Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Gold Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6  [ show all ]
InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Re: The World According To Monsanto [Re: OoBYCoO]
    #629194 - 06/24/12 03:16 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Don't feel like running back through this entire shit-fest to find out what the rest of your posts entail, but don't you think that was a bit of a ridiculous response right there? He accuses you of pop-media pandering and you immediately respond with more pop-media.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineKing Koopa
Natty
 User Gallery

Re: The World According To Monsanto [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #629196 - 06/24/12 03:28 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

I've actually tried to trace the news articles sources only to find out their only sources are other news articles. :sad:

Antways, Monsanto=/=GMO. I still find it surprising people who lack critical thinking skills are HIGHLY opinionated more so than those who do. Also, I don't think anyone in this thread has a grasp on not even a generalized idea of the science of GMO's.

--------------------
Alcoholics Anonymous is a fellowship of men and women who share their experience, strength and hope with each other that they may solve their common problem and help others to recover from alcoholism.

The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking. There are no dues or fees for A.A. membership; we are self-supporting through our own contributions. A.A. is not allied with any sect, denomination, politics, organization or institution; does not wish to engage in any controversy; neither endorses nor opposes any causes. Our primary purpose is to stay sober and help other alcoholics to achieve sobriety.

OfflineOoBYCoO
Stranger
Male

#629197 - 06/24/12 03:30 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Harry_Ba11sach said:
Don't feel like running back through this entire shit-fest to find out what the rest of your posts entail, but don't you think that was a bit of a ridiculous response right there? He accuses you of pop-media pandering and you immediately respond with more pop-media.

Why?  Those articles pertain mostly to actions taken by Monsanto or movements against Monsanto or the movements themselves... they're not scientific journals.
...I didn't know you need peer review for matters of public record.

--------------------
High Mountain Compost

Edited by OoBYCoO (06/24/12 03:32 PM)

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Re: The World According To Monsanto [Re: King Koopa]
    #629198 - 06/24/12 03:35 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

King Koopa said:
I've actually tried to trace the news articles sources only to find out their only sources are other news articles. :sad:

Antways, Monsanto=/=GMO. I still find it surprising people who lack critical thinking skills are HIGHLY opinionated more so than those who do. Also, I don't think anyone in this thread has a grasp on not even a generalized idea of the science of GMO's.

I agree, which is why pop news is such BS. :sad: also

And you're right about the opinion thing. Usually the people yelling the loudest are the least educated, and THAT is why they're scared.
In college I took a 6000 level bio class actually titled "Genetically Engineering Organisms."  I am WAY far from an expert still, but I feel that I can speak with at least a relatively informed opinion on the subject.  GMO's really aren't anything to be scared of. Sure, there's a potential for some sketchy shit to go down with them, but name me one thing we deal with on a daily basis that doesn't have that potential.  I can probably find 100 different children's cereals that will kill you in 5 years if you eat enough of it.

--------------------

OfflineOoBYCoO
Stranger
Male

#629200 - 06/24/12 03:41 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Hmmmm if I recall I to went to an accredited university w/ a Bio major on academic scholarship...

--------------------
High Mountain Compost

OfflineKing Koopa
Natty
 User Gallery

#629201 - 06/24/12 03:51 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Then excuse me. I really couldn't tell with all the videos and news articles you were posting. Someone asked for your opinion earlier in the thread and told a the guy to do his own research. So, you're just trying to get people to think about this GMO controversy?

--------------------
Alcoholics Anonymous is a fellowship of men and women who share their experience, strength and hope with each other that they may solve their common problem and help others to recover from alcoholism.

The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking. There are no dues or fees for A.A. membership; we are self-supporting through our own contributions. A.A. is not allied with any sect, denomination, politics, organization or institution; does not wish to engage in any controversy; neither endorses nor opposes any causes. Our primary purpose is to stay sober and help other alcoholics to achieve sobriety.

OfflineOoBYCoO
Stranger
Male

#629203 - 06/24/12 04:05 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Oh I'm sorry.. I didn't end up answering him right after that?  If one does their own research they come to their OWN CONCLUSIONS!  :wink:  Yes, it would be nice if people thought about it.

http://www.biolsci.org/v05p0706.htm#headingA11
http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=va&aid=21251 ; (link to study at bottom)
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/jat.2712/abstract

--------------------
High Mountain Compost

Edited by OoBYCoO (06/24/12 04:09 PM)

OfflineKing Koopa
Natty
 User Gallery

#629204 - 06/24/12 04:11 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Don't be sorry! I just think our motivations should be as easily identifiable as communicating our ideas or opinions, clearly. Not only does it make for a more effective conversation, it's the prerequisite for a great learning experience.

Irrelevant: I know you have a music thread over at the Shroomery, why don't you have one here?

--------------------

Edited by King Koopa (06/24/12 04:32 PM)

OfflineOoBYCoO
Stranger
Male

#629206 - 06/24/12 04:21 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

:shrug:  lol I dunno... different vibe I guess.

--------------------
High Mountain Compost

Offlinekyuzo
Stranger Than Fiction

Re: The World According To Monsanto [Re: OoBYCoO] * 1
    #629215 - 06/24/12 05:10 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

OoBYCoO said:
Quote:

kyuzo said:
Quote:

OoBYCoO said:Ok now I know you're making arguments for the sake of arguing...

the negative effect he cited was dependent on one gene, not the process of splicing that gene.  Hence, to attribute it's effects to all gene splices, that could have an endless number of effects, unlike the one he cited, is fallacious.

Pretty simple

That still encompasses GENETIC MODIFICATION does it not?

this is like citing a guy trying to hammer a board together with a glass nail as proof hammering things together doesn't work: the negative effect arised directly from the traits of the introduced genetic material (the nail), not the practice itself (hammering).

Edited by kyuzo (06/24/12 05:25 PM)

OfflineOoBYCoO
Stranger
Male

Re: The World According To Monsanto [Re: kyuzo]
    #632006 - 07/18/12 12:38 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Stand-off looms over U.S. plans to cut GMO crop oversight
by Charles Abbott and Carey Gillam

(Reuters) - Efforts to write benefits for biotech seed companies into U.S. legislation, including the new Farm Bill, are sparking a backlash from groups that say the multiple measures would severely limit U.S. oversight of genetically modified crops.

From online petitions to face-to-face lobbying on Capitol Hill, an array of consumer and environmental organizations and individuals are ringing alarm bells over moves they say will eradicate badly needed safety checks on crops genetically modified to withstand herbicides, pests and pesticides.

Article continues here: http://in.reuters.com/article/2012/07/17/us-usa-agriculture-biotech-idINBRE86G0XF20120717

--------------------
High Mountain Compost

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds