Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineSherman
noob
Male User Gallery

Loc: TX
LED vs other lights
    #578140 - 08/13/11 08:18 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I have heard that you can use LEDs to grow and well frankly im interested. Im a laser nut and they work on some of the same principles. I however do not know about their effect on MJ growing. I know they are low heat and high efficiency and red(i think) triggers flowering while blue (i think) is vegetative. I want to know if it would be wise to use LEDs on my first build of a stealth grow box (instead of HIDs) for 6 plants. Please help a humble noob learn a bit.

--------------------
"in the land of the blind the one eyed man is probably holding the laser"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineHipsterDoofus
Dude
Male
Re: LED vs other lights [Re: Sherman]
    #578233 - 08/14/11 09:51 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Don't jump into it. Take your time and do the research. You'll find that this topic is hotly debated with very strong opinions on both sides.

InvisiblePandor

Re: LED vs other lights [Re: HipsterDoofus]
    #578239 - 08/14/11 10:35 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I did masses of research on LEDs. We are talking about hours and hours spent in front of a computer. I just got my 2 lights in the mail and will be starting a grow log soon. Stay tuned.

If you do decide you want to try them all I can advise is research the fuck out of it first. There are thousands of threads and grow logs out there. Oh and don't just buy the cheapest model. The ones I purchased were made in USA.

OfflineSmokinErb
Stranger
Re: LED vs other lights [Re: Pandor]
    #578561 - 08/15/11 04:01 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Too many junk LED's out there, so buyer beware.

Now, I'm not a LED-basher, and I won't start now.  I did read a side-by-side grow that was done fairly (from clone - all grown in an organic amended soil from the same batch.)  It was an interesting read, can't find the link right now but here's a summary from my memory:

HID vs LED vs T5ho

Veg: LED's outperformed everything.  Largest root mass of the three.  T5's came in next with a smaller root mass than the LED's, but plants were of comparable size.  HID brought up the rear with the smallest root mass and worst growth.

Flower: Here's where it all changed.  HID made a comeback and led the pack.  Heaviest yield and the most dense nuggets.  T5's followed up with, surprisingly a very similar yield to the HID.  Not as dense, but seemed to have more bag appeal with more color and trichomes.  LED's performance was lacking here.  Yield was about 2/3 of what the HID produced.

Until the technology is advanced further, I will not be purchasing a LED light.  The money just isn't worth a light that's only useful, to me, as a veg light.  A T5HO can be had for cheaper and produces similar results with minimal heat.  And it produces heavier, denser nugs. 

I'm still a HID man - but after reading the thread I'm talking about, I invested in a 4ft 6-lamp T5ho for vegging.  I occasionally grow a SOG under it as well.  Results are stellar. 

But hey, if you're into lasers, and like the pretty pink lights, by all means go for it.  They do work, they do produce bud, and they produce decent bud.  They're just not for me.

InvisibleStonethM
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Male User Gallery

Loc: No where ville, USA Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: LED vs other lights [Re: SmokinErb]
    #578587 - 08/15/11 07:17 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I'd list them this way, 3 to 5 watt chip set LED 4 to 7 band, HID/hps,mh/, floras/T5,T8,cfl's/, then bullshit leds dead last.

That would be on a watt per watt comparation, not the bullshit 120 eqyalls 600 shit.

And I have tested all myself.

--------------------
:getstoned:

OfflineSmokinErb
Stranger
Re: LED vs other lights [Re: Stoneth]
    #578591 - 08/15/11 08:03 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Couple things I'd like to chime in:

Don't know how you did the tests, but when doing watt-for-watt all other parameters also need to be equal.  I do agree to some extent about the 120w = 600w is bullshit, but 120w covers the same area a 600w would.  You can't put a 600w HID in a 3x3 tent and then stick 600w of LED in a 6x6 and call it fair.  I don't see 600w LED out yielding 600w HID in a 3x3 or 4x4 tent.  This is because the canopy surface area is the same - and the 600w kicks ass in penetration. You can cover a lot more space with 600w LED than you can with 600w HID and therefore would be easy to outproduce the 600w HID.  But it's hardly a fair test if you're covering twice the floor space with LED's as you are with HID's.

All types of lighting have pros and cons.  You have to focus on the pro's and grow accordingly.  LED's lack in penetration - the obvious answer is a SOG or ScOG.  Same with T5's and even low wattage HPS - 400w HPS lacks in penetration and I treat it so.  If you want to grow big bushy monster plants you need penetration, 600's will work for sativa's as their leaf shape allows for more light penetration, 1000's are mandatory for indica dominate strains. 

T5's produce excellent bud if used correctly - SOG or ScOG.  This limits the needed penetration of the light as only lighting the canopy is necessary.  If you try to grow big bushy plants, you'll wind up with some loose airy buds.

InvisibleStonethM
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #578623 - 08/15/11 09:23 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Testing was done same size rooms, same hydro feed and setup.
I agree that penetration is key, the reason I stated 3 to 5 watt chip set the penetration from these are unbelievable to say the least.

I have also used a 120 four band with one watt chip set and out performed a 400 HPS hands down.  This was also same room, feed, setup, and clones came from the same mother.

So I no reason to think that a 600 led wouldn't out perform a 600 HPS.

--------------------

OfflineSmokinErb
Stranger
    #578656 - 08/15/11 10:47 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I don't know much about LED's so I can't really provide any type of argument here.  I'll have to do some research on the LED's you've mentioned.  Any brands specifically?  If the price on 'em was right - I'd gladly get a set of LED lights - but that'll probably be another few years.  It's not that I bash LED's, it's just cost effectiveness that I look at. HID lighting is a lot older technology and a lot cheaper.

Any chance you logged these grows anywhere so I can check them out?  Always looking to learn something new.

InvisibleStonethM
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #578659 - 08/15/11 11:02 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

No logs, maybe some pics of the 400 hps and 120 led working together somewhere.
Don't get me wrong led's have still got some improvements to come, and yeah price is high as hell still for the better units, tho Blackstar has some nice one's out now. Not that badly priced either.

And imo for the money HID over 400 watts rule.
400 or under, I'd have to choose a good 240 or 180 LED with as I said before 4 to 7 bands and 3 to 5 watt chip set.

--------------------

OfflineSmokinErb
Stranger
    #578667 - 08/15/11 11:51 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I may look into those.  I'm currently running dual 400's - was hoping to run 600's but with the temps I have right now it's not gonna happen.  Which really sucks because I already purchased the bulbs (Ushio HiLux) and they weren't too cheap. 

I'm running 2 exhcaust fans too.  6" inline dedicated to the DIY cool tubes (bake-a-round) and 4" vortex/phresh filter for exhausting cabs. 68f ambient temps - I figured I'd be in the mid 70's.  But nope, mid 80's.

If I get sold on the LED's I may invest in some as I primarily grow SOG and have no real need for penetration - 400's work well for me actually.  I've got a few 1kw ballasts/bulbs laying around from my commercial op days, but that's in the past.  I really should put those up on e-bay.

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #578670 - 08/16/11 12:01 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I did not research LED lights on the computer and don't have half the scientific brain as either Stoneth or Harry but I have seen at the very least 50 grow ops here in Mendo county switch to them and not a single grower has kept them. I do know that most of the grows on things like Youtube showing grows that are made to look like grows at peoples houses are actually made by the LED makers themselves.

One guy switched 8000watts of flowering to LED only to go back. I'm not gonna sit here and say spectrum this and that I only know what I've seen with my own eyes. We have the highest number of growers per capita here then any place on earth. According to CNN there are at least 7 indoor grow ops on every city (if you want to call it that) block here. Put it this way, I have 64000watts of grow lights going and I'm small time here.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder