Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Gold Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offline484
Reptar
Male
fish water
    #573585 - 07/21/11 11:51 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I have a fish tank with a pair of goldfish in it. The fish produce a lot of ammonia that feeds bacteria that break it down into nitrates. Can I use my fish water that is full of delicious nitrates to feed my plants?

--------------------
Какой дурак придумал бутерброд с дикобразом? Он хулиган; он бездельник!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleT-Rex
Herbsman
Male User Gallery

Loc: Devils Marbles Flag
Re: fish water [Re: 484]
    #573641 - 07/21/11 04:30 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Yes you can, though I would be getting a PPm reading before I drown my plant is super Nitrate rich water, also you want to make sure your Ammonia is down to 0PPM or you will burn your plants with that too. Not too sure on how plants deal with Nitrites, though I would be keeping those down too.

Just make sure to do weekly 50% water changes and maybe use the water you remove from the tank as a sort of feeding boost once a week.

--------------------

Offline484
Reptar
Male
Re: fish water [Re: T-Rex]
    #573868 - 07/22/11 07:42 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Sounds reasonable; thanks for the info.

OfflineFlying_Dog
Last man standing
 User Gallery

Loc: Underground
Re: fish water [Re: 484]
    #574061 - 07/23/11 01:17 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

My plants loved it back in the day but my water was green with algae and had a alligator in it also. Never tested the water but I also never seen my plants so damn happy.

OfflinePernicious
Stranger Danger
Male User Gallery

Loc: East Coast
Re: fish water [Re: Flying_Dog]
    #574142 - 07/23/11 11:25 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

well thats the whole idea behind aquaponics so i would assume if its good for every other plant weed wouldn't be any different.

and the alligator water didn't breed all kinds of crap? being someone who has bred reptiles off and on since i was kid i would assume that the feces its diet created would be terrible for your plants.Reptile refuse is fucking vile and 100% protein based for most species.

OfflineFlying_Dog
Last man standing
 User Gallery

Loc: Underground
Re: fish water [Re: Pernicious]
    #578256 - 08/14/11 12:30 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Actually never noticed a problem with the alligator poop. Plants seemed to love it, I do see what your saying about the protien though.

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: fish water [Re: Pernicious]
    #578261 - 08/14/11 01:00 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Pernicious said:
well thats the whole idea behind aquaponics so i would assume if its good for every other plant weed wouldn't be any different.

and the alligator water didn't breed all kinds of crap? being someone who has bred reptiles off and on since i was kid i would assume that the feces its diet created would be terrible for your plants.Reptile refuse is fucking vile and 100% protein based for most species.

Protein is fantastically high in nitrogen. Plus the algae I could see that being a pretty nice NPK ratio.

Also, CaptainKoons is an old member on here who hasn't logged in in awhile, but he was growing pounds and pounds of cannabis with aquaponics

--------------------

OfflinePernicious
Stranger Danger
Male User Gallery

Loc: East Coast
Re: fish water [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #578349 - 08/14/11 04:50 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Harry_Ba11sach said:
Quote:

Pernicious said:

Protein is fantastically high in nitrogen. Plus the algae I could see that being a pretty nice NPK ratio.

Also, CaptainKoons is an old member on here who hasn't logged in in awhile, but he was growing pounds and pounds of cannabis with aquaponics

well that just answers everyones questions now doesnt it :tongue:

Invisiblemaryanne3087
Stranger

Trusted Cultivator
Re: fish water [Re: T-Rex]
    #580643 - 08/24/11 11:08 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

T-Rex said:
Yes you can, though I would be getting a PPm reading before I drown my plant is super Nitrate rich water, also you want to make sure your Ammonia is down to 0PPM or you will burn your plants with that too. Not too sure on how plants deal with Nitrites, though I would be keeping those down too.

Just make sure to do weekly 50% water changes and maybe use the water you remove from the tank as a sort of feeding boost once a week.

A ppm reading doesn't accurately display the N content of the water, it displays the overall conductivity of the water. PPM meters also don't measure N or at least all N, I've done mixtures of nutrients where I've calculated the total PPMs say N  140, P 50, K  200, Mg 60, S 60, Ca 100 with traces of other elements and my PPM meter will read 120-140 short of my known total PPM including N when using distilled water.

As for aquariums and aquaponics you can't really provide an environment good for both cannabis since canna needs high PPM and ideally you want zero ammonia and nitrites for aquariums and still low PPMs of nitrates. Of course some fish are hardier than others if I attempted aquaponics I'd definitely use something like carp/koi/goldfish.

As for ammonia affecting cannabis, most commercial fertilizers utilize some percentage of ammonia nitrogen, the problem with ammonia is plants don't regulate the uptake of ammonia so it's used/absorbed very quickly which can lead to burning.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals