Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineIamasmoker
imachavel
Male

Loc: Florida
Re: so your freind has a genius chemistry idea [Re: Iamasmoker]
    #58118 - 06/15/08 08:04 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

5-hydroxytryptophan (5-HTP) is the less well known cousin of serotonin (5-HT), one of the most important brain neurotransmitters. Tryptophan is first converted to 5-HTP in nerve cells by a vitamin B3 dependant enzyme, and then 5-HTP is converted to serotonin by a vitamin B6 dependant enzyme. Yet thanks to modern science, we can now take preformed 5-HTP, with many consequent advantages.

5-HTP passes through the blood brain barrier into the brain far more easily than tryptophan, and getting tryptophan through the blood brain barrier is the main bottleneck, which in many people leads to inadequate brain serotonin levels.

Also, 5-HTP is not used to make proteins in the body, while tryptophan is, so there isn’t competition by cells outside the brain for 5-HTP, as there is for the body’s scarce tryptophan supplies.

The body often uses tryptophan to make vitamin B3, at a very high cost of 60mg tryptophan to make just 1mg of B3!  5-HTP is not wasted to make vitamin B3.

Tryptophan can be broken down in the liver by pyrrolase, an enzyme that converts tryptophan to kynurenine and its metabolites, which can be mildly liver toxic at high levels. 5-HTP is not metabolized through this pathway.

Because of this, tryptophan supplementation especially in chronically stressed people should be kept to 1 gram (1000mg) per day or less, because the stress hormone cortisol activates pyrrolase.

The work of HM van Praag, SN Young, and others over the last 20 years, shows that serotonin is a key brain neurotransmitter involved in mood regulation (anti-anxiety and antidepressant), impulse control (inhibits aggression and obsessive compulsive disorders [OCD], pain control, and sleep).

Serotonin is also the precursor for our pineal gland’s production of melatonin.  Human clinical studies show that 5-HTP is a far more efficient increaser of brain serotonin than tryptophan.

Further, when 5-HTP has been compared to tryptophan in human studies, 5-HTP has been a far more successful antidepressant, even when the tryptophan dosage used is 10 to 15 times higher than the 5-HTP dosage. Also, relapses back into depression are more common with tryptophan than with 5-HTP.

Unlike tryptophan, 5-HTP has been shown to increase brain dopamine and noradrenaline activity.  These are two key mood and alertness regulating neurotransmitters, and when tyrosine, the amino-acid precursor for brain dopamine/ noradrenaline is given along with 5-HTP, the effect is even more powerful.

Van Praag’s and Young’s work suggests that 5-HTP is more likely to be effective for those suffering an anxious, agitated, aggressive, irritable depression and is rarely effective for those suffering from a severe, vegetative, total "blahs" type depression.

5-HTP may also be helpful in some cases of compulsive carbohydrate overeating, alcohol addiction and compulsive gambling (specific forms of OCD), as well as for insomnia.

Side effects of 5-HTP are occasional gastrointestinal upset, hypomania and euphoria.  Even though 5-HTP is a natural substance normally made by the brain, without medical supervision prudence suggests limiting daily dosage to 100mg to 200mg, a dose shown to be effective in human clinical studies.

Research also shows that both tryptophan, and even more so 5-HTP, increase the activity of MAO inhibitor drugs, tricyclic antidepressants and selective serotonin inhibitor (SSRI) drugs, such as Prozac, Paxil and Zoloft.  Therefore tryptophan and especially 5-HTP, should only be used by anyone taking any of these drugs ONLY with their prescribing physician’s consent and supervision.

--------------------
my rating of flavoraid:

b*tch*s shouldn't call me a retard..

and this shit... "I like to drink tea, lift weights, punch shit, have sex with girls"....

is gay as f**k

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDr_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Re: so your freind has a genius chemistry idea [Re: 0xYg3n]
    #58120 - 06/15/08 08:05 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

0xYg3n said:
well duh!  It's fucking adrenaline. 

Why don't you tell me everything you know about 5-htp.  Give me something to laugh about.

Yeah, actually adrenaline is another name for nor-epinephrine. So... whatever.

--------------------
MistaUNGA said:
be sure to slap a sticker on there and take a pic, cuz otherwise it didn't happen!

Offline0xYg3n
el cid
 User Gallery

#58123 - 06/15/08 08:06 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Iamacocksmoker said:
5-hydroxytryptophan (5-HTP) is the less well known cousin of serotonin (5-HT), one of the most important brain neurotransmitters. Tryptophan is first converted to 5-HTP in nerve cells by a vitamin B3 dependant enzyme, and then 5-HTP is converted to serotonin by a vitamin B6 dependant enzyme. Yet thanks to modern science, we can now take preformed 5-HTP, with many consequent advantages.

5-HTP passes through the blood brain barrier into the brain far more easily than tryptophan, and getting tryptophan through the blood brain barrier is the main bottleneck, which in many people leads to inadequate brain serotonin levels.

Also, 5-HTP is not used to make proteins in the body, while tryptophan is, so there isn’t competition by cells outside the brain for 5-HTP, as there is for the body’s scarce tryptophan supplies.

The body often uses tryptophan to make vitamin B3, at a very high cost of 60mg tryptophan to make just 1mg of B3!  5-HTP is not wasted to make vitamin B3.

Tryptophan can be broken down in the liver by pyrrolase, an enzyme that converts tryptophan to kynurenine and its metabolites, which can be mildly liver toxic at high levels. 5-HTP is not metabolized through this pathway.

Because of this, tryptophan supplementation especially in chronically stressed people should be kept to 1 gram (1000mg) per day or less, because the stress hormone cortisol activates pyrrolase.

The work of HM van Praag, SN Young, and others over the last 20 years, shows that serotonin is a key brain neurotransmitter involved in mood regulation (anti-anxiety and antidepressant), impulse control (inhibits aggression and obsessive compulsive disorders [OCD], pain control, and sleep).

Serotonin is also the precursor for our pineal gland’s production of melatonin.  Human clinical studies show that 5-HTP is a far more efficient increaser of brain serotonin than tryptophan.

Further, when 5-HTP has been compared to tryptophan in human studies, 5-HTP has been a far more successful antidepressant, even when the tryptophan dosage used is 10 to 15 times higher than the 5-HTP dosage. Also, relapses back into depression are more common with tryptophan than with 5-HTP.

Unlike tryptophan, 5-HTP has been shown to increase brain dopamine and noradrenaline activity.  These are two key mood and alertness regulating neurotransmitters, and when tyrosine, the amino-acid precursor for brain dopamine/ noradrenaline is given along with 5-HTP, the effect is even more powerful.

Van Praag’s and Young’s work suggests that 5-HTP is more likely to be effective for those suffering an anxious, agitated, aggressive, irritable depression and is rarely effective for those suffering from a severe, vegetative, total "blahs" type depression.

5-HTP may also be helpful in some cases of compulsive carbohydrate overeating, alcohol addiction and compulsive gambling (specific forms of OCD), as well as for insomnia.

Side effects of 5-HTP are occasional gastrointestinal upset, hypomania and euphoria.  Even though 5-HTP is a natural substance normally made by the brain, without medical supervision prudence suggests limiting daily dosage to 100mg to 200mg, a dose shown to be effective in human clinical studies.

Research also shows that both tryptophan, and even more so 5-HTP, increase the activity of MAO inhibitor drugs, tricyclic antidepressants and selective serotonin inhibitor (SSRI) drugs, such as Prozac, Paxil and Zoloft.  Therefore tryptophan and especially 5-HTP, should only be used by anyone taking any of these drugs ONLY with their prescribing physician’s consent and supervision.

I was talking about what you knew.  Not whatever you found off the internet. :flowstone:

Offline0xYg3n
el cid
 User Gallery

Re: so your freind has a genius chemistry idea [Re: Dr_T]
    #58125 - 06/15/08 08:07 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Dr_T said:
Quote:

0xYg3n said:

Why don't you tell me everything you know about 5-htp.  Give me something to laugh about.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epinephrine

OfflineTangerines
Grease Wizard
Male

#58127 - 06/15/08 08:09 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Lay off the :meff:, srsly man.

OfflineIamasmoker
imachavel
Male

#58129 - 06/15/08 08:10 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

i already knew that trytophan becomes mildly poisonous in the liver thanks to enzymatic change and that it's used in proteins, as is phenylalanine

i know that tryptophan is converted into 5 htp and then converted into serotonin

i didn't know about 60 parts tryptophan being converted into one part vitamin b3, but i'm guessing vitamin b3 is very important

oh well.........

--------------------
my rating of flavoraid:

and this shit... "I like to drink tea, lift weights, punch shit, have sex with girls"....

is gay as f**k

OfflineDr_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

#58131 - 06/15/08 08:11 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

0xYg3n said:
Quote:

Dr_T said:
Quote:

0xYg3n said:

I knew it, didn't have to look it up.
Not bragging, just saying.

--------------------
MistaUNGA said:
be sure to slap a sticker on there and take a pic, cuz otherwise it didn't happen!

Offline0xYg3n
el cid
 User Gallery

#58134 - 06/15/08 08:12 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

:ilold:

You don't know fucking shit about 5-htp.

Invisibleltd
 User Gallery

#58142 - 06/15/08 08:18 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Quote:

OfflineIamasmoker
imachavel
Male

#58146 - 06/15/08 08:21 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

well shit dude

you know shit about your mom bro, like the way her vagina feels....

wtf do you know, ROFLMAO

nothing, you just repeat yourself or some shit

why don't you be the chemistry god and do what entropymancer does.. he may be full of himself, but he knows what he preaches. you gotta educate me on what i don't know

if it aint there, you don't have it

--------------------
my rating of flavoraid:

is gay as f**k

Offline0xYg3n
el cid
 User Gallery

#58147 - 06/15/08 08:21 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Dr_T said:
Quote:

0xYg3n said:
Quote:

Dr_T said:
Quote:

0xYg3n said:

I knew it, didn't have to look it up.
Not bragging, just saying.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norepinephrine

OfflineDr_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

#58150 - 06/15/08 08:23 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

0xYg3n said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norepinephrine

My bad- I bow to your wikiskillz.

--------------------
MistaUNGA said:

OfflineIamasmoker
imachavel
Male

#58153 - 06/15/08 08:27 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

no dr. t

you don't know shit

this guy really has it

that's like if i made an entire thread just saying

dr t you don't know shit

dr t you don't know shit

dr t you don't know shit

dr t you don't know shit

fuck dude, didn't you know? this guy discovered and synthesized 5 htp

with his dad, while they blew each other. it was love, candles, intellectual stimulation, chemistry discoveries, hot sex. what more could you get from your dad?

--------------------
my rating of flavoraid:

is gay as f**k

InvisibleOmbient
ɥɐɹq ɹǝqos

#58154 - 06/15/08 08:28 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Bro I already made natural LSD in my bath tub, it's been done.

I jacked the anhydrous ammonia from a farm and one of my dawgs works at the pharmacy so I got mad ephedrine hook-up.

OfflineDr_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

#58157 - 06/15/08 08:30 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Iamasmoker said:
no dr. t

you don't know shit

Oh, I know shit.

But not 5-htp. Don't even know what it is, though I've seen it on teh web. I'm not even sure if it's real, for that matter.

But if it's in Wikipedia, that's good enough for me. We all create a mutually-tolerable reality there.

--------------------
MistaUNGA said:

Offline0xYg3n
el cid
 User Gallery

#58161 - 06/15/08 08:33 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

You and Dr T need to find a room...pronto!

OfflineIamasmoker
imachavel
Male

#58166 - 06/15/08 08:34 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

oh fuck dude

didn't you know?

me and my freind fuckin ran the lab and shit

i mean, wtf do these fags know

i mean, i got 20 freinds at the otd that'll let me suck their balls

so it's all good, they'll verify that I fuckin MAPPED the enzyme that turns 5 htp into serotonin

hold up.. my mom is bringing me some tampons dude, i'll get back to you man

--------------------
my rating of flavoraid:

is gay as f**k

InvisibleOmbient
ɥɐɹq ɹǝqos

#58167 - 06/15/08 08:35 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

butt secks?

InvisibleAgent00
Kickin it for Christ

Re: so your freind has a genius chemistry idea [Re: Ombient]
    #58169 - 06/15/08 08:35 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Omni said:
Bro I already made natural LSD in my bath tub, it's been done.

I jacked the anhydrous ammonia from a farm and one of my dawgs works at the pharmacy so I got mad ephedrine hook-up.

:hillbilly: no way d00d hook it up with the formula.....on the lot.

OfflineDr_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

#58172 - 06/15/08 08:37 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

0xYg3n said:
You and Dr T need to find a room...pronto!

But enough about me-
tell us more about 5-htp. Please?

What is it? Why is it?
What's it do? Why does it do it?

And... whatever else I need to know.

--------------------
MistaUNGA said:

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order