of summer there is some sort of gathering or festival happening in northern California alone, from late May to September.

Majority of the points and ideas he brings up are things I have pondered and thought about a lot with out ever sharing with or hearing from others, so for my self this talk was quite something....

:stoner:

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineNobodyImportant
Science Is Subculture
Male User Gallery

Loc: Jawjuh.
Re: Transformational Festivals [Re: openmind]
    #588750 - 09/25/11 08:58 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I liked it :smile:

Really makes me wanna hit another festy

--------------------
:bonghit:
Glass By: US Tubes, ZOB, Roor.de, Sheldon Black, Jerome Baker, Medicali, Kennaroo, Sand, Alex K, Local and Unknown Artists

Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Loc: State of Mind Flag
    #588753 - 09/25/11 09:34 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Perfect. I was moved by this, because as technical an approach as it takes, there is a lot of truth at the heart of what he's saying.
Specifically when he talks about the freedom from dogma, and the temporary autonomy, I just about lose it; to me, festivals are a time of complete vulnerability, you don't have to have your guard up, and everything can surface.
Thanks for sharing man.

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

BlueBerry_Swisher said:I want French fries. No, I want a penis French. Thank you. I'm so excited. I can not contain myself. Now I eat chocolate. It is so good. I'm trying to rub it all over myself. And then lick. Now I need a hot shower. The end.

OfflineNobodyImportant
Science Is Subculture
Male User Gallery

Re: Transformational Festivals [Re: 81renaissance]
    #588754 - 09/25/11 09:36 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

its a beautiful thing when you can let your guard down and let the true you come out and play :sun:

--------------------
Glass By: US Tubes, ZOB, Roor.de, Sheldon Black, Jerome Baker, Medicali, Kennaroo, Sand, Alex K, Local and Unknown Artists

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Free yourself from yourself
Male User Gallery

Loc: Carpal Tunnel
Re: Transformational Festivals [Re: NobodyImportant]
    #588836 - 09/26/11 01:24 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

awesome!  this one belongs in the ted thread too.  thx for sharing!

There are also at least one new documentary coming out that explores these connections made in that ted talk.  here's one...

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1402014218/electronic-awakening

--------------------

Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies - Become a member!
The Growery's Herb Museum (post #24)
I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery.
~ Thomas Jefferson ~

OfflineNobodyImportant
Science Is Subculture
Male User Gallery

Re: Transformational Festivals [Re: FurrowedBrow]
    #588940 - 09/26/11 09:30 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I like that project, cant wait to see what they do with it

these dance parties as lame or as ghey as lots of you would think they are, have really changed my life personally and the lives of many I know, often for the better. sometimes for worse but thats only when people believe that they need to take substances to get "in the zone"

Ive been going to lots of these events stone sober lately and ive been having just as much fun and just as much of a religious experience

--------------------

Invisibleopenmind
cannaisseur

Re: Transformational Festivals [Re: FurrowedBrow]
    #588958 - 09/26/11 11:55 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

81renaissance said:
Perfect. I was moved by this, because as technical an approach as it takes, there is a lot of truth at the heart of what he's saying.
Specifically when he talks about the freedom from dogma, and the temporary autonomy, I just about lose it; to me, festivals are a time of complete vulnerability, you don't have to have your guard up, and everything can surface.
Thanks for sharing man.

Quote:

NobodyImportant said:
its a beautiful thing when you can let your guard down and let the true you come out and play :sun:

Yea it really is...Just being able to completely let go, set your self adrift to where ever those 3 to 5 days take you.

Quote:

FurrowedBrow said:
awesome!  this one belongs in the ted thread too.  thx for sharing!

There are also at least one new documentary coming out that explores these connections made in that ted talk.  here's one...

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1402014218/electronic-awakening

I'll have to check that out, thanks for the heads up man :wink: .

--------------------

Invisibleopenmind
cannaisseur

Re: Transformational Festivals [Re: NobodyImportant]
    #588964 - 09/27/11 01:13 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

NobodyImportant said:
I like that project, cant wait to see what they do with it

these dance parties as lame or as ghey as lots of you would think they are, have really changed my life personally and the lives of many I know, often for the better. sometimes for worse but thats only when people believe that they need to take substances to get "in the zone"

Ive been going to lots of these events stone sober lately and ive been having just as much fun and just as much of a religious experience

I hear ya man. They're so much more than just a "dance party".

Not one gathering in particular, but over the years that I've been attending these sorts of gatherings it has definitely been an influence on my life, has taught me a few things, and gives me hope in humanity. The way these festivals and gatherings turn into a tight nit community immersed in nature for 5 days. Everyone is very open and with no guard up. In this sort of environment, where people can completely let their guard down for a few days on end, is when the best comes out in people in my opinion.

I just think, back 30 years ago these sorts of gatherings didn't even exist, I mean I wasn't even born yet but as far as I know they did not. Now here we are, and within the past 15 years or so, such a blip in time, these gatherings and festivals are dotted all up and down the west coast (as well as other parts of the US) and they seem to have larger and larger turn outs every year...I think the guy mentioned this in his talk, but I'm very curious what is brewing and what is to come of these gatherings, especially with the trend of things currently happening in this world...

Now I'm gonna go all cliche' hippy for a moment :smirk:, but the way these events bring people together as a tribe and allow them to dance their asses off through out the night under the stars and moon & surrounded by nature is something we have most definitely lost touch with...Some people say it's just the drugs, but I too have gone completely sober and I can feel the happiness and joy in the air. Honestly there have been a few times where I felt like I was rolling face while there wasn't a thing in my system, just picking up on the love & joy, the shit is so thick you can take bites of it out of the air :grin:.

I like when he brings up the idea of "Ancient Future Culture". Exactly an idea I've thought about many a times whilst at these gatherings. Definitely a sense of caring for the earth and getting back to our roots and what we truly are at the core, but at the same time integrating and embracing modern technology into these gatherings. I've always been an observer more than a participant, so I'm not giggin' and dancing the entire weekend, but observing more than anything. My favorite thing to do is taking a moment and stepping back, observing all that's going on around me and taking it all in. All of the rich conversations going on, artists from all different styles/mediums collaborating, watching people's dance styles influence each other on the dance floor, the sound systems literally shaking the air and causing the cells in everyone's body to reverberate at the same exact frequency...Just taking it all in and realizing something is going on here, these are most definitely the beginnings of a new ancient future culture.

I really have so much to say on this, my mind is just a wee bit jumbled at the moment (cannabis and caffeine :stoned: ) so getting my thoughts out in a linear fashion is a little difficult. My thoughts were a little scattered so I'll probably elaborate a bit tomorrow.

But if any of you haven't been to one of these gatherings, try to find out about and get into the loop of the smaller gatherings and festivals in your area, the small gatherings are where it's it...do it, in my opinion it's the happiest place on earth and a lot can be brought from them an integrated into your daily life.

--------------------

OfflineCage
Melancholy Mindfuck.

#589615 - 09/30/11 10:18 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I'm very intrigued.... I can't wait to hit one of these up when I get back to Cali.. It's been way too long since I've been able to let my guard down whole-heartedly..

I love this concept... I MUST go when I can..

I thought it was kind of weird how the guy was presenting like he's showing it at an Elementary school or something..

Oh, and that blonde with the gloves is fucking gorgeous :awesomenod:

Edited by Cage (09/30/11 10:18 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale